• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica 1600 B?

huntermanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Wyoming
I am planning to buy a new rangefinder but I can't find much info out there on what i am looking for. I am leaning strongly toward a leica 1600 but I am wondering is it worth the extra money to get the 1600B? Is the ballistic info built in worth it? Any other differences that would factor into the decision?

lI will say after having and using both side by side, the Leica only gives angle corrected range to 875 yards. The Bushnell ARC gives ranges farther in daylight conditions. I am now moving to a Terrapin. If your goal is ranging pinpoint accuracy from 900 and in in good conditions then the Leica 1600B cannot be beat, plus having atmo data in case your Kestrel takes a shit then you are covered. If ranging large objects or the berm behind your target to 1300 yards with excellent accuracy then Bushnell ARC 1600 is your tool.

Honestly I ranged to 1656 with my Leica on a sunny day and 1890 with my Bushnell ARC's but do not count on that being the norm.

If it were my choice I would buy the B version for the angle and atmospheric data alone. The ballistic engine was worthless and I knew that going in. I run a ballistic computer and back up dope cards. I have back ups for my back ups.

Last edited:
matt2143 said:
If it were my choice I would buy the B version for the angle and atmospheric data alone. The ballistic engine was worthless and I knew that going in. I run a ballistic computer and back up dope cards. I have back ups for my back ups.
While the ballistics on the Leica B are based strictly on a choice of pre-configured bullet drops, I wouldn't call them worthless if that's all you've got as they're better than nothing. But even a cheap ballistics app based on BC, scope height, etc., will make the Leica bullet drop formula about as worthwhile as tits on a boar hog.
Skip

I have this unit and really use the atmospheric and angle data most.

Haven't used the ballistic data much as I've verified my dope cards and have complete density altitude set available for my serious long range rifles and loads.

The angle is the most valuable feature IMHO. And the ranging capability is just fine for my purposes.

The Terripin is a great unit. Just don't need it for most of my purposes. At least for now....

For the $ the 1600-B
Is in a class of its own.
If you can get the reg. 1600 cheaper , do so.
The balistic computer is the only differance.
I never use it. It's small package and fits in a pack well.
For the $ you can go wrong. I would look for a good deal on a reg. 1600

That's just my 2cents
Hope it helps

M