• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Let's Have A Caliber War!

Re: Let's Have A Caliber War!

Whatever cal. the key is practice and don't get over-confident.

In semi-auto my top 3 are 9mm, 10mm, and .45. I don't really do a ton of revolver shooting, so out of those 3 which I shoot regularly compared to other calibers my favorite is the 10mm. I still love my .45's and shoot my 9mm's the most...well aside from .22, but I'm not including it. Then there are some calibers I just don't own or plan to, like .40, .38spl, .380, .50AE, list goes on.

So, if I could only have 1 handgun it'd be my 10mm Glock 20...just for the versatility it offers with 135gr noslers to 230gr hardcast and all the offerings in between. Of course, I'm not factoring in the cost...which is why I just got a press and will be reloading all my pistol calibers by the end of the year and working on getting rifle dies after that.

I have done a lot of ballistic testing at work and I have to say .40 S&W is by far the most versitile round in an automatic pistol. It is a great balance of power and capacity. .40 S&W almost matches .45ACP in most loads and by far outshines 9mm. Although, 9mm has come a long way over the years with the new rounds on the market. I only carry two rounds after all my testing and they are the Speer Gold dot and the Federal HST.

The Winchester T series (SXT) is an alright round, but glass kicks its ass.

I studied ballistics and all the available data for years before I decided I'd only carry a .40 or .45. Then I was assigned to a Violent Crimes Unit where I was exposed to crime scenes and autopsies on a regular basis. From that experience I have to agree with all the sage advise above that advocate SHOT PLACEMENT. All of the popular modern handgun rounds (9mm thru .45) are adequate.

I had a self inflicted investigation where a fellow discharged a .380 hollow point through his noggin. It went thru and thru, then thru the hollow core closet door, through hanging clothing, thru the wall behind the closet (both sheets of sheet rock), and into the metal front door at an oblique angle.

I've also seen several impressive .22 cal shootings where fatal injuries were dealt. Didn't the British SAS favor a .22 cal for close up elimination work?

I would favor shooting a caliber/handgun combo you can shoot well and shoot accurately--9mm/.38 thru .45. Most people can shoot a 9mm well.

For those of you who train regularly, a well controlled double tap is essentially twice as effective at stopping violent aggressors. The 9mm is one most people can learn to double tap with really well.

The other concern is penetration, or conversely, overpenetration. Full metal jackets and larger caiber rounds tend to penetrate barriers and heavy clothing better than the lightweights. What is good for penetrating barriers also can put innocent people downrange at risk when bullets fly under stress. Something to think about. A 9mm is a decent compromise where stopping volent aggressors with less chance of overpenetration is a concern.

An interesting case study: I was present at a crime scene where two criminal gangs shot at each other in a parking lot. A .45 round penetrated a car door where the window was rolled down. The full metal jacketed .45 round went through the car door/window pane, hit a rival gang member in the shoulder transected the chest cavity, from arm pit to arm pit and exited the other arm (quickly fatal). The bullet then stopped inside the other car door. Always be aware of what is downrange.

Different tools for different applications when it comes to protecting your loved ones from violent aggressors. In my experience, a 9mm is a fair and adequate compromise when choosing a self defense round. And to repeat what has been said already, well planned practice and training is crucial.