• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leica, Zeiss, or Vectronix Range Finder

Backspace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2012
Florence, SC
Tried the search but couldn't find a good comparison.

I have an old bushnell range finder that finally died last week and now it is time to upgrade. I really like the integrated lrf in the binoculars. With the sales going on and used section these are all similar in price range... a lot. Haha. But specifically looking at the geovid hd and zeiss victory10x 45 (i think). Then there is the vectronix terrapin. Not the binocular style, but an impressive unit with an excellent reputation. So here is my question, has anyone used any/ all of them? How do they stack up to eachother? Is it worth it to give up the binocular design to go to the vectronix? Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated.

Re: Leica, Zeiss, or Vectronix Range Finder

I haven't had the Zeiss or Leica Geovid, but I do have a Vectronix Terrapin and a Leica LRF 1200 and there's no comparison. With the Leica I can't even get reliable readings every time at 800 yds., sometimes I have to try several times at ranges like that before I get a reading. With the Vectronix, I pretty much get readings every time out past 2000 yds. I think the farthest I've ranged with the Vectronix was a building at about 3700 yds., I had to try several times at that range before I got a reading.

I have had a Zeiss and a Geovid. Decent if you only need a reading most of the time inside of 600-700 yards in decent conditions. Both worked well on reasonable targets in good overcast weather at or below that range. If you need a reading at any sane distance almost all the time even in less than ideal conditions don't waste your time and money.... go ahead and get the Vectronix.

Vectronix is in a class by itself. Nothing else is even close in ranging.

I use a pair of geovids 10x42s, love them for hunting and will still use them for hunting great binos. For long range shooting my next purchase will be a vectronix with out a doubt.... hopefully PLRF 15C have to see what I can sneak pass the wife.

If I was just using them for long range shooting I'd go vectronix, hunting looking for game I'd go leica

You got it pretty well covered already, as mentioned for long range accurate ranging get the Vectronix, they make a quality product.
If weight, portability and space is a big concern, and they're used within 1k the binoculars are a good option.
For hunting it's easier to have one unit for both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vectronix is in a class by itself. Nothing else is even close in ranging. </div></div>

Is a truth with modifications, they're a high quality product for sure, but if money is of no concern there are just as good or better options, depending on use.

The Riegl Lasertape FG21-LR is a distant relative of the old HCI, and is very robust and impressive unit, very accurate and fast ranging. The set of features is different from Vectronix though,
It has no Azimuth reading, but the height measuring mode, and search mode are nice for some uses. The short range suppression works well, and the accuracy is very impressive compared to other offerings.
more then one button though so not as foolproof as the vectronix.
It's in the price range with a plrf 25 and if you're going to spend that much on a LRF it's worth considering you're options.

And if you want the most rugged, and dependable unit around, the Laseroptronix LDM with 20 kms range is quite a impressive beast, but it costs more then it tastes as it would probably be around 20k $.

Thanks for all the responses. Right now i am leaning towards the zeiss or leica. The vectronix is super nice but this will be mainly for hunting and i know that i am not anywhere near ready to take a shot on a deer at or past 1000 yards. I like the idea of removing one more item out of my laundry list of hunting gear. The vectronix may be in the future, but it just isn't that practical for me now. So, those of you with time behind the binocular style lrf units... i currently use a pair of swarovski el binoculars. Will either the leica or the zeiss be close to or better than my current binoculars? I know all 3 make exceptional glass but just curious if i will be losing much in the optics side by going to the integrated lrf.

Don't discount Bushnell Fusion ARC binos or Swarovski LRF.

I was recently making this same decision (between Leica and Zeiss). I went with the Zeiss, because of the BDC feautre, which gives you a fairly accurate estimation of your bullet drop in relation to the distance ranged. Accuracy of estimates are well within what's needed for hunting purposes, but I wouldn't rely on them for anyting more.

The devices gives you 6 different ballistics characteristics to choose from, and you can select whether the estimated bullet drop is displayed in Immperial (inches) or Metric (cm-I think).

I use MOA reticles and adjustments, which make it easy to calculate and dial in on the scope; however, the same might not be true using Mils (but I don't know).

Bushnell Elite 1600 Arc. I was shocked at the glass quality. And it has performed flawlessly for me. The ARC technology is sweet as well. Save some money and get the Bushy. You wont be sorry.

Holy crap those Vectronix range finders are pricy!! But if your playing at those ranges(2000-3000m), you can afford one I suppose!

I have owned Zeiss and Swaro range finders and currently have a Terrapin. As was said previously, there is just no comparison the Terrapin is definitely in a class by itself. Pricey, but well worth it.