• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing latest fly rod build

Re: latest fly rod build

well, just ordered 5 more blanks for more projects. 3 of which are spoken for. if anybody wants a cheaper priced custom rod, let me know.

forgot to say, these are conventional blanks. I can make these either casting or spinning rods

I am always up for building more rods. Little did I know a few years ago when I picked it back up it would be an obsession.

well, here is one of the three that i have to do this week, this is for my mother...who of all people has decided to take up fishing, who would have thunk. I built this off a CRB blank from Mudhole custom tackle out of Florida, set up as a no frills spinning rod 7foot medium action. should be a pretty good all round fishing rod.

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

thanks, stu. got some more pics to put up tonight.

like i said before, I do this as an art form...the only thing is that my wife has mandated that i must not build any more for me (apparently 5 fly rods, 12 casting rods, and 4 spinning rods all of which she uses are just too many). so consequently I have taken to building for others.

If anybody wants a custom rod on the cheaper side, i have a medium heavy CRB blank at the house 6'10" that needs a home. now till christmas i am running 30% off my wrapping.

Great looking rods. I haven't taken my obsession to that level...yet. Only a matter of time.

Ok, been a while guys...having a son arrive takes out a lot of time. This is the latest that I am doing for a member on here Redman. Its a Temple Fork BVK 9ft 6wt and its getting all single foot guides. This is just the teaser pic.

IMG_5854_zpsf6534bfb.jpg

I just started a new project. Going to be a metallic blue blank with blue camouflage split grips. It will have micro guides with neon green and metallic purple wraps. The reel seat is a blue ALPS brand aluminum piece. I'll put some pictures up soon

cmh2007, I am just north of you in Hockley. Next time you want to go scare up some reds with a fly, let me know & we'll hook up.

finally getting around to putting up some pics of the new rod

the trim is going on now, carbon fiber under metallic purple with a neon green trim.

Very nice work on the rods...lactation supplements...gotta love it!!

That makes them cast better...haha...I have a 5 month-old and didn't clean the table before working

Last edited:
Well folks, here is the finished product or parts of it. I don't have a whole picture, but this one I did a spiral wrap where the guides start on top and end on the bottom, makes for a rod that fights fish like a spinning rod with the small guide size of a bait caster and the power of a bait caster

now for the latest project for a good friend of mine. Its starting out with an MHX 783 fast blank in white. soon as he decides it will either have graphite grey, black or metallic purple as the main wraps, and then electric blue trim wraps with chrome guides and nanolite inserts. The fancy on this rod will be marbling like on my latest rod, but I plan on waiting much longer into the curing process before applying color to the base coat so that it doesn't mix as much and is more swirl and stripe.

I need you to make me a spey rod that has a small stream trout rod in the butt section ;) Nice rod building though.

That is theoretically possible...expensive but possible. Or build a switch rod