• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Length and type of cleaning rod for Rem 700

cdj588

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
Im looking to get a one piece cleaning rod but I want one that will fit and work with my 30-30 and my AR. Obvious the Rem 700 is the longer of the three rifles so

1. What length is the minimum to clear my 24 inch Rem 700 .270? I was thinking 36 inches but I dont know if that will be long enough for use with my bore guide.

2. Should I get a carbon fiber or a coated rod?

Re: Length and type of cleaning rod for Rem 700

26" will not be near long enough. I recommend investing in (2) Dewey coated rods, one for you AR/lever gun and one for the Rem 700 which I recommend 50".

My 36" Dewey rod barely works in my 26" Remmy 700 with bore guide. It should be fine in a 24" 700.

I use Dewey rods, and they recommend using this formula to determine the length of the rod you need:

"Use this formula to determine correct length: Length of barrel + action or breech rod guide length + 2-3" clearance + high cheek rest if applicable = total rod length needed."

I always err to the longer side when in doubt and always use them with Lucas bore guides....

Good luck!