• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lefty Rant....

Wags

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2019
I've been on the hunt for a Quality factory "left handed" rifle ( ideally 7mm or even 270 ) and have come to the realization that there isn't one. Tikka and Bergara are the only 2 brands ( wait for the Savage guys' heads to explode ) that are even close. However the Bergara is only short action calibers or 300 win, which isn't out of the question. Yet they don't offer a single rifle in their premier line.... I guess lefty's dont like higher end rifles ?.... same with Remington (which has taken a huge nose dive In Quality) or Browning. I called Christensen Arms and was told they don't have an offering in anything long action, only mellinial ( short )actions....:eek:....

With all the rave about the 6.5 it seems that rifle manufacturers have forgotten that there are a lot of us who prefer magnum rifles for hunting. I know.... the 6.5 can do everything a 300 win or 7mm can... :ROFLMAO:....that said I still err on the side of caution and prefer the magnum calibers for late season mulies and elk. I'm human, hunting is imperfect and those rounds can save your butt when you make a bad shot.

I would have no problem spending 1500 to 2k for a well made factory rifle. If there are any gun manufacturers on here, you may want to consider an offering in a LH top end gun in a line up of calibers...

Building a rifle isn't something all of us have the tools, funds or resources for. I'm not looking to shoot competitions or bench. I just want a decent Quality, stainless/cerekoted lefty in a good stock with a good (or replaceable) trigger in a 7mm. A threaded barrel would be nice but I can have that done if needed.

If anyone knows of such a unicorn I'm all ears.

That said if there's anyone in the Sacramento, Ca area that's trustworthy to rebarrel a rifle please PM me. Looks like I'll have to build my own from a Tikka.

Rant over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aceteck
Sing it, Brother Lefty...
"Hey, There's a new Ruger Precsion Rifle! Oh... not in Left Hand.."
"Hey, Tikka now makes a really nice .22LR! Oh... not in Left Hand".
"Hey, Looks like I can get a T3 in Left Hand.... as long as I want the lightweight hunter in .270 or .308..."

Reactions: Aceteck
I'm left handed too, my hunting rifle is a Remington 700 CDL 30-06. It's extremely accurate and has been easy to load for. As far as quality being shit with Remington I'm just not seeing it in the 3 I own so far.

I'll give Bergara the credit. They make the closest thing out there in Lefty. Tikka makes a great rifle, however it'll need a stock and trigger spring... hopefully someone can make an aftermarket soon...

I didn't see that in my quick google search.

My father in law has a LH Browning Hells Canyon LR in 6.5 Creedmoor. It was special ordered. They might do a 7mm Mag stainless in LH.

I didn't see that in my quick google search.

My father in law has a LH Browning Hells Canyon LR in 6.5 Creedmoor. It was special ordered. They might do a 7mm Mag stainless in LH.

In my last conversation with Browning they would only do it in short action. That was last year, I'll try again, maybe they have a mans action now.

He waited a year and was told they wouldn't do it after 10 months and his order was supposedly cancelled. The rifle showed up at his FFL dealer 2 months later. Browning surprisingly fulfilled the order. Probably one of the only LH Hells Canyon LR rifles in existence.

Reactions: Wags
there is your chance to make your own and turn it into a business so no left handed shooters are left out again . I wish you luck in getting the product you want in the orientation you want it . you could be rich picking up a market nitch that has been forgotten or just ignored act fast while the iron is hot .

I just picked up an S prefix (stainless) remington and I can honestly say its about as smooth as my LRI build with PTG bolt, nothing like the current RR prefix actions. Extraction timing was actually pretty good as well, not perfect but I'd leave it alone if I wasnt doing a complete overhaul anyway. My sample size is only one but I've handled quite a few RR actions to say its nothing like current production.

Might want to look for the older S prefix stainless model, I dont think youd be let down.

Get a Remington. There is nothing wrong with them. The QC ordeal is overblown. Pick up a stainless action from Buds Guns for $337 and go with it. Problem solved.

Just looked. They don’t sell left hand actions at Buds. ?. I’m sure you can find one somewhere else for a couple hundred more. ?

Reactions: JMGlasgow
10% of the population is left handed which translates to less in the shooting world. I feel your pain. Tooling wouldn’t cost much to do it it’s just the inventory end that makes it hard.

I'm a lefty and use CZ and Tikka.
You could get a stiller action in left hand (yes you did say factory rifle).
No one has mentioned Weatherby, they love big hitters and do a few in Left handed.

Reactions: Pappakap
I'll give Bergara the credit. They make the closest thing out there in Lefty. Tikka makes a great rifle, however it'll need a stock and trigger spring... hopefully someone can make an aftermarket soon...
You talking about an aftermarket trigger? Aftermarkets only come in 2 stage because you don't need an aftermarket single cause the factory one is great.

You only need the trigger spring if you want to go superlight and they are only $10. Tikkas are considered the one of the top factory triggers.

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/midas-trigger/ available in top or bottom mount safety.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6brshooter
There is also the Tikka jrtxb440. Left hand stainless 270wsm. To change it over later change out the barrel and bolt stop. It is only mag change and bolt stop to change to a long action in a Tikka. All Tikkas are technically long actions.

Also jrtxb418 270 win.

Yes you have to change the barrel if you want a heavy barrel left hand stainless.

FB_IMG_1549515972464.jpg

Tikka triggers go down to 1.5-1.75lb without using a yo dave spring. Thought this was a hunting gun not comp, lol

I'm left eye dominate but right handed. So I shoot left handed/left eyed but run right hand actions. It's a little hard on the learning curve but the world is right handed. Lots of really cool right handed stuff can be run left handed just fine if you adapt.

VooDoo

@Wags Awhile ago I tried to put together a Tikka buying guide. Post 3273 in the tikka thread. Page 66. Don't know how to link to that post directly.

I feel like you took my exact thoughts into this post. Right down the all the rifles I would consider, and the calibers. I'm waiting for bergara to offer left hands in their premier line. I love my HMR pro, but it's right handed. I've just decided to say fuck it and go custom. It will take me longer to save for it, but I will get a top notch, high quality magnum. I'm in Canada too. Left hand options aren't as available in higher quality gun makers, so if they are hard to find there, they're unicorns here. And customs cost $5000-$6000 or more.

Look at Marc Soulie of Spartan Rifles in San Jose. A wealth of knowledge and a cool guy to talk to. He will work with you on the re barrel and explain options. He built my lefty and it is a great rifle.

You can always look at an AI AXor DT SRS A1 in lefty. If you make it to the San Jose area you can shoot my AI or DT if you like.

Last edited:
Look at Marc Soulie of Spartan Rifles in San Jose. A wealth of knowledge and a cool guy to talk to and will work with you on the debarred. He built my lefty and it is a great rifle.
You can always look at an AI AXor DT SRS A1 in lefty. If you make it to the San Jose area you can shoot my AI or DT if you like.

Thank you! I'll drop him a line and let him know what I'm after.

Thank you! I'll drop him a line and let him know what I'm after.
Yeah it is slim pickings for us lefty's. I have a Ruger in 30-06 and a Savage 308. With no higher end offerings out there I bit the bullet and bought a DT SRS A1. They did discontinue the lefty model in the A2, so you might have to look for a used one if you go that route.

A tikka donor, rebarrel and manners stock should end up right around $2000, maybe a tad more if you get the barreled action cerakoted and/or threaded.

If I buy that action doesn't the bolt need to be caliber specific?
Yes somewhat the one I linked is a 30-06 bolt face so 280 Ai or 270 or similar. That same site has a magnum bolt face as well for $20 more.

I'm not a gunsmith so I don't know how to or have the tools and training to rebarrel a rifle and do all the action work. To have that done would most likely take me well over 3K probably closer to 4K easily.... I'm looking at 2K ceiling.

If I could piece one together in 7mm for 2K ish I would be interested.
Longriflesinc.com is a supporting vendor here and could get you out the door for around the 2k mark with a Remington action. I would suggest giving them a call. I personally do not shoot long action rifles so I do not know what stocks etc are available in your budget. If you can wait until next year I believe bighorn is going to release a long action Origin action. The Origin is similar to a 700 in footprint but has a ton of features above and beyond a 700 for about $450 more. The Origin might put you out of your price range though.

you can 'build' a custom rifle for your budget

origin/nucleus
krg bravo/stock of choice
prefit barrel of choice
trigger of choice

you can 'build' a custom rifle for your budget

origin/nucleus
krg bravo/stock of choice
prefit barrel of choice
trigger of choice
He wants a long action Magnum bolt face. 7mm rem mag I believe. I am trying to suggest a 280 AI if he is stuck on long action.

He wants a long action Magnum bolt face. 7mm rem mag I believe. I am trying to suggest a 280 AI if he is stuck on long action.
he only ever says 7mm though it is implied by the old hunter mentality of needing the biggest shit there is.

7mm-08. 7SAW. 7SAUM. all good hunting options. magnum option

i vote 7SS from an origin. you're looking at velocity to match 7 rem mag, in a smaller lighter package with a boatload more options down the road

Reactions: Backcountryguy
I would consider going a custom built if I were you, if you are careful about picking parts and your smith you can get it built in less then a week. But for smiths send it to DMR LLC in vegas, they were awesome to work with and had my custom build turned around in less then a week. Great guys to work with and produced a rifle that's insanely accurate.

10% of the population is left handed which translates to less in the shooting world. I feel your pain. Tooling wouldn’t cost much to do it it’s just the inventory end that makes it hard.

Actually over 30% of the population is left eye dominant, it’s just sales of lefty rifles are only 5-10% because so many people learn to use a right hand rifle decently and don’t know any better.

I am lefthanded but wouldn’t have a problem shooting righthand gun for hunting. Prs match would require lefthand gun easier to run bolt offhand or unsupported prone stage

he only ever says 7mm though it is implied by the old hunter mentality of needing the biggest shit there is.

7mm-08. 7SAW. 7SAUM. all good hunting options. magnum option

i vote 7SS from an origin. you're looking at velocity to match 7 rem mag, in a smaller lighter package with a boatload more options down the road

Those are all great cartridges however ammo availability and price factor in. I cannot have ammo shipped to my home here in CA anymore so I'd like a caliber that I can easily find ammo for at a reasonable price.

That aside, my dad shot a 7mm and recently passed. So there's a level of personal nostalgia to it as well that's worth the headache.

Actually over 30% of the population is left eye dominant, it’s just sales of lefty rifles are only 5-10% because so many people learn to use a right hand rifle decently and don’t know any better.

Yep this is me, left eye dominate right handed. Learned to shoot left-handed from the beginning and prefer it heavily now.

Yep this is me, left eye dominate right handed. Learned to shoot left-handed from the beginning and prefer it heavily now.

Same here. I found out I was left eye dominant around 12 years old. Switched to lefty and never looked back.

I still carry and draw my sidearm right handed though....

Same here. I found out I was left eye dominant around 12 years old. Switched to lefty and never looked back.

I still carry and draw my sidearm right handed though....

Did archery as a kid, suddenly got a lot better when my instructor realized this and handed me a left handed bow lol. I am in the same boat to, hunting rifle and bench guns are all righty. But after thinking about getting PRS the left handed bolt makes a world of difference.

And there are crap options for us leftys. Left hand stainless ctr. Import it already.

Good point. I’m left eye dominant ambidextrous. I can shoot either way but have always shot left handed right action because that’s how I leaned as a kid shooting iron sight 22’s. At this point a lefty action might feel weird even for me

Good point. I’m left eye dominant ambidextrous. I can shoot either way but have always shot left handed right action because that’s how I leaned as a kid shooting iron sight 22’s. At this point a lefty action might feel weird even for me

I was in the same boat, left eye dominant and shot left hand with a RH rifle forever. I bought a lefty 308 and within a month of having it I started offloading every right hand rifle I owned and built a bunch of lefties. Takes a tiny bit of practice but within a month or two you’ll be way ahead.

Reactions: adamjma
If no-one ever made a left handed rifle, 90% of the population would never notice.
I think the egg came before the chicken in this case.

OP, there was a clearance sale on Forbes rifles not long ago (can’t remember who was selling them off). They check your boxes and were incredibly cheap at the time (~800). This was over a year ago, but there was a thread on 24hr campfire in the lefty section, you can find what you need there.

I was in the same boat, left eye dominant and shot left hand with a RH rifle forever. I bought a lefty 308 and within a month of having it I started offloading every right hand rifle I owned and built a bunch of lefties. Takes a tiny bit of practice but within a month or two you’ll be way ahead.

lol my last impact i allllllmost ordered left handed for the same reasons....but i knew id prolly like it better and then have to sell and replace everything right handed in my safe and didnt want that hassle lol

I’ve heard that from a few guys, as I think lefty actions are getting somewhat more popular. It’s very tempting for my next rig for sure

I would think 10% of the population still equates to 10% of shooters, I can’t see why an equivalent population of left handed people wouldn’t be shooters. There’s a much higher population of leftys that there are trans people, they get so much attention while we don’t.

I just went with the Bergara HMR 6.5 for my new build. The options in the shooting world for leftys are better than they’ve ever been in the past. Gen 5 glocks are a game changer for me on fast reloads, Benelli and Mossberg make left hand eject shotguns, and the commercial grade rifle options seem better than ever.