• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue predatar 7.62 vs others

Re: Larue predatar 7.62 vs others

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That 10000 per rifle is a lot more than just the rifle. Have you ever looked at everything that comes in a M110 deployment kit? It's a lot of gear. I would have to see a breakdown of what they are actually purchasing before I could make a judgement about the cost.</div></div>

Looks like it could add up quickly enough.

http://dc402.4shared.com/doc/DmhORWD_/preview.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will gladly concede what turned into a dumb arguement so we can stop cloging this poor guys thread. I just hope I got my point across.... </div></div>

Well, you got <span style="font-style: italic">a</span> point across...

The army doesn't always make the best decisions, but I am thankful that we are not running around with DPMS SASSes and Savage BAs. Good Grief.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will gladly concede what turned into a dumb arguement so we can stop cloging this poor guys thread. I just hope I got my point across.... </div></div>

Well, you got <span style="font-style: italic">a</span> point across...

The army doesn't always make the best decisions, but I am thankful that we are not running around with DPMS SASSes and Savage BAs. Good Grief. </div></div>

Lol, it's not just the army man corruption is DOD wide.... I'm not really a brand name fanboy. If everything works like it's supposed to and I hit what i'm aiming at I don't give a shit what it's called.

That wasn't sarcasm. I am genuinely glad.

The other posters are correct. The prices being thrown around are for a package and a complete contract with support. Pointing out you can buy an unsupported bare bones rifle for less is crazy talk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That wasn't sarcasm. I am genuinely glad.

The other posters are correct. The prices being thrown around are for a package and a complete contract with support. Pointing out you can buy an unsupported bare bones rifle for less is crazy talk. </div></div>

Any proof behind this? Like I said the numbers I used were stated as the cost for the rifles themselves. I mean shit the cost for the whole package could have been way more if they have seperate contracts through leupold, pelican, dewey, etc, etc.....

Dude, I just showed you a pic of what comes shipped from Remington. Remington put together the rifle/chassis/optics/suppressor package. Read the military times article...clearly states the rifle, case, magazines, suppressor, Leupold (with mount), maintenance kit, etc. Remington took back the old 700 receivers and turned them into M2010s. They took the stripped parts and sold them as "M24-Rs" to active and former military members, police, and some civilians.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, I just showed you a pic of what comes shipped from Remington. Remington put together the rifle/chassis/optics/suppressor package. Read the military times article...clearly states the rifle, case, magazines, suppressor, Leupold (with mount), maintenance kit, etc. Remington took back the old 700 receivers and turned them into M2010s. They took the stripped parts and sold them as "M24-Rs" to active and former military members, police, and some civilians.
</div></div>

Shit maybe your right.... But it looks like the army is getting Remington M4 too. We all know who makes Remingtons AR line... DPMS and bushmaster! lol

http://www.guns.com/us-army-ends-exclusive-m4-contract-colt-buys-remington-7235.html

Neither of us can comment on the 24,000 Remington M4s the army is allegedly buying. However, the US government took ownership of the M4 TDP from Colt. I'd imagine any gun the Army would buy would undoubtedly follow the M4 TDP, which is not a rack grade Bushmaster or DPMS.

I have a friend that works for a place that supplies bolts to them and he has said production has been very high recently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither of us can comment on the 24,000 Remington M4s the army is allegedly buying. However, the US government took ownership of the M4 TDP from Colt. I'd imagine any gun the Army would buy would undoubtedly follow the M4 TDP, which is not a rack grade Bushmaster or DPMS.

I have a friend that works for a place that supplies bolts to them and he has said production has been very high recently. </div></div>

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout...with-remington/

You think it's a fluke that remington wins 2 contracts with the Army or is it that they make the best, most accuracy, most reliable firearms??? No, it's all about money. Hey man i'll go back to my original point to make it simple.... To buy a gun based off a military contract is retarded. I've shot many many many rifles, smgs, and machine guns while i was in and none of them were more accurate or reliable than the stuff I own or the stuff my friends own...

No, your original point was that a Savage 110 BA would do everything the XM2010 would do and more at a fraction of the cost.

Who said the Remington is the most accurate rifle available? There are more important things to consider than simply accuracy.

Nobody said a person should base their purchase solely off what our military does. You'd be hard-pressed to find somebody that would argue the M24s are superior to AI AWs, TRG-22s, etc.

Again, have you handled a Remington produced M4? You're constantly speaking only on speculations. You don't even know that you don't know.

ETA:

Clicked your little link:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifles will be made at Remington’s factory in Ilion, N.Y., from the Colt technical data package and will cost about $673.10 a copy. That’s a significantly lower price than the final order of Colt produced M4A1s the government paid $1221 for in a 2010 contract.</div></div>

What do you know? I was right without trying. The Remington M4s aren't produced by Bushmaster/DPMS and WILL follow the Colt TDP
wink.gif
So do you want to make the case Bushmasters and DPMS or Rock River even, are superior quality to Colt? If so, why would Remington follow the Colt TDP?

The article also alludes to one possible reason is that Colt was awarded another contract and is already at full production capacity. Back to one of my original point, the contractor must have the logistics---something that it is likely Savage does not have.

Go back to rule number 1. When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

OP: sorry, I shouldn't have let the ramblings of this dude force me to drive your thread so far off topic. I wholeheartedly apologize. I couldn't resist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, your original point was that a Savage 110 BA would do everything the XM2010 would do and more at a fraction of the cost.

Who said the Remington is the most accurate rifle available? There are more important things to consider than simply accuracy.

Nobody said a person should base their purchase solely off what our military does. You'd be hard-pressed to find somebody that would argue the M24s are superior to AI AWs, TRG-22s, etc.

Again, have you handled a Remington produced M4? You're constantly speaking only on speculations. You don't even know that you don't know.

ETA:

Clicked your little link:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifles will be made at Remington’s factory in Ilion, N.Y., from the Colt technical data package and will cost about $673.10 a copy. That’s a significantly lower price than the final order of Colt produced M4A1s the government paid $1221 for in a 2010 contract.</div></div>

What do you know? I was right without trying. The Remington M4s aren't produced by Bushmaster/DPMS and WILL follow the Colt TDP
wink.gif
So do you want to make the case Bushmasters and DPMS or Rock River even, are superior quality to Colt? If so, why would Remington follow the Colt TDP?

The article also alludes to one possible reason is that Colt was awarded another contract and is already at full production capacity. Back to one of my original point, the contractor must have the logistics---something that it is likely Savage does not have.

Go back to rule number 1. When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

OP: sorry, I shouldn't have let the ramblings of this dude force me to drive your thread so far off topic. I wholeheartedly apologize. I couldn't resist. </div></div>

Noooooooooooooo, I was making a point that using the savage as an example and i said multiple times after i'm not saying one rifle is better than the other. My 2 original post:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a reason Remington and DPMS didn't get the SASS contract... Reliability and repeatable accuracy were failings for both. </div></div>

More like they probably weren't the lowest bidder and the CEO didn't suck officer dick... The military's accuracy standards for small arms of any type aren't really high... Wait, Remington did get the Army's sniper rifle contract sooooo I guess they bob on that nob. </div></div>

Really? Weren't the lowest bidder? Do you know anything of how the competition went? They didn't even make it to bidding. They were bounced out because they didn't meet required accuracy and durability standards as outlined in the product request.

Not to mention... you seriously think DPMS and Remington actually would have had a more expensive product than KAC? What are you smoking???? I'm not even a very big fan of KAC... but you'd seriously have to have your head inserted into your 5th point of contact to think their price was the lowest... or that DPMS or Remington could out perform them on a platform that is their bread and butter... in production longer than the current Armalite has been producing the AR-10 (which, by the way... they used a KAC SR-25 for testing and design when working on the current AR-10). KAC made the AR-10 platform what it is today... and they are the only manufacture with a sizeable and long standing history of military service- which no doubt helped to refine their design.

Remington took the contract for the XM2010 because no one other than, I believe Crane had anything to offer that would meet the Army's needs and come in at a reasonable price point. By allowing Remington to buy back all of the parts pulled from the receiver, that pushed the total program costs even lower- it is almost a certainty that Crane would not have done this.

Oh and what do you call a "high" accuracy standard... The CSASS request shows a requirement of 3/4moa... Pretty respectable on a semi-auto. I agree that a requirement of a "minimum 1moa" is a little loose for the M2010- but then again, the M24 had the same requirement and consistently produced 3/4 moa with 118LR. </div></div>

Sorry! I hate getting off subject but I would like to retort.

Chill, I was partly joking. The lowest bidder nooooo probably not, but sucking D and payoffs to get the contract I guarantee thats true. The Marines Corps paid 8.3 million for 803 M110 rifles... Really $10,336 per rifle??? Because it's the best all around semi-auto 308 AR available??? Nooooooo.... Same with Remingtons xm2010, 28 million for 2,500 rifles AND they chose the 300 win mag over the 338 Lapua! WTF... $11,200 dollars for a rifle that a $1800 Savage 110BA in 338l could more than likely out perform.... Using military contracts as a test of quality is usually a joke with some exceptions... That's why I laugh when people use mil-spec to reference toughness. I know the shit I was issued and tested wasn't the latest or greatest.</div></div>

Keep digging
wink.gif

Are you prepared to provide evidence yet?

Your point that a there was a cheaper alternative that met the standards from the M110? Savage would out perform a XM2010? And that military adoption is a poor reflection of quality?

Let's have it. What is the "better" alternative that cost less than the KAC system that met their standards? What is the cheaper alternative that outperformed the XM2010 that met their standards? What are the poor quality firearms we're fielding, solely based on "officer dick sucking"? But somehow, their glass trials were solely based on quality, right? Fact is, for most contracts, there is a quality standard, budget, and logistical requirements that must be met.

I'm finished here. You are free to jabber to yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep digging
wink.gif
</div></div>

really.... Your internet toughness is quite intimidating..... Come on keep twisting my words... I can admit when i'm wrong when presented with proof/facts... You just make yourself look dumb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep digging
wink.gif

Are you prepared to provide evidence yet?

Your point that a there was a cheaper alternative that met the standards from the M110? Savage would out perform a XM2010? And that military adoption is a poor reflection of quality?

Let's have it. What is the "better" alternative that cost less than the KAC system that met their standards? What is the cheaper alternative that outperformed the XM2010 that met their standards? What are the poor quality firearms we're fielding, solely based on "officer dick sucking"? But somehow, their glass trials were solely based on quality, right? Fact is, for most contracts, there is a quality standard, budget, and logistical requirements that must be met.

I'm finished here. </div></div>

Quit putting words in my mouth by twisting what I said..

Why shit I can do it with a remington if you would like

Remington 700 Police MLR 338 Lapua $1800
XLR HD Chassis or JPE Chassis with folding stock around $1500
Schmidt Bender PM II 5-25x56 $3500
ADM Recom 34mm 20moa mount $180
Pelican Rifle Case $230
YHM Q.D. Phantom .338 $800
ANY good drag bag $300
and about $1000 for all the other little shit....

$9310... That's a gun I would rather have and could hold up just as good and those are all retail prices with disturber and dealer mark up.... I mean shit man all that is quality, is below budget, and companys that can meet demand...

I'll keep going... Lets take out all that dealer/disturber mark up. We have about a $7-7200 rifle there then lets add a $1000 for extra service/parts per rifle. That's around $8200 times 2,500 rifles.. I just saved the government $7,500,000 on a rifle with a longer range capability... hmmmmm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This one time i farted and a corn kernal shot out </div></div>

Did it hit the fire and *POP* into chocolate covered popcorn?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'll keep going... </div></div>

937202-facepalm_implied_super.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'll keep going... Lets take out all that dealer/disturber mark up. We have about a $7-7200 rifle there then lets add a $1000 for extra service/parts per rifle. That's around $8200 times 2,500 rifles.. I just saved the government $7,500,000 on a rifle with a longer range capability... hmmmmm </div></div>

By all means you feel free to deploy with a savage, but please don't ask others to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L3IRQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'll keep going... Lets take out all that dealer/disturber mark up. We have about a $7-7200 rifle there then lets add a $1000 for extra service/parts per rifle. That's around $8200 times 2,500 rifles.. I just saved the government $7,500,000 on a rifle with a longer range capability... hmmmmm </div></div>

By all means you feel free to deploy with a savage, but please don't ask others to. </div></div>

What????? Can you read?

FYI, those prices are for the entire deployment package- it includes everything- down to extra scope caps, torque wrenches, otis field cleaning kit and bore snake. Yes, scope and supressor are included. And considering the chassis for the M2010 is about $3500 alone.... It's really not bad price.

As for the Rem M4 contract... which is currently held up in court... You do realize those came in at around $500 per rifle right? Since they must hold the same standards as the Colt, this is simply a cost pay-off.

Is DOD contracting shady? Absolutely- just look at the Army's adoption of the Interceptor Body Armor... and the fact that the contracting authority took an exec position at point blank when he retired... with stock options... But does that mean they are buying over-priced, inferior equipment? Not necessarily.

As for the M110/SR25/Mk11... Is it the best AR-10 style rifle made? Perhaps not. However, it is the best made rifle from a company that can legitimately support the size of the contract.

And yes, the Army does contract the service for the sniper rifle systems they buy- that is built into the contract to by the weapon. We do not have the structure the USMC does for our precision rifles. The vast majority of work done service-internal is done by the snipers themselves; Armorers have little to no work responsibility on the rifles. If it is beyond the scope of the sniper, it usually gets set out to either the manufacture or a third party. I don't know if this is really the smartest route to take, but apparently the penny pinchers feel it is more economical, or more time efficient.

Good post DP. Probably plowing the oceans though. The information's in this thread, and has been. I expect it will continue to be met with "Can you read??!! You are making yourself look dumb!!! SAVAGE!!!!!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good post DP. Probably plowing the oceans though. The information's in this thread, and has been. I expect it will continue to be met with "Can you read??!! You are making yourself look dumb!!! SAVAGE!!!!!" </div></div>

Hi-Point for the win!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI, those prices are for the entire deployment package- it includes everything- down to extra scope caps, torque wrenches, otis field cleaning kit and bore snake. Yes, scope and supressor are included. And considering the chassis for the M2010 is about $3500 alone.... It's really not bad price.

As for the Rem M4 contract... which is currently held up in court... You do realize those came in at around $500 per rifle right? Since they must hold the same standards as the Colt, this is simply a cost pay-off.

Is DOD contracting shady? Absolutely- just look at the Army's adoption of the Interceptor Body Armor... and the fact that the contracting authority took an exec position at point blank when he retired... with stock options... But does that mean they are buying over-priced, inferior equipment? Not necessarily.

As for the M110/SR25/Mk11... Is it the best AR-10 style rifle made? Perhaps not. However, it is the best made rifle from a company that can legitimately support the size of the contract.

And yes, the Army does contract the service for the sniper rifle systems they buy- that is built into the contract to by the weapon. We do not have the structure the USMC does for our precision rifles. The vast majority of work done service-internal is done by the snipers themselves; Armorers have little to no work responsibility on the rifles. If it is beyond the scope of the sniper, it usually gets set out to either the manufacture or a third party. I don't know if this is really the smartest route to take, but apparently the penny pinchers feel it is more economical, or more time efficient. </div></div>

I'm glad you were able to see my main point was about military contracts whether is was entirely right or not. Unlike the small amount of the children that roam these forums.

Now, do i believe that remington got both contracts because they are delivering the best product for the price? No.... I've worked for the DOD, DOS, and i'm currently a contractor for the DOJ. From my experience government contracts are almost never awarded to the best product to cost ratio, but like I said there are exceptions....

As for the Marines Corps Weapons Training Battalion Precision Weapons Section in Quantico. It's small..... and as far as I know they still assemble and do the M40's maintainance there, but the active duty Marine Corps Sniper community is smaller. I'm not sure how much smaller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That maybe true for the army. I know the Marine Corps does maintance in house unless that's changed since I got out. Even at 3 times the cost that's $5,400...</div></div>

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and speculate that you weren't a contracting officer while in the Marines.

Also, it's spelled Marine Corps... not Marines Corps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, do i believe that remington got both contracts because they are delivering the best product for the price? No.... <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">I've worked for the DOD, DOS, and i'm currently a contractor for the DOJ.</span></span> From my experience government <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">contracts are almost never awarded to the best product to cost ratio</span></span>, but like I said there are exceptions....</div></div>

You do realize with that statement you didn't do yourself any favors in terms of argument right? Lol... You just belittled your own services...

Contracts are based on getting job done at the best price, like mentioned before quality of how it gets done is not alway a major factor... And many companies shoot themself in the foot by under bidding to say they won the contract. I am as well a DoD contractor and I see it every day in regard to goods and services. Now take that how u want... But its fact of the government game

And as far as original topic... Will hopefully have my GAP-10 waiting on me when I get home from deployment from my own research and from info from multiple forums and internet reviews and actually handling a friend's, both systems...I fell in love with the gap and the "make it how u want it" ability over the OBR sold me...sorry but I'm not a cookie cutter kind of guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, do i believe that remington got both contracts because they are delivering the best product for the price? No.... <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">I've worked for the DOD, DOS, and i'm currently a contractor for the DOJ.</span></span> From my experience government <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">contracts are almost never awarded to the best product to cost ratio</span></span>, but like I said there are exceptions....</div></div>

You do realize with that statement you didn't do yourself any favors in terms of argument right? Lol... You just belittled your own services... </div></div>

Wow your a quick one... You think because i work for or have worked for a company or government agency that I wouldn't call them out on their bullshit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That maybe true for the army. I know the Marine Corps does maintance in house unless that's changed since I got out. Even at 3 times the cost that's $5,400...</div></div>

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and speculate that you weren't a contracting officer while in the Marines.

Also, it's spelled Marine Corps... not Marines Corps. </div></div>

No shit Sherlock... It's called a typo. I make mistakes like everyone else.

I am a contractor and having worked with them and on them I have a decent understanding of them....