• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LaRue's New Bolt Gun

308plinker

Zero SD
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Tennessee
LaRue_Siete-8f34e.jpg

Hmm. Just received this in my inbox. Anyone put their hands on one of these yet?

It isn't my thing but Larue makes good stuff for the most part. It will be interesting to see how it is received in the market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Average guy
Got a pretty good thread going on it already, actually (not in Larue’s favor).

Reactions: Average guy
I tell what might be impressive is the fact that the gun is a barrel swap rifle. LaRue has spent some time testing the barrel swap with short action calibers, and Marks says it works pretty well. AI, Cadex and Barrett have good long action barrel swap guns, all of which are well over $5k. The LaRue short action barrel swap is under $3k and includes two barrels.

Now, where I have reservations is in the build out of the action and bolt. I know he has spent years of research and testing, so perhaps he has got it right, but very few gas gun manufacturers make the cross-over to high precision bolt guns. I am not saying LaRue did not do an superior job. I just have some reservations on how tight the groupings might be at a distance, and only user trials and feedback will tell.

I tell what might be impressive is the fact that the gun is a barrel swap rifle. LaRue has spent some time testing the barrel swap with short action calibers, and Marks says it works pretty well. AI, Cadex and Barrett have good long action barrel swap guns, all of which are well over $5k. The LaRue short action barrel swap is under $3k and includes two barrels.

Now, where I have reservations is in the build out of the action and bolt. I know he has spent years of research and testing, so perhaps he has got it right, but very few gas gun manufacturers make the cross-over to high precision bolt guns. I am not saying LaRue did not do an superior job. I just have some reservations on how tight the groupings might be at a distance, and only user trials and feedback will tell.

It doesn't help that Larue operates in a vacuum where the majority of feedback comes from his cult like supporters.

The rifle would look much different if he spent any time trying to genuinely collect feedback from the community that actually shoots a lot of bolt guns.

Good for him for developing an allegedly good quick change system. But the rest of the rifle seems like it needs a lot of work. You can definitely tell it was made by and for AR platform shooters.

The B/A looks pretty good, the chassis is hot garbage. Maybe they should take a cue from Terry Cross and develop an innovative chassis instead of regurgitate outdated, ugly shit. Epic Fail in the current configuration IMO.

Reactions: deersniper
I don't think he will sell many of these...

I don't think he has much of a following anymore.

Larue behind the times on everything. His claim to fame was the OBR and scope mounts and I don't know anyone who buys his scope mounts or OBRs anymore.

Reactions: deersniper
I’ve been in a situation where I really needed my larue AR-10 needed to fire and it did not, switched out to a different guy quickly and problem solved. Will not use another larue gun.

They should stick to making precisions parts for other guns lol

With the advancements in modern CNC machines the ability to turnout actions with the capabilities for quick change barrels is looking to be the norm now, the Seekins Havak Hit is a good example of that and at a Sub 2K price point.

There is a whole lot of wrong with how LaRue operates, he is just now selling 6.5CM Barrels for his PredatOBR line only took 10 years! So I wouldn't say LaRue is a reliable product source.

I've got more LaRue rifles than I care to admit all of which I've had rebarrel due to the BS XTRAXN chamber that basically makes the fired brass unusable especially in the large frame calibers (also depends what variation the barrel is). The last two OBRs I rebarreled I had to mill out the handguard because it was making contact with the barrel nut.

The OBR is still a solid platform with the true Monolithic 20 MOA top rail and free floating barrel design, well.. depending on what year it's made it could or could not be free floating.. but as you stated the designs are outdated and frankly overpriced and leaves the owner having to spend even more money on top of a $4200 to bring their rifles current with updated features.

Almost every product that comes out of that factory seems to be well lubed in snake oil, the "new" the Black and Tan rifles are a good example, taking the UU kits anodizing them and rebranding them as something special with a 2k price but you can buy the same 16" upper kit $750 and (2) lowers (1) Small Frame (1) Large Frame $400 a MBT trigger and $100 in lower parts kit and still be ahead and under $1500 with a bonus large frame lower to boot.

LaRue could be great again with a little innovation and some common sense... But let's not hold our breathe.

Last edited: