• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee powder dippers ?

bjohnson87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Greenville SC
Hey guys just picked these up they were on sale figured I could benefit from them on some load anyways I used the 1.9 dipper with varget which is supposed to read 26.0 gr but it actually measure 27.4 can any one help me understand this why are each scoop reading different from the chart thanks again and has anyone used these

Re: Lee powder dippers ?

Are you kidding?

If you want an accurate powder measure, get yourself a decent thrower and a scale.

Is this a serious question?
laugh.gif

I have the whole set plus the ones that came with the various sets of dies I have bought. I loaded ass loads of rounds using the nearest volume (below) dipper and trickling up to exact weight.

But scooping and screeding off the excess powder is a basic, i.e., "primitive" method of loading powder for what we aim to accomplish here.

As I recall, the powder weights would vary by as much as 2 grains by simply scooping and screeding. No way I would have trusted that method with my amazingly good looking face next to any of those haphazardly loaded rounds.

Weigh them and be sure.

Old man Lee was pretty cocksure about the genius of his implements but I always took most of his "Ad savvy" sith a large grain-o-salt.

Dude I understand all that I have been loading a while I'm just asking if it is supposed to measure 26.0 grains why it was reading 27.4 on a balance scale

Because compression, humidity, the way one holds his face, the position of the moon, all impact the actual weight you'll find when you weigh the scooped charge.

Do you routinely check the integrity and level of your scale?

here is another way of looking at this.say a fork lift states it can lift 20,000 Lbs.but it may lift more or less.this is just an esimated weight for that one dipper.they may have took an average of how much each dipper can draw from all makes of powder to get the average weight to list.

will you be able to get 26.0gn yes.(mostly more)but can you get that weight each time no.it would take a human feel that I will say no one has yet been able to get ,to be able to dip out the exact same amount of powder each time they use a Lee dipper.so take the info you have already been told,and use the dipper close the the charge weight you want,then trickle the rest.

I use the dippers as my starting point of measuring my powder for each round. Then trickle up.

Most manual powder throwers work on the same principle though, cup size.

I was always wondering if anyone uses those those alone for weighing their powder. I was hoping no one did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the dippers as my starting point of measuring my powder for each round. Then trickle up.</div></div>
This... either go up or down. After a while you get pretty quick at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalquark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was always wondering if anyone uses those those alone for weighing their powder. I was hoping no one did. </div></div>

I do it all the time for my 221 Fireball, 223 Remington, and 45-70. In fact I go out of my way to develop a load just so I can use only the dipper cups. It makes loading go a lot quicker and the repeatability of the dippers is as good as my Redding powder dispenser.

This is how I outfit my press when using the cups.

FunnelforClassicPress.jpg