• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Left hand gain twist in a gas gun?

gunsnjeeps

Retired Swab Jockey
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Norfolk, Va
This is kind of a @lowlight question but I'm going to field it for opinions. Can't learn if you don't ask.

I know Frank has a preference for left hand gain twist barrels, is the left twist for better recoil control?

Would the same benefits from from a left hand gain twist apply to an AR10 as a chasised bolt rifle?

Looking at Bartlein's new blend steel in a 6.5 Creedmoor 26" +2 AR10 barrel. Trying to decide if I should try the left twist if it is available.

I also just thought of a question, does a gain twist throat last longer than a standard twist given the lower starting chamber pressure?

This is kind of a @lowlight question but I'm going to field it for opinions. Can't learn if you don't ask.

I know Frank has a preference for left hand gain twist barrels, is the left twist for better recoil control?

Would the same benefits from from a left hand gain twist apply to an AR10 as a chasised bolt rifle?

Looking at Bartlein's new blend steel in a 6.5 Creedmoor 26" +2 AR10 barrel. Trying to decide if I should try the left twist if it is available.

I also just thought of a question, does a gain twist throat last longer than a standard twist given the lower starting chamber pressure?
Chamber pressure Pmax is same regardless, is more relative to groove diameter/freebore diameter and 'jump'. Bullet 'start' pressure or however your want to visualize it wouldn't change that much with the rate of progression. Throat would likely last longer due to the material holding up better.

Later

I run a LH gain twist in a .260 20” bartlein. It’s a hammer.

Reactions: Lowlight