• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Law enforcement urban sniper rifle

I have a question do Leo's often send there equipment of to be cleaned ? That sounds fairly odd to me but I'm a civilian so I haven't a clue what they do I figured they would clean it them selfs

I would not have advised them to buy an aac-sd. But that is the bill of goods they were sold. the dealer got them i believe for $500 a piece for the sheriff. The hogue stock is terribly flexible with bi pod it hits barrel. I recently bought one myself and am in the process of redoing it.

What wrong with the AAC-SD? They would be great rifles for a department on a budget and are fine shooters. Yes, ditch the Hogue Tupperware stock for sure (I never understood why Rem still insists on that stock). But they should be sub MOA guns out of the box even with the crappy rubber stocks.

I would keep the guns - restock with a chassis system like Manners, McMillian, AICS, etc and then rebarrel with either Rem factory AAC-SD barrels or go with a nice 18-20" custom threaded barrel like Bartlien or Rock, slap em together and I doubt the shooters will ever exceed the rifle's capabilities anytime in the near future.

Just make sure the receivers were not messed up along with the barrels by the previous smith.

I will suggest submitting ideas from the dm's and having them visit online forums like this one.
This was suppose to be a back and forth process between the dm's and the gunsmith as he fitted and tuned each rifle to the marksman.
My guess is they bought the aac-sd's as base rifles then planned on the marksman adding their own accessories along the way.
I can only speculate on that. He still needs to rehab old barrels or buy new ones. The old ones accuracy is now not what they want.

Why are people STILL suggesting AI rifles when it has been repeated that those rifles are outside of the budget?

I can go purchase any new AI rifle/ Surgeon Scalpel/ GAP and I would not have any noticeable real world accuracy out of any of them as compared to a STOCK 700 within the typical range used in LE engagements. Especially if I take the money I saved and spend it on range time.

A typical LE sharpshooter would only have to, at most, hit someone in the head within 200 yards. <- That isn't difficult, and doesn't require an expensive rifle to do.

It is easy to set right where you are and suggest to spend 15,000 on 5 rifles (without glass) because you don't have to pay for anything. In the real world, this is a bit more difficult.

Yes, AI rifles and other high end rifles are better than a typical 700/10/110, but most LE will never need that potential.

I agree I would go AI AE as Frank said and yeah 308 is probably a good choice, barrel 18" is more then enough, 20" is fine as well. Short is the way to go. I have to say the logic in the original post about being able to "run out to a store and buy 308 ammo on an extended engagement and deliver to a sniper" is about one of the most stupid things I have heard. Think about it....first off a department will have duty ammo they use, the rifle is sighted in for and if they are in such a "battle" that the sniper runs out of ammo it would be a first in history and they better be calling in air strikes at that point lol. People who make those comments and have that train of thought when making decisions on weapons shows they actually know nothing. Just my 2 cents.

First, deep clean the rifles.
Second, restock the current rifles with B&C M40 stocks.
Check accuracy with new stock with a shooter capable of shooting consistent groups.
Eliminate bad scopes.
You would be surprised at the scopes some of these departments run.
While you're at it, check the triggers. They should be set somewhere between 3 to 3.5 lbs.

Rebarrel if need be.

If the department has provided $600 AAC-SD's for police sniper (DM) rifles - it's extremely doubtful their budget will afford $3000+ AE's for replacements or support the idea of having custom rifles built for their shooters.

OP - Think hard about your personal liability here.

It's been suggested at least 2x before. Now 3x --- Have the Sheriff contact - "Remington LE" - The department can purchase discounted 700P's through Remington or a Remington LE distributor. In the long run this will be a cheaper option than trying to repair their old rifles.

Suggest they upgrade to new 700P LTR's in 308 to fulfill the Urban DM requirement and be done with it, that's what those rifles are made for. Maybe you could still help out by selling their old AAC's. I'm sure they'd sell here as there's always guys looking for Remington actions.

Last edited: