• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LE agencies using something besides .308/.223

Re: LE agencies using something besides .308/.223

I have some experience as a civil litigator, I don't do personal injury, but I am familiar with the basics.

Lets assume that OP is involved in a justified shooting; he can still face civil liability for negligent use of force.

In his defense, OP would need to show that he acted in a manner consistent with current standards of police marksmen, the closer to top tier departments, the better. Deviations from that are more likely to make OP look like he was trying to create an opportunity to pull the trigger.

Using "non-standard" calibers or hand loads, pushing the department create a marksman position, no standardized training and operating with a likely nebulous ROE create liability for OP and could create an image that he doing all of this for himself, rather than operating within professional standards. Don't forget the official position of his department, which does not see the role of a marksman in its future.

As others have said, OP would be tossed under a bus by his department, and could be individually responsible for his own defense and potentially any judgment.

I would suggest that OP keep his head down and look into departments that fully support their marksmen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyrock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

As others have said, OP would be tossed under a bus by his department, and could be individually responsible for his own defense and potentially any judgment.

I would suggest that OP keep his head down and look into departments that fully support their marksmen.
</div></div>

How does everyone know that the OP's dept. is going to throw him under the bus in an OIS? Did I miss something?

Keep your head down? Yea a lawyer might do that, but when lives are on the line you call for us and not for a lawyer.

OP, Keyrock has hit on more important questions for you, personally, than caliber:

How well-written is the department policy regarding defensive marksmen? Does it dovetail with State standards? Who in the department, with rank and preferrably in charge of training, knows enough to articulate and justify the deployment and use of defensive marksmen? Will you be formally trained by the department, meaning attend a LE-specific basic course, then qualified and certified as a defensive marksman. Does your department know how to do this for you?

What are the rules for indemnification of police officers in Texas? Do you have union representation? If so, under what circumstances can they (the Board) vote to not defend you against internal discipline. Is your union required to provide you a defense to a civil suit? Is your department required to defend you in a civil suit, or is there only one defense lawyer hired and his client is the department?

... If you don't know the answers to the above questions, your personal ammo budget is not the biggest economic factor for you to consider.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when lives are on the line you call for us and not for a lawyer.</div></div>Before you show-up with a gun it might pay to chat with one, though. What the OP needs to know is that cops regularly get fired for showing-up incompetent when lives are on the line, and for having been deemed incomptetent after making a mistake.
wink.gif

BTW, in my experience when lives are on the line there's little time to make a call. But in some other situations it can be convenient to have somene nearby who differs from everyone else in that he can make an arrest for a misdemeanor if committed in his presence.
laugh.gif

OP, good luck with your search.

I'm sorry Graham continues to want to argue and feel that because he feels he's right HE HAS to make others feel that way.

Graham, I just posted this earlier, if YOU want to use the 6.5 round as a duty round, please feel free to do so, I along with some others would prefer not too. It's simple as that, I do not feel the 6.5 has any advantages over the .308 at distances it will be used in a Law Enforcement Scenario and all I stated earlier is could be SOMEWHAT of a liability If the decision to use that particular round/caliber CANNOT be justified should the operator take on collateral damage.

Graham, if you can justify it, have at it, I'm not telling anyone it's a completely wrong idea but it seems the OP is not the experienced operator, so for him to deviate from the norm while trying to start up a new sniper program while his department seems less then thrilled for him to do so is not the best idea IMHO.

1. Caliber matters little as long as you can demonstrate that it was a reasonable choice based on realistic criteria.

2. Your life will be easier if you adhere to common practice, although that may not save you in a civil trial. There are piles of cases where the "common practice" continued until it was deemed unreasonable.

3. If your department will not supply you with a rifle or ammo, are they going to provide you with an attorney if you are sued after a shoot? (this is generally a contract issue if you have a union).

Honestly, in your position I would stick with the .308. This will prevent you from having to defend at least one choice in court. I am sure "I" could make a case for it, but I have a ton of experience testifying in front of juries.

Stick with the 5R in .308. It will do what you need it to do and allow you to point to accepted standards in the field if you are ever challenged.

Also, as Graham mentioned, it would be a good idea to determine who in your town would represent you in a civil case and talk to them about things like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last average yardage engagement i believe is 52 yards, how more accurate can a 6.5 vs 308 at 53 yards can you be. I'm looking at it from a standpoint the shoot goes bad.
</div></div>

I read an article in ASA that said, after some extensive research, could find NO historical data to give an average on LE sniper engagement distance. If you have some sort of documented statistic to back this up, I would love to see it; it would be new info for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I read an article in ASA that said, after some extensive research, could find NO historical data to give an average on LE sniper engagement distance. If you have some sort of documented statistic to back this up, I would love to see it; it would be new info for me. </div></div>

The ASA publishes the "Sniper Utilization Report". It is not a definitive catalog of LE Sniper Engagements, but it can be used as a tool to help justify training and equipment.

NEVER get roped into the "average". SWAT callouts and sniper use occur because the situation exceeded the "average". Otherwise all police officers would wear entry armor and carry high power rifles.

I like something that shoots flatter; it reduces the possibility of vertical error, and makes precise ranging less critical.

For my (non LE) purposes, a 280 Rem and 120gr Nosler BT make a load that's flat shooting enough within 300yd to call laser-like, but you are never going to get such a loading past the brass and the lawyers.

It just ain't 'LE-Generic'. The .308 is, but it still has its drawbacks. Too much vertical variation with distance differences is the one that irks me. IMHO, the .280/120NBT load is very likely safer to use for all involved in the long run. The 120 Partition, maybe that too.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I read an article in ASA that said, after some extensive research, could find NO historical data to give an average on LE sniper engagement distance. If you have some sort of documented statistic to back this up, I would love to see it; it would be new info for me. </div></div>

The ASA publishes the "Sniper Utilization Report". It is not a definitive catalog of LE Sniper Engagements, but it can be used as a tool to help justify training and equipment.

NEVER get roped into the "average". SWAT callouts and sniper use occur because the situation exceeded the "average". Otherwise all police officers would wear entry armor and carry high power rifles. </div></div>

That's pretty much my point- and was the point of the article. It basically went along these lines:
-Search including DOJ, FBI and various state LE agencies came up with no statistical data to support the "widely known, NON-truth of the 100yd rule".
-Training for that magical 100yd rule is begging to be placed into a position where you are required to perform at a level for which you have not trained.
-Train for the longest possible fore-seeable shots in the areas in which your department covers.
-Stop spreading the "false truth" of the 100yd rule.

So my main purpose to bringing this up is in attempting to dispel the bad info that so commonly gets passed around as truth... or, if there now exists some solid data, that we may look at it objectively for what it really is; not a guideline for usage and training, but a simple representation of a "typical" encounter... but the purpose of an LE marksmen isn't limited to a "typical" encounter anyway.

Obviously all trainers have their own views on the subject, but I see nothing wrong with using 100 yards as basis for quals or other precision training.

Obviously that cannot be ALL you ever do, but when you analyze the ballistics and accuracy capability of the systems we use, there is no reason not to train at 100 yards. When I look back over the last couple of years, our "live" deployments were anywhere from 25-150 yards. Those ranges are pretty much in the "point blank" range for a 100 yard zero on a .308 when utilizing the CNS as a vital zone.

If a shooter can hit a 3/4" dot at 100 yards, then a head shot at 200 is not difficult.

The deficiencies in LE Sniper training have nothing to do with range. They have to do with position. We generally shoot really well when we are in a stable prone position. We like to do what we do well because it fluffs our egos. We don't like to do stuff that pushes the limits of our ability because it shows where we are weak. Get off the ground, break out the barricades and slings and make a flat out run before you take a position and fire. That is realistic training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously all trainers have their own views on the subject, but I see nothing wrong with using 100 yards as basis for quals or other precision training.

Obviously that cannot be ALL you ever do, but when you analyze the ballistics and accuracy capability of the systems we use, there is no reason not to train at 100 yards. When I look back over the last couple of years, our "live" deployments were anywhere from 25-150 yards. Those ranges are pretty much in the "point blank" range for a 100 yard zero on a .308 when utilizing the CNS as a vital zone.

If a shooter can hit a 3/4" dot at 100 yards, then a head shot at 200 is not difficult.

The deficiencies in LE Sniper training have nothing to do with range. They have to do with position. We generally shoot really well when we are in a stable prone position. We like to do what we do well because it fluffs our egos. We don't like to do stuff that pushes the limits of our ability because it shows where we are weak. Get off the ground, break out the barricades and slings and make a flat out run before you take a position and fire. That is realistic training. </div></div>

We're on the same page in terms of range- I'm not advocating all training being spent at 300-500 yards; but I know there are some that entirely skip it. If your Chicago PD or NYPD, then I'm sure that fits in 100% with what you can expect to see... but on the same page, a department serving both urban and rural should not neglect the upper realms of distance.

And of course, I'm not an LE marksmen; just an army sniper... so my take on it may be influenced by that a bit. And the alt positions I think is one that everyone involved in precision shooting professionally deals with. Getting out of your positional comfort zone in training takes a conscious effort. Operationally speaking, having a location where shooting from the prone will work isn't all that typical from what I've found.

Anyway, this has gone from just a comment attempting to stopping the perpetuation of the "LE engagements are 100yd and in" myth to totally derailing the thread. Good discussion but I'll let this get back on topic now!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry Graham continues to want to argue and feel that because he feels he's right HE HAS to make others feel that way. </div></div>There's no need to apogize on my behalf. Besides, your apology is less than credible when you won't stop sharing your opinion of my personality. I'm not trying to make anyone feel anything, I'm trying to advocate for the good information and discredit the uneducated opinion in this Thread. We get it: You modified your position and backed-off your earlier statements. There's no dishonor in that. But do you have any answers to the questions I posted to help the OP?

LoneWolf is on point. And DP425 is correct: The 'average' distance thing is a myth, and so is the 70-yard engagement statistic that I keep seeing in posts from people who are repeating what they heard.

Shooting is a very small part of LE 'sniping'. Of course, training to shoot at 100 is useful. And most LE engagements are closer than military engagements (although one could argue that this is not the case in MOUT). But training for a specific distance is folly. There is no reason why LE marksmen should not be taught the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to be competent to all reasonable ranges required by the AO.

In addition to our .223 Mini 14s, we use to have scoped R700s in 30-06 in the towers. That was for if we had to make a shot over 100yds. But that was years ago. Now they got a couple scoped Mini's floating around.

I am not an LE sniper nor a lawyer, nor do I have any desire to be either. But some observations for the thread:

The argument of energy transfer is very, very moot. Both will transfer enough to kill at any range of a likely engagement.

Also, the 6.5s will actually produce more energy at extended ranges. I believe its around 150 yards that the 6.5 will actually produce more energy than the .308 Win. Obviously, as mentioned above, some agencies use .223/5.56, .50 BMG, or even .338 Lapua, so there really doesn't seem to be a single standard. The 6.5 is much less powerful than the .50 BMG or .338 Lapua, while the .308 is more powerful than the 5.56.

From my experience as a hunter killing thin-skinned game, 6.5s and 7mms actually kill faster and cleaner than .308s using the same type of bullets--I've killed deer from 100 out with these calibers.

This past week, friends of mine and I were shooting jugs of water at 635 with our rifles. I was shooting a 6.5x47 Lapua with 130 VLDs at 2870 fps, while the others were shooting .308s with SMKs----one was using 168s, the other 175s. My bullet was the only one that ripped the jug and caused a visual reaction. The .308s we thought were missing the jug. It turned out that it put a pencil-hole in them and the water slowly leaked out. Shooting steel side-by-side, the 6.5 made a much louder "tink" and swing it much harder as well.

It would be logical to assume that if one could express that they are using a flatter-shooting, more wind resistant caliber, they are actually minimizing the possibility collateral damage because of a missed range or wind call.

To the Op,

The main issue I would worry about it is this...

Is your Agency allowing your to carry your personally owned rifle and ammo while on Duty..?

If so, do you have an established policy on Departmental qualification & training standards with that weapon..?

Just because your Agency allowed you to take a school, doesn't mean they are allowing you to play that role within the Dept.

Our Dept. would not purchase "patrol rifles" for our Officers either, but they would allow Officers to buy their own (AR15) & use them on duty. However, we have Dept. policies that address the carrying, equipment, training, qualifying & deployment of those rifles, and they supply the ammo to make sure we all use factory acceptable rounds for LEO work.

These are the most important question you need to answer before toting your rifle on duty.

Good luck with your quest & stay safe.

I've heard of an agency using a .22-250 for their sniper rifle, can't recall which one. In fact, I can't recall where I even heard that, might have been on here.

But to answer your question, I would pick .308 and shoot FGMM. I'm not in LE, nor am I a trained "sniper" so my opinion is essentially worthless on the matter.

Good luck!

My agency is about to switch from 308 to 260. With Federal making 260 FGMM, we can still use commercial ammo.

1. http://www.gunatics.com/forums/general-g...-mas-ayoob.html

2. http://john-ross.net/comments.php

3. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_4_51/ai_n11840291/

This is heavy on Ayoob and all articles are geared toward handguns because those are quick and easy to find and I'm doing this legal research off the clock. I represent police officers AFTER their department throws them under the bus, and I've sued some of them too but never over a bad shoot. And I was an elected prosecutor for a number of years, too. You can distinguish the handgun cases by saying that the sniper is in a controlled environment, lots of official witnesses, working on a string having to be cleared to shoot and so forth, and most of the time that's the case. But when things go to shit and you've run through Plans A, B, and C and everybody at the scene is improvising and you pull the trigger, you're well advised to have covered any potential negative issues that you can think of. Every expert witness I know in this field says never use hand loads for official use and that's exactly what you're going to hear them testify against you at trial. Even your own defense expert is going to have to admit that he has no idea how hot your load was because it can't be forensically duplicated.

So there you sit, your round having made a bad hop and gone through the hostage's eyeball and his/her next of kin are suing your jockstrap off, and the Chief wants to quiet down the howling anti-establishment mob yelling for his badge, and he's just leaked to the press that you weren't using official department Winchester White Box loads from Wally World and who knew?? He would never, ever have authorized any such cowboy behavior, and maybe your hand loads were exactly the same as FGGM but, guess what? You can't prove it because your load can't be reproduced to meet the test for admissible evidence. And you and your family's future will be decided by a half-dozen strangers who are 21 and have a drivers' license.

If you're a rational, thinking person that will frost your balls.

And P.S. - as long as the caliber is approved by your Agency and your ammo is factory, about the only thing left to question is marksmanship. That's a GOOD place to be when the lawsuit hits.

Though it has occasionally wandered, this discussion has turned out rather well. I appreciate all the feedback.

Ultimately, I was seeking instances where departments thought outside of the box, or in some cases, used something because that is what they had.

I do have the certification, I have been to the FBI basic sniper/observer school. I have tried getting some more advanced training but have no been successful with that "yet". I continue to explore other avenues, but since it would be on my dime, it makes it a bit harder.

No, we do not have ANY type of SOP's, orders or departmental regulations covering ANY type of special response by officers. I have mentioned numerous times that training should consider a "worst case scenario" type event (active shooter etc...). We have a lot of sand here, their heads are usually buried there (or elsewhere).
I know many of you that are working for medium to large metropolitan departments wonder at this attitude, but believe me, it is not uncommon is small town departments.

Would my department throw my under a bus? Hopefully not, I have seen numerous instances where they support an Officer in civil cases. Texas is a right to work state, while many departments have unions, ours does not. I can join CLEAT or TMPA on my own (and should have a long time ago) and they would also assist (providing the issue arises AFTER you are a member).

Much of this boils down to this:
I buy the rifle, I buy the ammo. The .308 works, but I believe it can be improved upon. Whether I shoot a guy with my sidearm, my AR, my shotty or my precision rifle, I would have to defend the shoot. Both criminally and civilly, not so much what I shot them with. I understand that it is MUCH easier to articulate the choice of .308. Hey, it's what the FBI says to use, who am I to argue? I use only factory ammo for carry, though I practice with a mix of factory and handloads.
I had submitted a letter a couple of years ago, recommending using the FBI qual course, that is what we use (I do not know what happened with the letter, I don't if they included it in their qualifications instructions.
I suppose I could write a new instruction, detailing the requirements of a scoped precision rifle and the type of ammo used. It would give me latitude to include something along the line of "standard, commercially available cartridge".

As far as state requirements for "precision rifle" TCLEOSE ONLY says that a precision rifle is ANY rifle with a magnified optic of 4X or greater. No minimum accuracy, no requirements for ammunition selection etc... A 150 year old 38-40 lever action with a 40 dollar NC Star 4X scope meets state minimum requirements.

LE can be very convention bound, hey it worked in the past, why change. Look how long it took them to move on from the .38 special and 158 round nose lead bullet, even though superior loadings had been available for decades.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaky Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. http://www.gunatics.com/forums/general-g...-mas-ayoob.html

2. http://john-ross.net/comments.php

3. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_4_51/ai_n11840291/</div></div>I agree that for self defense there is an argument to be made not to use handloads. I would also agree that if you use department approved non standard ammunition for duty (like commercial reloads/small commercial batches/etc) it should be available in recorded lots in quantities larger than the magazine capacity of the firearm.

I have a .308 handload which is produced in 500rd batches, with each 100 round lot recorded and chrono'd with lot numbers of the brass and powder, complete with temperature test data, actual recorded drop data, DOPE, penetration data and three years of qualification targets and cold bores shot with it. If my department approved it I would not hesitate to put a box of it to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Though it has occasionally wandered, this discussion has turned out rather well. I appreciate all the feedback.

Ultimately, I was seeking instances where departments thought outside of the box, or in some cases, used something because that is what they had.

I do have the certification, I have been to the FBI basic sniper/observer school. I have tried getting some more advanced training but have no been successful with that "yet". I continue to explore other avenues, but since it would be on my dime, it makes it a bit harder.

No, we do not have ANY type of SOP's, orders or departmental regulations covering ANY type of special response by officers. I have mentioned numerous times that training should consider a "worst case scenario" type event (active shooter etc...). We have a lot of sand here, their heads are usually buried there (or elsewhere).
I know many of you that are working for medium to large metropolitan departments wonder at this attitude, but believe me, it is not uncommon is small town departments.

Would my department throw my under a bus? Hopefully not, I have seen numerous instances where they support an Officer in civil cases. Texas is a right to work state, while many departments have unions, ours does not. I can join CLEAT or TMPA on my own (and should have a long time ago) and they would also assist (providing the issue arises AFTER you are a member).

Much of this boils down to this:
I buy the rifle, I buy the ammo. The .308 works, but I believe it can be improved upon. Whether I shoot a guy with my sidearm, my AR, my shotty or my precision rifle, I would have to defend the shoot. Both criminally and civilly, not so much what I shot them with. I understand that it is MUCH easier to articulate the choice of .308. Hey, it's what the FBI says to use, who am I to argue? I use only factory ammo for carry, though I practice with a mix of factory and handloads.
I had submitted a letter a couple of years ago, recommending using the FBI qual course, that is what we use (I do not know what happened with the letter, I don't if they included it in their qualifications instructions.
I suppose I could write a new instruction, detailing the requirements of a scoped precision rifle and the type of ammo used. It would give me latitude to include something along the line of "standard, commercially available cartridge".

As far as state requirements for "precision rifle" TCLEOSE ONLY says that a precision rifle is ANY rifle with a magnified optic of 4X or greater. No minimum accuracy, no requirements for ammunition selection etc... A 150 year old 38-40 lever action with a 40 dollar NC Star 4X scope meets state minimum requirements.

LE can be very convention bound, hey it worked in the past, why change. Look how long it took them to move on from the .38 special and 158 round nose lead bullet, even though superior loadings had been available for decades. </div></div>

IMO- given the lack of SOP's, regulations, standards or anything resembling an official stance on LE marksmen in your department, I personally would not bring out my rifle. If you are elected to your position, through a vote of the people, OR a vote of a city board... you are, in my book a politician. Doesn't matter if that job is Sheriff, Chief of Police or Head Janitor. If ANYONE you work for falls under the authority of a politician... DO NOT do ANYTHING that is not specifically covered in written document form by your agency/department. When shit goes bad and winning the next election or vote is on the line, 95% of people will default to whatever it takes to win the election/vote. The odd man out who will forsake all to defend what they know to be right is exceedingly rare... I would not want to bet my freedom or life on the possibility of someone holding those qualities.

YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be reluctant to carry a weapon or ammunition that was not provided by your department.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why? What is the problem with using personally owned rifles? </div></div>

I carried a personal weapon for back up and off duty, but it had to be inspected and approved by the department armorer. I suppose the same could be true with rifles; however my department and their attorneys didn’t feel the same way. My personal 40X with hand loads or Federal Match ammo outperformed my issued M86, loaded with Remington 150 PSP ammunition, but that wasn’t the point. The department was not willing to accept the liability. I wasn’t willing to accept all the liability, even if they wouldn’t have stopped me from doing it.

Using your own rifle, without the departments’ written support and documentation, seems foolish to me. If you are going to use your own equipment, then you are going to be accepting more liability if you are sued civilly. Using a department furnished rifle and ammo, I can’t be held accountable for their selection if for some reason one or the other fails.

I was never allowed to modify any of my issued weapons, then or now. I currently work for a much larger agency. They still provide both my weapons and ammunition. They employ armorers to inspect the weapons to make sure they are properly maintained and that they are not altered. The departments I have worked for have all wanted to limit their liability, by keeping all weapons as purchased from the arms manufacturer. So in the event that something fails, they can possibly pass some liability off on the maker. The Remington trigger issue comes to mind. If you do anything to your trigger, you have just accepted the liability for that piece of equipment and let the manufacturer off the hook.

You seem to be much more comfortable accepting liability than I am. If your departments’ attorney gives you the thumbs up and you are comfortable assuming responsibility for anything that could go wrong real or imagined, I say go for it. The opposition only has to convince a jury that you were part of the 51% at fault in a civil trial to win.

I would agree that much of LE goes with “It worked in the past, it will work now”. When I started LE in 1989 we were still using wheel guns, there was a lot of resistance to change to autos. I am not saying there aren’t better calibers out there, I am saying there use is not the norm and for civil liability reasons, I would try to stay in the “norm”. I am not saying the 308 is better, just that its more the norm in law enforcement sniping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are involved in a shooting, good or not, you AND your department will be sued civilly, count on it. </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would this be true in a State that has a statute which says that if you were committing a felony at the time you can't sue for your injuries? </div></div>
My state didn’t have that statute. Did you violate said felons civil rights by shooting him? I am sure some shyster could convince a federal jury that you did. If he was able to, your state statute wouldn’t apply in the Federal court system, so, my answer would be yes. I don’t even know how well a statute would hold up in a state supreme court. I think its fair to say if you shoot someone regardless of who owns the firearm you stand a good chance of being sued civilly in any state.

In a civil trial its not a guilty/ innocent verdict. They can split it up among several different parties and assign fault to each one. At the end, if you pull the trigger and are only found 10% liable on the side that is determined to be 51% responsible, then you will only be responsible to pay 10% of the plaintiffs’ $1,000,000 award, which is more than I would want. As a law enforcement officer you do enjoy a limited immunity from civil litigation, so long as you stay within standard procedures and don’t, do anything that would “shock the conscience”. That limited immunity is not absolute though, if you deviate from standard procedures you could lose it. It’s your call with how far out of the norm you are willing to go. If you do choose to deviate from the norm, then you should have a very good reason that you can articulate, because there will be another attorney sharpshooting your decision in hopes of creating a little doubt in the mind of a juror.

To the OP, I would ask your departments’ attorney or better yet, I would ask your own attorney. My departments’ attorney made it very clear to us who paid his check and stated that we should all think of retaining our own attorney, as his responsibility was to his employer. He would protect us so long as it was in his employers’ best interest. However, if he could limit his employers liability, by assigning all or part to us, he would do so, as it was his job. That to me is throwing me under the bus. If you don’t think your departments’ attorney will do the same, you clearly don’t understand his legal responsibilities. While I am giving you some “legal advice”, I am not an attorney and you really don’t want to take legal advice off the internet anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact that most LE agencies use it as their primary round is helpful in civil litigation.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How would this be helpful in litigation? What legal issue(s) does it address? </div></div>
It’s really been covered. Since you are in law enforcement, I assume you get legal briefs from your departments’ attorney. Anything you can do to limit your personal liability is a plus. The opposing attorney will try to make an issue of the fact that you are using some “experimental round” rather than the established norm. I know you are going to argue that there is no “norm”, however, if you were to take a poll of all the agencies in the United States and ask what caliber they use, the statistical norm will be .308/.223. I have already stated I don’t like the .223 as a sniping round because of its poor performance on barriers. That certainly doesn’t mean that those are the two best rounds it simply means they are what most departments are using.

Any attorney looking to make a dollar, will try to make an issue of the fact that you are not using one of those. They may say you were looking to kill the perpetrator rather than just stop him. Yes, a shot to the head is usually fatal, but in law enforcement you are simply shooting to stop the perp as quickly as possible. Some things are stupid, like why I was issued .38++ “controlled expansion” rounds to shoot oout of my issued.357 magnum. The guy on either side of the pistol really couldn’t tell the difference. It just sounded better in court to the department lawyers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did I read someone suggest handloading for your duty rifle??? Seriously...YOU DONT WANT THAT LIABILITY!!!</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What liability is it that you would be 'getting', and why would you not want it? </div></div>

You seriously can't be advocating using handloads in a sniper system for law enforcement duty rounds. I have no issue using the to augment practice. I don't think you can find a civil litigation attorney in the states that would tell you that is a good idea, unless he was hoping to one day go against you in court. You want to use vicarious liability to your favor. If something goes wrong, you want Federal, Winchester or whoever made your ammo to explain why. You attorney and department will do their best to let the maker share some of the civil liability pie and help in their defense in the law suit. What possible benefit could you really gain other than cost to make it worthwhile to use your own instead of Federal Gold Match or your departments favorite flavor? What ever it is if you use your own you assume all liability for how it will perform. You release the maker from their vicarious liability to some degree, just as you do when you alter a firearm from its manufactured state, to "Make it better". They will argue that you made it worse and you are the reason it failed. There isn't any reason I would ever give for someone to use their own hand rolled ammunition for LE duty ammunition. You can even make an argument that you should be practicing with what you carry not the cheaper reloads. Again there just isn't enough benefit to justify the risk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If, as the OP stated, he has his personally-owned rifle; then let's say it gets chambered in 6.5-something, his rifle and whatever ammo he uses are approved by the department, and he qualifies with them, and the rifle is maintained like any other department weapon, and he keeps records/logs of his training with them like with any other department weapon, then can anyone articulate what, exactly, is the supposed secret-squirrel legal 'problem' that everyone presumes to know about but no one appears to be able to explain? </div></div>

There are plenty of attorneys that will explain it to you. It’s not secret squirrel, it’s just not what you want to hear. Why would you be looking for a legal explanation on the internet anyway? You can certainly do the above, but you will assume a bigger slice of the civil liability pie, plain and simple. I suggest you have a chat with your department attorney. I am not saying he won’t bless the above, but he would be in a much better position to explain the implications of the above decision to you better than I would be. I am not an attorney; I have just had to sit through a bunch of legal briefs given on “Use of force” by them.

I have always been fortunate enough, to work for a department / agency that supply me with very nice equipment; I understand not everyone is that lucky. I like my personal rifles better than my current rifles I am issued. I wouldn't dream of using any of my rifles on the job, even if I could get them in country. When you are involved in an LE shoot, your weapon is confiscated and inspected. They check to make sure everything is working properly and nothing has been altered. Why would they do that? It could also be put into evidence. There just isn’t enough benefit for me to choose my rifles over those supplied by my employer. I understand that others are more willing to take on the civil liability involved with using their own weapon or hand loaded ammunition, but I am not. Doing so without your departments written consent and approval is just foolish.

I think there has been some drift and confusion here.

First and foremost you need to make sure that you are adhering to your department's WRITTEN policy. If there isn't a written policy, then you need to create one and send it up the chain for approval.

The only weapon that I carry at work that is department owned is my sidearm. Everything else is personally owned. Each has been approved by my chain of command per our SOP. In the event that any of them are used in an Officer Involved Shooting, then they will be collected as evidence and processed. If I am involved in an OIS with $4K worth of rifle and survive to worry about the aftermath, then the rifle has served it's purpose. I have others to use until it comes back (which is pretty fast here).

DO NOT stray from your department's policy. If something goes sideways you can find yourself fired and with a pile of legal defense bills. If your department will not authorize you in writing to use your personal rifle, then do not do it.

It would'nt hurt to try to get the rules and regs written in your agency to reflect what you were doing was well within the departments common SOPs.
I would also make sure my personal liability insurance umbrella policy was up to date.
I have been in public service for nearly 2 decades and I can tell you...you could get sold down the river by your city senior staff if an attorney finds a crack in your methods if they are not in line with department regulations. If there are no SOPs...you could be looked at as a loose cannon, or maverick.
Hell, Im in the business of saving lives and lawsuits are common!
My .02

Again, thanks to all for the replies.

Here in Texas, you can find quite the collection of firearms in cruisers. Deputies frequently carry lever action 30-30's, I know one that carries a 45-70 lever action. Of course, those are primarily in the event that cattle or other large animals need to be put down, but when they pursue someone into the brush, guess what goes with them.

There is no written regulation specifically in regards to a precision rifle, only a generic one that pertains to personally owned weapons. I'll have to remedy that.

As a note, I contacted Hornady. They are not aware of particular agencies using the 6.5CM (not surprising), they have not conducted any penetration tests. They did advise me that they have shipped 6.5CM to several of their LE distributors. They also have it listed on the Hornady LE website, indicating that they are advertising it as suitable for LE use.