• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Least expensive AR you’d trust your life to?

I can see it happening. Unlimited black budgets and someone wanted a cool toy.

I was assigned to JSOC the first year it was in existance. Missed being a plank holder (though not buy much) but was there for our first year anniversary ceremony. In the 2 years I was there we filled a warehouse with stuff we had bought that various people thought would work. Until we broke, smoked or destroyed it and moved onto the next choice.
Yeah. I’ve seen some of that at least.

Shit, the VERY first time I shot an SR-25 it ate a dick in a “send back to the factory now” way. Same thing with another giant “can do no evil” brand - that shit is still in the mail even.

If I haven’t run the thing for about 1000 rounds it’s not coming with me to a 2 way range.

Not according to Glock, oh wait....

yW7EqIT.jpg
Wow cool! Tell us the story please!

UPDATE: took him shooting yesterday with my 3 psa builds, 2 rifles and 1 pistol. He didn’t like the pistol so we focused on the rifles, he shot about 400 rounds through them while I loaded a bunch of mags for him. 1 malfunction, a double feed, 2 rounds popped out of the mag so that got a mark on the bottom. I had previously put about 7-800 rounds through each of these rifles with very little issue.

He picked the rifle he liked best, and took it home. I ordered him an extra BCG from BCM and I gave him a case of .223, and 10 30 round mags. I told him if he gets more into it sell that rifle and upgrade or buy parts for it and I’ll help him set it up. So now he has no excuse to train and shoot it every chance he gets. All he needs is an optic, light, and cleaning kit. He should probably get an armorers wrench as well, I’ll add that to his list of shit to buy.

I on the other hand am now down a rifle so that link that was posted from PWS looks mighty interesting!

UPDATE: took him shooting yesterday with my 3 psa builds, 2 rifles and 1 pistol. He didn’t like the pistol so we focused on the rifles, he shot about 400 rounds through them while I loaded a bunch of mags for him. 1 malfunction, a double feed, 2 rounds popped out of the mag so that got a mark on the bottom. I had previously put about 7-800 rounds through each of these rifles with very little issue.

He picked the rifle he liked best, and took it home. I ordered him an extra BCG from BCM and I gave him a case of .223, and 10 30 round mags. I told him if he gets more into it sell that rifle and upgrade or buy parts for it and I’ll help him set it up. So now he has no excuse to train and shoot it every chance he gets. All he needs is an optic, light, and cleaning kit. He should probably get an armorers wrench as well, I’ll add that to his list of shit to buy.

I on the other hand am now down a rifle so that link that was posted from PWS looks mighty interesting!
BEV block as well, or the armorer’s wrench won't help as much, probably also an inexpensive wheeler brass punch set (bolt catch, gas block roll pins)

can have all of the above for under 100 off amazon, or a little more via other channels.

headspace gauges for yourself if you don’t already have a set, to check that new bolt is in headspace with the barrel.

Reactions: 300zx_tt
"The world's an imperfect place. Screws fall out all the time."

A friend of mine had a semi auto rifle that he'd owner and shot a lot for years. While he didn't shoot it much anymore, his wife really enjoyed shooting it and was comfortable with it's operation. Because of this he kept it handy as the "house gun". One day he decides to shoot it in a match just to get some trigger time with it. I remember it well because I was the RO running him on the first stage of the match. "Are you ready?" "Stand by." (beep) Followed soon after by a "click". Cleared it, "click". Again, "click".

He didn't get a single round off in the match. It apparently broke of the very last shot of the previous range trip several months before. It had been siting in a closet loaded and inopperable, waiting for the "S" to "HTF" since then. What are the odds? Some real bad luck for sure, and he was understandably horrified. He fixed it, but it wasn't the house gun after that, he no longer trusted it. But it goes to show you all the testing in the world can still mean nothing more than you're using up your borrowed time.

The end. ;)

BEV block as well, or the armorer’s wrench won't help as much, probably also an inexpensive wheeler brass punch set (bolt catch, gas block roll pins)

can have all of the above for under 100 off amazon, or a little more via other channels.

headspace gauges for yourself if you don’t already have a set, to check that new bolt is in headspace with the barrel.
Good call, added to his list of shit to buy. Thanks!

A friend of mine had a semi auto rifle that he'd owner and shot a lot for years. While he didn't shoot it much anymore, his wife really enjoyed shooting it and was comfortable with it's operation. Because of this he kept it handy as the "house gun". One day he decides to shoot it in a match just to get some trigger time with it. I remember it well because I was the RO running him on the first stage of the match. "Are you ready?" "Stand by." (beep) Followed soon after by a "click". Cleared it, "click". Again, "click".

He didn't get a single round off in the match. It apparently broke of the very last shot of the previous range trip several months before. It had been siting in a closet loaded and inopperable, waiting for the "S" to "HTF" since then. What are the odds? Some real bad luck for sure, and he was understandably horrified. He fixed it, but it wasn't the house gun after that, he no longer trusted it. But it goes to show you all the testing in the world can still mean nothing more than you're using up your borrowed time.

The end. ;)
One more reason to- at least- pull and clean the BCG after a range trip…

Reactions: JohnCarter17
UPDATE: took him...

Patriots don't let patriots buy optics, lights, or any shooting related products from CCP owned companies. Notice I didn't say "made in..." because there's a big difference between "owned by" and "made in".

Patriots don't let patriots buy optics, lights, or any shooting related products from CCP owned companies. Notice I didn't say "made in..." because there's a big difference between "owned by" and "made in".
There will be no Holsun or Olight on this rifle I can assure you, I won’t let that happen.

Trying to push him into a comp m4 since I gave him the rifle, ammo and mags, let’s see how cheap he really is.

Streamlight and surefire are only a few extra bucks. Easily worth the extra coin. Any other light setups you’d recommend?

There will be no Holsun or Olight on this rifle I can assure you, I won’t let that happen.

Trying to push him into a comp m4 since I gave him the rifle, ammo and mags, let’s see how cheap he really is.

Streamlight and surefire are only a few extra bucks. Easily worth the extra coin. Any other light setups you’d recommend?
Actually I’d go for an MRDS on a riser over a tube style, better threat visibility. If you want to get spendy get an Eotech holo, reliably bomb-proof. Exception is if he wants to use it glasses-off and has an astigmatism, in which case swampfox Blade is the best option available as far as a 1x CQB prism

As far as a light, Surefire M300 or Cloud Defensive option minimum.

My bedside pistol is an old rossi 38 loaded with lead. Haters gonna hate.
I wouldn't volunteer to get shot with it. Any tool you have when it's needed it better than the tool you need but don't have (or the gucci 4k ar in the safe you can't open in the dark.)

American light companies (double check to see which models are made in USA)- Elzetta, Malkoff, InForce, Arisaka, Cloud Defensive, OWL, HDS, Surefire, Streamlight

Reactions: teslawasframed

The end. ;)
This is where a time-travel device would come in handy…wait…a time travel device sort of negates owning a gun at all.

Carry on.

So the M16A2 that had been issued to many Marines before him wasn’t good enough to defend his life? Unless someone is well known for being a pro level shooter under pressure, the best investment is a rifle that goes bang, lots of practice, and decent coaching. Buying Jordan’s shoes doesn’t make anyone an NBA star. The US version of a Norinco would serve almost everyone just fine. Until the shooter can outshoot their rifle in field positions, (not the bench), “precision” ARs are like a fat ugly chick buying fake titties. Sure you take a look, but that’s all they are good for.

I personaly don't trust any gun I haven't put at least 300 rounds through problem free. I have some of the premium PSAs that I would trust if my BCM wasn't available.
Gun needs to go 1000 rounds with only consistent lubrication before stoppages occur. Good break in plus you learn the reliability

Even at the 1000 round mark, a basic field strip, wipe down, and bore snake/lube should solve any issues and carry on for another 1k+ rounds.

Reactions: Steve_In_29
Keltec SU16 FTW. Prettymuch the Gold Standard.

Gun needs to go 1000 rounds with only consistent lubrication before stoppages occur. Good break in plus you learn the reliability

Even at the 1000 round mark, a basic field strip, wipe down, and bore snake/lube should solve any issues and carry on for another 1k+ rounds.
Just an observation

At one point over the course of a few range trips I put well over 1000rds through my wife's SU16CA without cleaning or a stoppage. Just a shot of lube at the start of each range session. This was with zinc coated Silver Bear ammo, as the previously used poly/lacquer stuff required a quick chamber scrub every 200rds or so.

That being said, I bought it used and have no idea of previous round count but after quite a few thousand rounds on my part, I did experience the dreaded receiver blow out. Interestingly enough a zip tie around the rifle to hold the upper in place would have let me keep shooting had the situation required it. Despite my not being the original owner, Keltec replaced it and paid shipping both ways.

I had bought the rifle for my wife as at the time it was the lightest 5.56 rifle available that took AR mags. It weighed 4.4 pounds empty and this was DECADES before the AR pistol craze that came along later. It even predated the lightweight AR builds that used titanium, carbon fiber, etc and cost thousands.

Would I go to war with it...no. But it serves a purpose for me.

I have a rifle I pieced together during the early Obama Era (2008-2009) for under $500.

I just bought the scraps off of people.

DPMS Thin barrel upper assembly. (No BCG)
DSA Arms Lower
A2 Stock takeoff from someone's parts drawer.
FA BCG lightened by dremel?... not really sure. It was a test bed for someone but I got it for reallly cheap.

I eventually took off the gas block and plastic handguards, and replaced it with a low profile gasblock and put a long free-float handguard on it, and that's it.

I have literally submerged it for more than an hour (With the Red dot) and pulled it out, drained the barrel, and shot it without any issue.

I use old milsurp COLT aluminum mags with it..... I would put it up against ANYONE's AR15 for reliability.

Oh and did I Mention I've never cleaned it? Oh and I don't oil it? I put about 2500 rounds through it in the first 2-3 years I owned it.

Enjoy.

I don’t trust my life with much of anything that is quick detach. That’s just me.
Modern QDs that have a locked latch and constant tensioning (bobro, scalarworks, AGM, etc) are solid and will stand up to plenty of abuse. the lower grade/older QDs that rely on the lever just being cammed over alone to stay locked not so much.

Reactions: 308pirate
Police turn-in Colt M4 uppers are pretty available, change the handguard to MLOK and gas block to low profile and add MagPul back up sights. Any decent lower. $650 to $750 without optic, depending on who’s handguard and who’s lower and trigger you use.

A palmetto state armory lower with Magpul furniture and PSA’s “enhanced polished trigger,” will get it done for $160 or so.

Done and done. If you’re into the used upper, handguard and sights for more than $600 you’re doing it wrong.

Someone, God knows who, convinced the local cops to trade their “old” uppers for new uppers. The one I just bought is a 2018 build from the dates on the barrel. I paid $375 out the door.

Police turn in long guns are mostly, in my experience, wear from bouncing around in the trunk or squad car, and haven’t been shot much. As in 2,000 - 5,000 rounds total. Just broken in!

Police turn in pistols and mags are even better.

Last edited:
.....both informative and entertaining comments in this thread (y)

...during my time in that land of high mountains and routes where "moon dust" were encountered frequently, an AK kept up in the cupola was sometimes faster to employ than remedial action on a downed issue weapon... ;)

Reactions: BCP
M4s have become more reliable, but AKs are the standard for running while full of slit or powdered dirt. Hence why the third world is full of them. Cheap and reliable, and good enough for shots at human sized targets under 200M or so with iron sights.

Still, a M4 or AR with a decent optic, internals cleaned as needed, and with the dust cover closed when not in use, and a mag in the mag well to prevent dirt getting up there, is pretty reliable.

And almost always more accurate.

....in a truly "SHTF" scenario, eventually everyone is going to be using what nature provided them....their brain, body, sticks, stones 🤷‍♂️
What nature provided us is the worst case of kleptomania in the animal kingdom. "hey that fur coat sure looks nice for this climate, I'll have it off him"

Reactions: Jscb1b
What nature provided us is the worst case of kleptomania in the animal kingdom. "hey that fur coat sure looks nice for this climate, I'll have it off him"
i think that is why nature inserts some kind of religion when animals adopt tools and a weak and defective specimen of the species can kill a stronger and better specimen, even the leader of that group of animals.
if nature allows evil, corrupted and defective individuals to take control, the group is doomed.
just look at what is happening to america.

it was meant as a joke that's all:)
Oh! Haha! One guy pointed out the new stuff has latch mechanism built in. I’m sure they are quite good. I know the qd latch on my alpha is not coming off easily. Otherwise I don’t know a lot about the newer designs. Quick change barrels and such are very interesting also.

Oh! Haha! One guy pointed out the new stuff has latch mechanism built in. I’m sure they are quite good. I know the qd latch on my alpha is not coming off easily. Otherwise I don’t know a lot about the newer designs. Quick change barrels and such are very interesting also.
I think the spring concern is over blown like all things of late. Have seen them abused (adm and bobro) and have yet to see a failure. Optics go down, you absolutely want a qd to revert to irons.

Reactions: Makinchips208
I'm definately gun-budget poor. I built a "beater" 556 over several months, just using sale parts, for $437 a few yrs ago (like barrel for $47 from PA black friday etc, PSA LPK). The BCG is a toolcraft. It shot about 1.2" groups at 100 with my reloads and, for the price, I was happy. This thing must have been the opposite of "tolerance stacking" as it is the smoothest action I have ever felt. I have subsequently added a better barrel (easy to get to 0.5-0.7" groups w reloads) and trigger but am still in less than 800 (including the cost of the original barrel and trigger). I had a BUIS fall off during a 2 gun match (came loose). Definitely used the money saved to roll a bunch of 556 and just fn shoot it.

Reactions: MadDuner
I have a rifle I pieced together during the early Obama Era (2008-2009) for under $500.

I just bought the scraps off of people.

DPMS Thin barrel upper assembly. (No BCG)
DSA Arms Lower
A2 Stock takeoff from someone's parts drawer.
FA BCG lightened by dremel?... not really sure. It was a test bed for someone but I got it for reallly cheap.

I eventually took off the gas block and plastic handguards, and replaced it with a low profile gasblock and put a long free-float handguard on it, and that's it.

I have literally submerged it for more than an hour (With the Red dot) and pulled it out, drained the barrel, and shot it without any issue.

I use old milsurp COLT aluminum mags with it..... I would put it up against ANYONE's AR15 for reliability.

Oh and did I Mention I've never cleaned it? Oh and I don't oil it? I put about 2500 rounds through it in the first 2-3 years I owned it.

Enjoy.
You are aware that the only thing "Colt" about those mags is the name the magazine manufacturer stamped on the base plate right?

Reactions: clcustom1911
M4s have become more reliable, but AKs are the standard for running while full of slit or powdered dirt. Hence why the third world is full of them. Cheap and reliable, and good enough for shots at human sized targets under 200M or so with iron sights.

Still, a M4 or AR with a decent optic, internals cleaned as needed, and with the dust cover closed when not in use, and a mag in the mag well to prevent dirt getting up there, is pretty reliable.

And almost always more accurate.
Again this is bullshit. In modern testing the AR is superior to the AR in dirty environments. Its design lends itself to keeping shit out of the action better than most platforms while being able to clear out debris better than most.

The AK is a firearms marvel but people need to stop spouting such nonsense.

Reactions: stefan73