• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Let’s start a coyote thread.

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Really odd weekend. In the daylight we had several pairs and singles flying in to howls and mating stuff. In the dark, we saw yotes within calling range on every set and none of them gave a shit.
Here's one of two triples.
View attachment 8347376

I've noticed similar activity too. I had stopped calling last night for over an hour because it seemed pointless, and then two just happened to come through my area.

What gun setups are those? Specifically wondering what cartridge and barrel length.

Reactions: SupressYourself
I've noticed similar activity too. I had stopped calling last night for over an hour because it seemed pointless, and then two just happened to come through my area.

What gun setups are those? Specifically wondering what cartridge and barrel length.
My brother (Skeletor) is running a 24" 22 Creed. It looks really short because it's a Desert Tech SRS (bullpup).
I'm running a 22" 6 Creed AR10.

Reactions: Charlie112
275 yards on the nose. Had a cow die last week, and put her against a treeline. Hadn't had squat for coyote activity on it, so I'd just about given up on watching it from the kitchen window.

By chance I looked out yesterday morning and saw a pair feeding on it. Ran out in my underroos in 30* weather and got into shooting position on my concrete patio. I'm really starting to dislike the old frozen weenie position.

I was already dialed for the shot, noticed almost zero wind, so I quickly fed a round (fought for a second seating the mag) and then let fly.

I heard an impact, but the coyote took off like I never even touched it. It crested the rise immediately to its left and that was it. I was cussing myself, and then to make matters worse my wife was rubbing it in when I walked back inside because she thought I'd missed too.

The impact sound though made me wonder, so after I rolled out my first hay bale for the cows I walked over and looked. Sure enough, about 50-60 yards away there was a fresh yote carcass.

I guess I had drifted about 2" right on the hard quartering to shot. The placement would have been great for a broadside...but it would appear that I blew up only one lung, and probably took out the liver too. The 130gr ELD-M did a good job...I just didn't. I was trying for the point of the shoulder.

No pass through.

Treeline where he was shot is in the background. Looks like he fell, and tried to keep going at least once. Good blood the whole way.

20240213_074305.jpg

20240213_074342.jpg

Got out last weekend and made 5 or 6 stands in the morning. Called one in that a buddy ended up shooting at 6 yards with his .243

Called another one in on the last set that I shot with my 6 ARC and 58gr Vmax at about 20 yards. He just kept coming straight for me looking for the call so put one in his chest.

Of course I had been carrying my 1301 tactical with some 4 buck in hopes of calling one in close, told my buddy that morning I was tired of lugging two guns so left it at home. I knew as soon as I left it they'd come in close.

I'll add a picture when the app stops being buggy for me.

IMG_0671.jpeg
IMG_0676.jpeg
IMG_0673.jpeg
IMG_0672.jpeg
IMG_0675.jpeg
Took a new guy out and got him his first night kill last night on a simultaneous double. Has a hard charger come in on the first stand that I shot at 75 yards right in the chest facing me, just about gutted it with the 87gr VMax. Almost couldn’t find the entry on the one I shot when we doubled up.

Tell me about that barrel please. Looks like a Curtis Axiom action? I'm looking at ordering a CF pre-fit for mine now. Also, what cartridge are you shooting?
Barrel is a X-Caliber 16” 1-8t there “light weight” contour which is like .930 at muzzle. Action is a Kelby Atlas Tactical SA and this rifle is a 22 creed.

Scouting Report: DeWeese Reservoir (and surrounding BLM), CO

Was visiting some distant family in Westcliffe yesterday, so I took my gear with me to go have a look at DeWeese (never been there before, don't go west of I25 much). I hiked the west/north side of the area (south has a small area of buildings and cars coming/going), and saw absolutely nothing. Setup the call several times as well, and there was zero response to it. No scat, no tracks, no dens, no nothing. I don't know if this place is always dead, but it's quite dead right now.

300 Norma Magnum, 215gr Hybrid at 255 yards. Tough old gal still ran ~35 yards after I literally knocked the lungs right out of her (as in there were chunks of lung deposited from impact to where she finally stopped).

Hopefully the footage works because I blasted her right at first light, and you lose a lot of brightness with the Triggercam.

20240312_083712.jpg

20240312_075838.jpg

300 Norma Magnum, 215gr Hybrid at 255 yards. Tough old gal still ran ~35 yards after I literally knocked the lungs right out of her (as in there were chunks of lung deposited from impact to where she finally stopped).

Hopefully the footage works because I blasted her right at first light, and you lose a lot of brightness with the Triggercam.

View attachment 8370984
View attachment 8370985
I had a similar poi with a .308 168 ELD-M bullet. Sucker took off, but I landed a serious follow up shot. So not sure how far it would have run.
Take away: double lung shot and they’ll take off running, if only for a short while.
Tough creatures…

Also, increasing the exposure, black point, and shadow on your Triggercam vid can really help with dark videos. I do this on my iPhone and it makes very dawn/dusk videos at least discernible

I had a similar poi with a .308 168 ELD-M bullet. Sucker took off, but I landed a serious follow up shot. So not sure how far it would have run.
Take away: double lung shot and they’ll take off running, if only for a short while.
Tough creatures…

Also, increasing the exposure, black point, and shadow on your Triggercam vid can really help with dark videos. I do this on my iPhone and it makes very dawn/dusk videos at least discernible

Yeah. In this case I didn't realize that she was slightly angled. So it impacted on the point of the shoulder, but exited high lung.

I saw her get flattened, but she immediately got up. I wasn't concerned. I knew it was a good hit. She disappeared briefly behind a cow (I was shooting through a window of cows), and then she ran back across my view and rolled again.

I just went in and finished by coffee before I started putting hay out and then checked on her. I have several more photos that show chunks of lung and spatter from the impact as well as chunks of lung before she slid and died. It was one of those shots where I knew she was dead, I just didn't know exactly how far she was going to make it.

Similar to your 168, I hit one recently on a bad angle with a 130gr ELD-M. It took off and made it about 55 yards. But it took off like it wasn't really hurt. I had to watch the video before I walked out there just to make sure that I had actually hit. :D Left a ton of blood and piled up about 10 yards from where this last one did.

I'm a fan of the ELD-M on coyotes.

I am, of course, joking. The fact is 300 Norma Mag is, ah, enough for coyotes and that’s putting it rather lightly.

Well, I just watched the "video" from that 300 Norma kill.

It was too dark for the Triggercam to pick up worth a damn. I maxed out brightness and contrast in my editing software and you can barely make out what's going on.

That damn coyote took that round right on the point of the shoulder (quartering to) and shrugged it off (after she got up). Ho-Lee-Fuk was she tough.

I counted at least 6 pieces of lung this morning between where I shot her and where she finally ended up.
20240312_075712.jpg

I was just using 300NM because I have my buddy's MRAD SMR for another month. He left it with me to sort out a couple issues and develop a load (no actual issues were present). That thing is way more accurate than I would have imagined.

I want my own now.😄

I'll make it a dedicated coyote rig 👍

Well, I just watched the "video" from that 300 Norma kill.

It was too dark for the Triggercam to pick up worth a damn. I maxed out brightness and contrast in my editing software and you can barely make out what's going on.

That damn coyote took that round right on the point of the shoulder (quartering to) and shrugged it off (after she got up). Ho-Lee-Fuk was she tough.

I counted at least 6 pieces of lung this morning between where I shot her and where she finally ended up.
View attachment 8371359

I was just using 300NM because I have my buddy's MRAD SMR for another month. He left it with me to sort out a couple issues and develop a load (no actual issues were present). That thing is way more accurate than I would have imagined.

I want my own now.😄

I'll make it a dedicated coyote rig 👍
Yeah, she was tough.

You hit me in the lungs with that fucking 300NM and I’m going down like a sack of shit and if I’m lucky, just laying there wondering wtf? for a couple secs and then passing out for good lol

Yeah, she was tough.

You hit me in the lungs with that fucking 300NM and I’m going down like a sack of shit and if I’m lucky, just laying there wondering wtf? for a couple secs and then passing out for good lol

I shot 6 rounds with it on Sunday at 655. That load has been under a half-minute so far.

I put the Triggercam on to record it (you lose an inch of eye relief)...aaaaand very first shot promptly bounced it off my forehead 😄. Fortunately my hat snapback provided a touch of cushion. I held a lot firmer the next five shoots, but I was ruined and flinchy after the opener.

Hit my 2" aiming dot on the cold bore though! Almost put a 2" dot in my forehead too. Perfect example of a win/lose.

Even at 655 the impacts on steel are damn impressive.

258 yards, 6.5x47L with the 130gr ELD-M again.

I had given up on morning coyotes coming into the hog carcass, so I packed my buddy's 300NM up and put it away. Sure enough late afternoon in the rain...damn coyote eating on the hog 😄.

Fortunately I keep a loaded rifle or six in one of the safes. Quickly poked my head out and ran an ELD-M through the upper rear of his heart and both lungs. Made a damn fine mess. He went 0.

Itty bitty hole going in:
20240316_172950.jpg

Almost a golf ball coming out:
20240316_173030.jpg