• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Lethality of the 22LR- Results!

Re: Lethality of the 22LR- Results!

Before my Winchester 131 got stolen, I used that thing all the time to kill off all the stray cats around my place in Oklahoma. I had a lot of luck with the Aguila Super Calibri rounds. No powder, uses the primer to launch the round. 50 yrd was the longest shot I would take, but they sure got the job done and pretty much silent! Sounded about the same as a pellet gun.

We use a 22 single shot to kill hogs we butcher and I have found the standard solids work much better than the stingers .More penatration with solids the hp stingers expand too fast and will not punch thru the skull.I stopped buying the fancy stuff as the standard stuff works better.
Scot

Im an ER nurse and ive seen many gun shot wounds. I have seen several people shot in the back of the head with 22s and none penetrated the skull. But the back of your skull is pretty tough.

Great info. Nice to know what a 22lr WILL do.

longest kill with my 22 lr is 250 yrads on a decent sized doe head shot right in the ear the 22 lr is more deadly then most think
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: magman687</div><div class="ubbcode-body">longest kill with my 22 lr is 250 yrads on a decent sized doe head shot right in the ear the 22 lr is more deadly then most think
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Did you aim just a couple inches high too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apache</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: magman687</div><div class="ubbcode-body">longest kill with my 22 lr is 250 yrads on a decent sized doe head shot right in the ear the 22 lr is more deadly then most think
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Did you aim just a couple inches high too? </div></div>

LOL yeah I shoot on average 2 ranges at 125 yards and 300 yards

It was + 6.8 mils
842 fps
63 ft lb

Time in flight. 806

At 250 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember reading how Chris McCandless dropped a moose with a Remington Nylon 66, .22LR in John Krakauer's recounting of his Alaskan misadventure in Into the Wild. When the story was first published as a magazine article, peopled cried BS becuase they couldn't believe a .22LR would drop a moose.

A .22LR clearly isn't an ethical big game caliber...but another example of how it can deal out some death.

Great thread, mostly becuase it proves how important it is to respect any weapon. Complacency kills.

FYI...as is usually the case...the book Into the Wild is FAR BETTER than the movie. </div></div>

My Grand father was a full breed Ojibway indian. His only rifle was a single shot .22, I don't know what make.
His daily carry gun on his trapline for anything and everything.
My mom say's that was his do-all gun from geese to dropping moose to feed the 6 kid's.
A box of ammo would last quite awhile and none were wasted.

Speaking about lethality of .22 I think this discussion misses one very important factor. I did some research too on this subject a couple of years ago. Back then I shot tomatoes and oranges with subsonic round point and hollow point bullets some 3 feet away. There was a huge difference so that I couldn't believe my eyes! Round point bullets made just small clean holes, but hollow point rounds exploded tomatoes and made oranges empty inside with a 2 inch hole on the back side! It's scary. I'll have to test again to see if HP's works with longer range too.

I guess those who critizise .22 stopping power have got experience on round point bullets only?

Great Report- Hope no one forwards this to DOD....... Your test definately sets the standards!! I never tried the penetration but when we were teenagers we could consistenly shoot a pond from one hill top to another 800yrds away ( used the popular drop method of aiming- aim way up popular tree behind pond and watch it drop in ) actually did have backstop-

I'm looking to buy a GSG-5 pistol but I don't know much about them can any one give me some info that I should know

I like to come back to this thread every now and then for nostalgic purposes. Great execution, great write-up, and fun pictures. This is also the post that brought me to Sniper's Hide. A friend of mine sent me this link because we'd been talking about the effective range of .22s. Since then, I've learned more than a book of information on long range shooting, pistols, and things that should never see the light of day.

a pocket rocket will mushroom and split a vag like nobody's business

I find a copy in other forum... with pictures!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Lethality of the 22 LR standard velocity round</span>

fonte: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504301&fpart=1

I’ve been shooting the 22LR for many years and even bought a new bolt action 22 LR rifle (Savage Mark II BTVS) so I could train more cheaply for tactical precision rifle matches. As I started to train, I actually became impressed with what could be achieved with the 22LR in short and medium distances and wondered about the actual lethality of the round, so I decided to do some research in that area.

I mean, I know that the 22LR has been a good hunting round for small critters/varmints such as rabbits and squirrels but occasionally you hear it is used as well for killing deers, coyotes and bigger animals – heck, on the internet, you can even find a story about the elephant being killed with a 22LR on the internet, LOL!

During my research, I came upon several instances whereby the 22 LR has also been used by the military and law enforcement as well. There were several stories of Chechen snipers using the 22LR in urban setting or Israeli snipers using it in “crowd control”

I started talking to several many people through bulletin boards to find more information about the lethality of that round, specifically from a tactical viewpoint – I.E. How effective and lethal is it? Any information about its lethality should also of interest to the average target shooters or even plinkers, being that it is one of most available/cheap round. Having the correct information could make people more aware of the possible consequences of not treating the 22LR with respect - I think we’ve all heard “ It’s just a 22! It’s not that powerful, etc…”

To get back to the subject, talking to hunters on various message boards and filtering out the “I heard that or someone told me”, here are some of the typical feedback/information I received from people who actually did it:

Lots of varmint kills up to 150 yards (This distance came up the most).
Larger animals kills at shorter distance – Deer/Coyotes at 100 yards and some even 150 yards
Mention of a larger animal kill at 200 yards
Mention of actual rabbit kills at 175, 225 and 330 yards

Overall the distance of 100 to 150 yards came up in 50% of the responses.

To go back to the “tactical” aspect and the actual effectiveness/lethality of the round in military/law enforcement settings – no real information was actually available. There were lots of stories and hearsay of people getting shot with 22s and how effective it was (or wasn’t) but no ACTUAL and PROVEN information – the main feedback was that shot placement was the most important in a military/law enforcement setting but there were no answers as to what would happen if someone was shot with a 22LR at medium distance (200 to 300 yards). When would the round stop penetrating several layers of clothing/skin and become completely ineffective and useless from a tactical point of view.

Gathering all the information from hunters, target shooters, etc… I personally came up with the conclusion that the 22LR “may be” effective up to 200 yards and possibly penetrate several layers of clothing which are usually something like a “t-shirt, a shirt and a jacket” and frankly I would not have been surprised if it didn’t penetrate at all.

Actual information not being available, I decided to conduct a test myself to see how far would a 22LR round penetrate 3 layers of clothing and penetrate skin as well. I looked at several options such as using ballistic gel, wet newspaper, etc… but finally ended up with the cheapest option and, what I thought the somewhat most realistic as well: purchasing a frozen turkey, thaw it and wrap it in 3 layers of clothing. This would be a good test to see how far the 22LR would penetrate.

Here is an account of my “experiment” and Boy! Was I in for a surprise in many levels!!!!!!!

The test took place in the California desert at my usual shooting place for long distance shooting – far away from civilization and very safe. As it happens sometimes, nature has its own mind and does not always follow your plans. The weekend I chose and got ready for (including thawing the meat) ended up being quite windy.

How windy? Here is a look at my tent during the trip – yep, that’s the wind pushing the side of the tent nearly flat. Wind was an average of 25 MPH with gusts up to 30 MPH and lowest at 18MPH.

93142032.jpg

This was a nightmare for any rimfire shooter and frankly I was extremely close to just pack it up and go home after doing some shooting with my 308. I thought shooting the 22LR in these conditions (the wind was quite violent and shifting constantly between 18 and 30MPH) would be absolutely impossible.

The main goal of the trip was this research and I already purchased the turkey so I decided to at least “Try it” with much reservation as to being able to actually hit the target. Having participated in many tactical long distances matches over the years, I decided to follow my own hard learned lesson: “When in doubt, follow what the book says” or, simply, trust your ballistic information, instruments and basic field craft. Because I use the 22LR for training, I pretty much replicated my setup and had at hand all I needed such as ballistic data card for elevation and windage, wind meter and range finder.

45515980.jpg

The setup for the turkey was as follow: 3 layers of clothing wrapped around it and taped in the back (although care was given to not make the clothing too tight either) and a white paper on top so we could see the impacts at long distance.

45682910.jpg

The test was done at the maximum distance of 300 yards because honestly, I thought that penetration would probably not occur at that distance and because, above 300 yards, using my elevation knob and even mildots was pretty much useless.

A 400 yards shot is basically an 80 MOAs drop. Even shooting at 300 yards requires me to place my elevation for 200 yards (27.5 MOAs) and use 6.6 MILS (actually already off the mildots reticle so there is somewhat of a guess).

The clothing layers were composed of the following: One usual heavy cotton t-shirt, one heavy cotton shirt and a canvas raincoat.

65139842.jpg

The wrapped around turkey looked like this:

68945025.jpg

My son was with me and it took use considerable time to find the right location. Safety was definitely an issue but also, in order to have any chance to hit the target with winds that strong we had to shoot within the wind. Even then, because of the constant shifting of the wind from 7 to 5 O’clock, I had doubts we could even pull it off. So instead of 300 yards, we actually started at 250 yards which allowed me to use my elevation knob zeroed at 200 yards and my mildots reticle and thus “less guessing”.

As you can see the package is quite small at 250 yards!!!!!! The wrapped Turkey was a bit bigger then a human head, it wasn’t a big turkey to start with – I actually bought the cheapest one ($12)

15188215.jpg

We positioned ourselves on top of the Jeep. My son used my 308 and the Leupold 6.5-20X to spot me (if we could do so) and I shot the 22LR.

21713135.jpg

Equipment was as follow:

Savage Mark II BTVS in 22 LR
Bushnell 3200 Tactical Scope – 10X Mildots
Ammunition was Wolf Match Target – 40 Gr Bullet – 1050 fps

Note that shooting in that position was not the most stable and 25-30 MPH wind actually WILL shake you around. I calculated the wind cycle to range from around 18 to 30 MPH. It was a quick wind cycle with periods of 18 MPH lasting only a 4-5 seconds at best. I decided to shoot at the lowest point of the wind cycle and simply use 0 windage as I was shooting in the wind.

My first round went slightly to the left missing the target by a couple of inches, my second round did the same on the right side and my third one actually hit the small turkey dead center. I was actually amazed!!!!!!
I was ready to shoot 50 rounds in those windy conditions to have some “Hope” to hit the target because, from what I was told, the 22LR is so unstable in the wind at long distance. Yet despite the atrocious conditions – using elementary ballistic information and field craft, shooting it in 18 to 30 MPH was factually quite easy. From a tactical viewpoint, every single shot would have hit a center mass target.

Inspecting the 250 yards target was quite revealing…the bullet had gone through the 3 layers as if it was nothing.

Encouraged by the results and the fact that we could hit the target, we placed the turkey at 300 yards. I spotted for my son and he took the shots. Again we were amazed that despite the wind we had 4 hits out of 10 rounds!!! If someone had told me he can shoot such a small target in those conditions, before we did so ourselves, I would have laughed!

<span style="color: red"><span style="font-weight: bold">Here was the result: </span></span>

13209870.jpg

Note that the 300 yards round in the center seemed to have keyholed (go sideway). The probability is that the bullet hit some of the sage brush that was moving around wildly in the wind because no other impacts showed signs of keyholing and we were somewhat shooting through the moving brushes.

Now the huge surprise was the following. After taking the shot at 250 yards I was quite happy to see that the bullet had penetrated the 3 layers of clothing but I would have never thought of actually checking the BACK OF THE TARGET.

After shooting the 300 yards and taking back the target to the Jeep, we realized that one round had gone through the whole turkey, the clothing layers in the front AND the layers in the back as well!!!!!!!!!! And this had to occur between 250 yards and 300 yards. This was MUCH MORE than I ever had anticipated for the standard velocity 22LR round!!!!!!!!!!

Not only that but because the clothing was wrapped around and folded/taped in the back, it was the equivalent of shooting through 3 layers of clothing in the front and 6 LAYERS of clothing in the back plus on layer of duck tape!

84841610.jpg

We did one more shot at 100 yards and the round went through easily. The turkey was the equivalent of 7 inches of meat and bones.

24063330.jpg

Unwrapping the target showed that the rounds at 300 yards (assuming that the round that went through was probably the 250 yards round) went through the turkey and got stuck under the skin. Still penetrating 7 inches of bones and meat.

url]

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="color: red"><span style="font-weight: bold">My Conclusions:</span></span></span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">
I’ve gained a new respect for the 22LR and its efficiency. The 22 rounds is very underrated. In many ways, it is much more powerful then I anticipated.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">From a tactical viewpoint, it was also very interesting that despite the atrocious conditions, basic ballistic information and field craft (wind cycle, shooting in the wind, etc…) make it possible to shoot effectively that round at medium distances.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">300 yards can be a VERY doable and an effective shooting distance in normal conditions. We did it in terrible conditions.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Although I probably won’t do further tests, I can imagine that round penetrating layers of clothing and be effective at much longer distances then 300 yards –maybe 500 yards and beyond.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">But now I consider proven that within 300 yards it can be accurate and extremely lethal!</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hope this help others to gain more respect as well for the small 22LR and thus make sure we all practice safe shooting, even if it looks like a tiny little round!</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Gelatin Gel penetration and expansion results</span>

And here are the "Gelatin Gel penetration and expansion results" of various brands of 22LR bullet:

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/22lr/gel22lr.htm

Following conclusions can be drawn after studying the table given at the above link:

- Penetration: No significant difference among Federal American Eagle 40gr (11.5 inches), Federal Lightning 40gr (11.5 inches), Aguila Super Maximum HP 30gr (11.6 inches), Aguila Super SE Extra HP 38gr (10.8 inches), Aguila SSS 60gr (9.7 inches), Remington Yellow Jacket HP 33gr (9.3 inches) and Remington Subsonic HP 38gr (8.2 inches).

- Expansion: There is a trade-off between penetration and expansion. The bullet that expanded consistently i.e., CCI Stinger 32gr managed only 6.9 inches of penetration. Likewise Quick Shok 32gr expanded considerably but managed only 6.4 inches of penetration.

This shows that for close range (less than 50 hards), one should choose the bullets with maximum expansion capability while for ranges beyond 50 yards, the standard rounds are preferable, both from penetration as well as cost point of view.

Another thing to note in the table given is that 22LR ammo of 30 grains to 40 grains are more than enough to reach maximum possible penetration. However, heavier (higher grain) bullets do help in increasing flight stability and hence accuracy. Flight stability is critical especially in a light bullet such as 22LR.

To sum it up, over a period of time, and after testing and practicing, you tend to find out which ammo serves your different purposes at different distances.

THANK YOU BRAZILIAN for posting that again, i love this thread! It's a must read for EVERYBODY

Dylan

My son and I were squirrel hunting back in November and watched 3 coyotes coming our way, He had a 10/22 and I had my 77/22 All weather, I took what was a 97 yard shot, shooting mini mags, missed the 1st shot, second shot caused 2 to run and the other one to "lay down" as my son put it, changed my view of the lowly ,22 for sure

Neat story but I can't see any of the original pictures... too bad they are from 2008 and probably aren't hosted anymore.

going to run to town and trade all me belongins for a 22lr right meow and hopefully ill have a bit leftover for some badass glass and a carbon fiber bayonet to make the dirkas "lye down"

Excellent testing and write-up, DesertFrog.

I've always been inclined not to underestimate the "little twenty-two" and for good reason.

What I'm not getting is why so many people are responding to a report that basically says "the .22lr penetrates a lot better at 300 yards than most people suspect so <span style="font-style: italic">be bloody careful</span>" by saying "I wouldn't rely on a .22 for hunting/protection".

The point of the article is clearly (and a number of posters have quite obviously got it, so it's not that "subtle") <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> whether it'd make a good self-defence round or be suitable for reliably taking out game, it is to dispel the myth that the .22 is a relatively harmless round that does not need to be treated with due caution.

Given that the myth is so widespread, threads like this should be everywhere.

I've encountered a distressing number of people who seriously underestimate the damage a .22lr can do - and, frankly, those people scare the shit out of me: One such person averred that a .22lr can be reliably stopped by a wet heavy woollen coat at 50 yards and further declared that a .22lr semi-auto must be even weaker as the bullet loses so much energy cycling the action. He actually found it "amazing" that it would still have the energy to puncture a tomato skin at 50 yards.

He also seemed amazed that I said I never wanted to go shooting with him. Ballistics, basic physics and simple safety precautions - all equally incomprehensible to him, it seems.

One of the reasons that the .22lr is regarded by some to be "the most dangerous round available" is: so many people grossly underestimate it and so don't take due care when handling it or around it.

A fellow shooter also added: "its truly bastardly tendency to richochet off anything more solid than a stiff breeze..." and I think he has a fair point there, too.

I was raised to respect all firearms and treat them all as potentially lethal and/or harmful.

DesertFrog's post has given me a hankering to take out my CZ 452-2E ZKM and get some quantitative data on .22lr vs common materials at various ranges.

I shoot my 10/22 out to 300 also.To much fun.Walmart sells a scope called center point ($70)4-16x40 that has 6 mils on top and bottom.(cheap az scope but it has 12mils!)with a 50 yard zero 16x takes you to 150yds 10x takes you to 200yds(6mil) & 5x to 300yds (6.2ish) with no need to dial.

Great write-up.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

If you can find time, I am sure that many of us would appreciate it if you could make the accompanying photos visible again.

Again, great job.

Take care!
cool.gif

Every time the issue of the .22LR lethality arises in conversation with my mates, I ask em one question:

"Would you stand downrange at 50 meters and let me go to town?"

The answer is always the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tarn_Helm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great write-up.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">If you can find time, I am sure that many of us would appreciate it if you could make the accompanying photos visible again.</span></span>

Again, great job.

Take care!
cool.gif
</div></div>
OR..... you could just have gone through the whole thread and you would have eventually found out that it was re-posted with pics in the page preceeding this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaeger_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My son and I were squirrel hunting back in November and watched 3 coyotes coming our way, He had a 10/22 and I had my 77/22 All weather, I took what was a 97 yard shot, shooting mini mags, missed the 1st shot, second shot caused 2 to run and the other one to "lay down" as my son put it, changed my view of the lowly ,22 for sure </div></div>I feel its all about shot placement.

One of my cousins was shot in the belly with a .22LR and died. The round is lethal. It may not stop a BG immediately, but it certainly can kill. A difficult round for a surgeon to repair as it rips through the intestines making multiple wound cavities. Don't get shot.

Love shooting the .22LR great target gun. I am zeroed at 100 and can get 1/2 MOA on good days. Accurate and cheep to shoot.

Just the other day I was shooting Wolf Match .22 LR at steel spinner targets at 100 yards. I walked down to look at the targets after about a dozen hits and....it was denting the steel! I have similar targets designed for handgun shooting that have been hit much more than a dozen times with calibers ranging from 9mm to .357 mag at distances much closer than 100 yards...and they never showed that kind of damage. I ended up having to beat the spinners flat again with a small sledge and getting a friend to weld some heavier steel onto it.

I definitely would not want to be on the recieving end of that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every time the issue of the .22LR lethality arises in conversation with my mates, I ask em one question:

"Would you stand downrange at 50 meters and let me go to town?"

The answer is always the same. </div></div>

Pretty stupid stuff I know but as kids we used to do this, not so often with 22's it was usually with BB guns but one of my mates did get a pretty sweet hole from a .22, left a permanent scar. I've been hit in the head with a ricochet, it stung like a bitch.

If only there were paintball guns when I was a kid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mar2012</div><div class="ubbcode-body">going to run to town and trade all me belongins for a 22lr right meow and hopefully ill have a bit leftover for some badass glass and a carbon fiber bayonet to make the dirkas "lye down" </div></div>

C'mon now, kinder and gentler ...

I remember seeing an episode of cops a long time ago, and this really fat mexican dude got shot in the belly at close range with a .22lr...

Damn bullet bounced off his belly and only left a nasty welt! Cop called him super-man! lol

Alot of Doctors say that the .22 is one of the worst rounds to get shot with... they say it enters the body and bounces around, causing more damage to internals!

I took my first coyote at 150 yards with my old bull-barreled 10/22 and CCI Mini-Mags

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alot of Doctors say that the .22 is one of the worst rounds to get shot with... they say it enters the body and bounces around, causing more damage to internals!
</div></div>

This is truly one of the stupidest statements ever made, and even worse to be repeated. I think they even did this on mythbusters, <span style="font-weight: bold">THAT'S</span> how dumb it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember reading how Chris McCandless dropped a moose with a Remington Nylon 66, .22LR in John Krakauer's recounting of his Alaskan misadventure in Into the Wild. When the story was first published as a magazine article, peopled cried BS becuase they couldn't believe a .22LR would drop a moose.

A .22LR clearly isn't an ethical big game caliber...but another example of how it can deal out some death.

Great thread, mostly becuase it proves how important it is to respect any weapon. Complacency kills.

FYI...as is usually the case...the book Into the Wild is FAR BETTER than the movie. </div></div>

...I'll have to read that book because the movie was great...</div></div>

Damn that movie sucked balls..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alot of Doctors say that the .22 is one of the worst rounds to get shot with... they say it enters the body and bounces around, causing more damage to internals!
</div></div>

This is truly one of the stupidest statements ever made, and even worse to be repeated. I think they even did this on mythbusters, <span style="font-weight: bold">THAT'S</span> how dumb it is.</div></div>

Ah, not so much.

anything 22 can kill 308 can kill deader. nary the wondrament ceases to amaze.

Old thread... But great info

I have seen a yugo-produced .22lr. little machine-gun : accurate or not, I don't think was employed against the squirrels _ with or without flak vest,if someone comes from the wrong side of it,I think can really have a interesting experience.the last_

Nice post. I have used the 22 to take alot of small game and one deer. The round passed through the chest of the deer and exited. The shot was about 35 yards. The deer wobbled and colapsed. I would like to see continued upgrades to 22 ammo in the future because it is fun to shoot and still cheap. at least for today.

GA Outdoor News, Hall of Shame this month spotlights a guy who was addicted to & busted for night hunting.
He used a .22LR in unpopulated ares, bow&arrow in populated areas, busted for over 20 deer. He said he forgot the count & seldom lost a deer. Anyway it was quite a piece of writing & shows off the capability of a well aimed .22.
He was only fined a few thousand bucks, lost hunting license for 2 years & had 80 hours of community service.
In my honest opinion, the fines, etc... whould have beeen twice as severe.

I agree, .22 rimfires can be way underrated.

I have a Ruger 96/22 in .22 WMR and the new .22 mag bullets are FAR superior in ballistics and killing power than they used to be due to the use of jacketed bullets (not just guilded,as before) and special powders.
I've blown groundhogs heads nearly completely off at 75 meters with polymer tipped bullets.

Alot of people underestimate the 22cal but I have had to work several suicide calls with the weapon being a 22cal. I've heard other officers make the comment " its only a 22" and " I cant believe a 22 did that". The 22cal deserves respect for whatever your use is, whether it be plinking, competition or small game hunting.

Great work. I have always wondered what the capability of the .22 LR really was. I had always assumed that over 100 yds the round was useless. You definitely proved that wrong. Thanks again for the good first hand knowledge.

I've taught Hunter safety going on 30 years. Not much I've done for 30 years... but teaching Hunter Safety is one of those things.

Every year, at the beginning of the class, we hold up a 'little' .22 pistol. And a BIG rifle. My current favorite is my .458 Win Mag. And we ask the question: "Which is the most lethal?"

Trick question. They are both equally lethal.

A .22 will kill you (or virtually anything else) just as dead as a .458. I bet a good percentage of "Hide" members saw "Sweet Sundays Gone" as kids. It's been remade and updated. But is the classic Hunter Safety film based on a true story where a teen is killed with a .22.

For those in rural areas... poachers using .22's is nothing new. In fact, up here is undoubtedly the preferred weapon. F&G and ourselves have taken down more poachers with .22's than with all other firearms (or crossbows, snares, big car bumpers, etc.) combined. The .22 is the preferred weapon of the poacher, period. Drops white-tails almost instantly when shot in the nice, shiny, spotlighted eyes. Low report. Noone calls it in. Nothing new here. Been that way since before I was born.

.22 is as lethal as any firearm. That's why it's no more a toy than a .458.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: camocorvette

Around here in my neck of the woods I am always asked.Just what will you be shooting if we went to war right here at home with some one.I always say one of my bolt guns and a 22lr.Let me tell ya to how many times I have been laughed at.They just don't undestand do they.When asked the same question they always say an AR15 of some sort which is a great choice.

For me its not just the how much it can do or how bad it is.I have a great little 22 rifel the holds a 5 shot group really well.Plus the ammo is a lot cheaper to buy even able to carry a lot more of it.Heck I might just be able to get my hands on the ammo a lot faster when in need of it.But hey these are my thoughts and what I will be doing.

to the OP.You did a really great job of posting this.I have had to put up with the laughs for so long but now I will be the one who laughs at them.You just gotts love the little 22lr for many reasons.Plus for the most part combat is held at 300 or less yards.So your test shows me that I have made a great choice if the time comes to use my rifels for war.But hope it never comes to that.

American Rifleman has a good article this month on lethality of pistol loads from .22 up to the .500's. Interesting that the .22lr (I think CCI) penetrated ballistic gel 10+ inches and has a decent expansion factor... consider that it would bounce around given the small mass.... I shutter to think about getting hit with it.

Very nice write up. Great info on one of the funest, most affordable, and lethal rounds. Good shooting by the way as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaeger_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My son and I were squirrel hunting back in November and watched 3 coyotes coming our way, He had a 10/22 and I had my 77/22 All weather, I took what was a 97 yard shot, shooting mini mags, missed the 1st shot, second shot caused 2 to run and the other one to "lay down" as my son put it, changed my view of the lowly ,22 for sure </div></div>For a 100 yard shot, that's pretty good effect. Where did the bullet hit it?