• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Lee collet die, neck tension, jacket shaving, ahh!

Glennp

Private
Minuteman
This load works well for me but I get some flyers which really, really could be me. But i want to eliminate possibilies. Im neck sizing with a lee collet die, in my lee challenger press. I chamfer every loading if it needs a touchin' up, inside and out. I also brush the inside of my necks. I havent screwed around with the inside of the die or the mandrel.

Anyways, whats happening is every now and then it feels like its taking more/less effort to seat the bullet and im getting consistant, very minor shavings on all the seated bullets. just around the mouth. Its barely visable, but it goes all the way around.

Is this bad? Any way to check this? I have calipers but thats it.

EDIT: durr! forgot the load!
hornady TAP brass
A-MAX 168grn
43grn IMR 4895
CCI LR
bullet seated back .015" from lands for an OAL of 3.275 (including comperator)

Re: Lee collet die, neck tension, jacket shaving, ahh!

Are you inside chamfering each case every time? If you use an inside chamfer tool or VLD chamfer (best option to use), then it won't shave the bullet. Also, I am not a fan of using nickel coated brass, like the TAP brass. I would start with some new brass, non-nickel coated, and your problem should go away.

Im chamfering every loading, after the first time its just a quick touchup. Im using the lee handheld chamfer tool on a zip trim. Not really the most square way to do it, I do get some chatter. Think a VLD done by hand would fix this? How much chamfer do I need? approx 1/3 thickness of the wall?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glennp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">approx 1/3 thickness of the wall? </div></div>

correct

I am thinking that its the nickel plating on the inside edge of the chamfer leaving little burrs of plating that catch the bullet jacket.
After chamfering try a neck polish with an old bore brush wrapped in steel wool.
In addition to the good advise above you could also try seating the bullet a short distance into the neck and then withdrawing it slightly and rotating it 90 to 180 degress the exact ammount does not matter .
Then seat the rest of the way. What this does is take some pressure off the neck walls to straighten up the bullet as it seats.
Also try backing off some off the pressure you are using on the press handle to size the necks . The mandrel diameter might be a bit on the small side .
I have had one that was too big for the caliber so it is possible.