• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Least expensive AR you’d trust your life to?

If you're looking for pure reliability on a budget, I think the PWS MK PRO is probably more reliable than any DI gun including KAC, Geissele, etc just by the basis of it's design and function. Especially if you run suppressed with a lot of gas/stuff coming back into the receiver.
I have a PWS MK 2 SBR. I changed some things in the buffer and shoot it exclusively with a can. It is my most pleasant SBR to shoot, in no way is it the most reliable. I think that two of my DI rifles are more dependable.

I have a PWS MK 2 SBR. I changed some things in the buffer and shoot it exclusively with a can. It is my most pleasant SBR to shoot, in no way is it the most reliable. I think that two of my DI rifles are more dependable.
You’ve got something wrong then in your system.

ETA: I know that answer may frustrate you but if you let us know what issues you’re having the nice folks here will likely be able to diagnose the issue. For example, what types of failures have you experienced and at what frequency? What ammo were you using? What direction does your brass eject? Is the gun still gassy shooting suppressed? What can are you using?

Last edited:
You’ve got something wrong then in your system.

ETA: I know that answer may frustrate you but if you let us know what issues you’re having the nice folks here will likely be able to diagnose the issue. For example, what types of failures have you experienced and at what frequency? What ammo were you using? What direction does your brass eject? Is the gun still gassy shooting suppressed? What can are you using?
The rod broke where the piston attached to the bolt around 4500 rounds. The Extractor broke at around 8k rounds fired. My DD MK 18 is at 15k rounds without a failure (its circa 2011, replaced the BCG and the barrel just because of wear. Replaced the furniture same reason).

The rod sounds like a material issue that’s a one off. The extractor issue could be from
Over gassing or too light of a buffer trying to rip the case out before pressure has dropped sufficiently or simply a weak part of it broke at the pin instead of the rim. Regardless an extractor on a PWS or a Geissele is the same material and may even come from the same manufacturer. I wouldn’t really view an extractor failure as anything wrong with the gun. The piston rod is alarming though and I’ve never heard of anyone having that issue on a PWS. Has anyone else heard of this?

I did some more digging for you. Apparently around 2017 a batch of guns got out with improper heat treated op rods. Not sure how old yours is or when this happened, but this could explain it. QC issue that wasn’t caught. Obviously not a good look for the company but shit happens sometimes.

Reactions: CRPCustomMachine
You guys are over thinking it.

Most of you won’t survive day 1 of the apocalypse so just run your PSA and don’t worry about it.
Speak for yourself. I'll be spawn-camping and picking up those sweet power-ups dropped by the newbs...

• Haha
Reactions: Naaman and Rerun7
You guys are over thinking it.

Most of you won’t survive day 1 of the apocalypse so just run your PSA and don’t worry about it.
I'm gonna survive long after everyone and yes, I'll eat the liberals lol

Don't claim to know everything about anything. But a long military career, being a certified gunsmith & armorer and having my shop at a large gun club and range (www.theranchgunclub.com) provides lots of experience and many opportunities to try and test things in the real world - not behind a key board. With that lot to do on the benches. Cheers
Wow! $3K annual membership.

The rod sounds like a material issue that’s a one off. The extractor issue could be from
Over gassing or too light of a buffer trying to rip the case out before pressure has dropped sufficiently or simply a weak part of it broke at the pin instead of the rim. Regardless an extractor on a PWS or a Geissele is the same material and may even come from the same manufacturer. I wouldn’t really view an extractor failure as anything wrong with the gun. The piston rod is alarming though and I’ve never heard of anyone having that issue on a PWS. Has anyone else heard of this?
It is why I made the comment. AKs, ARs with long and short stroke pistons and DI guns are all pistons. I actually think that the simplest system is the DI (and yes I have broken one of them as well). My most reliable rifle is my DD MK18, it is over gassed and feeds everything. The recoil impulse is kind of harsh for a .556 or compared to the PWS but the reliability is off the chart.
I joined last week, I have my new guy tour next weekend.

Piston= Op Rod/Tap Rod/Push Rod design
Di= Direct Impingement/Direct Gas= gas tube

The fact of the matter is the gun world uses the term "Di" for direct impingement/direct gas, and "Piston" for Op Rod systems. We arrived at that because the Op Rod is the "Piston" in the design. There's no Op Rod/Piston in a Di gun- there's a gas tube.

Check parts diagrams for virtually any Piston gun, even AKs and SCARs, and the Op Rod is often labeled "piston". Not so in a Di gun because there isn't one.

In both Di and Piston guns- the "bolt" is called the bolt, and isn't referred to as the piston.

I kind of feel like, why put a price on your life potentially. Just buy one of the top brands. I personally wouldnt use anything other than a knights

Check out school of the american rifle on youtube. He does lots of inspection videos where he measures and gauges the hell out of parts from various companies. It gives some perspective on what to watch out for, even on the big name stuff.

Reactions: Milf Dots
I joined last week, I have my new guy tour next weekend.
I'm so glad my range membership was included in the price of my house...

N7mFDOO.jpg

Piston= Op Rod/Tap Rod/Push Rod design
Di= Direct Impingement/Direct Gas= gas tube

The fact of the matter is the gun world uses the term "Di" for direct impingement/direct gas, and "Piston" for Op Rod systems. We arrived at that because the Op Rod is the "Piston" in the design. There's no Op Rod/Piston in a Di gun- there's a gas tube.

Check parts diagrams for virtually any Piston gun, even AKs and SCARs, and the Op Rod is often labeled "piston". Not so in a Di gun because there isn't one.

In both Di and Piston guns- the "bolt" is called the bolt, and isn't referred to as the piston.
The bolt IS the piston in a "DI" system.

Alot of people who say shit like this do it because they want to feel better about their own shitty life situations, not all but a lot. They probably buy their shoes from pay-less and think a fancy dinner is a night at applebees with the 2 for 1. They have little to zero training , as those experiences would show them the difference between quality gear and junk marked to mouth breathing masses like them. You can usually identify them by zombie stickers, black rifle coffee shirts and an affinity for sucking dick every chance they get.

Jealousy combined with ignorance is a pathetic way to go through life.
Hey..

I had the ribs at Applebee's yesterday..
And I do have a PSA and a Aero...

Shit...

I'm not going to say anything about PSA and Aero. But, Applebee's? Really? You're now on my ignore list...
Hahaha.
I got done dozing at 7pm. Was hungry as fuck and ordered pickup. Ate it like a savage in the parking lot and drove home. I'm a peasant and I don't give a fuck.

Most of the towns I work in are small and Applebee's is fancy there haha

Hahaha.
I got done dozing at 7pm. Was hungry as fuck and ordered pickup. Ate it like a savage in the parking lot and drove home. I'm a peasant and I don't give a fuck.

Most of the towns I work in are small and Applebee's is fancy there haha
I would have to drive almost 5 hours (each way) to eat at an Applebee's. One of the best places to eat in town here (10 miles from my house) is the Mexican place inside a gas station.

It's pretty pathetic how some people on here think that because they eat at fancy restaurants that they are somehow better then others.

Hate to break it to you, but modern society and our entire environment is awash with synthetic estrogen hormones that are affecting humans, animals and plants on many levels.
Making it unrecoverable- and different from mercury poisoning.

My PA-10 Lower is set up with a separately purchased PSA 308 Upper. They mate very evenly and function ideally. Although the PA-10 runs perfectly, I still replaced the buffer assembly with a JP Silent Captured Buffer, just to try it out. Its a much smoother shooting gun now.

My PA-15 Lowers are all assembled with AR Stoner Uppers (5.56 and 6.5g), and both mate and run flawlessly. My 6.5G got into some overly hot handloads and broke its extractor, which appears to be common with those new to handloading the 6.5G; my bad. I replaced it with an improved Grendel extractor from JP; it's far more robust. Modifying a standard AR-15 bolt face to handle the 6.5G can compromise the extractor and handloaders new to it can exceed its force capacity before the brass gives unmistakable signs of too much pressure. Such pressures would be way OK in a bolt gun.

How this relates to DPMS, I simply don't know.

While I refer to these rifles as mine, they are actually being handed down to my descendants. I'm getting out of guns and expect to own none besides a few handguns for HD/PD by the end of this year (Ruger American 9, and an M&P Compact 22lr). I expect I'll keep the Ruger PC 9 Carbine, far less offensive to tender Liberal "feelings" I'll just tell 'em it's "my 10/22 Heavyweight".

I'm switching over my spare time to make and fly scratch built rubber powered Free Flight model aircraft, most of which are intended to fly in indoor spaces, like gyms. etc.

This is more in keeping with my health regimen, I'm OLD. I turn 76 tomorrow. I expect to complete construction of my model build shop sometime next week. Off and on, I've been flying model aircraft since 1949, and building my own since a few years later.

Greg

Last edited:
Was talking guns with one of my sub contractors today. He was talking about “battle rifles” he’d trust his life to. He named a few of the typical upper echelon rifles like Knight’s, LMT, hodge, Radian (pretty sure he just googled “best AR”) etc… I get only wanting the absolute best, we all want the best but dropping $2,500-3,000 isn't in the cards for some people. My Brother in Law for example has been wanting an AR that won’t

break the bank for his go bag/shtf rifle.

At this point he’s said he’s better off spending $1,000 bucks on a rifle and buying a bunch of ammo to go train with. (I agree 100% with that, a $3k rifle is only as good as the guy running it)

I don’t have a ton of experience with semi autos so I figured I’d ask here. Any body have recommendations for stuff in the $1000-$1200 range? Is that a realistic budget to get a decent rifle in today’s world?
I have a few PSA builds that work and work well, but I’m not sure I’d want to run them as a shtf gun. I liked my BCM but I sold it to fund another project before I could really put a ton of rounds through it. Like I said earlier I’m not real into semi auto’s so I dont know where to start with a recommendation.
Sig M400 Tread. I've put a ton of rounds through it without a malfunction yet.

You get what you pay for! Check the website and social media out. Training, education, competition, gunsmith services, Ranges - pistol carbine, long range w/targets to 1760 yards, 360 tactical, block house, real prison, (the city) urban CQB, night vision course, etc. We have almost 1200 acres of area to use. Coming soon sporting clays, trap & skeet.

You get what you pay for! Check the website and social media out. Training, education, competition, gunsmith services, Ranges - pistol carbine, long range w/targets to 1760 yards, 360 tactical, block house, real prison, (the city) urban CQB, night vision course, etc. We have almost 1200 acres of area to use. Coming soon sporting clays, trap & skeet.
ALL use/classes is included in the $3K or does that just let people pay member rates?

Reactions: Milf Dots
I sure hope the new owners of the facility have the money to market that wonderful site- that's what the 2-3 previous owners didn't have.

Reactions: CRPCustomMachine
I wish we had something like that around here. Sounds awesome.

all that you mentioned is great and if there are no additional costs super. You mention education, training, competition, gunsmith etc; that included?

ALL use/classes is included in the $3K or does that just let people pay member rates?
I'm not certain about everything included with the premium membership. There are extras and perks that go with it. Whoever posted the 3k figure wasn't telling the whole story. There are various levels of membership. Not everyone is a long range shooter or wants a premium membership. There are memberships all the way down to punch card members who pre pay for a set number of range days over a specific period of time like 3 months or 6 months.

Several groups contract to hold special events and specialized training - I know there are fees associated with those sessions. How membership effects that IDK. I think the web site answers most questions but calling probably doesn't hurt either. www.theranchgunclub.com
regards

I'm not certain about everything included with the premium membership. There are extras and perks that go with it. Whoever posted the 3k figure wasn't telling the whole story. There are various levels of membership. Not everyone is a long range shooter or wants a premium membership. There are memberships all the way down to punch card members who pre pay for a set number of range days over a specific period of time like 3 months or 6 months.

Several groups contract to hold special events and specialized training - I know there are fees associated with those sessions. How membership effects that IDK. I think the web site answers most questions but calling probably doesn't hurt either. www.theranchgunclub.com
regards
I got the figure from their website.

$3k was the membership that got you everything.

I didn't get into the weeds about the lesser memberships. And paying ala-carte can add up quick in any case.

Have plenty of PSA 10s bit het to see a DPMS reserection and for the recoding dpms mean does not fit shit, psa are the most incompatible 10s there are, not one part matches up the real upper is almost 3/4” different in length, with psa you buy barrel and for the rest. Would like another real one though in 270

Have plenty of PSA 10s bit het to see a DPMS reserection and for the recoding dpms mean does not fit shit, psa are the most incompatible 10s there are, not one part matches up the real upper is almost 3/4” different in length, with psa you buy barrel and for the rest. Would like another real one though in 270
Friends don't let Friends buy psa. :)

Reactions: Constructor
Hey our owners are so lost in the ether, with a good barrel I don’t give a shit what mil spec parts you use if I line 10 different guns up I can figure the same it would be one bit a fucking difference the funniest thing is most all of you Think price equals quality except when it comes to the coat hanger manufacturer design Glock, That’s the greatest goal in the world that my Asian KP7 squeeze Cocker that brings seven grand in average shape used as inferior fucking NYPD syndrome quality isn’t assembly name means jack shit, and of course if you can’t see it doesn’t matter anyway I saw it next to a guy with a $12,000 accuracy international he couldn’t hit shit but I did with my $1200 LR308 there is no standard unless it’s handmade by a very very accomplished machinist mil spec is mil spec

Hey our owners are so lost in the ether, with a good barrel I don’t give a shit what mil spec parts you use if I line 10 different guns up I can figure the same it would be one bit a fucking difference the funniest thing is most all of you Think price equals quality except when it comes to the coat hanger manufacturer design Glock, That’s the greatest goal in the world that my Asian KP7 squeeze Cocker that brings seven grand in average shape used as inferior fucking NYPD syndrome quality isn’t assembly name means jack shit, and of course if you can’t see it doesn’t matter anyway I saw it next to a guy with a $12,000 accuracy international he couldn’t hit shit but I did with my $1200 LR308 there is no standard unless it’s handmade by a very very accomplished machinist mil spec is mil spec

Your statement kind of reads like an unfiltered random stream of ideas.

tenor (2).gif

The 2 Andro Corp rifles I have are some of the nicest shooting rifles I’ve had. (KAC, JP, DD, SW) The 10.3 pistol with the .070 gas port is the softest shooting rifle I have had at any barrel length. I’ve got a Surefire brake on it as I have a couple surefire cans in jail right now.

Also have a 14.5” I had them build with a KAC URX 3.1 rail. That one also shoots great and has the SF brake. Surprisingly the 10.3” has less recoil.

Zeroed them both at 50 yds and could ring 10” steel plates at 200 off hand with a red dot pretty easily with them. That’s good enough for me. I didn’t buy these to shoot tacks at 600yds.

I’ve only got about 500 rounds through each of them, but no issues yet. I myself would have any issues grabbing one if I was on my way out of the house when the world is ending.

Everyone here is dumber for reading this.

Dumb is a group where those that mock contribute nothing, any comment you would deem stupid, my comments are intended to exact a response. Which since you’re unable to articulate an intelligent remark you are now dumber so lets see if there any actual nuerons operating in that head of yours. Two gun in photo comment on both with something interesting good or bad and if bad why

Attachments

• C75D8D3D-B34C-4948-8B1B-67B94DFEA98F.jpeg
    C75D8D3D-B34C-4948-8B1B-67B94DFEA98F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • EC668F79-E85E-4C91-B4DF-8DD0C55B2EEB.jpeg
    EC668F79-E85E-4C91-B4DF-8DD0C55B2EEB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
Display what stupidly looks like to trolls that will diminish anything, Carlos Hathcock would be an ass to that guy i want him. To prove he even has guns or justs sits in his room typing shit

Dumb is a group where those that mock contribute nothing, any comment you would deem stupid, my comments are intended to exact a response. Which since you’re unable to articulate an intelligent remark you are now dumber so lets see if there any actual nuerons operating in that head of yours. Two gun in photo comment on both with something interesting good or bad and if bad why

Do you actually own that P7 M13?

If so, you could consider ordering some of the wood Nill Grips.
Considering what that pistol is worth now days, you might as well dress it up a bit more for fun.

Just as a note, your grammar is fairly bad, you might want to proofread a little before posting.