• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets talk about benches and press height

Sidk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Vegas
First let me start by saying I have a trashed back. I've had a spinal fusion and and now going through shots in the spine. About 6 months after I started to reload my back pain started to reappeared. Now my leg pains have diminished greatly, I'm still pretty damn sore after sitting in front of the press for a while.

So those of you that do have back pain, how is your bench setup? Mine is on an old desk, at the desks standard height. Would it be helpful to raise the press? I know some of you have had to go through back pain and reloading, just curious what you have done for ergonomics.

Re: Lets talk about benches and press height

Mine is set up so I stand and reload. Way better then sitting. Put yours up on blocks and see of it helps.

I get back pain from the chairs at work and my bench top is belly button height. I did this so I could reload while standing, as i usually dont want to sit after being at work all day. If I'm doing case prep I sit on a standard height barstool, which is perfect for the height of the bench. I can put up a pic when I get home.

I started standing and that's when this last round of pain started to almost put me on disability. I went to sitting because I thought it would help. Now I'm wondering if I mount the press higher if that would help.

I have a bum back too. On my third bench I got it right, that was some 35 years ago and I still wouldn't change a thing.

No matter if you sit or stand, block your press up so you can fully depress the lever without bending. Makes a world of difference!

And, if you want a new press, consider a Lee Classic Cast or Classic Turret because they have levers that are fully adjustable for length and angle. We can easily mount the press flat on the bench and still make the lever work without pain.

Good luck!

If you can picture this.
I have a piece of plate bolted to the concrete floor. I have a piece of trailer hitch stock that is about 3 feet long and another piece that will slide inside it that is about 3 feet long also. It has another plate welded to it as a stand that I can bolt my different presses to it as well as a vise.

I have several holes in it to adjust height from low to very high. I welded a couple of nuts at the junction in the middle and use a couple of bolts that push against the inside tube to make it all real solid. Takes out all the slop.

Works great and press changes take only a minute or two.

Fuzzball, how high? About chest level? Both my presses are Lee's, one classic breach lock and a turret.

Mechanic, cool idea. Would be easy to build if I still had my mig welder. Hey I'm a retired GM tech for over 30 years.

Looks like a new bench build is in the cards.

It would depend on your height and reach. Raise the press so when you are at the down stroke you don't have to bend. Try different heights that give you the best leverage without having to bend. Use one of those rubber mat on the floor to help with fatigue.

Just curious - how did the spinal fusion work out for you? I just had an MRI done on my back. I'm hoping I don't have to go that route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuzzball, how high? About chest level? Both my presses are Lee's, one classic breach lock and a turret.

Mechanic, cool idea. Would be easy to build if I still had my mig welder. Hey I'm a retired GM tech for over 30 years.

Looks like a new bench build is in the cards.</div></div>
It was real easy to build and with some gussets at the bottom it is rock solid.

So 30 years huh? GM got 21 out of me. Along with a few others due to multi-franchise. What did you do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just curious - how did the spinal fusion work out for you? I just had an MRI done on my back. I'm hoping I don't have to go that route.

</div></div>

Mine turned out great. I was pain free for 9 years, however, I suffer from really bad arthritis in my back and have degenerative disk disease. I actually went to a surgeon and begged for the surgery, but he didn't want to do the operation because its a continuation of the first surgery and there is a high probability that I will be worse off after the operation. First one was S1-L5 and now I need L5- L4 fused. I'm on shots now. My leg still goes numb and tingles with cold spells, but I'm not so bad I can hardly walk like a few months ago. Looks like I need another one soon but this time it will a nerve channel blocker.

I'm redoing my complete reloading room now, painting and rearranging so now is the perfect time to build or modify while its tore apart.

Just finished a new bench. Made it 42" high. Works well standing. With an Aeron work stool by Herman Miller, it works great sitting down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rugrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just finished a new bench. Made it 42" high. Works well standing. With an Aeron work stool by Herman Miller, it works great sitting down.</div></div>

Holy crap, $1150 for a stool. That thing better do sexual favors too for that price. I have to admit though, that's some pretty nice stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First let me start by saying I have a trashed back. I've had a spinal fusion and and now going through shots in the spine. About 6 months after I started to reload my back pain started to reappeared. Now my leg pains have diminished greatly, I'm still pretty damn sore after sitting in front of the press for a while.

So those of you that do have back pain, how is your bench setup? Mine is on an old desk, at the desks standard height. Would it be helpful to raise the press? I know some of you have had to go through back pain and reloading, just curious what you have done for ergonomics. </div></div>

Sorry to hear about your back pain. I used to have an old desk with a printer table right next to it (about the same height) but that got old really fast - had to keep moving my chair back and forth.

Then I moved my stuff into the garage and worked on my bench there (about 42" high). But I don't have to tell you about the weather in Vegas and how hot a garage can get.

I ended up building one of the benches here:

Reloading Bench

My loving wife let me convert one of the bedrooms into a reloading room. I find it more comfortable to load ammo while standing.

Good luck and feel better!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuzzball, how high? About chest level? Both my presses are Lee's, one classic breach lock and a turret.
</div></div>

So, what makes your back hurt? Bending\leaning over to get the ram all the way up?

Check out this thread (At the bottom of thread)

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466073

I set up my T7 on a stand that I welded together and bolted to the floor. Very sturdy, I figured the height by being able to rase the ram all the way just before my elbow locked out. works great for me
DSC00046.jpg

"Fuzzball, how high? About chest level?"

You're thinking from the wrong end, it's not how high the press is, as such, that matters, it's how far down you can press the lever without bending over. My height would only work for you if both our presses and we are the same!

"Looks like a new bench build is in the cards."

Make your bench whatever height you find comfortable for routine work. Then block up your press to whatever it needs to be. I used 3/8" x 20 All-Thread rod for my long bolts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1in9twist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out this thread (At the bottom of thread)
</div></div>

Oh hell yes! That looks like that may help. Thanks. Anyone else want to see them here is the link.

http://www.inlinefabrication.com/LEE.html#Lee_Classic_Turret_Press

Fuzzball, I wasn't asking for your height so I could duplicate it. I just wanted to know what you thought was comfortable.

7inthickreloadingbench11-19-2011-1.jpg

Reloadingbenchshelf12-4-2011.jpg

My doctor looked an x-ray of my spine and said he had never seen a perfect spine on a 40 year old, before then. I had no sign of Arthritis.

But my feet hurt. They do not like elk hunting in the mountains with no trail. I need things under benches to put my feet in different positions.

I have built lots of reloading benches, and never paid for them. I get benches, desks, or wood being thrown out, and recycle it into reloading benches. I just start making layers until it is heavy enough, stiff enough, and high enough. Sheet rock screws will quickly fasten wood so securely that King Kong could not pull it apart.

The other thing I do is build a little shelf between me and the bench. Kind of like things sitting on my lap, just a hair higher, and much more level. It just under the swing of the press levers.

Stand up. Put your arms at your sides and relax them. Then bend your arms at the elbows so your forearms are parallel to the ground. Measure the height of your fingertips when you do this. I find that the most comfortable workbench height for me is about 2" lower than that, perhaps with a section that is higher if I need to be closer to a piece of work for a shorter period of time.

One rule of thumb sometimes used is that the bench should be at a height such that when U stand next to it and place your hand on the bench, your elbow shoulc be at a flesion angle of 30 degrees. Obviously vaires depending on your height and arm length.
customize to this parameter and it may be more comfortable. Also it is helpful to have something on which to rest your foot when U stand .ike the rail in a bar. This takes of the strain in the back because it flexes your pelvis and reduces lumbar curve
(lordosis).

My bench top is 41", the press is at 43".

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm 46 with a good back, but after 2hours reloading (I stand) on my workbench which is 35 inches high, my back is sore and I never really thought much about it until now. It's 100% because I bend at the waist when I pull the lever down. I'm going to reset everything as instructed above, about elbow high - 2" by blocking up that side of my workbench. I also highly recommend a good quality anti-fatigue floor mat, my feet never get tired, just by lower back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PanaDP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stand up. Put your arms at your sides and relax them. Then bend your arms at the elbows so your forearms are parallel to the ground. Measure the height of your fingertips when you do this. I find that the most comfortable workbench height for me is about 2" lower than that, perhaps with a section that is higher if I need to be closer to a piece of work for a shorter period of time. </div></div>

That is what I did. I am 6'7" though so no one else can use my workbench. Most painful thing for me to do is the dishes in a regular height sink.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..
So those of you that do have back pain, how is your bench setup? </div></div>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vkT_s4jerLQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vkT_s4jerLQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
I set up a little shelf between me and the press.
When I load the press with the same hand as I operated the lever, I am running the press one handed.
If I operate the press with my right hand, and lean to my left, my right shoulder will be vertically aligned with the base of my spine where I sit on the chair. The unused hand is planted on my thigh for stability.
I can do a cartridge every 3.5 seconds with my right hand.
I can do a cartridge ever 3 seconds with two hands.
I can do a cartridge every 4 seconds with my left hand.
I have done 900 cases today.
My back quickly get tired with two hands.
My back very slowly gets tired with one hand.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">If I switch back and forth between left hand only and right hand only, <span style="color: #FF0000">then my back never gets tired.</span></span></span></span>

I learned something.