• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

laser range finder research

Re: laser range finder research

i'm sure you got the very best, let me know how they workout for ya, i'm still in the market for a nice used pair.

I'm starting to think getting a high-end rangefinder like a Vector is the way to go - definitely cry once and watch it last 10+ years.

break it down over a 10 year period and 10 grand is cheap compared to ammo etc.

That's what I'm thinking. I feel like I've already wasted a few grand on different setups. Next time around I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a .mil grade rangefinder and expect it to last.

On the average joe side of this, my Bushnell Elite 1500 ranges out to 1500 fairly well in Louisiana heat. My shooting pardner had his range to a mile on a combine tractor. Not bad for $300.

Oh fudge! I've been lurking on this thread for a while and didn't chime in until I saw my buddy's name on a post. I did get a reading off a combine at a mile but the conditions were perfect. The Bushnell is good for the money but there have been some times I could not get a reading and should have been able to. That being said a question to you laser guys is if there is a laser that can be mounted on the rifle stock like an IR illuminator. Would be nice if the range finder is attached to the rifle without having to fumble with a seperate piece of equipment. Thank you.

The best would be If night force and a 3 mile laser range finder built into there scope.

I sold my swaro and got a newcon. Wanted a 4000 but things didn't work out and had to settle with a 2000. What a piece of junk. I offten can't hit stuff at 400 with it. Tried to email with no response. Havn't made the time to call newcon. It must be a bad one. I have a hard time believing they are all this bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sold my swaro and got a newcon. Wanted a 4000 but things didn't work out and had to settle with a 2000. What a piece of junk. I offten can't hit stuff at 400 with it. Tried to email with no response. Havn't made the time to call newcon. It must be a bad one. I have a hard time believing they are all this bad. </div></div>

I ordered one of these for a guy, and I hear ya, they are junk i think the farthest reading i got with this unit was 500M, needless to say he got his money back. you should of waited for the 4000CI's you can not compare the two even though they are from the same comp.

I agree with Skinny - I just went outside & found two of the farthest targets that I could see from my house & ranged them. Note that the other day I was able to get a reading off a truck at 2400+ yards.

Sorry for the fuzziness, that has more to do with my camera skills vs the optics of the Newcons.

2095yards1.jpg

1806yards.jpg

I'm running the 3000's currently, with desires to upgrade to the 4000's (potentially).

I just order the 4000CI and should have them in a couple of days. I hope they work good. Anybody running these?

Dar

I would really like to get you feedback on this rangefinder. I have contemplated upgrading to the 4000CI for 3 reasons.

Reason 1 is the fact that the optics on the 3000 are just mediocre, on the side where the digital reading is shown, that side of the bino has a green tinge to it.

Reason 2: When conditions are less than optimal, I hope that the 4000CI (with their added range) can pickup small targets. Don’t get me wrong the 3000 do a very good job & do better than anything else I have run across; however, I can always hope for more.

Reason 3: The yardage read out is in black… which works great during the day, but not so good at dusk or at night.

If you don’t want to post the review publically, please PM

I will post a review of the 4000CI. I should have them this week (hopefully). The way they talk at Newcom they work great. Not even in the same league as Leica and Swaros. Can't wait to find out.

dar,
i have a pair of 4000CI's, and am running them with deltaIV-LE, on my trimble nomad, just started using them to range in conjuction with the pda, a great set up, as for the newcons, i have ranged trees out to 2000M, but havent really tried anything further, i dont have any need for it past that distance just yet, but i got a great deal with these LRF's and i am very happy with them.

I'am going out west to shoot in a couple of weeks. I should be able to see for a long distance. I will post my results from there. Even 2000 yards rangefinding is a long ways but would be more happier with 3000 yards. I think this should be more realistic of the 4000CI.

I played with some today. So far the long thing I could range is 2012 yards. I need a little more ground to see the max distance. It hits under 2000 yards good. At 1600 yards very strong. First day to play with it. I will have to mess with it more. I will check lowlight conditions tonight. Kind of big and bulky. We post more after messing it.

I played with them more today. The farthest I could range something was 2030. They will range strong under 1600 yards. Don't think these was worth the money. Sending back. They are better than the Swaros but the price doesn't not justified the extra yardage. If I could hit a building at 3000 yards. I would think of keeping them but they don't. A lot of need features on this unit but ranging is the main tool I need.

Swaros do about 1600 yards and sometimes will reach out a little farther for less money. 4000CI is around $4700 and only range in the lower 2000 yards. They are also very bulky. Good unit but should be label 2500CI. This is just my 2 cents.

hey guy, i had some time yesterday to play with my vector rangefinder . and ill tell you what! i ranged two towers near where i live . i range the first one 3360y, i did it again just to make sure and the same 3360y. the fairest was 3975y ! i just thought that was amazing ! i don't have a camera so otherwise i would taken pics .

vector,..nice but why? the PLRF10 or even 15 is smaller and will range etc to 2500 and 3500 easily at less cost.

Or are you guys firing light artillery???

If you have the financial means. Might as well do it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dominique</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have the financial means. Might as well do it right. </div></div>
EXACTLY!!! i would.

Hmmmm,...maybe too much of a good thing ,...even the professional perps are now on the 15c instead of the vector4. Its a damn big piece of extra kit.

That said, if anyone wants to throw one away I am sure I could accomadate it :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm,...maybe too much of a good thing ,...even the professional perps are now on the 15c instead of the vector4. Its a damn big piece of extra kit.

That said, if anyone wants to throw one away I am sure I could accomadate it :)

</div></div>

Worth every ounce......laffin!, You wont see me misplace mine!! The optics are the best I've ever used for clarity and resolution.

Haha Exactly ! There the best I've used in the mil and civilian life .

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Sorry, didn't know how to place pictures in the message, figured it out.

I dont like the NF idea for two reasons....First you would have an all in one unit and it would have what we call a single point of failure. That sucker fails and you are toast hunting.

Secondly, if it was an all in one, what happens when you wish to take your other rifle shooting. You'd have to pak the NF rifle for ranging.

I shoot a 308 sometimes, my edge other times and my 375 snipe tac shortly. I like to have a range finder for this purpose. Last year while elk hunting, my swaro failed. One day it was reading 1,200 yards and the next day that same 1,200 was reading 50 yards. It was a good thing I carried my Leica 1200 as a back up. My 15 yr old dropped his first Bull Elk at 940 and I would have been pissed if I didn't have the back up.

I will be ordering the Vectronix PRLF10 next week. Mike Nolan at Vectronix sent me to one of his distributors for the unit. We tried the group buy thing, but they wanted 50 or so units for a very slight discount.

I thought it was not worth the energy trying to get 50 guys togther...... They are supposed to be real nice units for $3,700.

cheers,
zman

Dominique,
What is the vector ranger finder,,,who makes it? what model is it? How much is it? and what distances are you consistantly reading with it.

I am ready to buy the Vectronix PRLF unit next week, but may hold off if your vector is better. The PRLF ranges to a good 2,500 yards (so I've heard) and it's $3,700

Id like to hear more info from you on your Vector.

thanks
zman

shoot1760

Its a Vector 4 SR1 Mod B . Vectronix are out of Switzerland. 13.5K was the price . Im consistently reading out to 3,963 yards . The vector 4 is able to range out to 6 kilometers , which is about 3.6/ 3.7 miles . I love it the thing man! The PRLF is way cheaper , but its whatever you want man.

I stil have an AVIMO milspec rangefinder. It slightly smaller than a VECTOR and ranges to 10km. Has nice gating features etc.

These still come up occassionaly over here and are awesome kit.

Cost? Aa fraction of the NEWCON, VECTRONIX offerings. I still think the PLRF10 or 15 is more than anyone needs.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Guys,,,,

I have spoken with Mike Nolen from Vectronix back east,,,here is his email to me...We were going to do a group buy, but theres really no incentive...read the email..there is some contact info for his distys...chow
zman</span></span>

Actually, it’s more like for 51-100 units - $3700 X.985 (1.5% discount) or $3644.50 each. 50 units at $3700x.99 (1%) would be $3663,00 each.

You might want to call our distributors PRG and ADS to see if you can get better deals. Frank at PRG is 703-771-3003 and Aimee at ADS is 757-351-1279. I think they both have web sites.

Only restrictions on LRF’s is Export Control regulations by US Department of State. LRF’s are Significant Military Equipment (SME) in their definitions under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations. These cannot leave USA or be transferred (shown, used, etc.) by non-US persons in the USA – both actions are considered an Export under the ITAR.

Individuals in compliance with ITAR can buy one off with credit card from us. Charge is made at time of order, not delivery – so think of it as payment in advance.

PRG and ADS may have more favorable terms as they are small business operators.

BR,

Mike

Does the RLRF have the option to rane in yards?

Has anyone ranged game with this unit?

Also, anyone know what the beam devergence is?

Thank you for any info.

Jeff

Meters, yards and feet.

Excellent for ranging game.

PLRF10002.jpg

PLRF10.

vector001.jpg

Both units...

I just found the Beam Devergence of the PLRF 10. It is .3 x 1.5 mrad. So if I converted it correctly (please feel free to check my math) that is about 1 ft. x 4 1/2 ft. at 1000 yards. That is much smaller than any RF I have used. I really like the rectangular beams better than the round beams like the Swaro a (6' circle at 1000) The smaller rectangular beam is much more precise for ranging game on flat ground.

CRAP! Now you guys got me wanting one of these...

Jeff

I don't suppose there is any chance of finding a used PLRF10 is there?

Jff

Hmm, is the Vector really that big or the PLRF just that small?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm, is the Vector really that big or the PLRF just that small? </div></div>

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but IIRC Angelina Jolie uses a Vector (all hollywooded up) in MR. and Mrs. Smith in the desert scene where they first shoot at each other. Its big, but not too terribly so and not all that heavy.

Also make sure you have a tripod for it to calibrate the internal compass otherwise you look like a fool turning in circles looking up and down with it doing the process that way.