• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica Rangefinder

Lochem158

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2010
NJ, USA
I was thinking about buying a Leica LRF 1200 or 900 want to see what you guys thought of them? I am also looking at one of the new models....1600 or 1000

Re: Leica Rangefinder

At the time - 6 years ago - I paid £80 or $130 which for the UK was reasonable. I'm not sure how the new version performs but Leice is cracking kit.

I have a LRF 1200 I nabbed from eBay. It's a great deal. I am happy with it. Sure a CRF would be nicer (more compact) but the LRF does what I need for .308 ranges.

If I was rocking a .50BMG I would need a little more power.

Get the 1600 if you are gonna get one.

I have the 1200 and it will range a billboard farther than 1200 (like 1300 IIRC) but has a hard time under field conditions ranging trees reliably past about 800. It iwll get large targets at the longer ranges and sometimes hillsides too, but it is weather dependent. sunny days make it hard to get stuff.

my thought is that the 1600 should have a better time getting the stuff between 800 and 1200 thna the crf1200 does.

I had to send mine back to Leica for work, it was not ranging past 400. they replaced it without drama.

IIRC the 1200 is no longer made in favor of the 1600 now.

i have the 1200 that gets year round work. When it's not bouncing photons off of deer/elk it's ranging prairie dogs, crows, targets, etc.

I really like it and have no need for ranging anything beyond 800 (or 500 really) as I don't target shoot at long range, doesn't matter to me if it can't reach out farther than 1200.

The newer 1000 and 1600 have an internal inclinometer which might be nice if you're hitting metal way out there.

Good choice! I wouldn't pay more than $400 for a used one, otherwise a newer one makes way more sense.

I have the older leica 1200. I actually like it better than the crf because I can use two hands like a pair of binos for added stability.

just a personal preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lochem158</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1200 will range to 1400?</div></div>

When conditions are clear, yes, I have ranged right at 1400 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the older leica 1200. I actually like it better than the crf because I can use two hands like a pair of binos for added stability.

just a personal preference.</div></div>

Same here...got mine off ebay too for I think it was $380 shiped. I like the older style too, its a lot easier to hold steady to me.

there is a Leica 1200 LRF for sale in the Optics For Sale thread
wink.gif