• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Let's solve this savage dbm problem

Re: Let's solve this savage dbm problem

I had an idea about using the side magazine guides from the G3, but I didn't really like they way it would sit in the magwell.

I have another avenue to pursue to correct this situation, but I am not quite there yet.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm... This looks excellent. I wonder if a similar mod can be done with FN SPR mags? If so, I think it could be a winner. </div></div>

I never actually looked that far into it when I had my SPR. I am sure that there is a good possibility to make that one happen too...

DK

If anyone is considering one of these magazines, I plan on making some kits for the do-it-yourselfer, or I can make them. Send me a PM if you are interested. Thanks!!

DK

BravoSix,

Hey Bro, since you sent me one to do the mods to it, I want to just say "Thanks!!"

Send me another and I will make all the cuts and modify the springs for you for free. It will be the epoxy version though, as the tabs (not reliable enough) are just too easy to break.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone is considering one of these magazines, I plan on making some kits for the do-it-yourselfer, or I can make them. Send me a PM if you are interested. Thanks!!

DK </div></div>

super stuff man. exactly whats needed. all other ideas or avenues of exploration can cease and desist. for the money, this seems ideal. im wondering how much a tig welder could help make this a super solid unit -vs- making it cost a bunch more.

to people wanting savage mags, try savage. also when you search "savage magazines" there is an actual magazine called "savage magazine" but keep looking. plenty of places showed them in stock.

z71rat,
Did you use the aluminum HK magazine (designated on cheaper Than Dirt as MAG 304 with "dimples")
over the HK steel mag (MAG 303 on CTD )for any specific reason?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BravoSix,

Hey Bro, since you sent me one to do the mods to it, I want to just say "Thanks!!"

Send me another and I will make all the cuts and modify the springs for you for free. It will be the epoxy version though, as the tabs (not reliable enough) are just too easy to break.

DK </div></div>

I'm going to take you up on that offer. Mag will go out tomorrow am. Thanks!
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Jano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">z71rat,
Did you use the aluminum HK magazine (designated on cheaper Than Dirt as MAG 304 with "dimples")
over the HK steel mag (MAG 303 on CTD )for any specific reason?</div></div>

I used to have the HK, and had about 50 magazines. I was actually looking for my M14 magazine and ran across the aluminum G3. I still can't find the M14 mag, so I just used what I had. It works really well too.

DK

Also, the aluminum is much easier for me to work with without going through $10 of cutting discs for each mag. Just sayin...

DK

OK guys, the first prototype is done. Thanks to axeman for the samples.

This holds 9 rounds just like the SSS - works great. The next step is a 10 round since everyone really wants the extra round. Then a long action mag and possibly one for the 223/204.

Still looking for a spring supplier if anyone can help out there it would be greatly appreciated. SSS uses 2 put together which functions just fine but one long one would be better. Also looking into using a coil type like in AR mags but fastening to the follower is the problem.

Would anyone be interested in an aluminum follower? That would allow options for attaching the AR mag spring. Obviously they would cost a bit more than the factory plastic but would make for a premium mag. Just checking interest before I put in the time.

ProtoMag.JPG

Proto%20Mag%20gun.JPG

Oh, I make the knobs too. That one is similar to badger size & shape with spiral fluting. I wanted something that would match the spiral fluting I do on the bolt bodies. They look sharp.

Hoping to have my website up soon with more info. Web designers seem to have an "unhurried" pace.

Thanks for asking.

Dan

Nice work!! I would think going with thne aluminum follower would be the best way to go about it. That would allow for additional options for springs, and you can get that all important 10th roundi there!!

I am glad to see others actually attacking this problem. I like my option as well, but you would be able to accomplish the longer length rounds that I will not be able to get into mine.

DK

Deadyeye ... great work! Am interested in ordering as well. Also interested in the .223mag.

Deadeye,

I don't know what the market will bear, but if you can make something similar for the FN SPR I think you would sell a lot of those, too.

OK Guys -count 'em - they all fit and function perfectly and yes that is 10 of them.

I will be making a run soon. Will be checking with the anodizer this week to see when they can fit them in and cost.

Parts are on order from Savage.

Will have some soon. Sorry for the poor picture - was using my phone.

10%20round%20Savage.JPG

Deadeye- If you can make those to sell at a comparable price to the SSS mags, I'm in for at least 2... probably more.

I am not sure what the market for them would be, but if you could make them for the 30-06 round I would take a couple.

I will have pricing very soon, waiting on some parts from Savage to know how much shipping cost me and anodizing.

I may GunKote the first few to save time if he can't get them in for me.

Getting the tenth round in there takes a bit more machining and different tooling but I plan to be in line with/near SSS price.

Working on a long action version too. Not sure about 10 rounds in that one but hope to get there.

Also working on an extended mag release lever as well.

Dan

Yes, please let me know how to order as I'm in. Also interested in .223 if you are considering that caliber as well.

Yea I would be in for a few as well.

Tag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... Also working on an extended mag release lever as well.
</div></div>

Great idea!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interested, but can't find any savage mags anywhere. Anyone have a line on some savage mags? </div></div>

The savage website has a "parts finder" feature. I've never seen it before today, so I think it's new. You type your rifle's serial # in and it brings up a schematic. You just click on the parts you want to order. Complete magazines are out of stock, but the components are all in stock. IIRC, mag boxes are $11, follower assemblies are $7, and floor plates are $16.

well ive got two SSS. ill get three of these new and im gonna get 5 of the G3 based 10 rounders too. finally we have a choice.

Tag... I'll take one for the 243 predator max 1 I haven't even purchased yet
grin.gif

ok im in also i have the new model savage 10 pc please pm me with cost. i will ship my mag to you and have you do the whole thing as my fabricating skills suckshit these days. thanks

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="color: #000066"> OK - I hope I've emailed and replied to all that contacted me so far. If I missed you, please contact me again at [email protected]

My site is up with information on the new <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">10 round</span></span> Savage magazines for the short action center feed 308 family and <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Extended mag release</span></span>.

I will be looking into offering a "kit" but currently am out of time and want to get these available. I have a small initial run, they work and function great.

As time permits, I will be doing a long action for the non-magnums and the 223 short. After that I will tackle the Magnums. That is going to require a lot more work and tooling finesse as 10 rounds will be a LOT deeper.

www.darkeaglecustom.com

Thanks for all the interest, hope you enjoy the site - it still needs some work but am learning how to build it as I go. It's steeling too much of my machine time but it gets the information out there.

Dan</span></span></span>

Those mags look nice! What is the approx wait time on a mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I kinda got tired of waiting around and nothing happening. I found a G3 mag that I had left over from my HK. I started measuring a few things checking it out to see if my idea would work.

I did a little dremel work on the mag body, modified my Savage follower, modified the bottom end of the G3 spring, and cut some tabs, and filed some edges. I belt the tabs outward, and inserted the tabs through the holes in the Savage magazine. It all went together fairly nice. I finished it off by bending the tabs around to use them as the magazine well spacers.

Bottom line is this... I have a FUNCTIONAL 12 ROUND MAGAZINE!! It isnt perfect mind you, but it works. I will be using this idea and purchasing another G3 magazine and taking my time. It should prove to be a better fit in the end, as there is a tad bit of play in the magazine.

DK

Savage10PC001.jpg

Savage10PC002.jpg

Savage10PC004.jpg

Savage10PC003.jpg
</div></div>

SWEET. Mine showed u for the "old Style" DBM and work well.

I will send a field test soon.

BMT

Received 2 10-round mags from Dan (darkeaglecustom) yesterday and all I can say is wow. Quality is there, they both load into my 10PC easily, they hold 10 rounds of 308, and the best part is Dan is GREAT to do business with and there was no wait. Hopefully will be out at the range this weekend.

I also received 2 mags from darkeagle and they are very nice. They are better looking than the 2 SSS i have and I am impressed with them. The finish is very nice, no machine marks, fit is very snug and they do hold 10 rounds easily. Also only had a 1 week wait time not 8 months, that was the best part. Thanks Dan great product.

Thanks for the nice comments. As I told each of you, try them out and give me feedback so we can improve anything that needs changing.

Though I didn't have any failures, I am still not 100% satisfied with the Savage springs so I am working on a more robust follower and spring combo. If it works out better, I will send one to any of you that have the current spring.

Thanks again,

Dan

Savage10PC003.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWEET. Mine showed u for the "old Style" DBM and work well.

I will send a field test soon.

BMT </div></div>

Glad to hear you like them. Let me know how they run for ya!!

DK

I received 2 mags from deadeye on thursday, well this weekend I was able to get to the range for a little relaxation. I loaded both magsjust to do a function check and both fed without a single hiccup. I then put 60 rounds threw both mags and they worked flawlessly.

It is nice having choice, besides SSS, especially 2 choices.

DO NOT ORDER FROM SSS!! I asked for a refund on my mag that I ordered 7+ months ago and I have had to request that they refund daily for almost a week now with no refund yet! Lisa keeps trying to hold me off by saying

March 28th
" I will gladly do that for ya but just wanted to let you know we are coating them "as we speak".
We will definitely be shipping THIS week.
"

March 29th
" I just want to let you know that we will begin shipping tomorrow.
I will be glad to cancel.
"

Between these 2 emails back was my 2 and 3 request to cancel my order! Been asking daily since the 28th for my refund. They say they are "Glad to cancel" but doesn't seem they want to cancel my order as requested politly multiple times.

I would not buy anything from them with this poor service. Not to mention at the time of order nothing was said about no mags in stock let along not even being made yet or a multiple month wait!!!!

Want my money back so I can order from deadeye and this is BS what SSS is doing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juliomorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received 2 mags from deadeye on thursday, well this weekend I was able to get to the range for a little relaxation. I loaded both magsjust to do a function check and both fed without a single hiccup. I then put 60 rounds threw both mags and they worked flawlessly.

It is nice having choice, besides SSS, especially 2 choices. </div></div>

OK everyone,

I am getting feedback now from the guys that jumped in to get the first mags I ran. I have had great reviews on fit and appearance.

I also got good reviews as you have seen posted above, on function. I have however had a response saying the spring just doesn't seem strong enough.

As you may have seen my previous post, I am already working on this for a more robust design than what Savage uses.

I am in the works of a complete make-over of the follower/spring combination using an AR style spring and a custom aluminum follower.

I will not be sending out any mags until I am happy with the new design and anyone that already has the original will be sent one of the new style follower/springs or I will have you return it so I can install it for you (once I am happy with the function).

I want all to be happy with them so I can get repeat business - I appreciate all the responses and help from everyone.

I have already made a prototype that addresses the spring/follower and it is very nice. I need to figure out how to produce more and they will be ready to go.

Thanks again for the support,

Dan

Sorry for the poor picture - I used the phone to take it.

The new aluminum follower and spring combo seems great. I am waiting on springs and will start a run of the followers tomorrow.

newfollower.JPG

Recieved a ten-rounder from z71rat, looks good and his service was very fast. Hopefully good weeather this weekend for function check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recieved a ten-rounder from z71rat, looks good and his service was very fast. Hopefully good weeather this weekend for function check. </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words Brother!! Keep shootin...

DK

Waiting on my 10rd mag from deadeye
smile.gif
. He was still in development and finished and shipped on to me within a week where SSS was 7+ months and "shipping" when I told them I was done waiting

Currently using my daughters laptop because <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">I just got home to look at my emails (on the Darkeagle Custom computer) only to see the blue screen of death!</span>
mad.gif

I got our local computer guy to come back to the shop to take it in tonight but he won't look until tomorrow. I have most things backed up but can't tell you how many programs I will have to reload that can't be backed up. And of course the backup is no good until you have the computer back running to reload the data. Man that sucks - I have one of those love hate relationships with computers - mostly hate right now.</span>
mad.gif

Anyway, just an update that the aluminum followers and AR springs are working very good and I am contacting the guys that I have already promised mags to in the order they contacted me and I am just starting to gain ground filling orders so hang in there - I will be in touch with you.

More on the way as time and money permits (and my computer gets fixed).

Right now it's limited but moving along and I am beginning a second batch next week so I can catch up with the demand and keep them in stock.

I appreciate the support from you guys as I have spent a small fortune just with Savage for mag parts and now that I am changing to the AR spring with aluminum follower I have a ton of factory followers and springs that I can't return.
frown.gif

For those asking of other sizes, I am working on them as time permits.

I've got a custom rig to get done for one of our Marines in Afghanistan and a 338 for a good friend who was patiently waiting for me to get the shop open.