• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lets talk cases....

lycokayaker

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2022
NJ
Like the title says.... What type of case are you guys running for your PRS rifles? I know there are alot of money tied up on our PRS rifle and I jumped into the deep end on a build and have a soft case. What are you guys running or have run and don't like. Help save me some money and only buy once..

I have what I think is the best hard case out there and 10 out of 10 times I take my galati gear drag bag. It's very secure and well padded, it has a mat that covers the rifle while stowed and you can shoot off of when open and it's a ton faster and lighter to use. The big hard cases are nice for air travel and that's about it honestly. This is what I have and I love it. Its been super durable too and will hold up long term.

There's one other premium brand that's nice but it's about double the cost of the galati and not worth it to me. The galati is fantastic.

Reactions: camocorvette
I have a Nanuk 995 hard gun case which is super nice but find myself using the Savior Double Gun bag in 55” from amazon most of the time as it is just easier. It is also a really nice bag and will even fit my rifle with suppressor attached (26” barrel and 7” suppressor).

I have a Nanuk 995 hard gun case which is super nice but find myself using the Savior Double Gun bag in 55” from amazon most of the time as it is just easier. It is also a really nice bag and will even fit my rifle with suppressor attached (26” barrel and 7” suppressor).
The Nanuk is the hard case I was talking about also. It's awesome but it's so big and heavy it's just so much easier to use a quality soft case

Reactions: Rexman
Dont put a $10k rifle in a $99 case and expect to come off an airplane they way you checked it in…if you are not flying you can cut corners but be warned by guys who learned the hard way!

Reactions: lycokayaker
That is why I have the Nanuk hard case for when I fly or if I know my stuff will get thrown around. Otherwise, if throwing only my stuff in my truck I find the soft case much easier to deal with.

Also, I wasn’t sure about the Savior case but was surprised as it is nicer than what I expected and well padded.

That is why I have the Nanuk hard case for when I fly or if I know my stuff will get thrown around. Otherwise, if throwing only my stuff in my truck I find the soft case much easier to deal with.

Also, I wasn’t sure about the Savior case but was surprised as it is nicer than what I expected and well padded.

My savior case has held up really well. I can carry everything i need in the one soft case. For flights i use my pelican, it was pricey but I did not want to take chances on an international flight.

Reactions: Rexman

I don’t to foam in my hard cases. I just put the soft cases in them when I travel.

we have been using moving blankets instead of hauling cases around for us It's easier to move around from truck to motel room and back to the truck and range not as much protection as a case .

If it’s me and one other person our guns go in the back seat in soft cases. If there’s 3 or more of us, gun goes in a Pelican hard case in the bed of the truck.

You guys put your $10k rifles in cases? Hell mine goes in the back seat lol
I fold my backseat down so I don’t scratch the leather seats but basically this lol

No case unless I fly. Then it’s pelican.

Soft cases for me, hands down, for driving to ranges or matches. Hard cases are too heavy and take up far too much vehicle space, and the protection isn't needed. My centerfire rifles go into Scoped Rifle Cases, $65 from UniqueCases. I came across these at a gun show pre-pandemic; they're made in West Virginia and are no-frills & well-constructed. After three years of hauling PRS-weight rifles to a range or match 2-3 times a week, my two cases are still in excellent condition.

For all that, though, my Vudoo gets moved in a cheapie Midway case i grabbed off a prize table.

My rifles don't need to be protected much from getting bumped around in a vehicle. I just want to keep them from getting scratched up!

I haven't needed to fly anywhere with a firearm in decades. If I did, I'd have a Pelican or similar-quality hard case. Of course, a locked hard case is a requirement for checking a firearm onto a commercial flight... but back in the day I remember seeing a photograph of a rifle barrel poked through the side when the cheap case was thrown by a baggage handler and landed hard.

depends on which rifle. Hard case from Harbor freight or a soft case that I picked up at a gun show similar to @Rexman amazon bag. I dont travel very far and dont fly with them.

I've never flown with a rifle, but have driven out of state several times for competitions or matches. I highly recommend the Armageddon Gear Precision Rifle case:

My buddy and I have this case for our rifles and we carpooled together when we went to the GAP Grind. We had the trunk packed full of stuff and our rifles were kept safe. I highly recommend this case.

I picked up one of these 3 years ago and it fits my needs very well. Hard shell when traveling state-to-state or if needing to fly and soft when going to the local range. It’s big enough to hold my 26” w/ 419 Match Hellfire. The other nice part is the soft case hold my mags, 9” can, and a copy of my tax stamp.

Pelican / Soft Case Combo

Reactions: Sblzrd65
I have way too many cases. I really like my Boyt hard cases when flying. But they are heavy and I usually already have a ton of steel that I’m taking back and forth to the range.

I like the Plano Air Glide cases for going back and forth to the range.

Unless you plan to fly forget the hard case and get one of the many drag bags or soft cases. Going to matches the rifles go in my drag bags. They fit better in the truck and easier to get around and carry more gear. Hard cases have their place but unless you need the extra protection then leave them home.

Exactly. Hard cases only needed if flying, but there is no reason to not go with Pelican/Storm if you are.

For non air travel, hard to beat a AG soft case for the money. You dont need a drag bag but you want enough padding to protect everything in there.

These were the shit when you could get them for $250 shipped : https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...k_coy_472_pwc_dw3300_fieldpak_rifle_case.html

Wish I would have bought 5 more at that price. Bag is Berry Compliant USA made by Eagle.

You want the 3300 , Its just long enough to take a 26" barrel with a big brake. Pelican 1750 should work too.

That soft inner Pelican case that fits inside a 1750 looks great. I've been using a Savior case often for a little less than two years. Overall holding up okay. The corners sag a bit, the inner support form shows usage. Also one of the outside pockets is ripping from the bottom. Logistics design wise though, the extra front pockets and separate zippered areas are nice. The straps to use like a backpack are a bit too narrow for me.

its a hard case.......top loader. Looks like a soft...but its not.

No love for the $100 apaches from harbor freight?

After I added $40 worth of cut it yourself foam I haven’t had any complaints.

Gentleman, this has been one of the very best posts/threads in the history of the Internet. Looking for a case for my new rifle. Have a Pelican but heavy is the word, hard to find cases that fit precision rifles and many of them are chinese made junk.

So, thank you, I now have some real choices and good, made in USA choices.

Honestly, any soft case with back straps. I thought they were silly at first but oh my, they make it SO much easier to navigate through a stairwell in a little house. With everything being in line with your body you don't have to wiggle a long 15 pound case around doors.

Hard cases only make sense if you're flying or want to throw your stuff in a truck bed without regards to what you throw on top of it.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
When I built my first rifle I bought a pelican hard case with the intensions of using that but quickly learned that was stupid and just use a soft case, especially since I normally keep the gun in the back seat. I keep the hard case with future plans of flying

I just found a Pelican 1750 on OfferUp for $130 locally. :)

You can buy replacement foam for $40 from Cobra foam and custom cut to your needs.

I only use the Pelican for air travel though, any local matches or going to the range it's just a cheap Midway drag bag. I've had that thing 5+ years and it's still going strong.

Reactions: kthomas
Just picked up a Savior case from Amazon. Seems to be built well enough. Was really considering one of the TacOps bags, but haven gotten far enough into the hobby to justify the cost. Really do like them though.

For regular range use, Eagle HSRC if you can find one. Holds the rifle tight and it folds out to a shooting mat. Hard cases are too bulky and heavy to constantly haul around every week for shooting.

For regular range use, Eagle HSRC if you can find one. Holds the rifle tight and it folds out to a shooting mat. Hard cases are too bulky and heavy to constantly haul around every week for shooting.
20211215_153015.jpg

Love my OG Eagle drag bag/mat.

It's great for a clean range.

But go to anywhere with dirt and shitty weather. That sweet mat you shot on all day and got wet/dirty all day. Is now the case for your rifle. Sure you lift it up and shake it off, but there's still crap all over it.

I still use it. But most of the time I'm using a double rifle case with backpack straps. I have a savior 54" and some other similar case in 48" they work great and keep my rifle clean and safe.