• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lathe Advice

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    Hey guys.

I am considering picking up a lathe for general gunsmithing projects as well at barrel work and am looking for some advice. I am trying to keep it under 1000 lbs to make it something that I can move by myself. 500 would be better. I currently have a few that I am looking at.

On the small end is a Sheldon 10x18 tool room lathe with 2 chucks and a quick change tool post as well as a few other things. The seller is asking 1500. The footprint on this machine is 2x4 roughly so it is nice and small for me to fit into the garage. Seems a little short for barrels but the spindle bore appears large. Need to ask seller for exact dimensions.
    Second is a Logan model 1977 in great shape with stand and a good bit of tooling, collets, and chucks. 1 3/8 spindle bore. Has digital read out. Seems perfect for gunsmithing and is in excellent shape but seller is asking 5K. Seems a little high.
    Lastly, and largest, is a South Bend 16x? tool room lathe is pretty good shape, needs a little cleaning up. has some tooling and a taper attachment. Downsides are it is a little heavy (2000) and requires 220 which I am not sure I can run because I am renting.

If any of you have a better recommendation please let me know.
    Thanks

The Sheldon seems on the tiny side.
    That does seem really really high on the Logan. Unless it comes with lots of tooling which can add up SO quick.
    I've had a Logan 200 for a while and it's common enough they're always parting them out on eBay if I need something. I couldn't find hardly any google hits for the 1977. And nothing on eBay past or present.
    Not sure how it's set up a far as back gears for threading but if it's like my Logan I can't do metric with the gear set that came with them.
    Was about 500$ for the odd tooth gears to do it.
    You can still buy new parts from his heir or descendant or something from England.
    I ended buying a pm 1340gt recently.
    If you're willing to spend what he wants for the logan you could get a new grizzly or precision Matthews.
    My pm is like 1250 pounds I think.
    Was able to set it all up by myself using a engine hoist.
    110v is going to really limit you though I would think.

Yeah, I know that 110 is really going to limit me. I also just found a nice South Bend Heavy 10 online so if the owner still has that I might go look at it. It appears to be well taken care of. He is asking 3K for the basic setup with some little tooling and an original cabinet/stand.

That is awesome. Thanks a bunch. Great weight too. I really did not want to "emplace" a 1000 lb lathe when I am renting.

^^^
    Better call to check on availability.
    Says backordered currently, last update states "late summer 2018"...