• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue vs. Daniel Defense

WtxShooter

Gun loving dad!
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
Lubbock, TX
So I've always wanted a LaRue PredatObr but didn't have the financial means to do so till now. I currently have a Daniel Defense DD5, and I'm now curious if anyone has experience with the 2. I'm curious if there is enough to move to the Larue now. I have a coworker that is interested in my DD, so it would be financially easier to do so, just not sure it's worth the trouble and the wait. The DD5 has been great, so I really have no complaints at all. Just really wanna know if anyone can honestly compare the two. Thanks in advance for the help.

Reactions: RTV and jp_over
While DD makes great rifles, the t’obr is in a different league. Better barrel. Switch barrel system. Billet everything.

The only downside and it’s a big one, is the price. Especially for replacement barrels.

Reactions: Austinjunks
The tOBR AR10 is a phenomenal rifle. I like it is as much as my Knights ECC but for different reasons

I like my tOBR AR15 over anything else I have or still own including LWRC, DD and POF.

You won't go wrong and if you do, you can always sell it for a trivial loss or no loss

I love my DD's, both that I own are great rifles. One is one of my 3 gun rifles that I have literally beat to death for 4 years. I've shot out a couple barrels. Nothing but good things to say about Daniel Defense.

I waited in line for 8 months for a 7.62 OBR. They offered me a "field grade" barrel if I was tired of waiting, which I was. But I had zero interest in an OBR with a marginal barrel. they had no idea when the rifle would actually be done. So I went another route and built a fully custom 6.5 Creedmoor from the ground up. I saved about $800 and ended up with a rifle that had every single component that I wanted, and it's a tack driver that's an absolute pleasure to shoot.

I would buy another DD, but at Larue prices, I would rather build another custom.

I have owned Larue, DD, and several generations of Noveske. Out of the three I would say the Larue had the highest quality machining and best overall fit and finish, although all are top flight ARs. Every pin and screw on the Larue fit perfectly. Every machined edge was perfectly chamfered. No rattles. They really are beautifully-machined rifles. I totally understand the Larue bug, although at the end of the day your DD is just as reliable and almost as accurate.

Reactions: Docsherm
That's kind of my hold up. My DD is the second one I've owned, (a DD4V11, and now this DD5), and both were the most reliable and most accurate AR platform guns I've owned, in their respective calibers. The LaRue, while I've really heard nothing but great things about them, I'm just concerned that it won't "wow" me to where I won't regret selling my DD5. But I've never heard anyone regret owning one, that's for sure.

I have shot and owned several top of the line ar's such as DD's, KAC, PWS, POF, Noveske, and Larue. While all these have a special place in my heart for different reasons, i trust my life with the Larue. I work in law enforcement, and although I'm just a gun enthusiast and by no means an expert, I have not had any problems with my predatOBR and carry it every day with me.

But it depends on the application you you want it for... With any higher end firearm, you will pay for what you get. Some of my favorite guns are the ones I built over time. I would buy the parts I wanted when I had the money and I had fun learning more about the firearm because of the build.

If I could give one piece of advise it would be do NOT sell a firearm you really like or love for another. I have done that and although I upgraded the firearm I lost the sentimental aspect of one I sold. Wait till you have the means to buy what you want without selling any to upgrade.

Reactions: jp_over
I personally have not been impressed with Larue rifles. For the price, I also think a full custom is a better way to go. In my opinion, GAP and JP make better rifles and I kept those.

I also really like my Daniel Defense DD5V1, although it is a little overgassed but it fires, feeds and extracts everything flawlessly with or without a supressor. I guess it is better to have realibilty. They did make some design improvements with their extractor and the way that their BCG goes together, as well as smoothing some edges. If the DD5 had an adjustable gas block on it, that would be a near perfect set-up. The rail is a lot thinner than most large-frame ARs and for me that is a nice ergonomic improvement.

If your DD5 is reliable and accurate, ask yourself why you want to sell it for another rifle. I am sure Larue rifles are phenomenal, but few things in life live up to the hype- and even fewer live up to hype fueled expectations. How much better than the DD5 would the Larue need to shoot to in order to really blow your hair back?

Selling and replacing a rifle, to me, is a bit like going to see the sequel to a movie that created a genre. The sequel may well be a great movie in its own right, but the first defined greatness. To meet expectations, the sequel has to reinvent what it means to be great.

i mean, if the DD5 is 100% reliable and sub moa “all day long,” is the Larue exceeding your wildest expectations if it is 100% and sub moa all day long?

If your DD5 is reliable and accurate, ask yourself why you want to sell it for another rifle. I am sure Larue rifles are phenomenal, but few things in life live up to the hype- and even fewer live up to hype fueled expectations. How much better than the DD5 would the Larue need to shoot to in order to really blow your hair back?

Selling and replacing a rifle, to me, is a bit like going to see the sequel to a movie that created a genre. The sequel may well be a great movie in its own right, but the first defined greatness. To meet expectations, the sequel has to reinvent what it means to be great.

i mean, if the DD5 is 100% reliable and sub moa “all day long,” is the Larue exceeding your wildest expectations if it is 100% and sub moa all day long?

Yeah, this is the part I’ve struggled with the most. My DD5 is just a fantastic gun, and I’ve never had a issue one with it. Suppressed or not, it just shoots smooth and accurate all the time, and does exactly what I want it to do. I think I may just have to wait until I have the funds available to buy the LaRue outright. I really can’t justify getting rid of this gun when it’s never failed me or let me down. Thanks for all your advice guys.

"I personally have not been impressed with Larue rifles. For the price, I also think a full custom is a better way to go. In my opinion, GAP and JP make better rifles and I kept those."

I know this post off topic from the OP but I have to agree with whats being said here. I received two Larue PredetOBR' 5.56's some years ago. After inspecting them, I concluded I would have to change out trigger, and butt stock to meet my needs and I didnt like the feel of the fat quad hand guard. I sold the two rifle unfired and went back to JP ordering rifles with the barrel, hand guard style, butt stock, ect ect that I want. With that said, I have many many friends that own Larues and wear their Larue caps proudly everyday. They are great tactical AR's and I wouldnt hesitate to buy one if thats what I was needing.

I vote stick with the DD. I too have wanted a Larue for years, but that price has always kept them at bay. With getting my first DD a couple years ago, and building several rigs myself, I have no desire for the Larue anymore.

I certainly have have never heard anything bad about their weapons, but that price just isn’t worth it IMO. As you said, the “wow” factor for the extra cash will probably be little to none. I’ve experienced this many times and have learned the is a point of diminishing return for the costs.

Now if I had unlimited funds, I’d go with a KAC. But if money matters at all, I’d stick with the DD. As other have said, they’re amazing rifles for the cost IMO.

Reactions: Conquest50
I start by saying, I don’t personally have a Larue. I have a GAP-10, and a DD 5V1. So, I feel like I have a solid basis of comparison. I look at the rifles as having a different role. The DD is fantastic, phenomenal, and all the other positive words. But, so is the GAP. I look at the DD as a battle rifle, DMR type rifle. It’s a MOA gun that I’ve taken out to 600-700 yds often. It has either a Razor 1-6, or a Burris XTRII 1-8 on it. I’d take that rifle anywhere, and I’m 100% confident in it, within its limitations. The GAP is a true precision rig. I have shot multiple sub minute 5 shot groups with it. My GAP wears a S&B 3-20, and just the other day I was nailing steel at 1144 yds with it. I’d feel comfortable taking my DD to heck and back, but my GAP is always going to be my choice for precision.

I believe the Larue is more like the GAP in that sense. More of a precision rifle. I’d wait, get both, and have two of the best rifles made, for their respective roles.

Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions and asses.....everyone has one.

I would wait and save for a little longer. I almost traded in my SR15 on an AUG. I scraped my pennies for another few weeks and bought the AUG, and kept the SR15. I am very glad I did. The outcome is worth the wait. On another note, it may take a while to get the LaRue. You might be able to put down a deposit on the Larue and pay the rest when it is finished. Don't quote me on that, I have no idea how LaRue handles builds.

OP - in the spirit of not being crushed, keep your DD and grab a used Larue (plenty of them on arfcom). That way, if you get it and it doesn't blow you away, you could probably get rid of it and lose next to nothing. I've been in your boat several times. To me, it's more of an issue of just wanting to try something different. Not necessarily that the performance may be better, but it's always nice to personally see what all the talk/hype is about certain products.

I have an LGS that has a used 16" OBR 7.62 on the rack, it's wearing a Leupy Mk8 1.1-8x optic. A really nice setup, though I still can't get over Larue's handguards, I'm not a huge fan of them. They will let it go for the nominal fee of 6800.00!!!

Reactions: mgrs
I've been on the fence about this question as well. Good discussion and info.

To the OP, what did you end up doing?

Last edited:
I have a DD M4A1 Block II and love it. For a chrome lined barrel, it’s really accurate. I’m usually less than 1.5 MOA at 100 with IMI 55g M193. No functional issues whatsoever. I have no experience with Larue rifles.

I bought a LaRue PredatOBR with a work bonus and loved that rifle. This rifle was the first premium large frame AR I ever owned and was very impressed with the fit, finish, and function of the rifle. I traded it for a GA Precision bolt gun, and it was the best trade ever made. I had an oppertunity to play with a DD5v1 for a few months that I picked up second hand as a LEO trade in. With very little effort, that rifle shot MOA with MAGTECH Sniper ammo that has the 168 Grain SMK loaded. Both rifles have a place in my gun safe, but niether are present right now. I currently own a N6 from Noveske with the switchblock and have that rifle running very well with 175 grain reloads and FGMM with the 185 grain jugernaught ammo. To the OP, i don't envy your choice... but you will end up with a good rifle either way.

For SBR, I use the DD mk18. For intermediate distance Larue predatobr.
For long range 308, Larue OBR. I can’t comment on DD 7.62 since I don’t have one.

Last edited:
OP - in the spirit of not being crushed, keep your DD and grab a used Larue (plenty of them on arfcom). That way, if you get it and it doesn't blow you away, you could probably get rid of it and lose next to nothing. I've been in your boat several times. To me, it's more of an issue of just wanting to try something different. Not necessarily that the performance may be better, but it's always nice to personally see what all the talk/hype is about certain products.

I have an LGS that has a used 16" OBR 7.62 on the rack, it's wearing a Leupy Mk8 1.1-8x optic. A really nice setup, though I still can't get over Larue's handguards, I'm not a huge fan of them. They will let it go for the nominal fee of 6800.00!!!

This. Used OBRs go for ~2200-2500 in excellent, low round count condition right now. The older LW-barreled guns are almost always shooters and the guns that built LT's reputation.

Two different rifles. Ive had two PredatOBRs and currently have a DD5V3. For punching groups, the LaRue was amazing, but I quickly found its flaw when using hotter rounds, and it would just shit itself every 3-4 rounds. Larue tried sending me new mags, said put it back into the factory short buffer config (I had a PRS stock with rifle buffer), but then it just became worthless and wouldnt get more than 2 rounds at a time before a double feed, and no way to slow the carrier speed down. Ended up selling it as many of my other 308 guns with adjustable gas/piston worked a lot better with the hot rounds and suppressors, and gave up the 1/2-3/4 MOA for a consistent 1 MOA and reliability.

Accuracy wise, ive yet to shoot a more accurate semi auto than the LaRue, but it couldnt do what I wanted it to do, and while the best groups were printed with 175 SMKs at 2550 FPS in the 18 inch barrel (it would literally print 1/2 inch 5 shot groups one after another at 100 yards), I would get too frustrated with it destroying my Lapua brass and not being able to get through a mag reliably. Cant fault the gun, I just like my 308 bullets to fly at 2550-2600 because my furthest target was 1100 yards, and at that velocity, it would literally never miss as long as I did my part. I wanted a 20 inch barrel, but as others have stated, the sheer cost of their barrels makes it tough to swallow.

If youre going to run factory FGMM or similar, im sure it will be fine, but its a big chunk of change unless youre going to push it out to some extreme distances where it will really shine, or youre obsessed with tiny groups on paper. Majority of shooters wouldnt know the difference between a sub MOA gun and a 1-1.5 MOA battle rifle unless they have the glass and expensive ammo, as well as shooting techniques, to support it.