• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lest we forget........

The Challenger explosion was one of the formative events of my youth. I remember sitting on the floor in the school library watching on one of those AV carts with the TV strapped to the top. Suddenly the world was less safe.

I remember,--- I was under a truck fixing things when a CSP Trooper came by my shop and told me about it.
I was shocked and I cried.
Much like when I was in Math class when we were told about the shooting of JFK when I was in High School.
I cried then too.

How quickly people forget.

I remember vividly. I was working second shift and we all went outside to watch the launch (about 30 miles away). It was about 30 degrees up and suddenly blew up. Radio announcers were saying that nothing was confirmed, but we all knew and had that sick hollow feeling in the pits of our stomachs. It felt hollow and sad for days afterwards, maybe longer. Even now, thinking about it, that feeling comes back.

Oh and @Marinevet1, it’s “Lest we forget.”;):cool:

I was home watching on tv. Went and told mom it blew up. She said it didn't / was fine. A little bit later she comes in the room and see's the tv realized I was right. Later on that night my sister ran in my parents bedroom to tell them there were flames outside her window. Mom told her she was just having a bad dream because of the challenger. Turns out the chimney was on fire. 0 for 2 mom...

That video from the ground was shot by one of my clients. He was a cameraman that worked for all three of the major networks over his career, and filmed an awful lot of famous events.

I remember vividly. I was working second shift and we all went outside to watch the launch (about 30 miles away). It was about 30 degrees up and suddenly blew up. Radio announcers were saying that nothing was confirmed, but we all knew and had that sick hollow feeling in the pits of our stomachs. It felt hollow and sad for days afterwards, maybe longer. Even now, thinking about it, that feeling comes back.

Oh and @Marinevet1, it’s “Lest we forget.”;):cool:

I fixed it, thank you.......

Reactions: lash
I was driving to work just south Of Z-Hills in Fla an pulled over to watch the launch. It took about 2-3 seconds to clear the horizon an I had a good view with 10X binos. Was watching her fly when the explosion happened. The BIL was in the USCG stationed near Kennedy an was tasked to salvage it. All because Ray-Gun wanted the teacher to give a Saturday lesson from space,... Morton did not want to launch do to the seal temps that AM,... but the W/H wanted it to fly.

Reactions: Dewey7271
I remember,--- I was under a truck fixing things when a CSP Trooper came by my shop and told me about it.
I was shocked and I cried.
Much like when I was in Math class when we were told about the shooting of JFK when I was in High School.
I cried then too.

How quickly people forget.

I remember the Kennedy assassination like it was yesterday. Still pissed that no one ever went to prison for that.

One gunman my ass, his head went up and back.

I also remember the Kennedy assassination, I was 8 years old..........not near as much national media coverage as there is today.........3 networks ABC, CBS, NBC..........black and white tv......I also remember Lee Harvey Oswald getting shot in the parking garage of the Dallas PD.......

Was in school when it happened. My first year over in the US before going back (and then coming back again) so I thought it was a really cool thing in taking time out of the day to put all of us in the library to watch it on TV. It was also the 80s, so the 'go USA' thing was in full force and this was kind of a crowning moment from what I remember, as everyone, everywhere was talking about it for what seemed like months beforehand.

You could definetly say the launch, prior to takeoff, was an event.

When it blew up, even thought I was young, I knew something wasn't right. I can remember it still 'flying' and the possibility that whatever just happened was some space aged thing we just didn't know about (because basically none of us had ever seen a shuttle launch before), but seeing the multiple teachers in there look at each other at the same time with a slight panic on their faces told me everything I needed to know.

Took another 20-30 seconds before I think the majority of the other students figured out something bad just happened. The air went out of everyone like someone told you that Christmas was cancelled or something. I still find how its odd that I can't remember things from a year ago, but I remember details about what happened, where I was, dumb small stuff about that day.

Next 'big' event for me was 9-11.

Was in school when it happened. My first year over in the US before going back (and then coming back again) so I thought it was a really cool thing in taking time out of the day to put all of us in the library to watch it on TV. It was also the 80s, so the 'go USA' thing was in full force and this was kind of a crowning moment from what I remember, as everyone, everywhere was talking about it for what seemed like months beforehand.

You could definetly say the launch, prior to takeoff, was an event.

When it blew up, even thought I was young, I knew something wasn't right. I can remember it still 'flying' and the possibility that whatever just happened was some space aged thing we just didn't know about (because basically none of us had ever seen a shuttle launch before), but seeing the multiple teachers in there look at each other at the same time with a slight panic on their faces told me everything I needed to know.

Took another 20-30 seconds before I think the majority of the other students figured out something bad just happened. The air went out of everyone like someone told you that Christmas was cancelled or something. I still find how its odd that I can't remember things from a year ago, but I remember details about what happened, where I was, dumb small stuff about that day.

Next 'big' event for me was 9-11.
I have the exact same memory.