• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica Telavid 62 Warranty

DieselWSM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
Spokane, WA
I purchased a Leica Telavid 62 10 years ago and recently returned the scope and ocular to Leica, Inc. (New Jersey) for some repairs. I have never abused this scope or treated it maliciously, it was used for F-Class spotting primarily. It was disturbing to discover one day the ring and threads were stripped. Under warranty this would have been repaired for free, paying cash, Leica said the repair costs exceeded the value of the spotter.

NOW THE LESSON:

That little piece of paper that comes in the factory box which is typically called the warranty registration card...fill it out! I never did, and I certainly dont keep receipt for 10 years. Leica still has the owner of the scope as being the merchant who sold it to me and without the receipt, they cannot validate the warranty since I NEVER FILLED OUT THE WARRANTY CARD!!

Lesson Learned. Hope other can learn from my mistake. I have a $1500 (2003 prices) spotting scope that has been relegated to a field scope and more or less, an expensive piece of glass that I no longer have to worry about abusing!

Thanks for the warning. I'll check to make sure mine has been sent in.

After I sent in my Geovids and they nailed me for almost $200 to fix some faulty parts that effected the rangefinder. I sold mine and swore to never own anything Leica again because of their time and time again shitty warranties. They have some nice equipment, but when it fails they nail your ass to the wall and expect you to pay more for repairs... I mean why own a $2k pair of Geovids to fail after 3 years of their 2 year warranty and have to pay couple huindred bucks more for their internal parts failing??

I had one of these and found that the focus was a plastic gear. It always breaks. Swarovski is the ticket. I do like my Ultravids. The spotter is beneath Leica to produce. Sad.

All I can keep wondering is, how long til Vortex actually makes a Bino/Rangefinder combo with their excellent CS and warranty?? I weant one of the first ones, maybe even one of the prototypes to try out!!!

Why I am running VORTEX where I can.

a simple no BS warranty.

Chiller, I bought this back in 2003 and Vortex wasnt such a great name in Optics back in those days (IMO). I dont dare start the debate between MOA and Mil but Vortex is one of the few companies that makes an ocular with an MOA reticle so the Razor is absolutely next. I dont have any issues with Mil and since the my military days, those came standard issue but all of my gunning buddies run with MOA so, yep, I switched to be more effective on the team (some would say get new buddies!! haha). Hopefully Doug can lend a hand, if not, no worries! This spotter has never been a safe queen and still works, just might see a little less care and concern for the ol' girl now!!

Cheers,

Clint