• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets talk layers

30calDeath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2010
North Idaho
So I am buying all my hunting gear at the moment for my trip in October and need to buy some layers. Ill be using a soft shell jacket but dont know what other layers to buy/use. How many layers should I be looking at and what kind? Brands? This is for an Elk hunt 2nd week of October in the San Juan mountains of Colorado could be as cold as 10* or so all the way to 50*+. Thanks!

Crye Precision.

Or something like northface columbia patagonia.

We were always taught to be slightly uncomfortable under worst combination of layers and weather. Pack multiple small light layers to make fine adjustments throughout the day that can be stowed on the go but keep your heavier stuff accessible for dusk to dawn hours

You need to look at these guys, First Lite, they make a few different thicknesses of merino wool. By far the best clothes you will own. I trashed all the polopro clothing after buying some of this. The thin layers are great and the mid thickness is awesome. You will be surprised how good this stuff is. I live in the Chama QZ mid weight all winter.

Home page

Last edited:
I also elk hunt the same area... I have seen a wide variety of weather conditions, but most of the time, it's 30-55. I never end up using my incredibly heavy gear, so I'm thinking about packing in a lighter rain shell from FirstLite. Wet, cold, and windy - I can handle two, but not all three.

Preston

I dress for mid day temps layer/shell wise and start and finish with a quite gore type overlayer tops and bottoms along with a heavier hat for monring and afternoon. The one I use is the cabelas MT050 pro jacket and bibs. It is very quiet and you can take it on and off during the day without having to disrobe or take your boots off. Will also have you covered in case it rains.

Cabela's MT050® Pro Rain Jacket : Cabela's

If you don't need your inner layers to be camo my suggestion is merino wool from IceBreaker or Outdoor Research.

Last edited:
I also elk hunt the same area... I have seen a wide variety of weather conditions, but most of the time, it's 30-55. I never end up using my incredibly heavy gear, so I'm thinking about packing in a lighter rain shell from FirstLite. Wet, cold, and windy - I can handle two, but not all three.

Preston

It seems like you just need to plan for wether you are hiking in and then maybe sitting a while. It is easy to pack that extra layer or two when needed. I also have the down jacket they make, it is made from a synthetic down that will keep you warm if you get wet. These guys are just into the clothes they make and they all hunt and spend time outside.

It seems like you just need to plan for wether you are hiking in and then maybe sitting a while. It is easy to pack that extra layer or two when needed. I also have the down jacket they make, it is made from a synthetic down that will keep you warm if you get wet. These guys are just into the clothes they make and they all hunt and spend time outside.

That's good to hear.

Ironically, when I say I never end up using my heavy gear, I don't mean it isn't with me; it's usually tied to my saddle.

If only there was a FirstLite retailer around me...

That's good to hear.

Ironically, when I say I never end up using my heavy gear, I don't mean it isn't with me; it's usually tied to my saddle.

If only there was a FirstLite retailer around me...
There might be. They make claims the light layers of merino wool are better to wear in 80 or 90 degree days as well. They made some short sleeve stuff new this summer. Check their website for retailers near you

The other thing about the merino wool is it won't smell as bad as the polypro stuff. Way better product for hunting.

Last edited:
A light weight down vest or pullover is a super versatile layer to have. They are light and compact as well as very warm and depending on the shell materiel they are wind proof as well.

Companies like Sitka, Kuiu, Kryptek, and First Lite cater to hunters all have 'clothing systems' to suit your needs. But you can surely substitute in garments from outdoor brands found at places like REI. Marmot, Patagonia, Smartwool, etc...

I'd be looking at a quality merino base-layer (top & bottom), a wind cutting mid-layer top, durable 3way stretch pants w/DWR treatment, a packable 'puffy' insulating layer, and a wind/waterproof hard shell outer layer(top & bottom).

Round it out with: Darn Tough merino socks, plus quality beanie hat, gloves, & neck gaiter...

Have fun!

Companies like Sitka, Kuiu, Kryptek, and First Lite cater to hunters all have 'clothing systems' to suit your needs. But you can surely substitute in garments from outdoor brands found at places like REI. Marmot, Patagonia, Smartwool, etc...

I'd be looking at a quality merino base-layer (top & bottom), a wind cutting mid-layer top, durable 3way stretch pants w/DWR treatment, a packable 'puffy' insulating layer, and a wind/waterproof hard shell outer layer(top & bottom).

Round it out with: Darn Tough merino socks, plus quality beanie hat, gloves, & neck gaiter...

Have fun!

Good wisdom. I have spent hundreds upon hundreds of days at high elevation in the rockies. All doing moderate to heavy exertion with periods of stopping. Backcoutry Skiing with no snowmobiles and hunting mostly.
Any good base works, I use patagonia, works best for me (love wool but it bugs me when i sweat much). I wear mid weight wool pants (whipcord) and gaiters. I have worn softshell pants a lot of times too, depending on weather. Wool sweater or fleece and a lightweight softshell on top. A baseball hat above 20, beanie below 20, lightweight windstopper gloves that offer good trigger manipulation.
In my pack: pants and jacket of lightweight Waterproof material, Oversize on jacket, gets used rarely and overized can fit over next item to block wind and moisture and trap
Heat, A lightweight down jacket or sweater in my pack, spare light gloves, big mitten and heavier hat.
Spare socks!!!
I like to start my hikes cold. Pretty damn cold for the fist 400-800 yds moving quick. Then I am not overly hot the rest of my day or stopping to shed layers a bunch.
I have trouble with cold feet, but plan on using antiperspirant this year to keep them From sweating which is, according to our Experts from AK experience here on the hide, one of the big problems with this.
The only "hunting" designed stuff and brands I have are things my wife bought me because my friends told her they seemed cool. Most of it is just good quality outdoor gear. Check out GoLite too. Cheap at outlets, light weight which is huge when hiking 10+ miles in mtns daily, and holds up crazy well for me so far. I hike a ton and sit very little so YMMV.
Have fun and update in the huntig thread with your success story and pics!

You need to look at these guys, First Lite, they make a few different thicknesses of merino wool. By far the best clothes you will own. I trashed all the polopro clothing after buying some of this. The thin layers are great and the mid thickness is awesome. You will be surprised how good this stuff is. I live in the Chama QZ mid weight all winter.

Home page

Just bought the Allegheny EXP bottoms, Chama QZ top and 2 pairs of the Mountain Athlete compression socks. Ill find out how much I like this stuff on the 10th or so of October. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lets talk layers

Looks like good stuff.

I hunt the Colorado mountains and use a mix of gear. Patagonia base. Russell outdoors APX insulation layer and Kuiu outer layer. I also have some gortex rain gear but have not had to use it yet.

Normally I am good with the base and outer layers. Kuiu and other hunting specifics come in handy as they are purpose built, stretch, have vents and pockets. The only thing about hunting in Colo is the orange requirement. Would be nice to have a Kuiu jacket in orange.

Last edited: