• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets talk triggers

Thanks to hookedonbrass for his generosity in letting me try out his TT and Timmeny triggers on hi beautiful rifles (y)

Im thinking single stage as I dont care for creep...not even if its Joe Biden.

Fell in love with the TT Diamond...
Have 6 on rifles and a few extras waiting to be installed at some time... cant say enough good things about them. One of the reps was at a match last gear in my squad. Nice guy.

I have a TriggerTech special on a oem R700 action and its going to be replaced by a Bix because due to its design, can’t adjust for sear height - the TT won’t always cock the action especially if it’s run too fast or if the rifle is pointing too upward or downward which simply doesn’t work for hunting in the mountains when you can have 20-30deg of incline. I’ll probably put the TT on a Defiance anTI - when it arrives and I have a TT Diamond on order for a RimX action - hopefully it’ll be reliable.

The adjustable sear height and different top sears allow the user to really dial in the trigger timing, which has a huge impact on how an action feels. This is a brilliant feature that I'm surprised other trigger manufacturers aren't incorporating in their products.

I once installed a TT on a TL3 and that combo felt like a bag of smashed assholes. Way too much sear engagement, and I didn't have a way of making it feel good without getting it sent off to a gunsmith. Ended up selling both the TT and the TL3. I know others have been successful with this combo, but I was probably a victim of tolerance stacking.

That's the problem with triggers without adjustable sear engagement - you can't optimize the trigger/action interface easily, and I think a lot of people don't realize the performance they are leaving on the table without it.

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
The adjustable sear height and different top sears allow the user to really dial in the trigger timing, which has a huge impact on how an action feels. This is a brilliant feature that I'm surprised other trigger manufacturers aren't incorporating in their products.

I once installed a TT on a TL3 and that combo felt like a bag of smashed assholes. Way too much sear engagement, and I didn't have a way of making it feel good without getting it sent off to a gunsmith. Ended up selling both the TT and the TL3. I know others have been successful with this combo, but I was probably a victim of tolerance stacking.

That's the problem with triggers without adjustable sear engagement - you can't optimize the trigger/action interface easily, and I think a lot of people don't realize the performance they are leaving on the table without it.

I agree, not sure why the TT don't offer a model with adjustable sear height - if you look at the sear height chart - it's easy to see how much of a difference there is between R700 and clones

Reactions: kthomas
First, I'd like to say Hi and introduce myself, this being my first post here. I've been competing in 'cross the course' [XTC] competition since 2007 and have, through treachery and trickery, been classified high master. [The 'high' in that always gets me].

On single stage vs two stage.
In XTC many/most competitors settle on two stage triggers to help with releasing the shot when the sights are centered.
We like to start putting pressure on the trigger in the final phase of aiming so we don't have to go through the initiation of putting pressure on the trigger. You can use a single stage and simply put pressure on it, but that requires you get really good at holding the pressure without the trigger releasing.

Our slow fire stages are about 1 shot/minute; even our 'rapid fire' stages are about 3-4 seconds between shots.

Maggot, I would first ask what the the primary purpose of each gun, blasting, bench shooting, hunting, competition etc... and follow up with questions along the lines of:
-How are your fundamentals?
-What is your goal weight for trigger pull?
-Are you looking for single stage or two stage?
-If you're using for hunting, are you in a blind, hiking the high country in a snow storm or sitting on the edge of field in a tree stand?
-Are you ever going to be wearing gloves while shooting? Do you have sausage fingers? Both of which drive do you have enough room in your trigger guard to use a flat trigger shoe without running the risk of a negligent discharge every time you shove your fingers in.
-Do you have any nerve damage, arthritis or some other debilitating factor impacting your fingers or hands?
-What type of trigger surface do you prefer, fat/wide, flat curved, thin, groves, adjustable?
-How well does each gun fit you? Can you adjust the gun's fitment?
-Do. you have a side bolt release?

Admittedly, you might end up at the same answer depending on how you respond to these, but some of the questions above may eliminate potential triggers. Unfortunately, like many things, triggers to me are a personal preference item, that requires hands on experience to find what you really like. That said, there are limiting factors depending on brand so more info would be required.

TT is apparently still working out the kinks on their two stage, but they do have flat and curved triggers. Timney has flat, curved, adjustable / replaceable trigger shoe and single / two stage triggers. Jewells are as Rob pointed out are like a Swiss watch, but that makes them more susceptible to foreign matter and some of them don't include a safety or a bolt release button.

Also if you haven't experienced it yet, friends don't let their non-shooting friends with sausage fingers shoot their 2oz triggers nor loan out said gun for them to hunt with. Another concern is I don't want to drop a 2oz trigger out of a tree stand in the hopes that sear is going to hold.

Trigger Techs are excellent triggers. If they fit your requirements, I can say I haven't had any issues with my 3 and would buy again. I shoot the Specials because I don't see a justification for the extra $100 for the Diamond. Most guys I know wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two if they were blindfolded and the triggers were adjusted to the same weight. I also don't need to go below 1.5# on a comp or hunting gun

I have Timneys as well and I love my Calvin Elite, it has over 10k rounds and dry fire on it with out an issue.

I run Geissele on my ARs but have no experience with them on my bolt guns and probably wouldn't try one unless it was a gift given my satisfaction with the TTs and Timneys.

I also have Jewells, but they are on dedicated guns and I see no need to swap them based on cost and effort. They server their purpose, but I won't be intentionally purchasing any in the future.

As for your MVP, it looks like JARD also makes a drop in for it as well.
The Geissele for the Rem 700 has a heavy first stage and a lighter second stage. Personally, I like my two stages the other way - light first stage to initiate trigger control and a similar/slightly heavier second stage so I don't pull through. Something like 6-8oz in the first and 8-10oz in the second.

First, I'd like to say Hi and introduce myself, this being my first post here. I've been competing in 'cross the course' [XTC] competition since 2007 and have, through treachery and trickery, been classified high master. [The 'high' in that always gets me].

On single stage vs two stage.
In XTC many/most competitors settle on two stage triggers to help with releasing the shot when the sights are centered.
We like to start putting pressure on the trigger in the final phase of aiming so we don't have to go through the initiation of putting pressure on the trigger. You can use a single stage and simply put pressure on it, but that requires you get really good at holding the pressure without the trigger releasing.

Our slow fire stages are about 1 shot/minute; even our 'rapid fire' stages are about 3-4 seconds between shots.

Welcome to the Hide, friend, and thanks for your input. This has turned out to be a great thread.

The Geissele for the Rem 700 has a heavy first stage and a lighter second stage. Personally, I like my two stages the other way - light first stage to initiate trigger control and a similar/slightly heavier second stage so I don't pull through. Something like 6-8oz in the first and 8-10oz in the second.

Welcome to the Hide, Noobie/

wait till you buy the one someone else likes and find you don't that's even more fun but always part of life .good luck hope it all works out for you .

I've been running geissele for a while now and can't say enough good things about the super 700 on my delta 51.