• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

late 90s Explorer, good value in a mild 4x4 rig?

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
My dad talked me out of my Wrangler Rubicon to use as a tow vehicle behind his RV, so now I find myself without 4-wheeled transport.

My days of rock crawling are over, so the ability to add lifts/winches/lockers is not necessary, but having enough room in back to sleep flat would be awesome (70" is enough space for me to sleep) and real 4wd for questionable roads while out hunting and playing.

I've looked at Xterras and 4runners and both seem pretty good, but they're expensive and they have timing belts which in the used market are rarely actually replaced. For less money in almost any year I can get a 4x4 Explorer on which the maintenance seems really simple. So far I'm partial to the XLT trim with the V6, I don't want leather/nav/power seats/sunroofs/etc and I don't plan to tow. The only thing that I really must have is 4wd and AC, and probably an automatic so the wife can drive it when I want to borrow her car for longer trips.

Anyone have any first hand experience with Explorers, especially the late 90s versions? They're everywhere so they must be good for something, I just worry that 'something' is either taking the kids to the mall or keeping up the mechanic's boat payments.
smile.gif

Re: late 90s Explorer, good value in a mild 4x4 rig?

IMO I'd save your coin and get a 4Runner, they are worth it. I have 230K on mine and never an issue...Runs like a top. I know a couple of guys who have over 400K. Every explorer I've seen with more than 75K looked like it was ready for the scrap yard. Good luck.

I had a '92 Exploder. I put 255k on it and when I sold it the engine was butter smooth. Electric Windows and air were shot, but it gave great highway service.

Seeing pages like this really makes me want to pony up the extra coin: http://mycolorado.org/4runner_camping.html

That's exactly what I want to do.

Gotta see if the same arrangement for the explorer, I'm sure google will show me the way.

I've talked to a few 4runner owners, and an xterra owner, but so far I've been unable to find anyone I know who currently owns an explorer. Several have owned them in the past but got rid of them for a variety of reasons and gone to FJ cruisers, the xterra, a Jeep, etc.

Looks like I'll be saving my money up and looking elsewhere.

Drove a 1998 Mountaineer until 2006,put around 100,000 miles on it. Very few problems, wife mostly drove it. Went to NM and AZ a few times, light 4 wheeling. They sit a little low and gas milage sucked. It was a 302 V-8. Was a joy to drive on trips.

Now in a 2011 Xterra Pro that I really like, locking dif, bilstien shocks, 16" tires, and lots of clearence. When it's time to trade again I'm keeping it and getting the wife a Subaru

I've owned both, the old Ranger and Explorer really never let me down, but when I sold them both (around 150k miles each) I knew that I was on borrowed time.

My wife drives an 01 4Runner still, it's required VERY little maintenance in the 10 years we've had it and shows no signs of major issues.

If it were my money then I'd go 4Runner.

An XJ Cherokee will run until it falls apart like the Bluesmobile. The only gripe about them is the rear main seal.

Pennies saved and I picked up a green over tan '99 4runner SR5 4x4 this weekend. I was going to go with an automatic, but after driving both transmissions even the wife said to go with the stick (even though it means she can't drive it now). She said I was grinning like an idiot driving the 5-speed and that's worth it in her book.
smile.gif

Very happy so far, now I just need to get some real tires for it.

4runner-m.jpg

Not to burst a gear crashers dream but modern automatic transmissions have developed to the point that they are VERY close to the mileages you can achieve with a manual. Much of the benefits of a manual have been nearly matched by auto's. Keep fluids changed for longevity on anything you have. Auto, stick, oil, coolant, PS, diffs, transfer case etc. Coolant changes big time on that Yota! Does not have to be a flush just a drain and refill every year.

Looks like it just came off the show room floor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to burst a gear crashers dream but modern automatic transmissions have developed to the point that they are VERY close to the mileages you can achieve with a manual. </div></div>

I've noticed that when shopping with the wife for her new ride. She's auto-only and in many cases the auto version of the econoboxes she looked at actually gave better mileage than the manual.

I found rock crawling 1000% easier with the auto in my rubicon, but the rest of the time I would have preferred a manual... maybe it's a control thing. The wife said all the levers in the 4runner look a little phallic (mine still has a lever for 4x4, not the dash mounted switch). Whatever. Levers are good, they tend not to break. If I could have gotten crank windows I would have, and am really happy not to have power seats.