• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee Perfect Powder Measure is VERY consistent for 8208XBR

alpine44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
North Carolina
I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure (LPPM) typically only to get some powder in the pan and then trickle up. For that purpose there was no point in buying something fancy and more expensive.

Today, I noticed that the throw variation of the LPPM is undetectable on a RCBS 505 scale for 8208XBR if - and that maybe the trick - I set the powder cut-off halfway between OFF and ON. I think that the slower speed at which the powder falls into the measuring cavity makes the result less dependent on how you throw the drum. Just speculating here; I am not a powder kernel and do not play one on TV.

8208XBR meters well to begin with, compared to other extruded powders. But still, the very consistent throws were a surprise. The setting of the powder cut-off was an accident that I noticed when I emptied the powder measure. I then repeated the test with fully open and half open setting and half open was definitely the ticket.

I can imagine the horror on some peoples's faces when they hear Lee but why not give it a try. It may save you money and time.

Last edited:
I've been using the same one for 25 + year's and it still amaze's me on it's accuracy and consistancy

I've never tried the half/half trick, but i throw 8208 into .223 with the LPPM with less than 1/10th grain variation. Very pleased with it.

I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure (LPPM) typically only to get some powder in the pan and then trickle up. For that purpose there was no point in buying something fancy and more expensive.

Today, I noticed that the throw variation of the LPPM is undetectable on a RCBS 505 scale for 8208XBR if - and that maybe the trick - I set the powder cut-off halfway between OFF and ON. I think that the slower speed at which the powder falls into the measuring cavity makes the result less dependent on how you throw the drum. Just speculating here; I am not a powder kernel and do not play one on TV.

8208XBR meters well to begin with, compared to other extruded powders. But still, the very consistent throws were a surprise. The setting of the powder cut-off was an accident that I noticed when I emptied the powder measure. I then repeated the test with fully open and half open setting and half open was definitely the ticket.

I can imagine the horror on some peoples's faces when they hear Lee but why not give it a try. It may save you money and time.