• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica Rangemaster CRF 3500.COM

I didn't think the connection issues would bother me based on my usage....but it ended being pretty annoying. Ended up returning it and going to give the 3000bdx a try.
my 3000bdx will b here tomorrow, looking forward to trying it out

Reactions: pazzo
my 3000bdx will b here tomorrow, looking forward to trying it out

Let us know whether or not you experience any issues similar to the other two here. I’m on the fence about grabbing one ?

Can you describe your connection issues? I am still not having any issues with connection as long as I am not more than 6 feet away from kestrel, but even then it connects right back up.

Sorry, that is the issue. If it is more than 6 ft or shielded at all by my body, then I have to wait for it to reconnect.

I want to have the kestrel on a tripod with a wind vane and having it no more than 6ft was really limiting. The ranging was incredible though!

So if I am reading the specs right it looks like the new 3500.com has a similar beam divergence to the Terrapin X? Though its slightly taller but maybe it has more power to make up for that? It looks like the 2800.Com has the same beam specs but maybe less power? Can anyone confirm?

I was able to give the 3000bdx a whirl last night and tested connectivity. Faster and much more resilient. Tested from 10-15 ft away without a problem. (just testing in the back yard) Will give it a test at the range on the weekend and report back.

Also, going from a rangefinder to binos was a nice enhancement. My use case doesn't need it to be compact. I was able to steady it on the longer distances easier.

Reactions: 4066.5
I was able to give the 3000bdx a whirl last night and tested connectivity. Faster and much more resilient. Tested from 10-15 ft away without a problem. (just testing in the back yard) Will give it a test at the range on the weekend and report back.

Also, going from a rangefinder to binos was a nice enhancement. My use case doesn't need it to be compact. I was able to steady it on the longer distances easier.
I'm on my way over to Cabela's tonight to take a look through a 3000bdx. How are you liking them over the 3500.com .. looks like we both ended up returning ours

Really like the flexibity of the binos. I can see using them to also quickly spot the 100 yd target where I never used my 3500 or Sig2400 to do that. I'll stretch the legs on the long range targets on Saturday and report back.

Why would the 2400ABS cost more than the 3000BDX?

Why would the 2400ABS cost more than the 3000BDX?
Spitballing from memory here but I believe

ABS = applied ballistics

BDX= ballistic data exchange

The 2400ABS has the applied ballistics elite engine, humidity, temp, pressure sensors in it.

2400BDX and 3000BDX only has a "applied ballistics light" engine in it, and no sensors, to get the full benifit, it should be paired with a kestrel or some sort of meter.

Anyone else with one of these yet that can comment?

I returned my 2000-B last week (for the second time) due to laser/accuracy issues. Leica says they have to send it back to Europe this time so instead I’m trading it in and having them send me a new 3500.com. It‘ll arrive Monday.

Once I’ve played around with it a bit I may reply back here with some details.

So, any solution in sight for this buggy as shit Leica 3500.com?

Will be connected and working fine. Then stops displaying the firing solution even though the kestrel updates the range.

The feature is basically useless if it can stop working at any minute.

Reactions: Bravo6

Will be connected and working fine. Then stops displaying the firing solution even though the kestrel updates the range.

That's exactly what mine was doing. I could not find any pattern that would cause it or any fix. I did tell Leica about this directly so hopefully they will get something in the works for everyone that has the unit still.

That's exactly what mine was doing. I could not find any pattern that would cause it or any fix. I did tell Leica about this directly so hopefully they will get something in the works for everyone that has the unit still.

It just randomly dropped connection while on my back porch making a test target card in kestrel.

My terrapin can stay connected and I can do this.

I basically paid $1200 for the ability to see my solution on screen.

Gonna go tell euro I need a return label.

I have zero time for shit that was obviously not properly field tested.

I’m in a conundrum. I feel like the leica returns a range noticeably faster than terrapin X.

And when it’s working with kestrel, it’s awesome.

So, I’m unsure to return it out of principle. Or keep it since it still seems like an “upgrade” to terrapin and hopefully they release a software fix.

I’m in a conundrum. I feel like the leica returns a range noticeably faster than terrapin X.

And when it’s working with kestrel, it’s awesome.

So, I’m unsure to return it out of principle. Or keep it since it still seems like an “upgrade” to terrapin and hopefully they release a software fix.
Appreciate your feedback for it vs terrapin. I think you were on the thread I made a while back with the 3500. Stuck between the X's and kilo 3000's.
Do you feel the Leica is an "upgrade " to the X just for the features or for raw durability, fit and finish, and lasing power?

Appreciate your feedback for it vs terrapin. I think you were on the thread I made a while back with the 3500. Stuck between the X's and kilo 3000's.
Do you feel the Leica is an "upgrade " to the X just for the features or for raw durability, fit and finish, and lasing power?

I’ll get them both side by side tomorrow.

First impression is the X seems a bit more durable. And I’ve been using it a year without issue. So it’s proven.

Leica glass seems better.

No threads on leica blows. Gotta spend another $50-100 to mount it.

Leica laser seems faster/better.

I’ll get them both side by side tomorrow.

First impression is the X seems a bit more durable. And I’ve been using it a year without issue. So it’s proven.

Leica glass seems better.

No threads on leica blows. Gotta spend another $50-100 to mount it.

Leica laser seems faster/better.

Mount definitely helps getting further measurements. I got the neoprene cover and mount. If you decide to keep it I would do 100 for both. Just something to keep in mind.

Just took them both outside with kestrel. It’s dark out, but works fine.

There is a school about 300yds away (shhh, they don’t know I live this close).

Both get the same reading. Terrapin is slightly slower.

Glass is close. Leica is brighter. But I’m not really here for glass. It sits next to swaro slc for spotting.

Terrapin feels/seems much more durable.

The terrapin connection is rock solid. And will reconnect automatically when it goes into sleep/shutdown and you press button. Terrapin will send range to kestrel I’m single target or on the target card. Just like the leica.

Leica gets the solution back. But is buggy as shit with that. Also has connection drop options.

So, I’m currently mounting a pic rail to my sporter/range plate. Gonna get the badger kestrel mount. So when I have multiple targets to write on arm board, I can have them both hands free. Hit button and see solution on kestrel. Or make a target card in kestrel and then go back to write ranges down.

Leica is going into the PX for $50 off if anyone snags it before I get a return PO from euro.

Just took them both outside with kestrel. It’s dark out, but works fine.

There is a school about 300yds away (shhh, they don’t know I live this close).

Both get the same reading. Terrapin is slightly slower.

Glass is close. Leica is brighter. But I’m not really here for glass. It sits next to swaro slc for spotting.

Terrapin feels/seems much more durable.

The terrapin connection is rock solid. And will reconnect automatically when it goes into sleep/shutdown and you press button. Terrapin will send range to kestrel I’m single target or on the target card. Just like the leica.

Leica gets the solution back. But is buggy as shit with that. Also has connection drop options.

So, I’m currently mounting a pic rail to my sporter/range plate. Gonna get the badger kestrel mount. So when I have multiple targets to write on arm board, I can have them both hands free. Hit button and see solution on kestrel. Or make a target card in kestrel and then go back to write ranges down.

Leica is going into the PX for $50 off if anyone snags it before I get a return PO from euro.
Thanks for letting me know. Don't feel too bad, as far as speed, it was good at first but I was getting 10-15 seconds for a return when the ambient started dropping.

I'm going to my first "real" prs style match in a month so I might wait and try to get the 3000 and X side by side. Unless I can find a smoking deal on a good condition terrapin.

Which I thought I found, but I'm guessing you're X is getting taken down off the PX?

Thanks for letting me know. Don't feel too bad, as far as speed, it was good at first but I was getting 10-15 seconds for a return when the ambient started dropping.

I'm going to my first "real" prs style match in a month so I might wait and try to get the 3000 and X side by side. Unless I can find a smoking deal on a good condition terrapin.

Which I thought I found, but I'm guessing you're X is getting taken down off the PX?

Yep. I’m keeping mine.

For my purposes, the X is better suited for me.

This started happening to me about a month ago with my 2800.com. Best Solution I have found it to recycle power on the kestrel. All firmware's are up to date. At first I thought it was the cold weather but it has been happening in 60-70deg F weather. It does seem like susceptible when the Leica is on and then the Kestrel is powered on.

Last edited:
Reactions: jd65
This started happening to me about a month ago with my 2800.com. Best Solution I have found it to recycle power on the kestrel. All firmware's are up to date.

That’s unfortunate. I don’t have the patience to be messing around with the connections.

My terrapin will provide the same info to kestrel, just not display the solution on screen. And it does it all the time every time.

I’d rather spend all my time taking a slight glance at the kestrel, than part of my time screwing with connections.

Has any dealer or customer brought these issues up to Leica? I'm ready to buy one but not with these issues....

Has any dealer or customer brought these issues up to Leica? I'm ready to buy one but not with these issues....

They have. With the 2800 numerous times. And with the 3500 people have started to.

I incorrectly assumed they would have fixed it with 3500.

Unfortunately, it’s fairly obvious they either don’t have the means, or don’t care to get it right.

When you release a product I can get to fail within 5 min from my porch, just ranges targets for 2min connected to kestrel, and it’s a common issue among users........it’s pretty hard to claim you did any amount of serious testing or didn’t know it had issues when you released it.

Ugh. There’s a Leica Vector IV for sale on my Canadian forum.. Probably should have grabbed that instead of this 3500.

I've been inches away from calling @gr8fuldoug at Cameraland and buying either 2800 and 3500 multiple times. If they fixed the issues I would have one no question. Comon, where's the updates Leica??

Received my 3500.com today.
Yea it drops the connection after a little bit, but it picks it up again when I press one of the buttons. Takes several seconds to reconnect but it always does. Also swapped the battery in and out and it connects right back up as if I were waking it from sleep. But damn does it ever range targets quickly - much faster than the three 2000-Bs that I had. Out to 500m it’s instant (that’s all I can get from my window). I can’t imagine other rangefinders being faster!?

Edit*
Walked outside to backyard and took it to 2800+m freehand on some trees. It’s still instant fast. Wow.

Last edited:
Received my 3500.com today.
Yea it drops the connection after a little bit, but it picks it up again when I press one of the buttons. Takes several seconds to reconnect but it always does. Also swapped the battery in and out and it connects right back up as if I were waking it from sleep. But damn does it ever range targets quickly - much faster than the three 2000-Bs that I had. Out to 500m it’s instant (that’s all I can get from my window). I can’t imagine other rangefinders being faster!?

Edit*
Walked outside to backyard and took it to 2800+m freehand on some trees. It’s still instant fast. Wow.

It’s definitely fast. I like it a lot for a straight range finder.

A little bit of an update.

Yesterday morning I updated my Kestrel 5700 Elite to Firmware 1.39 before going to the range. At the range temperatures were between 70-80 deg F. I could not repeat the issues with the Kestrel “losing connection” with the Leica. The losing connection symptoms I have experience are 1.) the Leica not displaying the firing solution but sending range to Kestrel 2.) Kestrel loses entire connection. I thought it might have been a power sequence issue, but I tested it both ways turning the kestrel on first and then the Leica and vice versa. All in all I spent about an hour testing yesterday afternoon and had no issues.

At this point it is either Temperature or firmware related

Reactions: Tailwind
I just got my 3500.com today from Jayse at Sport Optics, thanks Jayse! I'll take it for a spin this weekend with my Kestrel 5700.

What is the max ballistics adjustment with the kestrel paired for the 3500.com 1100 meters?
When I had it, whatever I could range the kestrel would show the solution, 2000+ yards.

It's only capped when you use the Leica ballistics program (no kestrel linked).

Reactions: 338 Cowboy
Will the ballistic data then be reported back into the RF display much like it does for the Sig Bdx and ABS?

Will the ballistic data then be reported back into the RF display much like it does for the Sig Bdx and ABS?

My 3500.com was sharing data back and forth with my K5700 out to 3122m (farthest I could hit standing on an uneven surface). So the Kestrel and the Leica would display the measured distance AND mils.

My 3500.com was sharing data back and forth with my K5700 out to 3122m (farthest I could hit standing on an uneven surface). So the Kestrel and the Leica would display the measured distance AND mils.

Awesome,

I’ve been on the fence in choosing it because of I was under the impression it was limited ballistically. Have you guys been happy with it this far as far as connectivity and performance goes?

Thanks for the report guys.

Awesome,

I’ve been on the fence in choosing it because of I was under the impression it was limited ballistically. Have you guys been happy with it this far as far as connectivity and performance goes?

When it’s connected to the 5700 I don’t see how it can be ballistically limited, since it’s using Bluetooth to transfer info. But the 3500.com itself as a stand-alone unit is probably limited by distance (when shooting angles and such). I haven’t read much about it tho since I tend to figure things out before reading the manual ?

Awesome,

I returned mine. I was not happy with it's connectivity (or lack of), or it's "cold" weather performance. It was a paperweight below 20F ambient.

There's some info in here and in a thread I created a while back on . I'd suggest reading through those. Kestrel did have an update so maybe that fixed some stuff. @blbennett1288 and @Dthomas3523 may be able to chime in and see if it got any better with a kestrel update. They were experiencing some of the same things as me.

It seems like a great optic, but if it doesn’t work in some conditions it doesn’t really mean anything. Hopefully Leica has addressed the issues you had.

FWIW I’ve done a review of my new Leica 3200com here on the Hide. Short version: buggy connectivity. I’ve sent an msg to Leica Hunting via F. We’ll see what they say.

My 3500 connection seemed to even out pretty well. Would stop sending solution back every now and then. But would reconnect easily.

My terrapin also has buggy connection at times.

It’s a kestrel issue, likely not a LRF issue.

Reactions: alsation
Any updates on improved connectivity with kestrel firmware updates?

Does any of this beg the question, why not stick to the 2400 ABS set up where solver and sensors are onboard? That would eliminate connectivity issues and BT would only be needed to transfer profiles.

Any updates on improved connectivity with kestrel firmware updates?

Does any of this beg the question, why not stick to the 2400 ABS set up where solver and sensors are onboard? That would eliminate connectivity issues and BT would only be needed to transfer profiles.

Terrapin and Leica have better lasers.

So, depends on what you value more. I ended up back with terrapin as I preferred the laser over the others and that was the most important part for me.

Right, not saying vs the 2400 ABS. More asking if new devices should go back to that configuration?

Give me the better lasers that we have available now and onboard software and sensors.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Thought I would update this thread as I have been using the 3500 since February and used it on a wyoming antelope hunt down around 30 degrees and still have not had any connection issues as long as I do not get more than about 6 away from the kestrel. It has been very reliable for me and worked every time I have used it.

Any update on the low ambient temperature function?

I am in the market for a rangefinder and have narrowed my choice to either the Leica 3500.com or the Sig 2400 ABS. I made a trip out to Cabellas in Hamburg PA because they had both display units in stock so me and the sales associate went outside to try them out.
I liked the Leica's optics by far. The image was brighter and sharper. The Sig's data was much easier to read than the Leica. The numbers and data were larger and the unit offers a choice of reticles. Sig also takes the nod for ergonomics. This weekend, I am taking a class at Griffin & Howe and will have an opportunity to do a hands on with the Sig and Kestral Elite. Since this thread is over a year old, I would welcome any comments and advise.