• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Latest Long range builds

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
This was going to be a very long thread with lots of pictures and some imbedded video about our builds but we're limited to 10 pictures in a post so I'll hit on the highlights. I debated quite a while whether to post on here with our latest LR builds. No they aren't rifles although they use actions similiar to rifles and one is an undesignated Savage Target Action that is legally a pistol action now. Some call them short rifles which they probably are and they do shoot rifle calibers but they aren't nearly as easy to shoot to 1000 yards as most rifles. We started off over 3 years ago with basic mid-grip XP-100 pistols we used to shoot IHMSA silhouette with and one even still had the open sights on it. Really hard to see a 15" circle at 1000 yards with open sights after it's been hit a few times. We advanced up thru 2 1/2 x 8 pistol scopes, then Burris 3-12 pistol scopes with VGM mounts to give us the needed elevation for 1000 yards. Then we went with Vortex Viper 4-16 rifle scopes and that was a huge improvement. Caliber wise we've tried 7 IHMSA, 7-08 and lately we've been using 260 Remington and that works really well in 15" barrel lengths with 140 gr bullets.

This year I was lucky enough to be included in helping design a rear grip all aluminum stock for these LR pistols. My XP-100 was used as a pattern to build the first one and get it set up for a CNC mill. These things are a work of art and and are a drop in fit for the XP-100 and XP-100R. He also made me a longer version to fit my Savage Target action LR pistol in 6XC. We've been tweaking these things for the past few weeks and have been having great success with them.

I'll start at the beginning and post pictures and text from other posts I've made on Specialty Pistol forum to show how the build went. The first stock he made was for my XP-100 and here are some pictures of the stock development. This is the stock Randy made on a manual Bridgeport mill that started it all off. I told him I really liked it and would like to have something like that for my guns.

randy6xc1.jpg

First 3 group shot out of the gun. Same load our 260 rifles uses, in fact this was some of the rifle loads we tried first. Looked good enough for me so that is what we've been using. This was at 100 yards. Hornady 140BTHP match with 43.5gr of H4350.

remage260firstgroup.jpg

PVideo of the gun being shot this weekend by my son. Very promising but it does like to be shot differently than our older mid-grip models. A couple more range sessions to tweak how it likes to be shot and it'll be ready for one of Rayners 1000 yard matches.

[video=youtube;mqdWi1A-RXI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqdWi1A-RXI[/video]

This is engraved in the side of the new action.

closeupofetchingonlefts.jpg

For those that might be interested in putting the Rem-Age barrel on an XP-100 there is a thread on Savage Shooters.com showing the modification to the XP-100 action and the installation of the Rem-Age style barrel.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> Now on to the second part of the build. My Savage Target Action in 6XC. This was an undesignated action purchased from Jim Briggs at NSS and is a legal pistol action. I had Randy make my stock two inches longer than the one he's making for the Savage Striker to add a bit more weight and get the bi-pod out a bit further. Really turned out nice and is very well balanced. The gun is heavy and total weight including the SWFA SS 5-20x50 scope is around 18lbs. I know it's stretching the limits on what is a "pistol" but shooting out to and beyond 1000 yards isn't for your 357 mag revolver.

I'll skip any build pictures of this gun since it's the same as the XP100 but was a lot easier since everything fell into place. I purchased Randys 6XC barrel since it only had 300 rounds thru it and he was updating to a 6x47L and this was really what I wanted to try for this gun. It's a McGowen Full bull barrel 15" in length with a brake Randy created which works really great. I can see nearly all my hits/misses which really helps a lot. That is something the rifle guys have had which is a big advantage making corrections and not having to rely on the spotters.

Now on to the second part of the build. My Savage Target Action in 6XC. This was an undesignated action purchased from Jim Briggs at NSS and is a legal pistol action. I had Randy make my stock two inches longer than the one he's making for the Savage Striker to add a bit more weight and get the bi-pod out a bit further. Really turned out nice and is very well balanced. The gun is heavy and total weight including the SWFA SS 5-20x50 scope is around 18lbs. I know it's stretching the limits on what is a "pistol" but shooting out to and beyond 1000 yards isn't for your 357 mag revolver.

I'll skip any build pictures of this gun since it's the same as the XP100 but was a lot easier since everything fell into place. I purchased Randys 6XC barrel since it only had 300 rounds thru it and he was updating to a 6x47L and this was really what I wanted to try for this gun. It's a McGowen Full bull barrel 15" in length with a brake Randy created which works really great. I can see nearly all my hits/misses which really helps a lot. That is something the rifle guys have had which is a big advantage making corrections and not having to rely on the spotters.

Put together 3 loads to start with using a Hornady 105 AMAX. Here are the starting loads with their velocities.

39gr, 2715fps, 2720fps, 2714fps.
39.2gr, 2732fps, 2726fps, 2726fps.
39.4gr, 2743fps, 2749fps, 2737fps.

6xctarget1.jpg

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> We finally got to take these to Rayners and get some real world data out to 1000 yards at the targets we shoot in the match. First outing and on range testing of the new Savage Target Action LR pistol in 6XC has come and gone. Been thinking on how to put into words how the day went and not sound like a school girl bouncing around after learning she made the cheer leading squad and started dating the star Quarterback. I've already posted a few pictures of the groups I got while working up a few different loads that were shot at 100 yards but a couple groups were in the .175 to .2 range and most were under 3/8" so it seemed to like the Hornady 105 Amax bullet with most charges. I took both but will probably use the 39.8 loads for the first few matches.

Went out to Rayners which is the range we shoot our 1000 yard matches at. I had a pretty good 200 yard zero and started off at 234 yards with center hits, then moved to 300 with more center hits. At 375 and 400 we have smaller higher value targets usually the rifle guys gamble on but it centered both of them so doing really well so far. Went to 500 and got good hits on the next to smallest then moved on to the smallest and another good hit. We moved on up the hill to the 600 with another good hit on an 8" plate.

DaleT was on the bench beside me with his Striker wearing an XLR chassis in 260rem experimenting with some lighter 123 gr bullets and I'm pretty sure he was following right along with hits on the smaller stuff as well. Can you see a pattern forming here using these Savages? Maybe he'll elaborate more on his findings with the lighter bullets. It’s a tossup between lighter, faster and heavier, slower to see which works best in the wind. DaleT is meticulous in his research on this so I’m anxious to see what he comes up with for these pistols.

We all moved up onto the top of the hill for the longer range stuff and started off with a center hit on the smaller rectangle at 650 yards. At this point I let my Son try it and he also got a good hit on it. Randy had this "I wish I hadn't sold the barrel" look so he had to take one last shot with his barrel and also centered the small target. (Thanks again Randy) We then moved over to a really small rectangle at 720 yards that we all respectfully call a "black hole target". The rifle guys will shoot at it and it'll swallow up their bullet and not give a hit. It's that small and that tough. The little 6XC got a good first round hit on it too. It's worth 20 points but not worth the gamble in a match. I’ve only hit it a few times in practice just messing around with my rifle. My son then shot two at it and got two more hits in a row.

Then we moved over to the 630 and 700 yard plates but they were a huge 15" and got first round hits on both. The 630 yard target for some reason has DaleT spooked, he can drill the little stuff at every other station but for some reason this 15” plate has his name and ducks and dodges whenever he shoots at it with any of his guns. Today though DaleT must have had his hat pulled down or snuck up on it because he put the hurt on it with a bunch of hits. Victory laps for DaleT!

At this point I'm over my highest score with my 260 Savage rifle and well past the high pistol score. All these settings were from my JBM printout and were spot on. At 900 the first shot was low and a bit off on wind call with a miss. First miss so far and was off the JBM recommended setting. I came up the appropriate amount based on seeing the miss and got a hit. At 990 had another low miss and bad wind call, made the adjustment and was on again. DaleT and the others were having an elevation problem on these two sets of targets and we think the headwind was messing a bit with us. We usually don't have that problem so we'll have to pay attention to that at the matches.

The wind was not heavy but ever changing and that really messed with us all and I'll probably never have another day at Rayners like this in these conditions but at least for one day the skies opened up and the Sun shown down on us and it was Butterflies, Unicorns and Rainbows with laser guided bullets for everyone.
Not sure if we've finally stumbled onto the correct assortment of barrel, stock, bullets, load, scope or what but it all seems to be really working well as a unit. I was waiting to do a report with the new stock so I'd have pictures and video of the finished product. I'll add what I have later in this post.

Equipment list on the gun:
Savage Target Action
16" McGowen 1:8 twist barrel
Brake made by 7fingers
Aluminum stock made by 7fingers (no bedding)
Farrells steel 30moa mount
Seekins rings
SWFA SS 5-20x50 scope
Harris swivel notched leg bi-pod
Leather bag for rear

Now on to the second half of this incredible day. A buddy (Blackie Sleeva) who is one of the best long range pistol shooters in the Country had called and invited me over to his place on this same day. Said JD (from SSK Industries) was bringing over some stuff to shoot and we'd spend the day ringing some steel. Said I'd be late but would get there in late afternoon after leaving Rayners. We've been telling Blackie and JD about these LR pistols and both had been wanting to see them. JD has seen and shot a lot of long range pistols before but this was a first for Blackie with a setup like this.

Blackie has 500 yards behind his garage with some pretty small stuff him and JD use for testing some of the guns SSK builds. Initially I think Blackie was a bit apprehensive about these claims of the 1000 yard matches we've been attending and how well the guns shoot. After a shot to determine the wind across the hollow to the 500 yard targets I turned Blackie loose with the 6XC. He started on a big (12") plate to get the feel, missed the first shot and made a wind adjustment and absolutely centered it. I don't think you could have painted a more perfect hit on it. Then moved over to a 6” steel plate and another hit that was dead center perfect.

About that time another friend (Tom Sikora) and JD wandered around the building to watch. Tom is another old time Silhouette shooter and is familiar with long range pistol shooting but nothing like this. Blackie had told him earlier I was bringing a 1000 yard pistol over to shoot but he really had his doubts about a pistol being able to shoot that far. He sat down and proceeded to hit everything he shot at. I think he is still wearing the wall to wall grin he had on. JD had been watching and asking a few questions about it and we all know how he hates to shoot but it didn’t take much coaxing to get him behind it.

I had quite a few rounds left but of a lighter load I had started load development with. They needed a couple extra clicks of elevation but shot great groups. It took a couple shots for him to get the correct windage then proceeded to lay one in on top of another on a couple plates. He kept going to smaller targets till finally he was shooting at a small rock (approx. 4 inches to start with) and breaking it in pieces then shooting the pieces of pieces. At the end the one piece he could see was between a quarter and half dollar size and the cross hairs covered it up. I'd like to say he center hit it but if it'd have been a silver dollar he'd have not missed it, the misses were that close.

Blackie had also shot a couple of the small rocks and split them in half then shot the half of a half. I was spotting for him and didn’t take any pictures or video of him but maybe next time. Incredible shooter I’ve tried to learn from watching over the years and have helped so many of us improve our shooting skills. I like to think I've learned from both of them over the years shooting IHMSA together back in its younger days. When we were just about done Blackies wife Rosetta who is also an exceptional long time IHMSA metallic shooter walked around the corner to see what we were all up to.

I doubt if she’d weigh 90lbs with a bag of rocks over her shoulder. It didn't take much prompting for her to set down behind the 6XC, this lady has no fear. We gave her a few tips on how to hold it since she's never shot a pistol like this with a rifle scope. After getting settled in she got three good hits on the small plates at 500 yards just like she'd done it a million times before. She just looked around as if to question us on why it seemed like a big deal. You’ll see in her video clip when it went off she looked up and knew she got a hit the moment it went off. Now that is calling a shot, do it right and you just know it’s going where it was supposed to.

It was a great day and looking back I've been trying to sort it all out. I know the gun is going to be a good shooter and that was shown by how well these exceptionally skilled pistol shooters were able to sit down and instantly make the gun perform to its full potential. It's really nothing special and with just a few quality components that anyone can buy it'll shoot right up there with a lot of custom built rifles at extreme distances. I'm hoping I was able to put into words without it sound like bragging since everyone that shot it shot it well. Just an exceptional day that may never happen again but one that will be remembered when the next match rolls around and I somehow forgot how to shoot and can't hit a thing. I know it'll happen but that's part of competition, some days the medicine works and other days it don't.

DaleT and Randy are also putting together similar guns and they are both very qualified pistol shooters. When the XP-100 barrel shows up my son Chris will probably play with it and I expect it to perform the same as this XC so he'll keep me on my toes for sure. He's a fast learner and will soon bypass me which I'll enjoy seeing. As we were putting stuff away JD had us shoot some of his 300 whisper rounds out of a suppressed Contender using a brass lead free bullet that looked interesting. Blackie pulled out his 50 Alaskan with incendiary rounds.

A few years ago Dennis (SSK gunsmith) let me shoot one at a steel plate hanging by chains. They had just returned from out West demonstrating it to some company and it was sighted in for some far distance and Dennis said to hold about 3 feet low on this 100 yard target. At the shot a there was a huge flash and when the smoke cleared it had broken the chains and the target was gone. If there has been one time I regretted not having a video that was it. It broke the chains and the target was lying on the ground. It was like something out of a movie scene.

Back to Blackies 50 Alaskan shots, every time the gun went off a really cool red streak shot out and arched to the 200 yard line with a huge flash, boom and a cloud of smoke would drift away. What a cool way to end a great day. Was having such a great time I totally forgot I had my video camera for the flash-boom. I’ll make sure to get more of that next trip out.

This was with the new stock and the first day at Rayners for practice with it set up in it's final configuration.

The last trip out I tried my Savage 6XC prone. I have shot at Thunder Valley once before but feel I held up the match a bit due to having to set up a small platform on top of a tripod to shoot from. I do believe now I'll be able to use this gun and compete at their matches, this thing really shoots great prone and is quite comfortable. Some things are quite different from rifles when shooting prone but it was an easy switch to this gun but do have to pay a LOT more attention to grip tension and bag placement. Everything is amplified concerning these areas since there is no shoulder tension or cheek weld. Just have to hold my head up and try to get everything exactly the same every time. So far it's working unbelievably well out thru 1000 yards. I am planning on shooting it this way this weekend at Rayners so if I do badly I can blame it on ticks and neck strain.

dennis7fingersprone1.jpg

These LR pistols are sure fun and glad we stumbled onto Rayners and the 1000 yard matches to keep stretching the limits of these guns and getting to meet a new group of shooters that keep pushing the limits on what we can expect from our equipment. If anyone in the area would like to join us for just a fun day of ringing steel don’t be bashful about shooting these distances, it’s actually easier than it sounds and you probably have a gun you can start off with.

Hope you found our unconventional LR gun builds interesting. I have just always loved stretching handguns way out past what most consider extended distances and they still surprise us as to their accuracy. I've learned a lot from others on the Hide and adapt what I think works for making a rifle shoot accurately at extended distances and applied it to our LR pistols. Lots of good info here and the wealth of knowledge of the members is astounding. Thanks for help from those that knew they offered it and also to those that had no clue what they were posting was being used by the rest of us.

One last video before I go. This is of a friend DaleT and one of his LR pistols. We've talked with others and also posted on here in threads about NPA and how it affects shooting. We have always set our rifles and pistols up to be perfectly aligned by themselves then we ease into them with final forward pressure and when all is right we can close our eyes or look away and the shot will still be a hit. If it's not then something was not right with our gun setup or our body doing something different to the gun. We've done this with both rifles and our LR pistols, give it a try and see how you can do, you might surprise yourself.

Shoot straight and be safe

Topstrap

Last edited:
Wow I am truly amazed. First I never new that a pistol like this existed. Second the amazing accuracy and lack of recoil is astounding. Looks like alot of fun. Those pistols would make most rifle shooters nervous for sure. Third you guys are having way to much fun. I would love to know what a pistol set up like that cost's, gun only? Pm if ya want. I would also like to know if you think the 6.5 creed-more would be a good round for one? This thread has been a super fun ride. Thanks for sharing and the videos were great. Please continue to follow up and educate myself and others who are interested with new threads, or just ad to this one. It seems that the shorter bull barrels are capable of amazing accuracy. How much velocity does the .260 give up over say a 24" barrel rifle?

Here are pictures and brief comments about the XP-100 and the Rem-Age conversion. Pretty darn simple overall but did have to make a couple modifications due to the XP-100 having an extra bit of machining done on the barrel to allow one of the action screws to have clearance.

This is a copy from another forum and I did make a comment about McGowen barrels and my reason for canceling my order. I've been in contact with Dennis from McGowen and he's gone out of his way to explain a bit of the situation that was going on involving the set up of their new fast order site and I think my barrel order just got pushed back. I will probably get another McGowen barrel down the road due to him taking the time to talk to me about it and also the fact that the two McGowen barrels I have on two of my LR pistols shoot exceptionally well. I can't ask for anything more as far as accuracy, just keep the customer informed and most of the time we'll understand.

The switch barrel is not new to the Remington guns but it's being brought more out of the closet with more barrel manufactures offering off the shelf barrels to fit the Remington guns. I had a couple XP-100 single shot versions we have been competing with and wanted to try the Rem-Age setup on the one that needed a new barrel. I had contacted McGowen back in early December and was given a 10 - 12 week time frame for a new 16" 260 barrel with a couple spare barrel nuts. As the expected shipping date grew near I called and was told it wasn't started yet with no time frame when it would be. OK, no problem so I called the following Friday and was told it still hadn't been started and this was 12 weeks into it. Still no time frame and got the feeling quit bothering us and we'll get to it when we can. Before I get jumped all over about being impatient, well maybe I did a bit but I will say that the other barrels I've used from McGowen shoot exceptionally well. Nothing at all wrong with their quality.

Come to find out they just opened a new Website selling pre-fit barrels with a really low waiting period. I do believe they were stocking those up and pushing the small orders to back. Could be wrong and they are probably trying to keep everyone happy but all most of us like to know how close it's getting to being started. I did receive a couple of PM's from Dennis H at McGowen and I may order another down the road when I have no expected delivery date.

Here is the thread I also posted on Specialty Pistol and if a thread on the process of assembling this gun with the Rem-Age barrel is out of place please let me know and I'll remove it. Just posting since I do think it goes along with the great Savage design and the closet Remington owners might see how easy it was to install.

After giving up on McGowen and waiting on them to make my prefit barrel for the XP-100 I made a call and within two days of talking to Jim Briggs at NSS I now have one on my gun. The old Lilja that I've worn out was a real bugger to get off but using a big vise, DaleTs' action wrench, a couple of extra heavy c-clamps, a big open end wrench, talcum powder and a large rubber hammer it's finally came off.

The Rem-age setup uses a Savage style recoil lug and I got the precision one NSS offers and milled out a 3/16" slot in the bottom of my action for it to fit into. Half of the stub on the recoil lug fits into the notch in the action and the other half fits in a notch cut into the stock. The Rem-Age setup uses the same recoil lug as the Savage small shank.

lugnotch1.jpg

lugnotch2.jpg

luginnotch.jpg

newstockinternalwithlug.jpg

We found out that the single shot XP-100 has the front action screw located closer to the front of the action than the XP-100R. The hole for the front action screw on the XP-100 goes thru the action and will screw into the barrel but miss it on the XP-100R. We noticed the barrel was stepped down near the bolt face on the old barrel to allow the front action bolt to thread slightly thru the action and get full contact in the threads of the action but not butt up against the barrel. This may also be something that might be the same on the 600 rifle action.

After setting the headspace we marked the location on the barrel and milled a flat surface to allow room for the screw. I used a 3/8" end mill and went the same depth the old barrel had.

flatonbarrel.jpg

Test fit and to my surprise it worked.

Dale has been using thread tape and gets a nice fit on all his Savages so we went ahead and used it on this just out of habit. The barrel screwed on really nice and tight with no movement in the threads. My Son, Chris used our go no-go gauges and got a really nice tight fit and we marked the top side of the barrel to aide in brake alignment after it's cut and threaded.

threadtape.jpg

The blank was a 26" SS heavy varmint taper and the one I really wanted from McGowen was a straight bull but I can live with this as it'll be .920 at the muzzle when cut to 16". Ross made me one of his superb brakes 1 1/4" diameter, It's larger than any others I've gotten before but he sized up the slide slots and it looks perfect and should do a great job. Thanks Ross for the prompt shipping and swapping with me.

If Randy had the shoulder stock ready for these 7fingers stocks this would be ready to go as a rifle, can't wait to get it chewed off to something resembling a pistol length barrel.

prefitbarrelxp100longvi.jpg

prefitbarrelxp100lbarre.jpg

Took a picture of the barrel nut wrench on the nut while test fitting to find the location for the slot while setting the head space. I'm sure this is something all Savage gun owners are familiar with but included it for those that have never switched their barrel. Sure does look weird seeing a barrel wrench on a Remington action.

barrelnutwrench.jpg

I dropped the barrel off Saturday morning and a couple of hours later it was cut at 16 inches with a 11 degree crown and threaded for the Ross 1 1/4" brake. Looks more like a pistol now so the rifle guys at the matches can't rag on me about where's the shoulder stock on that rifle. Still a long ways from the old unlimited silhouette days pistols we used to shoot but stretching the distances to 1000 yards and beyond kinda gives an excuse for stretching the limits a bit more on what we call a pistol.

Seems the single shot XP-100 barrels are slightly different than the XP-100R. I'm no gunsmith and didn't know this but the milled flat surface served the same purpose as turning down that section of the barrel on a lathe. If you know where it headspaces then the flat will work but might be easier for a gunsmith to just turn the whole end down to make it easier and faster with the installation process. DaleT found something a while back about the thread tape on the threads and whether it helps or not they shoot good and maybe adds a bit of controversy. The thread fit is really nice and tight on this action without the tape and was probably not needed but we did it anyway.

Not sure if a Rem-Age style barrel made for an XP-100 will have the threads stepped down to clear the action screw since the XP-100R doesn't need it but something to check if you order one for an older single shot model. The threads will start but will only catch with a thread or maybe two at the most.

xpstepdown.jpg

Will continue with next post.

Topstrap

Continuation of previous thread about the XP-100 Rem-Age conversion.

You can see the XP-100 has a recess the action screw hole is set in, you lose at least one thread because of that. The XP-100R that DaleT has doesn't have this step down so he gains more threads to hold onto. Figured better be safe than sorry and cut the flat to accomplish the same thing as the step down done on a lathe.

actionscrewinhole.jpg

Here is a picture of the gauge set although on my Savage 6XC I used a case for the go gauge and the same case with 1 layer of scotch tape over it for the no-go and it works perfect. I used a new piece of scotch tape each time since you can crush the tape if you try and force it.

The gauge set.

gonogogauges.jpg

Installing the action wrench.

actionwrench.jpg

You slide the go gauge in and tighten the barrel up till it gets tight against the bolt with it closed then back off slightly. Try the no-go gauge and if it breaks over and closes then tighten up the barrel slightly and retry the go gauge and make sure it closes completely. Put the no-go gauge in and you want it to just slightly break over as it starts to close.

Short clip of using the go, no-go gauges when they are set correctly.

XP-100 Using the go, no-go gauges on Rem-Age barrel - YouTube

Keep working both back and forth till you get it just right. Tighten the barrel nut up to the recoil lug and make sure your lug is fitted into the small groove in the action to keep it from turning. Snug the barrel nut down and recheck the gauges. If the head space is still set properly then tighten the barrel nut down more being careful to not allow the action to turn as you tighten the nut.

If you align the action wrench and barrel nut wrench close to each other it's easier to tighten them by pulling against one and pushing slightly against the other. I was all prepared to get the video of DaleT smacking the wrench with his 2"x4" but it broke and he tapped it with a hammer but wasn't very exciting so didn't film it.

Screwed the Ross 1 1/4" break on the barrel, think I'll bevel the back edge slightly just to take away the sharp edge.

rossbrakeonnew260.jpg

Picture of the XP-100 sitting beside the Savage 6XC.

bigbrotherlittlesister.jpg

familypicture1.jpg

To some this is boring and old hat and some have no interest in these builds but to the shooters that have asked questions about these guns I have tried to show the steps we've gone thru and what components we've used. I'll try to get some good video and pictues on test day and hope to do this at Rayners while shooting the targets out to 1000 yards. We're going to try and use two video cameras to get both the shooter/gun shooting and the impacts on the targets and combine them on the video.

Not near as easy as the Savages but after a couple milling jobs the next one will go really smooth. Now will it perform? Hope to find out soon. If it performs anywhere near as well as the Savage Target Action has I'll be really happy and feel it was worth the try.

The link to the Savage 6XC build is here: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...to-test-it-out . I know it's not a rifle but it's been really surprising to see how well they shoot. I think these Savages are surprising everyone at a lot of various types of matches and opening up their eyes.

Great forum here, been learning a lot and nice to see so many new members visiting and sharing their guns with everyone.

Topstrap

A few more videos of the guns being shot. Very little recoil although the XP-100 in 260 rem does jump a bit more, not sure if due to the style of brake compared to the Savage 6XC or the slightly more weight it has. Probably a combination of lighter bullet, heavier barrel and stock and a better brake.

Here is the video of Blackies wife, Rosetta shooting the 6XC in the original stock. This lady has no fear and is an exceptional pistol shooter from the old IHMSA silhouette days.

First test firing of the XP-100 in 260 at Rayners and trying to learn how it likes to be shot.

Some pictures of the inside of the 7fingers stock. They are a piece of art. Randy also said the longer version that is on my Target action can also be made to allow the attachment of the MagPul PRS shoulder stock attachment if a person wants one for a rifle.

dalesinternalempty2.jpg

dalesinternalempty.jpg

100rpicture4.jpg

100rpicture3.jpg

newstockinternalnolugar.jpg

This is Randy (7fingers) with an XP-100R version that allows an internal magazine to be used.

daleswithactionabove.jpg
37fingergunstogether.jpg

dsc00922cz.jpg

For anyone interested in LR handguns such as these, these and other versions can be found over on Specialty Pistol Specialty Pistols Forums .

Topstrap

as i have said in the past, you guys are nuts!!! great write up topstrap. hope to catch you guys at TVP or rainers this summer. we are shooting the intimidator this saturday.

Should be 4 of these mixed in with the 60 or so of rifle shooters , Sat & Sun at Rayner's .