• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Letter idea thread

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    @lowlight

I am a very good writer when I sit down and actually focus on it. Don’t judge me by forum posts, those don’t count;)

I agree with lowlight that a mass, unified letter campaign would be a good thing to push back against this anti gun agenda a bit.

Please submit your ideas, talking points, bullet points, etc here and I will aggregate them into a letter for group approval.

Keep your leftist communist hands off my fucking guns, the fires of hell would be easier to tame then trying to take my guns.

Letter complete. Feel free to use as your own
    Dippy's ideas are great, and I agree with his thinking, but I think we get more people on our side with honey than we do with $hit or a shovel in the face.

Like has been brought up before, emotion must be used instead of logic since this seems to be the only thing they can relate to. Emotion with positive results from our side will start the unindoctrination.

I have no desire or need to negotiate or play nice with anyone so far from reality yet so unable to understand something like the constitution.. time for writing letters is long over. It was over the second fbi Took a dads guns for a comment his son made if not before. It was over when cops showed up at a lawful citizens house and shot him when he refused to give up guns. I am more concerned for the coal your waisting by writing these letters online for this fruitless endeavor than any emotions of any idiot that thinks I give a shit what he thinks about my rights. I took a oath as so many before me.. and I will use any and every weapon to defend it.. especially my ar. In fact when they come for my guns I will upgrade my gear with all kinds of stuff I already paid for, delivered right to my door fully loaded.

@MK20

Ok, so this probably won’t be as eloquent usual, but I’m 3 glasses into Angels Envy and it’s 2am. Here is my contribution. Feel free to modify it, rip it to shreds, make it better or whatever. It’s 893 words...

Hi, my name is . I am writing to you tonight to implore you to stop the divisive rhetoric that is constantly in the media about gun owners in this country. All too often law abiding gun owners are somehow labeled as criminals, or even more recently NRA members called terrorists by politicians in California. This kind of speech is downright dangerous on many level and frankly the silent majority is growing tired of being made out to be the likes of criminals all because we have a passion for hunting, protecting ourselves, patriotism or just the overall stress relieving hobby of shooting. Its our version of golf. Everyone has their hobbies that they enjoy yet for whatever reason some people seem hellbent on stripping our rights to ours based off of some knee-jerk reactions to some bad apples that just happened to use a certain tool to carry out their evil. Believe me, we are just as pissed off and saddened as anyone else about these incidents, but cooler heads prevail. You cannot legislate away evil. But, before I get to longwinded I just want to say I am not here to preach, but I woud like the opportunity to fairly defend my shooting community.

You see I hope to represent responsible gun owners and the shooting community in positive ways, instead of allowing the media to cast us all in the same stereotypical negative light. As a community we are doctors, lawyers, IT Professionals, policemen, firemen, airline pilots, military, plumbers, electricians and more who all share the same common interest of the shooting sports and the preservation of this great nation. And, that’s not all. We are father’s, Christian church leaders, other religious leaders, mentors, patriots etc. who help out in all aspects of our communities. I have personally given out food at the local soup kitchens, helped my neighbors in need, helped on habitat for humanity projects, donated money to shelters and so forth because I love my community, I love my country, my church, my God and all of my fellow brothers and sisters. You could call us Difference Makers.

In fact, I have recently joined a group called Good Guys With Guns. It is a group that was created to help spread positive views of gun owners while providing money, tools and resources to projects brought to our attention. Recently, we helped a teacher with autistic children get some much needed books that were not provided for via local educational funding. We wanted these kids to excel and felt compelled to get together and raise the money needed for this teacher and her students to get the books that they so desperately needed. And, we raised the money in less than 24hrs. That’s what the Difference Makers, your local good guys with guns, can do.

Another recent mission was for our group to provide for a family of a police officer that was hurt on the job. They were having a hard time making ends meet while this officer was undergoing surgery and physical therapy for the injury he suffered while providing for his community. I can give you countless examples of similar stories of people, other groups even, that Good Guys With Guns has provided for. As you can see, we are far from insane criminals, or terrorist that the media wants to label us as. So, please stop grouping us with those that actually deserve those labels. You are only hurting innocent people.

Furthermore, please stop taking everything the mass media puts out at face value. Do your own unbiased research and see where that takes you. Reach out to a local gun owner, as most of us can spit out facts and stats that will most likely surprise you. If you actually take the time to do your research then you will find that, according to the CDC, assault weapons cause very few deaths per year, especially when compared to other things like malpractice, drunk driving, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, heart attacks, food, distracted driving, abortion and so on. Something like less than 400 people per year are killed with a so called assault rifle. That’s well below less than 1% when considering a nation of this size. There are literally more people killed each year with hammers than what some like to label as assault weapons. If the objective was really to save lives don’t you think we should be trying to address any of the examples listed above, which kill far more innocent people a year than guns? Think about it.

Lets be honest here, any further restrictions on guns only harms responsible gun owners like us. Afterall, criminals do not follow laws, that’s what makes them criminals. Unfortunately, you cannot legislate away evil. If we could then it would have already been done. Drugs are illegal, yet we still have a drug problem. Do you see where I am going here? If anyone wants to have a real, reasonable conversation about guns, to discuss actual stats and so forth, we gun owners are more than willing to educate, given the opportunity. Before you jump on the bandwagon of “we must do something” please take the time to really educate yourself as we aren’’t just discussing the future of guns, we are discussing the future of this country. Thank you for your time.

Reactions: TACC
    Already posted elsewhere:

"America is a Nation/Republic of Laws. A Constitutional Republic. The 2nd Amendment outlines the Creator given Right to keep and bear arms in order to protect the Republic at an individual level and these Rights shall not be infringed. This is the law and many Americans have taken the oath the defend the Constitution and this Republic against all enemies foreign or domestic. I am an American and have taken the oath - I am a law abiding, tax paying citizen of this Republic and cannot allow criminals to force/enforce illegal laws. The voiced threat against The Constitution to disarm law abiding citizens of this Republic is illegal - it is infringement and denial of fundamental Rights and I am oath and duty bound to defend this Republic and it's Constitution against all attackers and criminal intent be that threat foreign or domestic in nature. I am not only exempt from following illegal laws, I am bound by oath to resist and defy these criminal actions and crimes against our Nation and The Constitution.

There is a clearly defined and legal Way for those who would seek to disarm The Citizens of these United States of America and this Republic. You must convene a Constitutional Convention and repeal the 2nd Amendment. Until the enemies of The Republic and enough citizens follow the law and amend The Constitution I must resist any and all attempts at enforcing or enacting illegal anti Constitutional legislation. By oath I am duty bound to defy/resist criminal actions against the Constitution of The United States of America.

To those who feel they have the support and numbers to remove my arms, you must change the laws - you must repeal the 2nd Amendment before you proceed if you hope to proceed legally.

Good luck with your endeavors."

I really don't think a "letter" is gonna help at this point - what is really needed is a study to accurately diagnose exactly why people are going nuts in larger and larger numbers and mass murdering. We all know it's not the guns (it's a tool) so *WHAT* is the malfunction? So long as we concentrate on The Tool as the problem the real failure will not be discovered. At this point in time it is important to remind people who are rightfully screaming "We have to do something!!" that destroying the Constitution and depriving people of their Rights is Criminal....O'Rourke started a ball rolling that makes him unable to be president! He has advocated that we disarm law abiding citizens thus depriving them of their Rights guaranteed under the COTUS!

He is advocating criminal intent. If people really want to disarm America they *MUST* convene a Constitutional Convention and amend the Constitution before anything else. That's my point...if one really wants to take my guns there is a legal precedence and that is to repeal the 2A.

VooDoo

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    Sitting at a forum, attempting to write a cohesive and compelling argument. Tough call.

My thought this Sunday morning is inspired by a Beto tactic which was a snippet as I spanned the dial.

"Do the right thing", this is a leading bug planted in the ear prior, and to conclude, a vomit of nonsensicals. However, Might we all consider that as an American citizen it is required to do the Right thing to be free men and a contributing and valued member of a free society. The Right thing is to honor what it is to be and to defend both life and human freedom with honor.

A good starting point is that Free men are free to create a society, i.e government, that fosters life and liberty. To ensure that freedom, all free citizens must ensure that no individual or group can threaten these Freedom we have declared among ourselves. The ability to prevent a 'government' from crushing and destroying our Declared American freedoms is the Right thing. We must defend our ability to think through Free speech and from physical intimidation and coercion through our second amendment.

We, citizens, mutually agree to be civil and considerate to ensure equal access to the individual pursuit of happiness. The Right thing is to ensure we can defend ourselves from the mob mentality we suffer in the the form of a government body. History has proven that a form of government is a necessary evil and in that understanding we must always be prepared to keep that evil 'in check'.

The right thing to do is to ensure that bad and evil remain in check. A wise man knows that evil cannot be eliminated. Therefore, to remain free we must always do right.

[Not sure if this makes sense. The gist is my view and practice but the essay is not well formed]

If y’all really want to write a letter to a politician, you should simply demand that the constitution be followed. Demand red flag stops now. Demand any lawful citizen striped of his guns be reunited or compensated to a amount decided by a tribunal of 2a supporters that are known in the firearms industry. Demand any politician spouting of unconstitutional stuff be barred from any public office. Demand the media cease and desist its attempts to vilanize guns, whitey, Christians, ect. These politicians so quick to trample on the constitution don’t realize without it the gov has no actual authority..

Letters won’t do anything. We have a Colion Noir on news channels defending the 2A community. What has it accomplished? I appreciate his efforts, but did that stop anything?

Just be a wolf in sheeps clothing. Don’t worry, the liberals won’t be coming to your door asking for guns because they won’t have any. Ban whatever you want because I’m not giving it up. Your unconstitutional laws have gone too far.

Here you all go.

Sir or ma’am,

I am writing to you regarding the recent conversation about guns and gun control that has been occurring. I believe that there are several misconceptions as well as some deliberate misinformation that have been propagated lately about the vast majority of guns and gun owners.

I am a gun owner and I have many of the same goals and frustrations that you do. I wonder why these killers keep on perpetrating their evil actions in spite of the vast amount of laws already on the books that are supposed to keep them from doing so. I want to make sure that the evil and unstable people in our society aren’t able to obtain weapons with which they can carry out their demented acts. However, I am alarmed when I see so many public figures who have little to no knowledge about firearms or their owners begin to push so called solutions, such as universal background checks and red flag laws that would do little to advance our mutual goals, and would do much to remove the sacred freedoms that all of us law abiding gun owners are entitled to enjoy.

What many don’t understand is that we are your neighbors, and your friends. We are the black man in the 1960’s South who goes to sleep every night afraid of the KKK, but who feels a little better knowing that his pistol is on his nightstand, and who dream of the day when the local police will finally recognize our right to carry a gun just like our white neighbors. We are the inner city mom who is trying to raise her children to be honorable people, but keeps a shotgun behind the door just in case the unthinkable happens. We are the LGBTQ etc. people who own a firearm to make sure that people have to recognize our inalienable rights just like those of everyone else. We are the 110 lb woman who has no other hope of fighting off the rapist or estranged boyfriend who wants to violate our freedom in the worst way. We are people who get together on the weekend with our ARs for a competition in much the same way as folks get together to go drag racing or for golf. We are the people who own our ARs for hunting because we like to eat fresh, organic meat that we have responsibly sourced ourselves. We are the rancher who keeps his AK-47 behind his truck seat for when he sees a coyote trying to eat a newborn calf while it mother lays there weak and powerless to defend it. We are people whose ownership of a firearm means that if we ever see someone violating one of your rights, such as the freedom of speech, or freedom of the press, in the last resort we will stand with you to protect your freedom. We are truly your best defense, even if you don’t see it because we generally don’t talk about it much. Maybe that needs to change.

We share many of the same hopes and goals. We want our kids to be safe. We want to help those who are struggling with life, instead of leaving them on their own until they take the route of violence because their sick mind can conceive of no other. We want to keep our fellow Americans and their freedom to live their lives in peace safe from all harm. And in all truth, that is really why we own guns to begin with. We own them so that no matter what happens no one has the ability to take life, liberty, or happiness from us, our loved ones, and our family. That is why we will never surrender our guns to the government just because they promise to keep us safe. They can’t do that now, and they never have been able to throughout all history. We learned from the lesson of the Native Americans who were disarmed and then shot or sent to a desolate reservation where there was no hope of a better life, and who lived out their days stripped of honor, dignity, and their most basic human rights. We acknowledge that there is no perfect answer that solves all of our society’s problems. We need to restore our communities where we take care of each other on a personal level. At the end of the day, we believe that the only acceptable answer is one that leaves us with our dignity, property, God-given rights, and our sacred freedoms. Because if we lose these, so do you. Because, in the end, we are all Americans.

It is designed to be a base letter that can be modified to the desires of the sender. I did not pose a solution because there is a difference of opinion here as to what that should look like.
    Thus, this letter can be used by all with minor variations and more folks will be likely to use it instead of rejecting it because it poses an idea they disagree with.

It's as if your neighbor said, "We have a problem that you can still have kids with your wife"
    "We propose a solution in which we cut your balls off."

When the problem is not an actual problem, but just something that someone doesn't like you having the right to do, you offering a solution is not the answer.
    The answer is to humanize yourself to the other person instead of debating which solution to the problem of you and your wife being able to have kids is the appropriate one.
    Saying fuck off to the neighbor is not going to win you any brownie points either.

Matt Bracken already did this long ago. He quite eloquently wrote it to the civil servants versus the politicos. That was a much better approach as the politicos don't give a flying fuck whether you, I or the civil servants that carry out their treasonous orders are shot and killed.

Dear Mr. Security Agent

The imagery is powerful and they pull no punches...What they need are cold, sobering facts. My experience is if you spit in their face, they back down...90% of the time. Raise your voice, yell in their face. Do not accept the language they use. Call them Communists repeatedly. Be as fucking rude as possible...then laugh in their face. You see there is a reality. Threat of hurting them using the look on your face scares the shit out of them. They know they cannot combat rage and violence.

The rage and violence is what the left can't figure out. Will we or won't we. The reality that the "enemy", including the Government, has to come to realize is that an armed conflict will occur IF confiscation begins. I mean REAL confiscation in terms of entire classes of weapons being made illegal to own. The Government and the other intelligentsia knows the reality...One side knows how to shoot, will shoot and probably has a trillion rounds. The other side has safe spaces, crying closets and is confused about which bathroom to use. Now tell me, how do do the ruling forces think that’s going to end?”

Everyone knows that it is easier to LIMIT our rights than to try and confiscate weapons. If the left SCREAMS about the Government not doing enough which happens after every incident, so what. The ruling class understands that repressing ignorant crybabies is a much safer venture than repressing pissed off, highly armed, American freemen. Even if only 5% of gun owners revolt....that is ~5 million people. The government is scared shitless. You want a river of blood...let's dance.

The Government also knows that guns are the least of their worries. Lot's of knowledge out there as applied to chemistry. Lot's of access to the ingredients required to make a hell of a mess.

I believe that resistance is key. People with guns don’t have to listen to people without guns.

Look at it this way,

The deplorable tag was important, once we starting spinning the terms to mean, everyone who did not vote with the Democrats, it became a huge negative for them.

So by them attacking every gun owner as being part of the problem, this is spinning the back to the individual and not the politics. You are not disparaging just the NRA but everyday Americans

that to me is the message to put out there right now, they are labeling us with a new slur, much like Deplorable

Alright, great start @MK20 @lowlight but now we need to weave in some facts from the FBI and PEW research that I provided earlier on that points out so called assault weapons account for .000000126% of deaths in this country per year. That’s statistically nothing.

Again, not trying to downplay anyone affected but it’s absolutely crazy to me to go to such extremes to make such a small difference in the overall scheme of things. Then again, these people live in the extremes.

I dunno do what you all want but I think it’s going to take a massive marketing scheme to turn things around in our favor. That means constant social media blasting portraying gun owners in a positive light, videos being run 24/7, letters and calls being made to reps 24/7 etc. The forefathers were right, Liberty is there if you are willing to fight for it, if not, it will fade away. Collectively, gun owners have been sitting on their loins way too long or have been trying this grey man crap out and hiding stuff for far too long! It’s time for us to be loud and clear.

Word on the morning radio show I listen to had a clip where Donald Trump said some form of gun control legislation is imminent. That said, sounds like he is waffling again. We may already be too late and despite what anyone thinks, the gov has gotten so big that they can control you. They can control your job, your bank accounts, every personal possession you own, etc. if they wanted to pass something and punish those that did not follow the law they could literally make you feel like jail time might be better than what they do to you. You may not go to jail but in short order that may seem like a picnic. I hate to say it but this battle probably should have been fought long ago. People aren’t going to start shooting people over this, it’s just not going to happen. This isn’t the 1770’s. Oh, and that doesn’t mean I have given up, just that I’m down about the entire situation.

Last edited:
    I agree that that grey man crap is not the path forward.

Hide a few guns in case they red flag you if you are worried about that and then start advocating for our rights.

We need everyone on board right now.

I agree that that grey man crap is not the path forward.

Hide a few guns in case they red flag you if you are worried about that and then start advocating for our rights.

We need everyone on board right now.

It’s probably already too late. I really hope not but I really don’t see people doing much actual fighting to keep these things. Humans like easy. Given the choice, most people will pick a house, football, fat bellies, their internet and so on over their AR. What is really going to suck is if people don’t actually fight there will be a lot of people losing a lot and I mean a lot of money. Collections will fall by 60-70% for some people. Every scope, accessory, round of ammo etc. will be useless and they ain’t going to pay shit for it. Businesses going to take huge losses and close up. Lots of people who work in these industries will be without a job, etc.

Yeah. It was probably already too late in 1775 too when they only had to go up against the strongest military in the world with some second line weapons, squirrel guns, and a few cannon all while being chronically short of powder.

It is most definitely too late for us to expect our strong stand and open and continued advocacy to do anything.

It’s probably already too late. I really hope not but I really don’t see people doing much actual fighting to keep these things. Humans like easy. Given the choice, most people will pick a house, football, fat bellies, their internet and so on over their AR. What is really going to suck is if people don’t actually fight there will be a lot of people losing a lot and I mean a lot of money. Collections will fall by 60-70% for some people. Every scope, accessory, round of ammo etc. will be useless and they ain’t going to pay shit for it. Businesses going to take huge losses and close up. Lots of people who work in these industries will be without a job, etc.
    I'm not going to give up hope but I think it's a matter of time before the US experiments with changing things like the private ownership of Firearms and even certain Rights. The World is changing in Ways no one really predicted and with those changes come a plethora of broken things that need fixed....if we limit Firearm possession or ban it thousands will lose a lot of investment and jobs. It'll be the same when they go to a single payer healthcare....think of the tens of thousands that sell insurance or do the paperwork and billing let alone the folks who work for the insurance companies that will disappear overnight.

Not to get off track but "The Good Old Days" and the old Ways are gone and not practical anymore. We need to find a Way to keep Firearms in a world that is changing at an exponential rate. I fear the US and the world is gonna experiment by throwing babies out with bathwater and all we can do as shooters is keep bringing it up and not giving up.

VooDoo

Uh, trust me, firearms are just as relevant today as before. Travel outside of the us and take a look around at all the people who want to kill Americans.

It’s just that the leftists don’t realize that.

We know that but there are becoming more of them and less of US. I have a duty to defend myself and my Family - no one else is responsible for our safety when some guy kicks the door in at 3am looking for food, money, weapons, drugs. I have to survive. Someone can come along later and chalk me in white and start a manhunt to bring the perp to justice but my need is *now* not in 10 minutes.

We all know this but there are more and more people who don't get it. They feel that someone else needs to keep them safe and they do not have what it takes to defend their lives nor the tools to do that if they needed them. We have to find a way to prevail upon these people who see guns as killing machines to see things plainly and clearly.

Screaming at them, threatening them, calling them names (I know a lot of Rightists/Republicans who want our guns as well!) will not get them to see our perspective. We have to find a dialog that makes them understand our duty to protect ourselves and our families. Nothing takes precedence over this concept - my life is my responsibility to defend. My Mom needs me. My Wife needs me and my income....I have Nieces and Nephews and Brothers and Sisters that depend on me. I can't trust for someone else to keep me safe.

VooDoo