• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LENS CLEANING - - SAFE SOLUTIONS

billybronco

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
Hey Gents,

I used an old lenspen to brush away some particles on my sexy new PST and I guess the bristles had accumulated some crap over time b/c it smeared my obj. lens. Planning on using a medical grade q-tip and _______.

I found some Philips screen cleaning fluid. It contains distilled water, 2-butoxyethanol, anti-static, anti-septic and essence.

???

Is this stuff gonna ruin my lens coating?

Should I use isopropyl instead?

Thanks in advance.

Re: LENS CLEANING - - SAFE SOLUTIONS

Maybe I'm doing something wrong... When I have a smudge, I just breath on it to fog it up and use the other end of the lens pen to lightly wipe it away. Is there a reason you're not using the other side of the lens pen?

yeah, it didnt do anything but make it worse.

i tried "recharging" it by twisting the cap and hopefully getting some more silicon or whatever it is onto the felt but no dice.

it's not exactly "new" either.....i'll be trying the "fog method" before dabbing it with a moist q-tip but me thinks it's gonna take more than hot breath.

Zeiss makes a lens cleaner, you can pick them up at Walmart in the contact lens/glasses area.

yeah saw that....hoping i wouldn't have to make another journey. i'm kinda rural.

Yeah, maybe the felt end fog approach reaches its limit with anything stickier than a fingerprint smudge. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">acetone</div></div>

Plus one on the Acetone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Acetone? It's safe for our lenses?
</div></div>

I second this question. I love acetone for use as a solvent but it will dissolve some rubber gloves on contact. Are scope lens coatings that durable?

Best I've found is using 10psi of clean compressed air, Pancro (professional lens cleaning solution), and a Kimwipes product called Kimteck Science(delicate task wipers).

Every time you rub the lens you risk scratching it. Just blow the dust off and resist the urget to clean it. Should be ok unless you got some serious mud or dirt on there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every time you rub the lens you risk scratching it. Just blow the dust off and resist the urget to clean it. Should be ok unless you got some serious mud or dirt on there.</div></div>

That is what I do. I have only cleaned the lenses once since having the scope. I ended up with a sand dune in my objective and gently blew out as much of it as I could with compressed air.

The aerosol type compressed air can flash freeze and crack your lens. Stay away from that type.

Acetone is just so fast and can attack some plastics. Isopropanol and water won't be as stong as a solvent (good and bad) but it will let the solution wet the lens and give you a little working time. Maybe a shot of vineagar. Acetone on a q-tip isn't that much of a risk do to because of how localized and how fast the acetone will flash off. One thing I have noticed about acetone is that it often leaves a white film on things when it evaporates. I try not to clean my lenses- camera or scope, but when I do, I use a photograde micro cloth and some lens cleaner, which seems to be water, alchohol and some detergergent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Acetone? It's safe for our lenses?
</div></div>

What do you think we are all trying to fool you??? Yes ACETONE. Not the shit you remove your toe polish with. Pure Acetone. Its safe and recomended for high quality lenses...including Vortex. </div></div>

What's your fucking problem? But thanks for the clarification, my God!!!

Edit: I mean look at my sig!! I don't know anything, and I have to ask because my USO IS expensive so dammed right I'm going to ask that question.

I worked at Leupold for 18 years until they laid me off at the end of last year in the assembly department. I have cleaned millions of lenses in the time that I was there (literally not joking about the millions of lenses cleaned, 250,000 scopes produced a year more or less for 18 years, you figure it out)

Acetic acid (distilled white vinegar will work) and acetone is what any of the optics manufacturers use and will not harm your optics. Use a fine brush (your wife's cosmetic brushes are excellent for this if you can steal one of them from her before she uses it) to get the large stuff off or flush with a lot of water (de-ionized water is best, wont leave the mineral spots like the rain leaves on your car windows). Get a spray bottle that will squirt the water in a stream rather than a spray (like a 409 bottle) and fill with DI water, use it to flush away any real dirt. Then use the vinegar and acetone to remove any oily/greasy (fingerprints etc.) smudges left on the lens. Use a Q-tip or lens tissue soaked with lots of acetone and and lightly clean from the center of the lens to the edges. If you do it right the acetone will evaporate and leave you a nice streak free surface. It takes a little practice but once you have it down it is easy. The acetone will not harm your lens coatings or O-ring seals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Acetone? It's safe for our lenses?
</div></div>

What do you think we are all trying to fool you??? Yes ACETONE. Not the shit you remove your toe polish with. Pure Acetone. Its safe and recomended for high quality lenses...including Vortex. </div></div>

What's your fucking problem? But thanks for the clarification, my God!!!

Edit: I mean look at my sig!! I don't know anything, and I have to ask because my USO IS expensive so dammed right I'm going to ask that question. </div></div>

Lack of hugs in the formative years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fancy that, a personal attack, from another know-nothing. Its Sunday isn't there a gun show you are missing? </div></div>

No MOD would rate that as a personal attack, but that is your second attack towards me.

Your whole demeanor is offensive and immature.

OP, sorry for the hijack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well guess what, you can change your tag line to "know one thing". Since you doubt the advice, check out what USO has to say... http://www.usoptics.com/instructions

</div></div>

Kleenex? Really. That's a Bozo no-no. I don't care if you are Nightforce or Galileo. Do they use special trees? Keeping it wet will help reduce damage, but why not use a microfiber cloth?

Removed because it was wrong to type it... but might have explained your lightning quick anger.

BTW, I luvzmesum acetone. Have been using it since 1980 after being shown the proper way to use it. Acetone and 99% ISO are my favorites but I only recommend PECO kits to newbs or someone asking for something to take in the field.

I was doing this in '85-'86:

PA020074.jpg

PA020076.jpg

I got it the Smith-Barney way, I earned it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well guess what, you can change your tag line to "know one thing". Since you doubt the advice, check out what USO has to say... http://www.usoptics.com/instructions

</div></div>

I guess I'm just used to MOST people being more than happy to be NICE. Can't count on that all the time though, comes with the territory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven Morehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I worked at Leupold for 18 years until they laid me off at the end of last year in the assembly department. I have cleaned millions of lenses in the time that I was there (literally not joking about the millions of lenses cleaned, 250,000 scopes produced a year more or less for 18 years, you figure it out)

Acetic acid (distilled white vinegar will work) and acetone is what any of the optics manufacturers use and will not harm your optics. Use a fine brush (your wife's cosmetic brushes are excellent for this if you can steal one of them from her before she uses it) to get the large stuff off or flush with a lot of water (de-ionized water is best, wont leave the mineral spots like the rain leaves on your car windows). Get a spray bottle that will squirt the water in a stream rather than a spray (like a 409 bottle) and fill with DI water, use it to flush away any real dirt. Then use the vinegar and acetone to remove any oily/greasy (fingerprints etc.) smudges left on the lens. Use a Q-tip or lens tissue soaked with lots of acetone and and lightly clean from the center of the lens to the
edges. If you do it right the acetone will evaporate and leave you a nice streak free surface. It takes a little practice but once you have it down it is easy. The acetone will
not harm your lens coatings or O-ring seals. </div></div>

Thank You Craven for this, it's what I needed to hear.

Sorry to hear about what Leupold did about your position there. I hope it is going well for you now. I'll be in that situation after this coming week after many years of solid employment, scary times.... Maybe I'll help myself to some acetone before my last day there, probably should not but....... Anyway thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DavidAR10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Removed because it was wrong to type it... but might have explained your lightning quick anger.

BTW, I luvzmesum acetone. Have been using it since 1980 after being shown the proper way to use it. Acetone and 99% ISO are my favorites but I only recommend PECO kits to newbs or someone asking for something to take in the field.

I was doing this in '85-'86:

PA020074.jpg

PA020076.jpg
</div></div>

So, in other words, despite your admitted knowledge...and in fact fondness of acetone as a proper lense cleaning solution, you chose to argue the contrary. Brilliant. Nice shirt. </div></div>

No, I offered a website that covered how to clean a lens from people of known repute.

AND, two companies that offer products to obtain that objective... without using a liver killer.

Please, just get it over with and show us your internet penis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As DavidAR10 owns a really impressive t shirt, you should probably use whatever he recommends. </div></div>

Nice edit, I lol.

da-da-damn, I should never have questioned your skillz by asking you what color is the boathouse at Stone Bay.
icon_smile_clown.gif

If you guys get this worked up about how to clean a lens, what happens when an important topic like "Ginger or Mary Ann" comes up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are too stupid to safely use acetone to clean a scope....then you are too stupid to safely shoot a rifle...oh wait sorry, for a second I forgot about the t-shirt...
smile.gif
</div></div>

You get so worked up, Scout. You'll blow a valve.

BTW, the OP mentioned right off the bat that he used a:

da-da-damn, LENS PEN.

But you had to be:

1) the first with the right answer... to someone that used a lens pen

2) the first with the ONLY RIGHT DA-DA-DAMN ANSWER

3) and defend that answer to the death

I have only one more question and state that I will not post in this thread, again.

How hard did you have to fight for food as an infant?

Acetone, vinegar, isopropyl alc....Jeez, what about some good Russian vodka! Seriously though, years ago, I set up and developed laser systems for doing some very crirical work on nuclear fule components and the only thing we cleaned lenses with was 200 proof, pharmaceutical grain alc. What the Hell, you can drink the residue!