• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica 2000-B Geovid binos- dropping like flies...

PDXGS

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 31, 2009
Northwest Oregon
I shot the Steel Safari this weekend in New Mexico. It's a match that challenges shooters and their equipment like no other.
Coincidentally, I had just ordered a pair of 2000-B Geovid binos from Cabelas..... They're blowing them out for $2200.
Over the course of the three day match I saw three and heard of one other Geovid 2000-B die..... Dead... As in, no rangefinding.
I cancelled my order and will await updates from the shooters that had the issues to decide my next steps.
Hopefully the 2200 series is more robust.

Great .... As did for other owners before last Friday.
Look, don't get me wrong, I love them too... I was just surprised to see so many have issues simultaneously.
The Steel Safari is a tough match on both the shooters and their kit.

Great .... As did for other owners before last Friday.
The Steel Safari is a tough match on both the shooters and their kit.

Yep. Safari is hell on everything. It's why I no longer shoot a DTA.

When I see rangefinder reviews talking about hitting a barn at 2k yards and whatnot, I think "great, but I don't shoot barns". I have seen matches that beam dispersion will trick shooters into shooting 50-100 yards short of the target. I have learned my lessson.... I try to wait until the latest stuff survives the hard, dirty field matches before spending my cash.

The 2000's are discontinued by the manufacturer, and Cabelas buys up both the discontinued ones and the factory refurbished ones, so be careful on what you buy there. They also typically have less warranty than the factory new 2200's if they are refurbished or demo units.

I was RO'ing for one of the PRS Pro shooters at the Safari, and he said that his Leica rangefinder binos went down earlier this year and were getting repaired. He raved about the quality of the glass, but was back to Vectronix and Swaro for matches. He talked about some other guys he knew who had the same thing happen. Hopefully they get that sorted out, but it would make me nervous. Meanwhile, I'm super happy with my Steiner 8x30 LRF- they can take abuse and shake it off.

Yep. Safari is hell on everything. It's why I no longer shoot a DTA.

Sorry to go off topic for a second, but what happened with your DTA down there? Shot one last year and didn't have any issues with it, but just curious to know if there is something specific I need to be mindful of.

Sorry to go off topic for a second, but what happened with your DTA down there? Shot one last year and didn't have any issues with it, but just curious to know if there is something specific I need to be mindful of.

Across several Competition Dynamics events.....

1) grid/grime at blue steel keeping the bolt from closing.
2) bolt design letting things go 'click' instead of 'bang' mid way through a course of fire. Pushing the spring loaded bolt face in while shaking the bolt in the field can "fix" this, but risks getting videoed and thus part of steel safari failure videos.
3) Bushing around firing pin (yet another bolt from DTA) putting the firing pin in the dirt, bushing long gone....

Pretty much every problem I had centered around the bolt. Gen II is probably better, but my DTA was a cheating Bi$ch and was named 'Dont Take Anywhere' by my teammate. I no longer have it.

My DTA failed (could not operate the safety or trigger) at the ThunderBeast Team Challenge in 2014, which was also held at Logan, NM. I now shoot an AI. We also had PMAG lips break off, as well as some shooting sticks decided to crap out. That place is certainly rough on stuff.

To DT's credit, they did repair the rifle. Apparently a pin came loose and they just needed to tap it in and lock-tite it. Still frustrating when you can't finish the match due to equipment failure.

Interesting this topic deals with 2 pieces of equipment that I really wanted to work for me...the Leica 2200 I ordered new and the DT system (of which I owned 4 chassis, every gen, 8 barrels and 7 different bolts (repeatedly called DT regarding bolt issues, broken firing pins, failure to adequately punch primers and weather related functionality).

The 2200 I had did have great glass, but it could not match my Leica 1600 - not even close. It was pathetic, actually. I thought it would be great for hunting, since I already owned a fabulous PLRF15 and the new 1600, Held steady on my RRS tripod the 2200 could not range deer in my backyard @ 800 yards. I notified the dealer within an hour of receiving/testing it and had to return it as a "used" item and took a hit $$ on the Leica.

Subsequently I sold the 1600 as well, bought the Sig 2400 and ran it sided by side to my PLRF15 for a few months. The Sig has been outstanding out to 2K on everything. It easily ranged steel @ 1960 yards (PLRF15 showed 1957) and then again @ 1200 yards (PLRF showed 1199). The sig ranges deer/antelope/elk @ 1200 plus easily. I sold the PLRF15 and bought the new Swaro EL Range for hunting and could not be happier with the Sig and the Swaro.

On the DT, I had repeated bolt failures. Accurate as all get out, nice balance point - but unreliable for me. Oh, baby I tried, poured lots of $$ into different chassis/bolt/barrel combos. In 2013 I had a nice bull elk in my crosshairs and heard the awful "click" yet again, failure to punch the primer sufficiently. I hunt in the Rockies, so I know to run everything dry because of our extreme conditions, but this was a perfectly dry opening morning 40 degrees, I re-cocked the bolt on the DT and dropped the 2013 bull that now hangs on my wall.

I drew a great, rare late bull tag in 2015 and took the DT into the backcountry. Extreme weather, passed on 2 nice 330-340 bulls. Each day I had to completely disassemble the DT and wipe out the moisture from the snow blowing into that system. First light it would function fine after the being moisture free and in the scabbard of my horse of course. But I would be out in blizzards on foot, looking at bulls throughout the day. By evening the moisture from the daytime would freeze the trigger bullpup configuration. I simply could not keep it operational.

Unfortunately, on my last evening I had a beautiful 360 bull standing @ 200 yards and the system was frozen again. I simply could not physically pull the trigger. Being in cover and the bull in the open right in front of me, I put my jacket up against timber, disassembled the rifle in -10 degree weather, (moisture build up on the transfer bars frozen) put it back together and still could not make the thing go bang. I simply watched the big old bull walk off, unaware of my presence. Great hunt, but that one did it for me and I sold the all of my DT stuff and just use my AXMC or Blaser R8. They both function 100% regardless of conditions, period.

Absolutely done with Leica and DT. Still hunting for a 360 class bull.

Thanks everyone- that pretty well answers that question. Now I just have to deal with the sinking feeling in my belly regarding the reliability of the DT. I hunt with it in CO as well, and with as difficult as it can be to even find elk, it would be absolutely horrible to lose that opportunity when it comes around.

Now back to the Leicas.....

Dang same here regarding the DT. Man I love hunting with it cause it's so compact. Hope it doesn't cost me something good.
Not to derail the thread, because I also have been thinking about upgrading to geovids, but I guess maybe just go with a sig.

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

Detroit, which gen SRS did you have? No idea if it makes a difference. Just curious. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I know colboremiracle hunts with his in some pretty cold and snowy weather, I think in Utah.

The laser on Geovids is in the bridge and would be the first point to hit dirt/rock/brush when going prone. For this reason it is important to run them in a FHF, AGC, or Marsupial gear bino harness. You can just upclip the lower strap and swing the binos to the side when going prone.
I have 300+ days of field use on a pair of Geovid HD-B 2000 hunting in mostly AZ and with a trip through Colorado and Nebraska.
Lots of our guides use the same binos without issues. Many have over 1000 days of use now.
Just got a pair of 2200 and they are great if you archery hunt since they adjust angles below 100 yards and also range better past 1 mile.

I would not hesitate on new ones, but avoid refurbished ones. For Leica to send out a new pair and refurbish the ones sent in those ones had to have taken a serious beating.

I know this thread is a few months old but is there any new info on the Grovids that went down or a consensus on what bino/range finder combo will how up to steel safari type matches?

Is it better to separate binos from the range finder?

Jeremy

8x binos that can range to 1000 yards is all you need for Steel Safari. Field of view is paramount for finding targets I did it for 3 years with Bushnell's. This year I used Rudolph Optics Bino/LRF and they work great for the money. Rudolph's have good glass and a very fast laser. Leica's are fantastic, but spendy, but if you go the money get them. Steiner's would be good, as they keep everything in focus, have a very fast laser and scan-mode. Finding targets and managing the clock at the Safari is super important.

Detroit, which gen SRS did you have? No idea if it makes a difference. Just curious. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I know colboremiracle hunts with his in some pretty cold and snowy weather, I think in Utah.

My first DT was a Gen1, all the others were the latest Gens available SRS A1’s multiple Barrels bolts etc. I have no doubt that others have been completely satisfied with the DT platform.

My Blaser is a fabulous mountain rifle, it does not have a folding stock and or a pic rail, but it is every bit as accurate as my DT and my AXMC. I have hunted both the Blaser and AXMC in extreme conditions without fail.

Still looking for the 360 Bull, but very happy with this years bull, I am a sucker for the 4/5/6 tines on elk. 571 yards, Blaser 300 win 190 smk sig 2400 NF 2.5-10 Mil-R. One shot, in his evening bed broadside top of right lung, lower left lung top of the heart and broke the offside shoulder.

Attachments

• photo74700.jpg
    photo74700.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 45
  • photo74893.jpg
    photo74893.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 34