• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Latest 6.5 wildcat

2clicks

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
New 6.5 Long Range on 6mm AR website 142 SMK @ 2,900+ fps Any thoughts or experience with this. Looking to build a 260 Remington but this New chambering may over rule if nobody finds any fault with this New 6.5 Long Range . Short action compatable. Let's hear it guys...???? Yeah just another 6.5 to add to the heap but it may be the best thing next to 6.5-284...

Re: Latest 6.5 wildcat

You have a link to this new 6.5?
A 260 Rem has little problem getting a 142gr SMK accurately moving at 2900...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have a link to this new 6.5?
A 260 Rem has little problem getting a 142gr SMK accurately moving at 2900...
</div></div>
6.5 Super LR

Hell my Creedmoor gets 2800fps now, was getting 2900fps with RL17, but the powder was just to finicky, and it was hard on the brass.

I'd say the current more popular standard 6.5 offerings pretty much give you what your seeking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell my Creedmoor gets 2800fps now, was getting 2900fps with RL17, but the powder was just to finicky, and it was hard on the brass.

I'd say the current more popular standard 6.5 offerings pretty much give you what your seeking. </div></div>

Tend to agree, gains seem marginal. Unless the max loads are getting the 142 near 2950+fps.

I think the more interesting cartridge is the 6SuperLR. Has more "going for it".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell my Creedmoor gets 2800fps now, was getting 2900fps with RL17, but the powder was just to finicky, and it was hard on the brass.

I'd say the current more popular standard 6.5 offerings pretty much give you what your seeking. </div></div>

That's what I was thinking (6.5 Creedmoor/.260) but I do enjoy tinkering with new rifles and cartridges.

I'm running a "very easy on the brass" load with 139 Scenars at 2,820 fps with H4350 and CCIBR2's. Hard to beat the existing SA 6.5's..........6.5CM, 260Rem or 6.5x47L.

The wheel is already round, hard to improve on that concept.

With H4350 2900+ He says... and still shooting well keep in mind this is the same guy that brought us the 6mm AR , 6mm AR 40T . He's a NRA High power guy and recently came out with a modified 243 too. Basically changed shoulder angles and elongated the necks of 243, & 260. Supposedly reduces "throat torching". Ive heard that about the 6mm Remington. Even though its got a slight bit more case capacity than the 243 it doesn't roach barrels as bad, Due to its longer neck. Yeah I have both 243 & 6mm REM. They both shoot great. The longer neck and shoulder angle does have some merit looks like 2 more grains case capacity over the 260. Now the 260 vs 6.5 creedmoor they look identical to me. If there's no advantage I'm sticking with the 260 since I already have dies for it. Any one getting 2900++ with 260, or 6.5 Creedmoor?

Oh please... Boltripper, any intellectual advice personal experience? Maybe u have a 26" 260 or Creedmoor that negates any claimed advantages over this guys quest to make his pockets deeper??? I'm paying somebody to make me a 6.5 I want the best chambering possible in a short action as the Eliseo RTS is designed for it. Thanks guys.

Maybe shoot a PM to George @ GAP and ask him any updates on the 6.5GAP/Crusader (or whatever the hell it is) cartridge???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe shoot a PM to George @ GAP and ask him any updates on the 6.5GAP/Crusader (or whatever the hell it is) cartridge???

</div></div>

6mm Crusader, with that hydro brass forming set up it looks sweet. D.Dodson has been checking it out, probably wait until he chews it over before I get serious about it.

You know me and reloading..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You know me and reloading.. </div></div>

You reload??

Thanks for the 6.5 Crusader heads up, I know they have a 6mm Crusader out a Modified 6mm Remington. (I've always thought my 6mm Rem was superior to my 243) I considered this for a possible chambering but I'm hoping for a bit better barrel life from the 6.5. I actually spoke to Karey at GAP Monday about the 260 Rem build I will look into the 6.5 Crusader before making a decision. Lucky for me they're about a 20 min drive way. One more thing if it weren't for people like George and Robert W. or any other wildcat contributer taking the initiative to make advances in our current chamberings we'd all still be shooting black powder rifles. So even if it's 150-200 fps velocity gain it's still a forward progression. Thanks again for the Crusader heads up that's what I'm looking for a little forward thinking so I won't have any regrets when I make my decision.

FWIW - My objective in making the 6.5 Super LR was three fold:

1. After releasing the 6mm Super LR, I have had many requests from shooters wanting a 6.5 mm version of it (a lot more than I thought there would be), so I wanted to be able to fill those requests; and

2. I wanted a 6.5 cartridge with around .260 Rem powder capacity but I wanted to get away from the .260 Rem. itself, as I believe it has a design anomaly in the neck and shoulder that can make it a finicky cartridge. I shot the .260 Rem. for a couple years in highpower, and had three different barrels chambered in it, and frankly I gave up on it as a consistent performing cartridge as I was never able to get the .5 MOA or better consistent performance I need. One of my fellow shooters whose opinions I respect also went through two barrels with the cartridge and his opinions were the same as mine. Does that mean people don't get it to shoot? No, but that does not mean there's not an issue with it. In highpower you almost never see anyone shooting it even though it's a factory cartridge, and those you see shooting it, typically drop it and stop shooting it, and that suggests and/or confirms to me there's an issue.

3. I wanted to have a 6.5 cartridge that would run well out of a short action and was real easy to make, that was inherently accurate and consistent, and that's what the 6.5 Super LR is. It's not so much a question of how much raw speed you can get from a particular cartridge (unless "spray and pray" is o.k. for your purposes), but how much consistently accurate speed you can get. When I see talk of just velocity on postings with nothing more, to me that means nothing as you might have a cartridge that can push a 142 gr. 6.5 mm bullet at 3050 fps, but the only "sweet spot" it has for consistent accuracy is at 2800 fps., so all the rest of the "horsepower" for that "hot rod" is excess baggage. When you couple a 30 degree shoulder angle with a long neck, you are picking up the proven competitive hallmark of some great consistently accurate performing cartridges (6.5 x 47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6 PPC, 6BR, the 6mm Super LR etc.). The 6.5 Super LR has a very good balance, it's very efficient and seems to be comfortable pushing the 139-142 gr. bullets with consistent accuracy up in the 2900 fps range with no issues. If that's just not enough "juice" for some then it's not where you should go, but anyway you look at it, that's a lot of accurate performance with high b.c. bullets that big out of a conventional bolt face short action magazine feed cartridge.

Robert Whitley

Hey Robert!

Its been a long time since I saw you on the forum. I like the cartridge, and in particualr the long neck and 30 degree shoulder.

I'm currently running something very similar to your 6 HOT based on the 6.5x47 Lapua. What brass are you basing your 6 Super LR on? I'm potentially looking for something short of the .243 but more then the 6x47L that I run now.

Thanks again for your work and efforts in the development area.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">142 smk and RL17 easy 2900. </div></div>

What barrel length is his running.

Thank You Robert for shedding a little light on the subject, Shoulder angle neck lengthening benefits. I know max velocity doesn't equate to maximum accuracy. When you stated 2900+ and still shooting well I figured it could be pushed further but the accuracy node was right around 2900 or a little more. Sounds like a great chambering for NRA Long Range which is what I'm building this rifle for. Other than the 6.5 Crusader, based off the 6mm Rem, I don't know of another short action chambering than can possibly match your chambering's potential in the 6.5 class. 6.5 Crusader, I haven't heard or found any data for this yet, wondering if it's possible out of a short action. I hate to bother people that are busy as I'm sure you are, thought I might get some comparable data or new Chambering idea's I wasn't aware of here on this site. Thanks for your innovation it's making my choice a little easier.

When Mr. Whitely mentioned thr 6.5 Creedmoor as a consistantly accurate cartridge he was right. I do not believe my 6.5-284 was even close to the Creed except for the 150-200 fps, which at this point is moot. Don't even reload, don't need to (Though I do stock up on components for certain inevitabilities!?)
For a factory load the Creed is the best there is...for my purposes.

Keep it simple. I'd rather have a 260A.I. No need to be that specialized unless you have money to throw up a wild hogs azz.

This looks exactly like what Joe Hendricks did a few years back to turn the 243 Win into the 6mm Competition Match (6CM): blow the shoulder out to 30 degrees and take some of the case taper out.

Not a bad idea to apply the same to the 260 Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30378</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep it simple. I'd rather have a 260A.I. No need to be that specialized unless you have money to throw up a wild hogs azz. </div></div>

How is a 260 AI simpler? You don't need to fireform the brass with the .260 Super LR like you do with the AI.

To me it seems like the investment in time and powder fireforming instead of just running your brass through a die is more like throwing money up a wild hog's ass.

Oh crap. Im I posting on an old thread? I did a search so it's entirely possible.

another 6.5mm? Jeez.

You want to re-invent the wheel, that's fine with me. Just don't be surprised when you go to sell that fine rifle and discover that folks would rather have a common cartridge instead. That no one wants your specialized brass or dies much less that custom chambered barrel.

Look at what is already on the market in both standard calibers and wildcats.

6.5-47 Lapua
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 International (6.5mm version of the 22-250)
.260 Rem
.260 Ackley Improved
6.5 6mm Remington
The Ackley Improved version of the above.
6.5 Crusader
6.5 Swede
6.5 Swede Ackley Improved
6.5 - 284 Winchester
6.5 Remington Magnum
6.5 Rem SAUM
6.5 WSM
.264 Win Mag

Like none of the above are going to be able to cover what this new "uber-cartridge" can do?

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Please!</span></span>

Ah. It's an uber-cartridge?

I guess I just wasn't looking at it that way. You never know where your 'node' will end up.

I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and liked the idea of the cheaper and more available Winny brass and no fire forming while keeping a short action and more modern case design.

What interested me was the practicality, not the uberness.

BTW, I have yet to buy factory ammo for my 6.5 creedmoor. I live in Cal and if you ask if a gunstore around me carries it they give you a blank stare. Also, too expensive. I just load my own.
I don't mind reloading.

I'm your Huckleberry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another 6.5mm? Jeez.

You want to re-invent the wheel, that's fine with me. Just don't be surprised when you go to sell that fine rifle and discover that folks would rather have a common cartridge instead. That no one wants your specialized brass or dies much less that custom chambered barrel.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Barrels are consumables. To a somewhat serious shooter, a 6.5mm is going to last 1.5-2.5 years, it's hardly a life commitment.

A LOT of folks here see the manufacturing of ammo to be part of the sport, so getting into a cartridge that *requires* loading your own is no big deal. Other than .223, .308 and 6.5Creed, you essentially have to reload anyway, or you can't afford the ammo. Thus, people aren't that against buying a used rifle chambered in a wildcat - particularly if the rifle comes "tooled up" with dies, brass and load data.</span>

6.5-47 Lapua <span style="color: #CC0000">Expensive brass, low case capacity</span>
6.5 Creedmoor <span style="color: #CC0000">Great choice, main competition for 6.5SLR</span>
6.5 International (6.5mm version of the 22-250)<span style="color: #CC0000">Case capacity, brass isn't as prolific</span>
.260 Rem <span style="color: #CC0000">case design, too much capacity for what it does</span>
.260 Ackley Improved <span style="color: #CC0000">Fireforming required, overbore</span>
6.5 6mm Remington <span style="color: #CC0000">brass availability</span>
The Ackley Improved version of the above. <span style="color: #CC0000">Fireforming</span>
6.5 Crusader <span style="color: #CC0000">Brass availability, fireforming</span>
6.5 Swede <span style="color: #CC0000">Excellent cartridge, kinda needs a long action</span>
6.5 Swede Ackley Improved<span style="color: #CC0000">Super excellent choice, but again, doesn't fit a short action cleanly, and needs fireforming</span>
6.5 - 284 Winchester <span style="color: #CC0000">Overbore, barrel life</span>
6.5 Remington Magnum <span style="color: #CC0000">Overbore!</span>
6.5 Rem SAUM <span style="color: #CC0000">Overbore! Brass availability</span>
6.5 WSM <span style="color: #CC0000">OVERBORE!</span>
.264 Win Mag <span style="color: #CC0000">OVERBORE!!!!!</span>

Like none of the above are going to be able to cover what this new "uber-cartridge" can do?

<span style="color: #CC0000">Not really. It fits a short action really nice. It has a nice modern case design with all the attributes associated with efficiency, good feeding and maximized barrel life. It makes use of extremely prolific brass, and doesn't require fireforming. As alluded to above, it's closest competitor is the 6.5Creed, which is a fine cartridge.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Please!</span></span> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running a "very easy on the brass" load with 139 Scenars at 2,820 fps with H4350 and CCIBR2's. Hard to beat the existing SA 6.5's..........6.5CM, 260Rem or 6.5x47L.

The wheel is already round, hard to improve on that concept. </div></div>

I agree here. I shoot the 139 scenars at 2850 with H4350 with BR4's in a Gradous 6.5 x 47 Lapua.

The magic of this cartridge is it doesn't take much powder and 100 pieces of brass will last the life of the barrel ( small primer). I love this caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

6.5-47 Lapua
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 International (6.5mm version of the 22-250)
.260 Rem
.260 Ackley Improved
6.5 6mm Remington
The Ackley Improved version of the above.
6.5 Crusader
6.5 Swede
6.5 Swede Ackley Improved
6.5 - 284 Winchester
6.5 Remington Magnum
6.5 Rem SAUM
6.5 WSM
.264 Win Mag

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Please!</span></span> </div></div>

Theres alot more wildcats than that. Add:
6.5/7RemMag
6.5 WBY Wildcat
6.5/300RUM
6.5 BRM
6.5 Leopard
6.5 panther
6.5/06

If speed out of a SA is what your looking for why not go with a 6.5x7SAUM? That will rock the 140s out of a SA fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm your Huckleberry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another 6.5mm? Jeez.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Barrels are consumables. To a somewhat serious shooter, a 6.5mm is going to last 1.5-2.5 years, it's hardly a life commitment.

A LOT of folks here see the manufacturing of ammo to be part of the sport, so getting into a cartridge that *requires* loading your own is no big deal. Other than .223, .308 and 6.5Creed, you essentially have to reload anyway, or you can't afford the ammo. Thus, people aren't that against buying a used rifle chambered in a wildcat - particularly if the rifle comes "tooled up" with dies, brass and load data.</span>

6.5-47 Lapua <span style="color: #CC0000">Expensive brass, low case capacity</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Some of the very best brass made. Also that shorter brass makes seating bullets to their maximum length possible in standard AICS mags.</span></span></span>
6.5 Creedmoor <span style="color: #CC0000">Great choice, main competition for 6.5SLR</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Single source of brass. You are completely at their mercy for both price and availability.</span></span></span>
6.5 International (6.5mm version of the 22-250)<span style="color: #CC0000">Case capacity, brass isn't as prolific</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Brass isn't all that prolific"?. Run 22-250 through a 6.5mm neck expander, load and shoot. ballpark case capacity of 6.5-47 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmoor.</span></span></span>
.260 Rem <span style="color: #CC0000">case design, too much capacity for what it does</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"case design" is so bad that Terry Cross uses .260 Remington to stomp the crap out of his competitors.</span></span></span>
.260 Ackley Improved <span style="color: #CC0000">Fireforming required, overbore</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Who cares about being overbore if as you said, "Barrels are consumables".</span></span></span>
6.5 6mm Remington <span style="color: #CC0000">brass availability</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Brass availability"?. Run 6mm Remington through a 6.5mm neck expander, load and shoot.</span></span></span>
The Ackley Improved version of the above. <span style="color: #CC0000">Fireforming</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"barrels are consumables"</span></span></span>
6.5 Crusader <span style="color: #CC0000">Brass availability, fireforming</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Modified 6mm Remington brass. Fireforming="barrels are consumables"</span></span></span>
6.5 Swede <span style="color: #CC0000">Excellent cartridge, kinda needs a long action</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Really? 6.5x55 Swede brass is 2mm shorter than 6mm Remington brass. And you don't see anyone complaining about 6mm Remingtons in a short action.</span></span></span>
6.5 Swede Ackley Improved<span style="color: #CC0000">Super excellent choice, but again, doesn't fit a short action cleanly, and needs fireforming</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Actually DOES fit short actions! Plus "barrels are consumables"</span></span></span>
6.5 - 284 Winchester <span style="color: #CC0000">Overbore, barrel life</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Overbore = "barrels are consumables"</span></span></span>
6.5 Remington Magnum <span style="color: #CC0000">Overbore!</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Overbore = "barrels are consumables"</span></span></span>
6.5 Rem SAUM <span style="color: #CC0000">Overbore! Brass availability</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Overbore = "barrels are consumables"</span></span></span>
6.5 WSM <span style="color: #CC0000">OVERBORE!</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Overbore = "barrels are consumables"</span></span></span>
.264 Win Mag <span style="color: #CC0000">OVERBORE!!!!!</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Overbore = "barrels are consumables"</span></span></span>

<span style="color: #CC0000">Not really. It fits a short action really nice. It has a nice modern case design with all the attributes associated with efficiency, good feeding and maximized barrel life. It makes use of extremely prolific brass, and doesn't require fireforming. As alluded to above, it's closest competitor is the 6.5Creed, which is a fine cartridge.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Please!</span></span> </div></div> </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">touché!</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your point? Do you shoot a 6.5? Or you just policing the rest of us? </div></div>

I do shoot a 6.5. A 260 AI, 6.5x55, 6.5CM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
6.5 Creedmoor <span style="color: #CC0000">Great choice, main competition for 6.5SLR</span> <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Single source of brass. You are completely at their mercy for both price and availability.</span></span></span>

</div></div>

Not really you can make your own out of .243 or .308 both of which Lapua sells and every other company out there too.

I'm running a 6.5 cr with 140amax @ 2860 comfortably. I dont see this other 6.5 cartridge as any game chamber.

As the owner of a 6.5 SLR, the reamer, and dies...and load for my wife's as well, the advantages are:

Winchester .243 Brass - available and cheap..important when you need 500+ of them and you don't worry about picking them all up at a match.
No real fire forming, size, load, shoot.
NO DAMN TRIMMING!! The big benefit...
I have Winchester brass with more than 10 loadings with 140's at 2825...pockets are a bit weak, but they still hold primers.

Other than that, it is the same as any other short 6.5.
Easy to get 2825 with 140's with your choice of 4350, 4831, H1000
Very accurate and very consistent....
We have run them to well over 2900...but didn't see any reason to shoot them there when they shoot so damn well at 2825 and it is much easier on brass and probably barrels.

When these barrels are toast, we will buy 2 more and do it again.

My thoughts...yours may vary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmpowder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Not really you can make your own out of .243 or .308 both of which Lapua sells and every other company out there too. </div></div>

Our other barrels are 6mm Creedmoors...we make all the brass from Winchester 22-250's. Same theory as my above post!

Making 6.5 creeedmoore brass from 243, 308, or 22-250 is an option I haven't explored. Sounds like I would have to fire form?

May be an option when hornady doesn't have any brass available which is usually when I need some.

It's a great cartridge. The only beef I have with it is the brass availability and price.

I shoot the 6.5x47 and I have my original 200 rounds I bought with it. They are on there 14th load and I haven't had to trim. I am not shootin hot loads though. I'm pushing 130 vld @2850 with 40.4 of 4350. I guess my point is I spent $200 dollars on brass that I'm gonna get over 3000 rounds out of. That sounds cheap to me.
I also have a 6.5-06AI that brass just don't seam to want to grow either. If you want that round build it. If you really just want what's best. They are 6 in one and half a dozen in the other.

I built my 6.5 ackley because no one had one. Know I wish I would have built a 7Rem mag. Just build what you want to.

I can name more, some may or may not have heard of.

6.5x52 American (uses a short Action and duplicates the 6.5x55 swede
performance)
6.5 Grendel
6.5mm JDJ
6.5mm Leopard
6.5mm Whisper
6.5 STW
6.5 Gibbs

And the List keeps going.

So it's kind of weird to me that there are that many 6.5 cartridges but some would draw the line where the 6.5 Super LR would be one to many?

Like others here I say go with the attributes that you feel comfortable and confident with. After all, who's approval are you after?

blah blah blah...OK.

I agree. Thats why I am sticking with the tried and true .260 Rem.

There will always be something a better, even if minuscule. The question is what is that gain worth for your situation?

My barrel smith has tons of experience with long range shooting and barrels. He said that people had problems shooting 142gr smk at 3k because it was tearing the jacket off in mid air?

6.5 nemesis is another one from here in the uk..
Necked up 22-250 fireformed with improvd 40 degree sholders
Im pushing 123gr amax at 2850fps with a mild load

.223 next to fully formed 6.5 nemesis with 120gr amax

01F2A506-B19F-4DC9-A94D-3E726BCD7447-3187-000006B97A368ACD_zpse5d5361b.jpg

It's like whiskey, it needs a few years to start getting good ;)

Simulating them in QL, 6.5x47 vs 6.5 SLR, and using H4350 I get 2800fps for both at 55kpsi (26" and 139 scenars). The 6.5x47 can take more pressure (63k vs 60k of the 243Win) and has a small primer meaning it will not blow primers as quickly. In theory it should last longer at the same pressures, burns 2gr less powder and has standard dies available. Barrel life difference will be marginal imo, and would fall under the "consumable" header.

I have shot a 6.5x47, 6.5x47AI, 6.5x55 and 6.5-284. I'm going with the 6.5x47 if it has to be a SA repeater.

Last edited:
Big fan of the 6.5 sweede the 260 rem and the creedmore, and absolutely love the grendel. All the 6.5s excite me though. I really want to play with the 6.5 x284 but barrel life is less than stellar from what I'm told.