• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

laser range finder research

Re: laser range finder research

I have talked with Vec. and the PLRF 10 is the way I'am going. I tried the Newcom and thought the laser was a little weak for the money. I have nothing but good things about the PLRF product.

A very interesting topic, a lot of info in it. After I had read all of the post I had to think about the subject for a long time, first thing that hit my mind was #4000.00 for a Range Finder??? But then I got to thinking about the 338 Lapua I looked at that was on sale for $7500.00 so I can see if a person can afford a $4000.00 range finder most likely can own a $10,000.00 gun.
So my question is to those of you that are going to step up to these high quailty LRF, what are you useing NOW and how do they work and got how far.
Thanks
CAG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CAG55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So my question is to those of you that are going to step up to these high quailty LRF, what are you useing NOW and how do they work and got how far.
Thanks
CAG</div></div>

I carry both the Swarovski LaserGuide and a Leica CRF 1200. The Swaro will range farther but has a very large reticle and beam. I ranged an Elk in evening light at 1130 yards with it and a Wt deer at 1137, again in evening light. Both were taken 1 shot ea. so I feel that it was an accurate range. The Leica has a smaller beam and reticle. I feel this is more accurate on flat ground if you are trying to range only the animal. With the Leica I have ranged antelope at 1000 in evening light. In bright mid day sun. Swaro 1000 and Lieca 800. As for the very farthest of each on rock ledges or trees. Leica 1485, Swaro 1999. The problem with these units is you have to work hard with them in bright conditions. Plus the Swaro beam is too large for my taste.

The PLRF10 has a smaller beam than either and a fine crosshair that should be able to range "animal only" at much father distances in poor conditions. This is important for 1st round hits in a hunting application. That is what I seek.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,
Very good data you have gave me. I am trying to sell some guns and when I do get them sold I might buy the swarovski laser.
Again thank you!
CAG

First, I would like to Thank the members that posted about the PLRF10's. Your posts lead me to the purchase. I am so glad to finally have an LRF that will range past my effective range even in bright sun. And with the very small precise beam divergence of .3 x 1.5 mrad. !!!!

Just got em home. Tested it in the field before I purchased them. Then again when I got home. Here is the report.

Field test before purchase... in full mid-day sun... Off hand a bush at 1222 meters 3 for 3, exact 1222 each time. Moved to a small evergreen tree at 1808 meters. 3 times off hand 2 times on bags. The off hand readings 1807, 1808, 1808 meters. on bags 1808, 1808.

Got em home, switched to yards... still bright sun, walked it out to 2650 yards on rocks never a _ _ _ _ then to my target at 1562 yds from my drive pad.. no problem 1563 , 1564, 1562, Then, I drove out back of the house to get a mile from the 20" sq. white steel target. Bright sun, on the truck hood, on bags... 1762, 1762, 1763, 1761, 1762.... Never a miss and super fast readings. Plus I can see the reticle and readings ease. I'm sold.

Thank You!

Jeff

Broz,
so whats the farthest reading you have gotten with your 10??? can you get over 3K??? or is 2650 maxed out???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Broz,
so whats the farthest reading you have gotten with your 10??? can you get over 3K??? or is 2650 maxed out??? </div></div>

Remember, all my testing so far has been in bright sun conditions. I want to know what it will do in bad conditions. I definatly feel it will range farther than the 2650 yards, especially in morning or evening light. But I need to get in a spot to do it where I can walk it out.

Last evening I ranged an antelope in full sun at 1354. It was flat and I was only rangng the goat. If I held to the side or over I got nothing. This morning the same conditions on a black cow at 1700 something.. just over a mile.

One thing I have noticed in researching the models. The PLRF10 has a smaller beam divergence than the PLRF15. To me, this is kinda like the difference in the Leica CRF 1200 and the Swaro LaserGuide. Swaro uses a larger beam to get farther readings. But, if you want to be more precise and make sure you are ranging the target you are engaging and not ground or a near by bush, smaller is MUCH better.

Jeff

thanks for all the info on the PLRF-10 Broz,
who did you go through on the purchase???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for all the info on the PLRF-10 Broz,
who did you go through on the purchase??? </div></div>

It was a private sale, but I know of another.

PM inbound with details.

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">see the other threads on hooking the PLRF/SSF Software and KESTREL 4500 together.

Damn awesome fire interdiction tools.

Rent the wife out,...buy the tools!!!</div></div>

Do you happen to have a link can not find it with search.