• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing latest fly rod build

cmh2007

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
Katy TX
here is my other passion aside from long range shooting. I build fly rods. Mostly for me, but occasionally i take on a build for others.

IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

Re: latest fly rod build

Very nice. You did a great job.

That blue and silver is great. That would go well with some of my Allen Reels

I appreciate your attention to detail...nicely done.

Wish I had the coin from something that quality.
smile.gif

actually my work is not as expensive as you would believe, its becuase i can only build for part of the month while i am home form work. send me a PM and let me know what you want, maybe we can work something out

Fantastic work!

I always wanted to try my hand at this but the last few years fly fishing has taken a back seat to shooting/reloading. I build/customize/make my own pistols, rifles, bullets, flies, beer and gear, so taking up rod building seems like a pretty natural progression.
grin.gif

What kind of man hours do you put in start to finish for a normal build?

Oh, i roll my own ammo too, and do ar-15's and finish stocks too.

My blue sage i spent in the area of 50-60 man hours. but i did a very intricate wrap with the blend from sliver to blue. I started the silver wrap and tucked the blue thread into it and did a two thread combined wrap for 5 full wraps (every tail is aligned down the rod to be even) then tucked the silver, and continued with the blue. I did that with the butt wrap next to the handle, for the butt wrap on the diamond wrap, and the first 3 guides and the first two ferrules. that is what took longest...when it didn't look exactly right, it came off and was redone till it was perfect.

that latest rod was about a 10 hour build. it was just one of those where it went together perfect without a single issue what so ever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, i roll my own ammo too, and do ar-15's and finish stocks too.

My blue sage i spent in the area of 50-60 man hours. but i did a very intricate wrap with the blend from sliver to blue. I started the silver wrap and tucked the blue thread into it and did a two thread combined wrap for 5 full wraps (every tail is aligned down the rod to be even) then tucked the silver, and continued with the blue. I did that with the butt wrap next to the handle, for the butt wrap on the diamond wrap, and the first 3 guides and the first two ferrules. that is what took longest...when it didn't look exactly right, it came off and was redone till it was perfect.

that latest rod was about a 10 hour build. it was just one of those where it went together perfect without a single issue what so ever. </div></div>

You've inspired me. I've been dying for a shorty 3 wt for my local trout parks. Now to sink a couple weeks worth of free time into research...
grin.gif

hell, pm me, I have that 4 weight for sale, and i can just as easilly build one for you

That's some good schitt right there. Well done!

I'm a fan of ole Lefty. Very happy when he hit the general market with blanks and rods!

gonna build another soon. i will post pics and the details soon

Nice work.

I just came back from Montana. First time fly fishing. I think I have a new hobby to supplement my backpacking. Had a great time. My wife caught a couple of nice 20 inch Browns. Both caught everal Rainbows too. Good fun.

The black with maroon is a 9 foot 4 weight. The blue one is my Sage Xi3, and its a redfish slaying machine. it is a 9foot 9 weight, with the spline on the inside of the rod, its not quite as accurate casting, but it will pull 60 feet of line off the water, and lay it back down again and even shooting a little bit from there, also having the spline down the inside provides more umph for fish fighting, much like a bait caster is set up. I do build conventional stuff, in fact that is where i started.

I guess i should put some of my wife's pink rod up too
This was a budget build, i think i have a total of 40 bux tied up in the build, bought the blank off ebay, and used spare parts around the house, and oddly enough it casts like a cannon with Tiney's Casting for Recovery line (pink and purple). it is a 9 foot 8 weight
of course the only picture i have of hers is blurry as anything
IMG_3169.jpg

I toyed a little bit on this one with a new technique called marbling. when using acrylic paints, it gives a transparent look, and when using things like Testors enamle it does more of a solid look
IMG_3166.jpg

In the upcoming two weeks i should be starting another project, and finishing up rewraping a couple.

Very Nice work, artistic and function in the same package. But I am not happy with your last photos. Why did you have to post a photo of the pink rod??? If my wife get a look at your post it will cause me grief and slow down my next rifle build. She will start dropping hints that Christmas is not that far off and remind me her 7 weight blew up landing a silver in August.
After I get over being pissed off at you for depleting my rifle build fund we will have to talk. Pink 8 weight 4 piece rod will be the subject

Jerry Jacques
Alaska Master Guide #110

I will have to find one of those blanks again, but we can work something out...PM me for more info

ps, i think i can find her a pink/fuchia reel
laugh.gif

this is the daimonds under chevrons on my wife's spinning rod.
meganrod.jpg

just got it

you know, some of this thread probablly should be placed in the classifieds...OOPS
wink.gif

Stay tuned...there will be a new creation coming in the next few weeks.

I build my own fly rods too!! Very relaxing and frustrating at the same time. My favorite blanks are Winstons.

Your builds are beautiful seaggie.

Nice looking fly rods. I tie all of my own flies but i have never built my own rod! haha

i'm going to play with another rod using the same technique.

Here it is all finished up. I built this one for Alaskaguide's wife. Hopefully it will serve really good next season. Took it out and casted some with it today and it really likes a short headed line, so should do pretty good with a floating line with a sink tip. In truth it feels almost identical to the TFO Clauser series rod (I have one, I casted both side by side with the same line.)

Enough talk, here she is.

101_0556.jpg

101_0555.jpg

101_0552.jpg

This is the purple wrap with the electric blue trim wrap and an alignment dot (the idea was shamelessly stolen from TFO)
101_0551.jpg

101_0550.jpg

101_0549.jpg

I wish you bastards wouldn't post stuff like this! I don't even fly fish, but I'm going to have to build a rod now just to say I can....

we can do that. Personally i just like wrapping them. its kind of my own form of art work.

I am looking forward to getting the rod and giving it to my wife.
She is not a shooter but does not complain when I get a new rifle built. It will be nice to give her somthing custom made and also nice that the money I spent is going to a fellow shooter.

Thanks so much Jerry. All I want to see is some pictures of her fishing with it. Like I said on the phone, it likes a heavy weight forward line like a redfish, so I can see how a sinking line would work great.

be sure to have a strap wrench or a pair of channel locks handy, i put that cap on tight

take it out to the mancave

should be starting up another one come the end of november

Nice job! Having done wrapped a couple of my own I understand how hard that is. They look great and I am sure they will fish good too. The marbling looks pretty damn cool as well.

Oh no...the first rod I put together was a three piece 4 weight sage over 20 years ago. I have had more fun fishing small streams in the Sierra's with it than any other. My work is no where near as fine as what you got going. My work was pure utilitarian.

I kind of have an obsession with having the nicest rod on the flats...they are plenty utilitarian though...that Sage Xi3 9wt has wrangled in a couple reds over 33 inches before without an issue

That is a beautiful stick..you do some great work. I have never caught any reds, but I am sure it would be a blast.

redfish are about the most fun fish to catch, for their size they just have sheer power. they don't stack up compared to a tarpon, but they are edible which makes them better

Fly fishing in Montana is amazing. And you MUST backpack to get there. It hurts to get up to thoes lakes but its so worth is when you start nailing thoes babys on water that never gets fished! Welcome!

well, last week i had a duh-d-duh moment and broke my pretty blue rod...all i can say is thank God for Sage's wonderful lifetime warranty. for 50 bux shipping and handling they are fitting two new sections to it and sending the blank sections back to me to rewrap...if anybody wants me to put some video of how i do some of this i can.