• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE 308

THE SENTINEL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2005
USA
Anyone using a LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE?I want to crimp 175gr
Sierra bthp.I am running in M1A and DPMS SASS.

Re: LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE 308

I use them, don't go overboard with non canalure pils

I should have added that I only use the crimp die for my cannalure semi-auto loads.

I use it on my .223 & 308 loads for an AR & M1A. Like 427 Cobra said don,t crank it down to far.

Would the Redding taper crimp die work better???
for non cannulure bullets

Nothing beats the factory crimp die for cannelure/semi auto loads.

I am loading**NON** cannelure.You are saying LEE is the best.

If you are loading non-cannelure, there's really no point in crimping but you can put a light crimp on if you want.

I use the LFCD on non Canalure pills in my semi auto AR15 and used to have AR10, its extra insurance and peace of mind, just don't go overboard, if your deforming the bullet you went too far, back it off alittle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THE SENTINEL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am loading**NON** cannelure.You are saying LEE is the best. </div></div>

There are two types of dies. Those like the Lee FCD are taper crimp dies, as opposed to a roll crimp die that you use for crimping revolver loads, for example, as well as rounds that head space on the rim, like 30-30, usually with canelures. When you want no bullet jump due to recoil (in a cylinder) or spring compression in a tubular magazine a roll crimp is applicable on a rimmed cartridge as case mouth plays no part in headspace.

The Dillon crimp die, (like Lee's, only better
grin.gif
) can be adjusted to greater or lesser taper crimp. When crimping to a cannelure,(whether roll or taper), it is important to keep cases trimmed to exact length so the crimp always falls on the cannelure. On clean bullets, a little trial and error is usually required if you want to be certain the recoil of your rifle doesn't cause the rounds in the mag to drive the bullets in or out of the case.

A little won't hurt, too much can deform the bullet and the case enough to prevent chambering.

I have Lee and Dillon dies but only crimp rifle cases for the gas or lever guns.

I am using one on both 140 XBTs and 175 SMKs for my FAL - haven't been able to shoot them yet, though it does a nice job considering the lack of a cannelure - hard to tell if it is uniform from one cartridge to the next..

Hmmm. I'm not an expert by any means but I do read a bit and both Glen Zediker and Larry Femster in their books say that there's no reason to, if your getting proper neck tension of ~.002-.003. I believe that they are referring to non-cannalured
bullets.

I've never had a problem in any AR15 or my LR-308. An M1A is a different beast though and I would use and FCD on those.

I use the Lee FCD for my hunting and pistol ammo though with positive results.

YMMV

I use the LEE FCD on all my auto-loader rounds, incl. .223, .308

Gives you the option to crimp on non-cannelured bullets, or non-cannelured portion of a bullet that does have one.

I Use a Factory crimp die on my .223, .260, and .308.

Bolt guns, gas guns it doesn't matter.

Its just extra piece of mind for me since i feed from a mag on these guns.
I use a Lyman type M die to expand the case mouth very very slightly.
This puts it back to the right shape.
I don't crush the brass just a slight crimp.

I use them for .223 and .308. semi auto loads. I ended up building and pulling a few dummy rounds to get the light crimp dialed in for the non-cannelured bullets.

One thing the Lee FCD does is, give you a standard neck tension with little work.

I use mine with a light kiss on the .223's on a AR-15.

No issues at all on 69grn SMK's and 77grn SNK's

John