• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lc 7.62x51 brass

J-Rat

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2004
southern ca.
I have some once fired lc brass that I have fl resized with rcbs dies.
Trimmed to length and deburred the primer pocket.
Before I started reloading, I checked to see if the cases would chamber
in my ltr 308 or my m1a.
The bolt would'nt close either one.
The resizing die is adjusted to touch the shell holder.
Any suggestions.

Thanks J-Rat

Re: lc 7.62x51 brass

Measure the case just above the rim! it should be at .468 to .470. I bet your die is not getting you a FL size! I had a set of RCBS FL dies that would not get a FL Size when camming over. You may need to contact RCBS or buy Small base dies.

Terry

The case measured .468 / looks like small base dies are in order.

Thanks
J-Rat

Once fired LC through a belt fed will usually require a lot of work to resize for any normal chamber, if that is where your cases came from. I have a Forster 7.62 NM die I use after running the brass through a body die to fix MG fired brass, it's a lot of work. If you don't have a case gage it might help to borrow or buy one, I have a Wilson .308 gage that I use. It makes for easy checking on once fired cases to see how out of spec they are, and how much they need to be worked to get them back.

If your ammo will not chamber after being sized, the shoulder is too far forward.

set your sizing dies correctly. I don't know how many people on this forum post crap like this.

You should not be loading any neckdown case if you don't know how to set headspace correctly.

Damn, some of you boys are runnin about a 9 on the ol tension scale aren't ya? I've never seen the instructions that came with a set of dies start off saying "take your case guage and......" Its pretty easy to make set up mistakes in this hobby.

okie

Slam fire's are often a result in improperly sized and primed cases in the M1 and M14 rifles.
This can lead to a disaster about six inches from your face.
A case gauge is inexpensive insurance well worth the extra step.

lots of good points and a valid question for sure

he is right, all the sizing setup instructions are very plain jane

"place the ram in the up position, screw the die down until it's touches the top of the ram, then back off 1/8th to 1/4 turn
and you are ready to size!!"

is what mine says

and that is not enough to bump my shoulder; in a tight match chamber

when i use the headspace guage, i end up setting the die to touching the ram, or very close to it ;

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[snip]
he is right, all the sizing setup instructions are very plain jane

"place the ram in the up position, screw the die down until it's touches the top of the ram, then back off 1/8th to 1/4 turn
and you are ready to size!!"

is what mine says

and that is not enough to bump my shoulder; in a tight match chamber

when i use the headspace guage, i end up setting the die to touching the ram, or very close to it ;
</div></div>

Exact opposite of all the instructions I've seen.

But I'm old and didn't read the instructions on the first new resizing die I've bought in 25 years...

My advices is to STOP and don't buy anything until you *know* why the resized cases won't chamber. I bought a batch of 500 LC cases years ago and they worked just fine FL sized in a Lee die from the get-go.

Smoke a few of those cases and find out exactly where the brass is jamming. I got one rifle re-barreled and my loaded ammo would jam pretty good in the chamber--cycled semiauto okay, but don't even think about unchambering any way other than pulling the trigger. Headspace was okay per the Wilson gage. Bases were sized just fine per the Wilson gage. The problem was the case body just behind the shoulder was being resized too fat from my old chamber and the worn-out FL sizing die.

That was a fine excuse to get into an RCBS X-Die, which works just fine.

No small base nonsense or extra expense needed.

Agreed. I'm certainly not saying a case guage isnt a needed tool and I use one often myself however, slam fires are usually caused by a combination of problems from what I've learned, I've personally never had one. Whenever you try to force something, your gonna have problems, like sf's. The OP was taking precausions and checking unloaded cases beforehand for chamber fit, smart man. I'm sure there's been millions of rounds loaded without the use of a cg and fired safely. His not usein one is hardly a reason for someone to start a bug eyed rant.

edit: I agree a case guage would definately be a handy item in this situation.
wink.gif

okie

A case gauge is not optional at all. It is the bare minimum tool necessary to set your sizing die. Simply screwing the die down until it touches the shell plate or shell holder is NOT enough.

I don't know how many times this question gets asked on this forum. It seems to me that people don't have a reloading manual if they screw up something so fundamental.

Wether you agree or not, there has been literally millions of rounds reloaded in this country in the past and fired safely without insidence and WITHOUT the use of a case guage. It can be done and is still done rutinely all over the planet. Like I said earlier, I use one and recommend it especially for precision work but for general reloading it is without a doubt optional.

BTW, nice edit on your first post, you sound like a lot more helpful guy now.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

okie </div></div>

Thanks. Do yourself a favor and search how many times I've mentioned that on this forum. Any amount of searching would easily find it--I have to have said it a dozen times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

okie </div></div>

Thanks. Do yourself a favor and search how many times I've mentioned that on this forum. Any amount of searching would easily find it--I have to have said it a dozen times. </div></div>

Now how would that be doing myself a favor? Is everything that is said at least a dozen times automatically fact? What the hell does it matter how many times you've said it? Say it 100 times if you want, its still nothing more than your opinion. FACT is, thousands of people with much reloading experience have never owned one because it wasn't needed for them to get the results they were after and they've got them without incedence. Nothing personal, I just didn't think the OP deserved to be repromanded by you for not having a case guage.

okie

I don't own a case gage, and do not intend to buy one.
I have had the problem on some cases fired in one gun not sizing to fit a tighter chamber.
I buy new brass for the tight chambers, and use the other in my old Mauser, chambered in 308.
I had a lot of MG fired cases that would not size right no matter what I did. (No small base die in my inventory). I traded them in on some reman ammo. Now it's their problem.....