• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica with ballistics in it?

regency

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
www.patwar.com
Would you pay an extra $400 for the ballistics option on a new set of Leica 10x42 rangefinder binoculars? My only hold up is that I stick to the belief that you should always verify your dope with real world pen/paper numbers (use ballistic app as only a guide to get close). So, I don't really feel the need for it unless I can be convinced otherwise... What would you do?

Unless it's a true built in ballistics calculator, including environmental measurements (like the Sig Kilo2400 or Gunwerks BR2/BR2500), I would skip it. The Leica ballistics tables can be accurate at short range (400 or less), but are worthless at long range in my opinion.

I do know it has some atmosphere sensors in it but anything from 100-400 I'm going to hit straight on anyways... I might just skip it and put that money into a kestrel down the road.

Not worth the money...particulalrly if you shoot past 1000yds.
Read the fine print on the limitations of the ballistics functionality and how the info is displayed. The one's I've used give you a number of elevation clicks not a direct mil or moa value.

The Geovide hdb rfb's are awesome, and have great features. Their ballistics feature isn't really much use. I've had mine since 2014. At first I thought I'd use it a lot but it's not meant to be used beyond 600 yes or so. It's clunky to use. I'd buy them again if I needed too even if it did have the software.

I too would offload the ballistic functions to another more capable device. Even assuming built in sensors on the binoculars, if you cannot control the inputs manually they would be useless to you. For example, how reasonable is ambient air temperature value provided if you wear your binos on a front chest pouch? Don't even ask me how to measure wind with them! :rolleyes:

I have a Leica rangefinfer (1600B) that has built-in sensors for temperature and pressure. These then go into my iPhone ballistic app to calculate my drop and wind holds with great precision.

I have a set, I use mostly for hunting mainly because the glass is amazing. I would say they are worth the money for the glass alone. If you are buying them for the main purpose of their ballistic capability, there is probably a more effective way to go. If you're looking for a product that offers great glass and a decent program regarding its set capabilities, these are pretty nice.

It's a clear and present waste of money. The Leica "ballistics" are not worth a penny.

The Leica Ballistics are good for large targets at close ranges. If you want them to do dual purpose as a fast hunting ballistics app - the will work. You won't use them in competition because they suck for that. I am a Leica dealer - but they need to up their game in the ballistics department, which I am still hopeful someday will happen :)

That being said, they have a higher resale value down the road, and if you use them for hunting, you can turn the ballistics display on for when you hunt, and off when your in competition.

I uploaded my first custom ballistics curve in my HD Bs yesterday, unlike others here I am very happy with it in a hunting application. I believe Leica changed their ballistic software recently because I was able to enter an exact scope height above bore (was told it was locked at 1.9" previously). I was able to get them to show the elevation solution in MOA even though I've seen it said multiple times it will only read click #s. Finally, I entered the same MV and bullet BC as is used in my AB kestrel and then shot items up 800 yards and the HD B and Kestrel solutions matched the entire way.

I need some more time with them but everything is pointing towards them being an awesome hunting tool. Get ahold of Doug at cameralandNY, I've seen them listing the HD B 2000 demos for $1500 recently. You can't go wrong at that price.

Last edited:
I have the 8X42 HD-B. The drop data isn’t a problem. I have micro SD cards for all my rifles. It’s the wind that’s a killer.

You still need the ballistic application on a device to establish wind values. Unless of course you run a Horus reticle and ha e learnt the relevant wind holds for the wind value. Now that’s works well and it very fast :D

of course anything beyond 600 metres will need extra care and attention. But at that range the target won’t be under pressure from your presence and should allow the luxury planning the shot.

range finding tech is evolving quicker than glass, glass is relative mature tech - so you will find the range finding capabilities will become obsolete quicker than the glass .. given this i wont buy range finding binocs ---

I am pretty pissed off with mine right now! While on a hunting trip in CO recently, my BIL and I started ranging things and comparing his Swaro EL RFB to my Leica’s. The angled corrected readings were WAY off. After playing with it, I realized that by cycling through the different preset ballistic “performance curves”, or whatever they call them, each one gave a different angle corrected yardage! After further reading, it appears that Leica will NOT spit out a simple angle corrected distance, instead it is some sort of ballistically compensated range with elevation angle and distance taken into account...WHATEVER THE HELL THAT MEANS! Why they won’t perform a simple trig calculation and give you and angle corrected yardage is BEYONE ME! I have emailed and IMed them on FB and no response whatsoever. Although the ballistics software is very slightly improved, it is still junk. Even if it wasn’t, and you used it, and instead of giving a yarded that is some Leica calculated number, you used clicks, it is completely unknown if that value has taken the angle into account or is just a straight line distance.

JUNK, expensive junk and I am pretty PISSED I bought them! Buy the Swaro ELs and use an off line ballistic software....kestrel with AB is the best!

I am pretty pissed off with mine right now! While on a hunting trip in CO recently, my BIL and I started ranging things and comparing his Swaro EL RFB to my Leica’s. The angled corrected readings were WAY off. After playing with it, I realized that by cycling through the different preset ballistic “performance curves”, or whatever they call them, each one gave a different angle corrected yardage! After further reading, it appears that Leica will NOT spit out a simple angle corrected distance, instead it is some sort of ballistically compensated range with elevation angle and distance taken into account...WHATEVER THE HELL THAT MEANS! Why they won’t perform a simple trig calculation and give you and angle corrected yardage is BEYONE ME! I have emailed and IMed them on FB and no response whatsoever. Although the ballistics software is very slightly improved, it is still junk. Even if it wasn’t, and you used it, and instead of giving a yarded that is some Leica calculated number, you used clicks, it is completely unknown if that value has taken the angle into account or is just a straight line distance.

JUNK, expensive junk and I am pretty PISSED I bought them! Buy the Swaro ELs and use an off line ballistic software....kestrel with AB is the best!

Why mess with a generic curve instead of selecting "none" for the curve? That might solve your issue.

I believe the reading I get when set to read custom curve from card is actual yardage. It gives me a good elevation solution with angle comp (only tested to 20 degrees @ 780 yes so far) and I'd rather have actual yardage for a wind call.

Last edited:
Why mess with a generic curve instead of selecting "none" for the curve? That might solve your issue.

I believe the reading I get when set to read custom curve from card is actual yardage. It gives me a good elevation solution with angle comp (only tested to 20 degrees @ 780 yes so far) and I'd rather have actual yardage for a wind call.

When you turn it off, it will no longer spit out anything other than line of sight yardage.