• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lefty shooting right handed rifle.

caseyq

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
Louisiana
Anyone else left handed running a right handed rifle. Does anyone foresee this being an issue in prs competions.

Thanks

Casey

Anyone else left handed running a right handed rifle. Does anyone foresee this being an issue in prs competions.

Thanks

Casey
I'm an OLD lefty. When I started shooting they didn't make left handed rifles. When they finally did they just seemed way to foreign to me. Still do so I shoot right handed rifles.
Now side parallax on all scopes are on the wrong side for us lefties. We have to adapt, , that's what we do.
Will it be an issue in PRS matches? I don't know, hopefully some other lefties will chime in here.

I tried shooting a right handed rifle in the first national match I was in. It was horrible. With the exception of shooting prone, I had to break position every time I cycled the bolt. The right handed shooters running right handed rifles didn't have that issue. I switched to left handed rifles a long time ago and won't ever go back. But to each their own. There are a few lefties who shoot right handed rifles and compete at a high level in the PRS and NRL circuits.

I was going through same dilemma. In our matches we shoot positional stages. I was not good enough to run bolt on right side made the switch to all lefthand bolt guns. Harder to find actions and stock for us lefties. Good luck

There are always good options on the lefty sale page on here. Defiance, Surgeon, Stiller, and a few others all make custom lefty actions at the same price as a right handed one. Remington and Savage both have factory lefty rifles as well. It might take a little more time to find what you want, but it's not impossible to find something that fits you.

I'm a lefty and have shot plenty of right handed bolt guns. It can be done effectively, but I really do prefer a left handed bolt so I don't have to break position to cycle the bolt. If you shoot a long action, the bolt will hit your face if you don't break your cheek weld.

I am left handed ..left eye dominant and shoot right handed...its all i know.....i also play guitar right handed.....I have zero issues and would be likely a much worse shooter than i already am if i got behind a lefty gun....lol

Tons and tons of lefty options now

The question is....is it worth the switch? Are you having issues as is?

Maybe you could find something used to try, before spending for comp quality?

My wife likes lh ar's, and auto shotguns but shoots pistol, over/under and bolt guns
From either side, well ! And forgot the compound bows.
Freeks people at the range out when she swaps.
Everybody should have it that good. Lol

Saw a righty using a left handed action.

Actually looked preferable as he ran the bolt left handed and stayed on the gun.

Same concept as my comp fishing days, never took my hand off the rod.
Extra casts per day.

In auto loaders the problem is brass flying across your line of sight for follow up.

I was curious what you ever found out on a lefty running a right handed rig in PRS

I've always stuck with a left handed bolt action, but shoot all right handed semi action and shotguns left handed. Just something about the bolt manipulation in positional shooting that I couldn't compromise with a right handed bolt. That being said, my traditional left eye dominance has recently been impacted by a slight astigmatism and I now find myself favoring/transitioning to a dominant right eye. I did switch over from a left handed bow to a right handed bow as the low light periods through a peep at the end of legal shooting/hunting time was becoming a greater issue than I experience through a rifle optic. I'm still too stubborn to move to my right for shouldered fire weapons however...