• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets Talk Triggers

bornhunter04

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2011
STL, MO
I have an 18" AR 1:7 with SPR contour barrel, I started shooting 3 gun a few months ago and am thoroughly addicted. Last night at a small weekly match, I felt like the 2 stage geissele SSA-E might have been a hinderance and that I might need to switch to a good single stage trigger.

So now I'm looking at the geissele Super 3 Gun triggers and the JP triggers.

I'll be using the rifle primarily for 3-gun, but would still like to bang steel out to distance every once in awhile, won't be doing too much accuracy work with it anymore since it wears a vortex 1-4 now.

On the JP triggers, is the speed hammer necessary? I would like to ensure I get the most accuracy out of the rifle to make up for the loose nut pulling the trigger.

Which trigger do you guys recommend?

If you go with the JP make sure to get the complete kit with the speed hammer and anti-walk pins. The geometry has been corrected on the sear engagement surface so the trigger doesn't cam the hammer down prior to releasing like the mil-spec systems do. You will not find a better single stage trigger out there.

If you go with the JP make sure to get the complete kit with the speed hammer and anti-walk pins. The geometry has been corrected on the sear engagement surface so the trigger doesn't cam the hammer down prior to releasing like the mil-spec systems do. You will not find a better single stage trigger out there.

I concur...I had the full kit in my SPR and it was amazing (if you go this route, make sure to take your time setting it up for the best possible results) or, send off your lower to JP and have them install it. If it's not just right, you will feel creep & over travel - another option is the Timney drop in 3lb unit (I have 2 of these as well and they are fantastic).

Here's the JP -

vwy3c5.jpg

23kw276.jpg

Here's the Timney (Skeletonized version) -

2mr64y0.jpg

ETA to clarify: I have several...actually a total of 8 Geissele triggers in my AR15's & AR10's; 2 Hi Speed's (DMR & Match), 3 SSA-E's, 2 S3G's (Super 3 Gun), and 1 SSA. For a 2-Stage or, the Super 3 Gun Hybrid (it's not a single stage trigger as, there is take-up/movement in the trigger prior to the sear releasing the hammer) they are stellar. However, since you're looking for a true single stage trigger - JP or, Timney based on my experience, I've also heard that Wilson Combat & Chip McCormick make a fantastic drop in Single stage trigger as well.

If you're wanting an old school feel of a tuned Remington trigger - no detectable movement in the trigger whatsoever...slightly increasing trigger pressure & bang (then JP, Timney, WC, or, CMC)! But, if you don't mind the trigger slack take up prior to the sear release & bang - Geissele is your trigger.

The single stage & 2 stage are two completely different animals. I like variety in my rifles - that's why I have several of each. Your best bet is to actually fire or, at least dry fire a Geissele and either a JP, Timney, Wilson Combat, or, Chip McCormick...once you do this, your preference will be know based on the type of shooting you plan to do.

Last edited:

The Iron Law of the First Post, yet again.

My only bitch about the JP set-up is the very small hex head pins. Sort of like crush washers, just plan on replacing them. Very small hex fasteners strip out at the mere mention of my name. JP, are you listening? Use larger head pins, for dumb asses, such as my self with gorilla fingers. Order a couple replacements, they won't go bad, you will use them, they don't cost much, and it sucks to be sitting there with stripped hex head pins, and all of the cool kids are shooting.

Take a look at a CMC 3.5 straight trigger.

I simply think its the best on the market.

Sarge

Sarge
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trigger opinions are like assholes, everyone is going to have one. Try a few and see what you like.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Trigger opinions are like assholes, everyone is going to have one. Try a few and see what you like.

Absolutely ... "Chevy or Ford" discussion !!! Nexus fire is spot on - try several find one that works for you.

Sarge

Sarge

I own a JP LRP-07 and believe it or not JP triggers are very sweet but I will be one to tell you that if you don't have experience installing triggers then Geissele might be a better choice due to the fact that JP triggers can be a bit of a pain to install. Now if you don't mind sending your lower reciever to JP then I would go with JP. Again Nexusfire said it best, everyone will have their own opinion, Geissele, Timney, and JP are about the 3 best out there.

I have both of them. Both are on 16in barrel rifles. The Jp I have has the speed hammer and breaks like glass. Ive had one for years and been very happy. The GSD 3G is a weird trigger. You truly can't tell when its going to go off. Its useless for anything but quick shots. Its a fast trigger and drops right in. The Jp needs you to time the disconnect and fit the safety. Try to demo the 3G before you purchase it. They are both great choices. Even the Rock River two stage is pretty good for the money.

I do not use race guns or competition guns in 3gun. I run serious use carbines only, tac optics or limited class. I've run the SD3G and SD-C for about 3yrs now. The local 3G matches ALWAYS include a 400-500yd target array. Almost always involves prone/magazine point of contact (bipods and slings not allowed in my class). I shoot striker pistols as well.

I greatly prefer the SD-C for all-around use, 3gun and serious use. For long range it is very predictable. Short range it is still very fast, faster than my LMT 2-stage. When testing ammo I always go for the SD-C or LMT 2-stage. I might be partial to the 2-stage designs due to my striker pistols. Heh.

The SD3G is not a glass rod break. Like Geissele says, it's more of a carrot snap and there is a bit of creep. I didn't care for it on the long range. A competition shooter might find the SD3G has a shorter reset/ultimate speed advantage over the SD-C. I don't think it has much of one--the SD-C is just as fast for me. The SD-C's reset length is almost a full reset of the trigger position.

I don't care for the JP or CMC; I have a lot more confidence in the G for serious use durability. But if you're racing, the other posters are right on--you need to try the JP and CMC.

fn_form have you ever shot with a JP trigger ? I have not met anyone else who said that they did not like it. I love mine, only problem I could see was that it is a pain to intall. I have shot geissele triggers and one timney and all 3 were excellent triggers but to say that you don't have confident in a JP trigger is bull I have 2 friends that have had JP triggers installed on their rifles and have shot over 10,000 rounds without a single hiccup in either one. Now I will agree that all 3 are equal, but not better. More of a personal choice than anything else.

Gotta agree with this.....

That being said, I have quite a few different single and double stage triggers. Geissele triggers rock, personally don't care for the 3G version though because I also like a nice clean breaking trigger for longer range. I have been happy with my Chip McCormick trigger and have really enjoyed the Timney 3lb triggers. The JP can take a little tinkering, but it is a nice trigger. I usually use a Timney in my 3-gun rifle setups.

Geissele...and don't look back.

Geissele all the way. Own several of them in different rifles, no two are the same though they look it.

The 3 gun trigger is nice, it is FAST, but it leaves a lot to be desired when taking a long shot. It is a fast, quick break and you won't feel it coming. SSA-E is their best non-adjustable (which is good for anything you might bet your life on) and that one has very distinct stages and is awesome for long shots.

Due to the drastic differences in these two triggers, I keep two identical built lowers to swap out when I need one or the other.

The Hi-Speed is the nicest one, but has adj. set screws, which may or may not be an issue for you. If not, this one has three different weights you can set it at using 3 spring packs, as well as the geometric tuning on the trigger itself to isolate the pull. It is also lighter, thus having a faster lock time. I use this one in my no-shit built to the hilt Grendel.

Wilson Combat makes some nice triggers too, in particular look at their 3gun and single stage setups. Rock solid if nothing else, but for 3G I still prefer the Geissele.

If you're looking for two stage triggers, GEISSELE. In my opinion they're the best. I have 5 rifles with various Geissele Triggers in them. Built 7 for others and always install Geissele. If you are going to use machined parts, Get the ones made by a quality machinist. They work super well if you learned how to pull a trigger properly to begin with (feeling the stops--understanding the pull) you'll be amazed with Geissele.

fn_form have you ever shot with a JP trigger ? I have not met anyone else who said that they did not like it. I love mine, only problem I could see was that it is a pain to intall. I have shot geissele triggers and one timney and all 3 were excellent triggers but to say that you don't have confident in a JP trigger is bull I have 2 friends that have had JP triggers installed on their rifles and have shot over 10,000 rounds without a single hiccup in either one. Now I will agree that all 3 are equal, but not better. More of a personal choice than anything else.

I stated my usage to be clear about my opinion. I shoot Glocks and Geissele, not 1911s and fitted/adj AR triggers. YMMV, keep the "bull" to yourself.

FWIW, I e-mailed Giessele Re: trigger spring replacement intervals. They advise the hammer spring be replaced every 10k for the SD series. A few armorers I trust advise 5k for a GI type trigger. I'll have to check my Colt Armorer materials and see what it says... if anything.

Would the S3G be a good trigger for CQB work?

I did patrol work, ALERRT class and other FoF classes. Gloves, cold weather affect trigger feel/pressure. The SD3G doesn't have much room for error. I would not use my SD3G in that role.

I just found that Geissele customer service is amazing.

I have a High Speed DMR in one rifle. I was looking at a High Speed Service or Match for an HBAR. A DMR came up for sale on the Hide, so I contacted Geissele about the difference, and found is is the springs. So I asked about getting the different springs. They asked for my address and shipped me a set of each spring set at no charge.

Would the S3G be a good trigger for CQB work?

i have 3 of them, i primarily shoot AR's with gloves 90 percent of the time and love that trigger. to each their own in preference but i absolutely love it for CQB type work.

I have been preaching Geissele since my first one back in 2005.

After trying KAC's latest 2 stage............It gives G a run for the money.

I would say KAC if its already in your rifle or Geisselle(price/value)

During the last drought of parts and completing my A/R, I couldn't get a Geissele anywhere. I got a Wilson direct from Wilson. I am very happy with it. No problems with a variety of loads and conditions from freezing at 19 degrees F to 95 degrees F, with no problems from it.