• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Les Baer or Ed Brown?

Johnny Sasaki

Minuteman
Title says it all. I'm looking at a new 1911. I'm thinking of selling my STI double stack and getting either a Les Baer or an Ed Brown not sure which I like more and which is better.

Thoughts?

I was thinking of the Baer 1911 Premier II in 5" or the Ed Brown Classic Custom. Leaning towards the Les Baer right now.

I also saw they had a sweet engraved model but I'm gonna carry it and I don't wanna look like a nerd lol.

Re: Les Baer or Ed Brown?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Title says it all. I'm looking at a new 1911. I'm thinking of selling my STI double stack and getting either a Les Baer or an Ed Brown not sure which I like more and which is better.

Thoughts?

I was thinking of the Baer 1911 Premier II in 5" or the Ed Brown Classic Custom. Leaning towards the Les Baer right now.

I also saw they had a sweet engraved model but I'm gonna carry it and I don't wanna look like a nerd lol. </div></div>

Have not had any experience with the Ed Brown's, which surely are nice, but have some rounds behind the LB Premier II. My brother recently acquired a new one and it is without a doubt the nicest pistol I have shot. I've had a lot of rounds through my Kimber and the first mag I put through the LB was the smallest group I've ever shot with a pistol. Kinda reminded me of when I went from shooting a factory Rem700 to my current custom rifle. Ridiculously more accurate and just "feels" better... if you catch my drift.

You could look at Wilson Combat as well.

http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/calibers/45-acp/larry-vickers-1911/

The LAV just picked one up recently from Wilson. You can see the process each of their gun goes through.

And he knows a bit about 1911's
smile.gif

These are two of the most beautiful examples I have seen... one of each:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=2740636&postcount=43

I think there are better finishes than bluing, but you gotta love the blued look.

I was thinking about getting a Baer SRP with 1.5" accuracy guarantee, no front-cocking serrations, naked slide, and two-piece bevelled magwell. And I was thinking about getting it in hard chrome and having it Birdsonged.

On the other hand, an Ed Brown Executive Target with a naked slide finished in Gen III would be pretty nice as well.

If I could just make up my mind (and pull together the funds), I would end up buying one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could look at Wilson Combat as well.

http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/calibers/45-acp/larry-vickers-1911/

The LAV just picked one up recently from Wilson. You can see the process each of their gun goes through.

And he knows a bit about 1911's
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yea I'm not ruling Wilson out (I like them a lot), but I've heard from a lot of people that the Les baer and Ed browns were better. I would assume being former Delta Force that, yes, Larry Vickers does indeed know what he's talking about. However, why would he have a Wilson Combat when he has his own line of pistols he makes?

That is a b-e-a-utiful looking gun though, as well as the matching guns the other guy posted.

He doesn't per say have a 1911 line anymore.

He stopped his line with Nighthawk. All he does now I think is work on them.

If it were only between those two I would choose the Baer all day long. IMO they are fit better than the Browns and the customer service from LB is very good.

In that price range STI has a couple of great single stacks as well. I usually recommend them as I think that dollar for dollar they offer more value than their competitors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were only between those two I would choose the Baer all day long. IMO they are fit better than the Browns and the customer service from LB is very good.

In that price range STI has a couple of great single stacks as well. I usually recommend them as I think that dollar for dollar they offer more value than their competitors. </div></div>

Yea, my STI is great (double stack) and I can shoot literally the same hole at 15-20 yards all day long without any effort on my part. The only problem is, that hole is about 6-7 inches low. If I'm shooting at a shoot-and-see, and I aim just above the very top, it will impact just at the very bottom. Perfectly in line, however just a little too low for me. I don't know if it's just me or what, but I don't seem to shoot low with anything else and my dad shoots just as low with it.

Don't think you could really go wrong with any of them, sorry I know that wasn't much help. I was going to order a WC until I decided that I wanted to do LR shooting instead. But one day I will have a fine 1911 built for me.

You can't go wrong with either but I will cast my vote for Ed Brown. My Executive Elite is great shooting and has proven to be very durable, surviving Gunsite's 250 and 350 pistol classes. Great trigger, fantastic grip safety. I have other 1911s but I always seem to pull out the EB.

Ed Brown fan here.

IMG_6465Large.jpg

I own a "Special Forces" and love it. First weekend I had it I put ~1300 rounds through it without weapon failures. I had two 10-round Wilson Combat magazines fail at the feed lips. They were older magazines and pretty well worn. Those mags also failed in three other 1911s. That first use of the pistol was in an advanced pistol class and the gun was run pretty hard.

The night before the class I took the pistol home, completely disassembled it, lubed it properly and dry fired it maybe a few hundred times in front of the TV. During the class I only pulled a bore snake through it once the morning of the second day.

During the class I cut the palm of my hand on a sharp piece of metal at the range (we were running drills around vehicles on the range from a previous MG shoot and the car bodies were shot up) and the chain link on the grip frame kept the pistol tight in my hand even with a wet, bloody palm. The finish was never discolored from the blood left on the grip frame during the weekend.

The pistol is tight but not overly so. Some custom/semi-custom 1911s require a break-in period; some require 400-500 rounds! Factor that money into your purchase price.

I now have many more thousands of rounds through my Brown and couldn't be happier with it. I've carried the pistol as a daily self defense/concealed carry tool and the finish is simply amazing. When I was carrying a Kimber I'd have to wipe the pistol down every night or it would start to show early signs of rusting. This was carrying the pistol right against my skin of course. The Brown's finish is durable enough that I don't have to worry about wiping down the gun.

The Baer guns are certainly nice. I like the Wilson CQB a lot too. Lots of good 1911s from which to choose.

Sorry for the pre-coffee rambling. LOL.

Best of luck.

This is anecdotal, but, I have two Les Baer TRS's consecutive serial numbers. One has gone without malfunction over 1000 rounds consecutive. The other, before round 50 in its life, broke the sear causing the hammer to follow the slide. When that happened, manually cocking the hammer to the rear and releasing would cause it to fall, strike the firing pin, and discharging the round.

This is a recipe for disaster obviously and the only reason the accidental discharge it caused was not disastrous was because of following all rules of firearms safety. The response and the level of interest from customer service was luke warm until those with a great deal more pull than just the lowly customer were brought in. This was disappointing.

I had a Les Baer Thunder Ranch. Just traded it off with the intention of replacing it with a Kobra karry. I had over 5k rounds threw that Les Baer and the only malfunction was the 3rd round of the first mag. Most of those rounds were some pretty dirty WOLF ammo. I don't see a down side. But I did read that Wilson started using cast peices, don't know if thats true or not. I wouldn't buy one until I found out, but I was choosing between the Thunder Ranch and Wilson CQB.

I went through a similar debate about a year ago, having to decide between a Wilson, Brown, and Baer. Fortunately, I have a shop fairly close by that had examples of all three in stock. Ultimately, I went with the Baer Premier II 5". Based on feel, fit, finish, and price, the Baer just seemed like the best value. It has proven to be extremely accurate and utterly reliable. I run it with Brian Enos' slide Glide and, after about 1000 rounds, have had no problems.

Good luck with the choice. In the end, it comes down to personal preference and what feels right to you -- no matter what any of us say here.

Let us know what you ultimately get and, of course, post pics!

I have had Lesbaers , edbrown, nighthawk ,kimber supermatch ,
springfield trp .The lesbaers are tighter and can be had on gunbroker at a good discount

will second swordfish.

had them all les baers are the best shooters for the money. ed's and wilsons you are paying lot for the looks

I have 14,000 rounds thru Les Baer HG 68 200 gr semi wad cutter molly coated can't remember a malfunction, that was not my fault like primer backwards. Suggest Trpp Cobra mags for LB. I have shot some Browns but have not owned one.

Change recoil spring and firing pin spring around 1500 round count, slide gulid lub.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking about getting a Baer SRP with 1.5" accuracy guarantee</div></div>

So what's that about anyway? I don't really understand, as they dont really elaborate on it much. Do they charge you more for one that happens to be more accurate or something?

I would look at Pistol Dynamics, http://www.pistoldynamics.com/
He was a mainstay in the smith and wesson performance center, and makes wonderful guns.
I would not rule out an old colt and have Novaks build them to your specs. I have two, they are flawless and my poor mans sorta matched pair. a combat commander and combat government.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking about getting a Baer SRP with 1.5" accuracy guarantee</div></div>

So what's that about anyway? I don't really understand, as they dont really elaborate on it much. Do they charge you more for one that happens to be more accurate or something? </div></div>
Standard accuracy is 3"at 50 yards, but you can upgrade to a 1.5"at 50 yards guarantee on some models.
At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

I have a les 1.5 in 9mm and 45 .
they come with test target and go through a different assembly
process . most les guns have to be bumped open when new and can only just be racked back like all the others after 3000 rds .

The Browns tends to have a much "softer" fits that most of the other semi-customs. LB's will have the "hardest" fits. In other words, a LB will feel the tightest, and and EB the loosest. They all lock up in battery very tightly, though.

I don't think it's fair to suggest that Wilsons are "paying for the name". They have a strong history of tuning out excellent guns with minimal issues. Not all of the semi-custom shops have as clean of a track record as Wilson does. There is a lot to be said for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking about getting a Baer SRP with 1.5" accuracy guarantee</div></div>

So what's that about anyway? I don't really understand, as they dont really elaborate on it much. Do they charge you more for one that happens to be more accurate or something?</div></div>

The standard accuracy guarantee is 3" at 50 yards in a Ransom Rest (I think it is for 10 rounds). For about $300 more, they will guarantee 1.5" at 50 yards for certain models (carbon steel only, not on stainless models... I don't know why).

The build process is different for the 1.5" guns. They feature a tighter fit (which is saying something for a Baer) and have an extra number of hours of gunsmithing, hence the increased price. I don't think anyone knows what they do, really.

The question is whether anybody can tell the difference when shooting... that is probably a good point. But I will pay the extra dough for a little more accuracy, especially when there are no other tradeoffs than price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Ed Brown has run perfect, very pleased with this pistol.
</div></div>

Nice and nekkid!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking about getting a Baer SRP with 1.5" accuracy guarantee</div></div>

So what's that about anyway? I don't really understand, as they dont really elaborate on it much. Do they charge you more for one that happens to be more accurate or something?</div></div>

The standard accuracy guarantee is 3" at 50 yards in a Ransom Rest (I think it is for 10 rounds). For about $300 more, they will guarantee 1.5" at 50 yards for certain models (carbon steel only, not on stainless models... I don't know why).

The build process is different for the 1.5" guns. They feature a tighter fit (which is saying something for a Baer) and have an extra number of hours of gunsmithing, hence the increased price. I don't think anyone knows what they do, really.

The question is whether anybody can tell the difference when shooting... that is probably a good point. But I will pay the extra dough for a little more accuracy, especially when there are no other tradeoffs than price. </div></div>

Alright, yea, that's what I figured. I think I'm leaning towards the premier II in 45 with the 1.5". That Ed Brown above looks sexy as hell though. What grips do you have on that?

you can get a custom one built from les .
I like no markings on slide with just rear serrations .but you can get what you want extra or less

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Alright, yea, that's what I figured. I think I'm leaning towards the premier II in 45 with the 1.5". That Ed Brown above looks sexy as hell though. What grips do you have on that?</div></div>

They look like Operator II's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, my STI is great (double stack) and I can shoot literally the same hole at 15-20 yards all day long without any effort on my part. The only problem is, that hole is about 6-7 inches low. If I'm shooting at a shoot-and-see, and I aim just above the very top, it will impact just at the very bottom. Perfectly in line, however just a little too low for me. I don't know if it's just me or what, but I don't seem to shoot low with anything else and my dad shoots just as low with it.</div></div>

Which STI double stack do you currently have?
Why not just get a slightly lower front sight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, my STI is great (double stack) and I can shoot literally the same hole at 15-20 yards all day long without any effort on my part. The only problem is, that hole is about 6-7 inches low. If I'm shooting at a shoot-and-see, and I aim just above the very top, it will impact just at the very bottom. Perfectly in line, however just a little too low for me. I don't know if it's just me or what, but I don't seem to shoot low with anything else and my dad shoots just as low with it.</div></div>

Which STI double stack do you currently have?
Why not just get a slightly lower front sight? </div></div>

Not sure actually. I got it used and this thing has literally zero markings on it besides the serial number and the STI marking. Also, I'm thinking about selling it not only because it shoots low, but also because the guy who had it before didn't really take care of it. The right side of the ambi safty is very loose and there are hints of rust all over the slide. There's a tiny bit in the STI lettering and logo and there seems to be a slight discoloring on the top left for some reason. And on top of all that the left side of the safty really digs into the inside of my knuckle on my thumb.

So with all that considered, I say out with the old and in with the new.
wink.gif

Exactly, Op2s. Nothing against LB, I just personally don't need a pistol that takes 1000 rounds to break in... as long as it is tight in battery it will have repeatable accuracy (when in battery I need a bushing wrench to turn the bushing, but I can still shoot bunny fart target loads 100%). Also, the dozon or so I looked at before I bought the EB had funky color differences between the slide & lower except obviously for the hard chrome models. Boils down to personal preference.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Alright, yea, that's what I figured. I think I'm leaning towards the premier II in 45 with the 1.5". That Ed Brown above looks sexy as hell though. What grips do you have on that?</div></div>

They look like Operator II's. </div></div>

Brown fan, here. NOT a fan of Les Baer - the whole, "look at my new Les Baer, it's so tight I can't even rack the slide!" thing just leaves me unimpressed.

I have a Wilson, a full house Colt, and a full house Springfield. My wilson is a CQB Elite with naked slide and is my favorite to shoot. I can't even describe how scary accurate it is, but the price tag is scary too!

of the two listed i would prefer the Les Baer because it's cheaper, is just as good as a wilson or brown, and it has checkering standard. I don't dig on scalloping or scales like the Browns have and figure for what you pay for a Brown you should get some nice hand checkering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know of a good place online to buy a Baer that might even have something in stock or should I just order from the Baer website? I'm looking for the premium 2 in 5" with 1.5 and probably the tactical as well.</div></div>

http://www.proload.com/

One of the better places to get Baer's from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><snip - stuff about Baer> The response and the level of interest from customer service was luke warm until those with a great deal more pull than just the lowly customer were brought in. This was disappointing. </div></div>

This is a huge reason to buy from John @ Proload if purchasing a Baer. The customer service, either from him or from Baer through him will be excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coriolis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><snip - stuff about Baer> The response and the level of interest from customer service was luke warm until those with a great deal more pull than just the lowly customer were brought in. This was disappointing. </div></div>

This is a huge reason to buy from John @ Proload if purchasing a Baer. The customer service, either from him or from Baer through him will be excellent. </div></div>

Actually, I did buy the guns from John from Proload but did not contact him when the one failed. That was probably a mistake and my experience when buying from Proload was excellent. If I am not mistaken, he may be Les Baer's largest stocking dealer. If I were buying another Les Baer, I'd definitely go with them again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ed Brown fan here.

IMG_6465Large.jpg

I own a "Special Forces" and love it. First weekend I had it I put ~1300 rounds through it without weapon failures. I had two 10-round Wilson Combat magazines fail at the feed lips. They were older magazines and pretty well worn. Those mags also failed in three other 1911s. That first use of the pistol was in an advanced pistol class and the gun was run pretty hard.

The night before the class I took the pistol home, completely disassembled it, lubed it properly and dry fired it maybe a few hundred times in front of the TV. During the class I only pulled a bore snake through it once the morning of the second day.

During the class I cut the palm of my hand on a sharp piece of metal at the range (we were running drills around vehicles on the range from a previous MG shoot and the car bodies were shot up) and the chain link on the grip frame kept the pistol tight in my hand even with a wet, bloody palm. The finish was never discolored from the blood left on the grip frame during the weekend.

The pistol is tight but not overly so. Some custom/semi-custom 1911s require a break-in period; some require 400-500 rounds! Factor that money into your purchase price.

I now have many more thousands of rounds through my Brown and couldn't be happier with it. I've carried the pistol as a daily self defense/concealed carry tool and the finish is simply amazing. When I was carrying a Kimber I'd have to wipe the pistol down every night or it would start to show early signs of rusting. This was carrying the pistol right against my skin of course. The Brown's finish is durable enough that I don't have to worry about wiping down the gun.

The Baer guns are certainly nice. I like the Wilson CQB a lot too. Lots of good 1911s from which to choose.

Sorry for the pre-coffee rambling. LOL.

Best of luck.

</div></div>

Got to agree. I have an EB SF for quite sometime now and that thing runs like a champ!!! When I attend classes, there is no "babying" the tools in the hotel room at night. They get packed in dirty, wet, whatever. I like to see if the weapons "hiccup" under as "real world" conditions as I can find. I can happily say about the Brown, she runs and runs and just keeps on running!!!

I've had a Les Baer Stinger for a few years now, it's been a great pistol. I've been able to speak directly with Les about some of the Stinger idiosyncracies a couple times, those folks have always been easy to deal with for me. I too am looking for a premier II, I want one with the 1.5" package. The EB's I've handled have all seemed like very nice pieces as well, but I'm sticking with LB.

I have a LBC Premier II and a LBC Stinger. I have had both for several years. I don't understand the break in period, both ran out of the cardboard box just fine. I have never had any problems. They do loosen up after a few hundred rounds but I never found the tight fit a drawback. They don't loosen up like Kimber. Still tight but smooth.

I have let the Premier II go through several range trips without cleaning and yes you can get it to malfunction when it gets really dirty. It takes awhile but it can happen.

All you guys looking for premier II with 1.5 group , Gun Broker has listings sometimes
could save alittle $$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swordfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you guys looking for premier II with 1.5 group , Gun Broker has listings sometimes
could save alittle $$ </div></div>

I never seem to catch one on there. I see plenty of premiers but only seem to find other models in 1.5. I'll check more often... I'm also gonna check with proload. Thanks.

I understand it takes quite a few rounds to break one of those 1.5 jobs in. My stinger had more than a few hiccups during the first 500 rounds, but smoothed right out.

I've onwed 5 or 6 of each at one time or another. Both a very very good. The Baer is, I feel, the most gun for the money. However, they are very tightly fitted, and I don't particularly care for their thumb safeties or their MSHs. In my experience, they will usually shoot one or 2 loads very very well. The Ed Browns are usually more expensive, but don't have3 the extreme tight fit of the Baers. I also prefer Brown thumb and grip safeties and MSHs over all others. Again, in my experience, the Browns tend to shoot more loads very accurately, but the most accurate have been the Baers with their favorite loads. If I were to have to pick just one 1911, it would be the Ed Brown Classic Custom.