• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

leica crf 1000 or???

turret

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2012
vt
i've been researching range finders of late, and have narrowed it down to a couple options. i can get the leica crf 1000 for ~$400. the vortex ranger for $360. i'd rather not drop the $800 for the 1600b, and i've heard mixed reviews of the ballistics tables anyway. for hunting this would be used for shots not exceeding 300 yards. and i recently found access to a 1000 yard range that i'll likely use maybe 4 times a year. will the leica crf 1000 range reliably out to 1k on a target range? most of what i've found leads me to believe that angle compensation isn't necessary since the vast majority of my hunting shots will be under 300yds. i want to get something that i won't regret and won't be looking to upgrade immediately, but don't want to dump money on something that is over kill for my needs either.

iwill the leica crf 1000 range reliably out to 1k on a target range?

I have the 1600B and *IT* won't reliably range small or non-reflective targets to 1000. And it's about the best of the under $1000 LRF's. Really good to 850, most of the time at 900 ish, then dicey after that. If you need to range a barn or a tree, that's a different story. I've ranged big and highly reflective targets out to 1900 yds. But if you really need to know how far away that plate is.... buy a Terrapin.

The 1000 should easily range deer/elk/mastodons to 300 though. Probably a little further on the mastodon.;)

John

a terrapin would be great, and if i had better access to the 1k range or shot matches, i would pony up and get one. however, it's complete overkill for my uses. i want something to mainly range game whitetail deer out to 5-600, and be able to range larger objects at 1k reliably. i don't think i need any angle compensation so i'm trying to decide which makes more sense...the leica crf1000 (perhaps more accurate/reliable), or the vortex ranger(newer model/great warranty).

Last edited:
I have the crf1200 and it will range deer @ 500 with no problems IF I hold it steady, that is the trick with the crfs as they are real small.

Then maybe you should try the Bushnell G-Force 1300 ARC it has A Ballistics provided for a total of 1865 types of Bullets and I have Ranged Sheep at 851yds and Trees from 1194 to 1196/7yds in very bad lighting conditions its light and all metel construction, water proof it will give you the readouts in MOA, MILS, CMs, and INCHES along with the true Distance or the Angle Corrected Distance, I too would love to get the Terrapin but it only gives you the line of sight distance where as if money was not an issue the G7 BR2 would be better if you require all that other info, Other than that most other brands involve bragging rights of A high price Tag and Excellent Name,

Many of the Models mentioned by Others have always performed well so think hard because there are some wise people here.

John

Last edited:
I have the crf 1200 and have no complaints. As 308Gunner mentioned there is a trade off to its smaller size. It must be held steady for ranging at longer distances. For deer sized game out to 500-600 yards it works well assuming it can be held steady. I like it a lot for its size and accuracy relative to my needs...but when hunting in Texas out of a blind there is always something to rest against. In open country it is more difficult to hold steady but plenty accurate for most realistic hunting shot distances.

I have a BUSHNELL ARC 1300 coming this week and will take out to our hunting lease this weekend to do some testing.

Will report back

Great Stuff, looking forward to your report, good luck and have fun

John

after trying them both for a weekend, i decided to keep the leica. they both worked well out beyond 1000yds on hard targets. the leica's optics and reticle mae it much more user friendly. no clutter, and noticeably brighter and sharper. i also wasn't that interested in the vortex's angle comp feature, nor the pocket clip. for me and this is likely subjective, the vortex's eye relief and shorter eyecup allowed glare to enter, which did not happen with the leica. the leica only needed two presses of the button to get a reading as opposed to three for the vortex and the leica's speed in presenting a reading was better. this wasn't that much of an issue, but combined with everything else, it added more points for leica. overall, i'm very pleased with my choice and feel it will do everything i need it to for hunting and general target use.