• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing lathe initial setup

themayor

Minuteman
Jan 27, 2005
central Pa
any good links out there for setting up a new lathe like leveling it and stuff. Just got a new g4003g and have some questions on setting it up has anyone made there how levelers? do you have to bolt the to the floor? Do you have to have a machinest level? any help would be appreciated

Re: lathe initial setup

I use a set of levelers that came with mine, and a level that is graduated to .0001/ft. When I moved the machine to it's current location I set it to level and checked and adjusted each day until I could detect no changes for a week. Then it gets checked once a month year round and adjusted as needed. Usually needs a minor correction when the temps change spring and fall.

G7159 Machine Mount - 3" 1600 lb. Capacity or G7160 Machine Mount - 4-3/4" 8,000 lb. Capacity

I got mine on the advice of Wm Roscoe. They work well. You will also need a machinists level and check it when the weather changes. You will probably not need to make more than minor adjustments.

Happy chip making.

has anyone just welded some bolts on some like 3in pads and made there own?