• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leica PRS 5-30×56 with PRB Reticle

In absolute terms, I think ZCO is a better scope. How they compare in terms of value for the money is hard to say.
In the time it was here, the Leica really grew on my, other than the reticle. The more I used the scope the less I liked the reticle. I sent it back to Leica, but I will re-visit a model with the Ballistic reticle in a month or two.

Optically, the scope was very good and while it will not make me sell my Tangents, it is going to compete well with pretty much everything this side of TT, ZCO, Minox and S&B. For $2700, I think it is very good and the fairly compact overall size is also a good thing.

The one I had tracked well. I'll check tracking again on the other one I will be looking at and I'll keep tabs on how these do as more of them get out.

I think Leica needs a more conventional tree reticle in addition to the Ballistic reticle. Maybe, I'll sketch one out for them if they are open to suggestions. It will be very interesting to see how the PRS reticle does for them. I despise it, but I also despise Horus designs and they do well, so I could simply be wrong about this one.

ILya
Ilya (and any others that have had the chance to compare these in use)
Please confirm for me how you believe this Leica compares (optically and overall) to the Kahles with the SKMR3
-- both between the older 6-24 which is now on sale at the same price 3k>2700
as well as the current 5-25 that is 3300?
Thank you

Last edited:
Please confirm for me how you believe this Leica compares (optically and overall) to the Kahles with the SKMR3
-- both between the older 6-24 which is now on sale at the same price 3k>2700
as well as the current 5-25 that is 3300?
Thank you
Please do not pay those prices for the Kahles scopes, shop around with the Hide vendors and you can get them much cheaper. Or buy used here in the classifieds and you can find K624i's in the $2k range and K525i's for not much more. Didn't mean to derail the post but wanted to provide some insight.

Please do not pay those prices for the Kahles scopes, shop around with the Hide vendors and you can get them much cheaper. Or buy used here in the classifieds and you can find K624i's in the $2k range and K525i's for not much more. Didn't mean to derail the post but wanted to provide some insight.
Thanks for the suggestion. Certainly not a derail, but strong advisement to a starting shooter (at least in this discipline).
Good advice is always welcome. One never regrets buying quality, especially if you can get it at a great price.
This type of shooting has always appealed; I wish I would've known of the development of the PRS and NRL sooner.
If they won't be that much apart in price, then it would make sense to go with the 525; unless you know of any reason otherwise. I've been a long-time fan of Swarovski and it was through reading up on LR shooting that I learned that Kahles is their tactical sister, or brother...
Then I happened to catch an announcement of the Leica at PRBlog and that added to the re-consideration.
Am guessing that I would be served extremely well by either and that it's just more important to get one and get shooting.
Gathering intel until the money is spent though... Thanks again.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Welp, I got a PRB model and just shot June NRL22 and liked it.
The tree disappears to me and the center circle is more fine than I thought it would appear. The .2 stadia are great for me.
Will update post after July COF as I get used to it.
But so far, it's great for what I do.
Negatives:
The eyebox is smaller than the razor I'm used to, but similar to my AMG. The parallax requires close attention for crisp focus at high mag between 20-50yds, and rotates the opposite direction I'm used to, which is a mind fuck, but not a scope problem. It might find it's way to a centerfire rifle of mine.
And the center circle does not illuminate and washes out @ 10x, but it's teaching me to shoot higher mag, which has been a goal of mine. I used to jump in at 10x and dial up if needed, but this scope has me jumping in at 12-15x, no big deal, but has forced my focus into dropping into a better NPA.
The negatives are really my own physical and ocular weaknesses!
Positive: The center circle is much smaller than I thought it would appear, a 30x pic below. The turrets are simple to use and the tooless function is the primary reason I bought it--if you change ammo a lot, these tooless turrets are fast and easy to rezero. All scopes should do this! Glass is clear, crisp, with no CA to me, I can see more mirage and swirling than I could before. The mag ring and small lever spin smooth and easy, which I like. Turrets are crisp and don't overtravel by feel. I feel the positives outweigh my gripes, and I had fun shooting with this scope.
The only mechanical worry I have is jamming the rising rev indicator because I suspect that would damage the elevation internals, but I'm speculating.
Anyway, time will tell, but I had to try it for myself, and glad I did.
Thanks to Cameraland for the good deal too!!
MVIMG_20200623_133330.jpg

I’m seriously debating on trying one of these out, but I’m torn between the Leica and a 5-25 ATACR. I can get them for the same price. I don’t mind the Leica reticle on paper, but am concerned with their warranty if something does go wrong. I heard they were getting better, but have no experience with them. Is the glass on the Leica significantly better than the Nightforce? I know the NF is tried and true, but I also like to try new things. Thoughts?

I’m seriously debating on trying one of these out, but I’m torn between the Leica and a 5-25 ATACR. I can get them for the same price. I don’t mind the Leica reticle on paper, but am concerned with their warranty if something does go wrong. I heard they were getting better, but have no experience with them. Is the glass on the Leica significantly better than the Nightforce? I know the NF is tried and true, but I also like to try new things. Thoughts?
I have personally had to deal with Leica support and can say that it all depends on the person you get. I had a person at Leica who was completely unhelpful, rude and made me never want to buy Leica again. Cameraland did their best to assist me as they always do. The situation didn't get properly resolved until I got a hold of a different person in customer service who was incredibly helpful and made everything right and even went above and beyond.
I have always favored Leica as all of my companies survey equipment is Leica. It is bulletproof and they have the most innovative features. I know it is 2 separate entities of the same company, but I have generally found Leica equipment to be incredibly robust and the customer service can be good as long as you have the right connections. Buy from Cameraland and I'm sure you will get the warranty you need.

Reactions: tydex21
I have personally had to deal with Leica support and can say that it all depends on the person you get. I had a person at Leica who was completely unhelpful, rude and made me never want to buy Leica again. Cameraland did their best to assist me as they always do. The situation didn't get properly resolved until I got a hold of a different person in customer service who was incredibly helpful and made everything right and even went above and beyond.
I have always favored Leica as all of my companies survey equipment is Leica. It is bulletproof and they have the most innovative features. I know it is 2 separate entities of the same company, but I have generally found Leica equipment to be incredibly robust and the customer service can be good as long as you have the right connections. Buy from Cameraland and I'm sure you will get the warranty you need.
Thanks so much for the input! Cameraland was my intended vendor for the Leica for sure.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
The numbers next to the verticle hair make this a non-starter for me. And I'm sorry, but am I doing algebra with all these different symbols on the tree?

I love me my Leica cameras, though. They actually focus... fast. Unlike my Sony... lawwwwd.

The numbers next to the verticle hair make this a non-starter for me. And I'm sorry, but am I doing algebra with all these different symbols on the tree?

I love me my Leica cameras, though. They actually focus... fast. Unlike my Sony... lawwwwd.

For quick holdovers, I wish more people would put the #'s on the vertical hair. I'm noticing that I'm slower on hold overs now having to trace over to the tree to see the # and make sure I'm lining things up right.

a little offtopic: it is not only about "nationality" factor, but people´s mind and work habit. If the exact one scope will be made in Japan, Germany / Austria or US, I have no problem to buy it, while being made in ******* (you can fill some countries from Eastern Europe or Asia for example), I would not ever buy them. Why? Because I know they do not do the work in the same quality and precision as western countries mentioned above. One example: HK MP5 and G3 made by Heckler Koch in DE vs. the same guns (made on the same tooling machines - loaned by HK) made by MKE or POF, do you think will give you the same quality? Hell no. Just my POV.

You do know? How, can I ask?

Figured I’d share my 2 cents here as well.
I’ve been running the Leica PRS w/ PRB reticle for NRL & PRS type competition since May of this year. Very pleased overall. Tracks perfect. Glass quality is absolutely superb. Great turrets. I can’t even describe how much I love the tool free turret adjustment...so easy & so fast. Thus far, definitely among my best decisions as far as $$$ well spent/invested. I was a little bit hesitant just due to the reticle, but I’ve actually grown to love the floating open circle in the reticle.
Could Leica make some improvements to the optic for the next generation? Sure, absolutely. I was actually really impressed with the time the Leica reps spent with me on the phone going over my feedback on the scope after I’d had it for a month or so. They really seemed to value the feedback, and some of the things I suggested they are already working on.
-I’d like to see the vertical stadia above the main crosshairs extended a bit...maybe 3-4 mils rather than just 1.
-They need to adjust the position of the throw lever on the magnification ring so that I don’t need to remove it when running on 30x (this was probably my biggest criticism of the optic...it hits my bolt knob). They acknowledged that this is going to be addressed in the future. Not a huge deal though as I never go over 20x in competition. And it’s easy to thread on & off.
-wouldn’t mind if the reticle was just a tad heavier/thicker...maybe 25-35% or so. It can seem a bit too fine when under 12x.
-I’d like to see a few more distance references on the parallax adjustment.

Overall, absolutely awesome scope!!! Punches way above its weight class for the $$$. It easily goes toe-to-toe with the 7-35 ATACR (also a great scope) but for about $700-$800 less.

Figured I’d share my 2 cents here as well.
I’ve been running the Leica PRS w/ PRB reticle for NRL & PRS type competition since May of this year. Very pleased overall. Tracks perfect. Glass quality is absolutely superb. Great turrets. I can’t even describe how much I love the tool free turret adjustment...so easy & so fast. Thus far, definitely among my best decisions as far as $$$ well spent/invested. I was a little bit hesitant just due to the reticle, but I’ve actually grown to love the floating open circle in the reticle.
Could Leica make some improvements to the optic for the next generation? Sure, absolutely. I was actually really impressed with the time the Leica reps spent with me on the phone going over my feedback on the scope after I’d had it for a month or so. They really seemed to value the feedback, and some of the things I suggested they are already working on.
-I’d like to see the vertical stadia above the main crosshairs extended a bit...maybe 3-4 mils rather than just 1.
-They need to adjust the position of the throw lever on the magnification ring so that I don’t need to remove it when running on 30x (this was probably my biggest criticism of the optic...it hits my bolt knob). They acknowledged that this is going to be addressed in the future. Not a huge deal though as I never go over 20x in competition. And it’s easy to thread on & off.
-wouldn’t mind if the reticle was just a tad heavier/thicker...maybe 25-35% or so. It can seem a bit too fine when under 12x.
-I’d like to see a few more distance references on the parallax adjustment.

Overall, absolutely awesome scope!!! Punches way above its weight class for the $$$. It easily goes toe-to-toe with the 7-35 ATACR (also a great scope) but for about $700-$800 less.

I think the glass punches above its weight class too! I put it on my rifle and compared it to the ATACR and Razor and I was like wow, this thing is sharp and crisp, pick up all the detail through the mirage.

I agree on your feedback and I'm happy that you left it! I might have to pick up the revised one when it comes out :)

I generally need to run the scope at around 15-16x for me to feel comfortable and fast using the reticle lines. They're too fine for me less than 15x. In comparison my Razor AMG I use at 10x no problem.

I'd also like the main cross hairs to about 3mils. That's the most I've ever held under... even 2 mils probably would cover 99% of the situations.

Parallax knob is annoying.. I have to memorize ish the general locations of the yardages. It's also a little stiff compared to my other scopes. The parallax is very forgiving though, feels like a huge DoF in the Leica.

Thanks for talking with them!

Update to echo the parallax knob issue as why I don't drive it during competition. Needs more low end distance markings and less resistance. Awesome otherwise...

I just recently sent in my HDB-3200’s after I broke them(totally my fault). I paid for shipping to send them in and that was it. I don’t know if they replaced them or totally reconditioned and repaired mine, because they looked brand new when I got them back! They emailed me status updates throughout the entire process. That being said, I just got a PRS!

I just recently sent in my HDB-3200’s after I broke them(totally my fault). I paid for shipping to send them in and that was it. I don’t know if they replaced them or totally reconditioned and repaired mine, because they looked brand new when I got them back! They emailed me status updates throughout the entire process. That being said, I just got a PRS!
If you have a record of the S/Ns of the originals, you can just compare them to those that you received back.

If you have a record of the S/Ns of the originals, you can just compare them to those that you received back.
Good point! I never even checked. I might now though. Either way, Leica had my product back in my hands in under a month, with no questions asked. I wouldn’t hesitate to spend money with them in fear of warranty issues.

Reactions: tydex21 and lash
I have one with the L- Ballistic reticle for a hunting rifle. I went with that due to less clutter. I love this scope so much I’m about to order another one for a PRS/NRL rifle but really thinking about the PRB reticle. I have a lot of experience with the Horus reticles, not my favorite but used them plenty. With that being said is the PRB reticle to “busy” in the field? Would you use it on a hunting rifle?

I have one with the L- Ballistic reticle for a hunting rifle. I went with that due to less clutter. I love this scope so much I’m about to order another one for a PRS/NRL rifle but really thinking about the PRB reticle. I have a lot of experience with the Horus reticles, not my favorite but used them plenty. With that being said is the PRB reticle to “busy” in the field? Would you use it on a hunting rifle?
I would have no hesitations to use it on a hunting rifle. While I don’t think the PRB reticle is “perfect”, I do think Leica implemented it with the plan that the reticle would not be so cluttered as to diminish a shooters perception of the glass quality, and to that extent...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. The main crosshair only extends 1.0 mil above the horizontal axis, so you have essentially 50% of your view that is almost entirely clear. The other windage/“Christmas tree” references are anything but overwhelming, in fact if anything I wouldn’t mind them being a bit bolder. I think the Horus & Tremor type reticle have way too much going on with them. Way too busy even for competitive shooters IMHO, let alone hunting,...tons of unnecessary stuff that never even gets used. This is not the case with the PRB.

I’ve got a new PRB with Spuhr for sale for a screaming deal in the PX.

Thinking hard of grabbing one of these for a gas gun. Mil price is around $1850 will PRB reticle.

Would you take this over a AMG or Used ZP5?

Thinking hard of grabbing one of these for a gas gun. Mil price is around $1850 will PRB reticle.

Nah man, trade toward ZCO only. Up not down or across ;). Thanks though! Shipping, taxes, and mount will still bring you to pretty damn close to what I posted, especially after I have to ship it as well. Plus, there’s no wait!

Nah man, trade toward ZCO only. Up not down or across ;). Thanks though! Shipping, taxes, and mount will still bring you to pretty damn close to what I posted, especially after I have to ship it as well. Plus, there’s no wait!
Just reread your post! Are you asking if I prefer this? I def prefer it over my amg and I’vesqc never compared it to a ZP5 but I think this would be better.

ETA: I’ve not compared directly to ZP5 but have looked through and shot them. ZP5 has great glass but so does the Leica. The Leica has fantastic controls, no CA, and I prefer the PRB.

Last edited:

I haven’t played with the ZP5 much, but hands down I prefer the Leica PRS over the AMG...no doubt there.

Reactions: tydex21
Got an update from Tenebraex on the scope caps they they offer for the Leica PRS 5-30x56i

Sorry for the delay. We just received an optic sample. We have done our fitment, and now will be manufacturing a fit for the optic. We will have product available towards the end of September. Product numbers for future reference.
Ocular: UAC002-FCR, adapter frame ring and flip cover, Black (currently available)
Objective: 56FCR-019BK1, adapter ring and flip cover (ARD compatible), Black, expected middle to the end of September
56ARD-019BK1, Anti-Reflection Device, Black, , expected middle to the end of September
Any word on this yet? The objective cover is still not listed

hallo

i'm interested in paralax setting on leica; how easy is to adjust it for longer distances?

besause similar delta optical stryker 4.5-30x56 upgrade this detail in new generation a lot:

but i dont know how forgiving is leica's paralax; if it's like older generations of stryker than it's not good.

sincerely

hallo

i'm interested in paralax setting on leica; how easy is to adjust it for longer distances?

besause similar delta optical stryker 4.5-30x56 upgrade this detail in new generation a lot:

but i dont know how forgiving is leica's paralax; if it's like older generations of stryker than it's not good.

sincerely

Parallax isn't marked on the Leica except for at 100. It's got a good amount of travel so it's not like the gen1 Stryker.

hallo

sincerely

I have found that the parallax is a bit finicky out to about 200 yards, and gets better at longer ranges. I wouldn’t say it’s bad by any means, but it does take some getting used to. The parallax control knob is more stiff than other scopes. I didn’t like that initially, but I have become very fond of it. Overall I am really impressed with the scope, especially at it’s price.

I agree with the parallax being a little stiff. I ended up 3D printing a lever. This is my favorite scope now. Although I will admit I'm just starting to use it.

Reactions: rancher5
I was thinking about printing a reference label to stick on the parallax knob, can't be bothered to do all that focus-headtilt stuff to find the correct parallax every time.
It's a feature that I personally think makes all the rest useless.
What's the point of having all that quality if you can't be sure the parallax is on point?
I don't understand, if it's precision shooting why leave an empirical setting?
It's like making up a sport team with half world champion players and random guys recruited on the street for the other half...

Reactions: littlepod
Has anyone compared the Leica to the other high end scopes, S&B, ACTAR, etc?

Yes. For me it was marginally better than a razor G2 and more even with the Mk5.
It does not compare in my opinion to the
“ lower end” tier one glass like ATACR. Or the old school S&B.
It’s definitely not ZCO or Tangent.
oh I can’t wait for the replies to that comment….🤣
I use ATACRs btw

I was very excited to get the Leica as I love the glass in the binos that I have. Unfortunately, I am fairly disappointed. Don't mind the reticle but the glass not in the same ballpark as NF 7-35, and even further away from ZP5, ZCO and TT. Also underwhelmed with parallax adjustment.

Just an anecdotal story at best but I compared the Leica side by side with a new PM2 and it held its own very well optically. Resolution on targets at about 1500 yardd

Reactions: Hegre
I was very excited to get the Leica as I love the glass in the binos that I have. Unfortunately, I am fairly disappointed. Don't mind the reticle but the glass not in the same ballpark as NF 7-35, and even further away from ZP5, ZCO and TT. Also underwhelmed with parallax adjustment.

Interesting that I came away with almost the exact opposite impression…. I hope it isn’t a sign of variation from one unit to another. I’ve got TT, ZCO, S&B, and even Hensoldt to compare against but I’ve never looked thru the ATACR.

I found the Leica very well rounded and will most likely purchase another at some point. All the Alpha tier scopes had something better than the Leica but I felt as an overall package it is VERY good. Optically it didn’t seem outclassed but glass can be subjective. If it cost $4k I would pass but for the $$$ it’s a great piece of kit.

ETA: The reticle options are one of my least favorite parts of the Leica

i see a lot on the glass but not a lot on the tracking, return to zero, shifts, etc. anyone with some real world testing of this?

Yeah... like is it nice or terrible to use a open circle in PRS as your center target point?

i see a lot on the glass but not a lot on the tracking, return to zero, shifts, etc. anyone with some real world testing of this?

that's a sign of what are ppl looking for...:rolleyes: dont know shit about shooting with riflescope and tracking, but glass must be nice... maybe ppl are only observing targets, not realy shooting at it :ROFLMAO:

but yes, probably in this scope is NOT the glass from magnus series of riflescopes...

I dont have leica prs, but for my fast aiming at fixed 12× power in our NRL22, open center probably is not a big deal, because I wouldnt see it, and I shoot by the reticle - i don't dial.
but if you shoot at such high power to see open center in PRS/NRL and it bothers you, you are doing it wrong...

that's a sign of what are ppl looking for...:rolleyes: dont know shit about shooting with riflescope and tracking, but glass must be nice... maybe ppl are only observing targets, not realy shooting at it :ROFLMAO:

but yes, probably in this scope is NOT the glass from magnus series of riflescopes...

I dont have leica prs, but for my fast aiming at fixed 12× power in our NRL22, open center probably is not a big deal, because I wouldnt see it, and I shoot by the reticle - i don't dial.
but if you shoot at such high power to see open center in PRS/NRL and it bothers you, you are doing it wrong...

The glass in the PRS is very good. The turrets are also very good and tracking is excellent. Tool less zero is well done and simplistic. IMO the reticle options are the issue, but it depends on personal choice.

As I stated earlier, there is better glass out there, there are better turrets, and better reticles…. However you won’t get the quality in another scope for the price of the Leica.

I know this thread is old but I would like to know if anybody has mounted this scope on a piston 308 battle rifle like an FN SCAR NRCH? Leica is telling me the scope is not designed for gas operated rifles. Bolt action only. No warranty if mounted on a SCAR.

I know this thread is old but I would like to know if anybody has mounted this scope on a piston 308 battle rifle like an FN SCAR NRCH? Leica is telling me the scope is not designed for gas operated rifles. Bolt action only. No warranty if mounted on a SCAR.
If you mount any optic on a scar, good chance the warranty will be tested. Those things eat optics for breakfast.

You’re better off with an optic like Steiner which are built like tanks.

Reactions: ptalar
You’re better off with an optic like Steiner which are built like tanks.
I guess I will have to sell off the Leica and buy a more robust scope. It didn't occur to me that scopes at this level are not made robustly. Thx