• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
Hello,
I like to do my own stuff when it comes to firearms and what not. I am toying with the idea of getting into a small lathe and or mill. I was wondering if i could get a little help from some people with knowledge about what size lathe would be good for doing small stuff such as truing an action or threading a barrel or chambering? this would just be used for hobby nothing else. Will a bigger bench top lathe work or need something bigger? just a question thanks for any help.

Re: Lathe ?

For a normal guy without the ability to fab a bunch of jugs and parts on bigger machines, 12x36 is pretty much the standard. The swing could be reduced, but not so much on the bed.....unless you find some odd little lathe with a big bore.

I wouldn't go below a 12x36. I have a G4003G and for the most part I have been happy with it... but it is pretty cheaply made. That being said, I would still recommend it to someone else starting out.

Countless rifles have been built and rebuilt on Southbend Heavy 10s, but most models have very small spindle bores and therefore require chambering through a steady rest. I guess this shows that spindle size isn't everything.

I would recommend a 12" swing minimum if you plan to thread bolt handles though.

When you are considering the purchase of a lathe you may want to discriminate between the length of the bed and distance between centers. The later describes the maximum length that may be held when the work is supported between the head stock drive plate and center and the tail stock center. A 3 foot bed length will not support a 36" shaft. Go by the distance between centers which is the maximum work length capacity.

If you plan to chamber through the headstock you need to make sure the headstock isn't too long as well.

I just got a gunsmithing book written in 1972 by famous gunsmith Ralph Walker. In that book he says the 6 inch Atlas is right for him and the 12 inch is too expensive.

I have a PM1236, and so gave away a 12 inch Atlas. This summer I have to cut threads and chamber on the 12 inch Atlas to show the guy I gave it to that it can be done on the wimpy little 12 inch Atlas.

The truth is that it does not take much of a lathe to cut threads and chamber on a barrel.
I have never done it, but it would take a lathe with some horsepower to cut a taper on a barrel blank in a timely manor.

Look at that link I posted, les brooks shows how to chamber on a micro lathe....of course he can build a fine stock with a pocket knife, nail file a a piece of string too.