• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leica geovid 3200 experiences?

bllistc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
Anyone own or used one? I’m interested in it but haven’t looked through one. Currently using swaro SLC 10x42 and I love it but I’ve been meaning to get a rangefinder as well. If the optical quality is on par with the Swaros I would sell those and pick up the Leica. Thoughts?

Other options I’m also looking at are to keep the swaro and get a Leica 2800 or range master 3500. Or the new vortex fury Binos with AB.

I have a pair of Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B Edition 40073 and love them, the glass is clearer than my eyes. Seriously, the glass in these binoculars is better than anything I ever looked through, scopes or binoculars or spotting scopes ... and I owned everything from Leupold, to March, to IOR, to S&B, to Hensoldt and of course my beloved Kahles k525i. They measure pretty reliably out to 2000 yds, so the 3200 version you are chasing should be reliable out to 3000 yds. I used them in a late season elk hunt and found myself scanning with these and only rarely setting up my swaro spotter. I wouldn't be scared to get a pair of those, especially with the black friday deals possibly coming up now, worth every damn cent.
My 0.02.

I own a geovid 3200. Overall I am pleased with it. Furthest range I’ve gotten was on a hillside at 3500 yards. The glass is excellent, but I haven’t had a pair of swaros in my hand to compare it to. I’ve since learned that all the LRF binos from the best 3 companies have seriously degraded glass quality compared to their dedicated binoculars. I’m kind of tempered to get the NLs and a Leica 3500(or whatever one they’re on now) to see how I like the glass quality. It’s so handy to have the laser in the binos for matches and hunting here in the west so I’ll keep the 3200s for matches at least.
I do have 2 complaints. The Bluetooth connection with my kestrel (4dof) sucks. It drops all the time or won’t connect. It is a real hassle and pretty much not worth having because it is so unreliable. It is more frustrating and a hassle than it’s worth during comps. I need to check with Leica and see if there is a firmware update. I also want to get a kestrel 5700x which had an adjustable Bluetooth strength and see if that helps which I read that it did. Also it uses batteries fast which isn’t a big deal, but it has been an inconvenience how fast it goes through them. I would steer you toward the Zeiss lrf bino or Swaro/3500 combo.

Reactions: Hillpuller
I have the 8x56 3200s' and I've surely no regrets. I compared them to other Leicas', all three Swaros', Ziess', and another which I don't remember. All same time and place; for my eyes these were the clearest and brightest of all. For my eyes. They connect instantly when I turn on the Kestrel (5700, original version), but once in a while if I'm turning or blocking the straight path between they'll break off. However, they do pop back on when that blockage is absent, usually right away. I seldom use either of my spotters anymore; between the Leicas' and the Premier 5-25 x 56 atop the rifle it's enough. For me. Someone sent me a "cheat sheet" for connecting and I still have it as far as I know. If anyone wants it I will attach it in an email. That gem proved so "on" that I don't remember ever having any trouble at all making that initial all-important connect.

Attachments

• Leica & Badlands BinoX1.JPG
    Leica & Badlands BinoX1.JPG
    439.2 KB · Views: 51
I have the 8x56 3200s' and I've surely no regrets. I compared them to other Leicas', all three Swaros', Ziess', and another which I don't remember. All same time and place; for my eyes these were the clearest and brightest of all. For my eyes. They connect instantly when I turn on the Kestrel (5700, original version), but once in a while if I'm turning or blocking the straight path between they'll break off. However, they do pop back on when that blockage is absent, usually right away. I seldom use either of my spotters anymore; between the Leicas' and the Premier 5-25 x 56 atop the rifle it's enough. For me. Someone sent me a "cheat sheet" for connecting and I still have it as far as I know. If anyone wants it I will attach it in an email. That gem proved so "on" that I don't remember ever having any trouble at all making that initial all-important connect.
I’ll message you my email

I just received a pair and used them pretty hard in tough conditions at Blue Steel Ranch last weekend.

Likes: glass quality is amazing. No decline in quality between these and my Geovids. Ranging is ridiculously fast. Faster than my old Geovids. The ballistic data comes up in the ocular quickly too (I have no idea if it's correct; I use the data from my Kestrel). The internal compass that sends the degree of fire to the kestrel to automatically calculate the wind vector taken from the wind reading on the kestrel is awesome.

Dislikes: you have to keep the kestrel really close to stay connected. The connection seems to come back without too much trouble, but it can take some time, which is problematic if you are ranging and transmitting data on the clock a la Steel Safari or NRL Hunter series matches. I'm sure I could make sure it's connected prior to the stage start, but again, this was my first experience with them. I also had issues with them shutting off after ranging twice near the end of the weekend. I'm planning on swapping the battery tonight to see if that is the cause. Weather conditions last weekend were from 16-70 deg F, and winds were 25-35mph with gusts up to 50mph. Lots of blowing dust. I don't know if that affected anything, but they were subjected to some pretty harsh envirionmentals for their maiden voyage.

Overall, I'm happy with them outside of the issues. Hopefully it's just a battery issue or user error. If they work as advertised, they will be perfect for what I need them to do.