• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold 1.1-8x24 Mark 8 CQBSS

CSTactical

Sniper's Hide Vendor
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    www.cstactical.com
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e0x80c1jT0o"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e0x80c1jT0o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

M-TMR Illum. @ 1.1x
    5332645077_fe008a08c5_z.jpg

M-TMR @ 1.1x
    5333260684_c176bcf46e_z.jpg

M-TMR Illum. @ 4x:
    5333260646_023ca58f51_z.jpg

M-TMR @ 4x
    5333260602_333ea5fc56_z.jpg

M-TMR Illum. @ 8x:
    5333260752_0726c09b77_z.jpg

M-TMR @ 8x:
    5333260724_fe7e10e2eb_z.jpg

Re: Leupold 1.1-8x24 Mark 8 CQBSS

I like the features but they completely missed the market with the price. $4k is insane.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HKSR9T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the features but they completely missed the market with the price. $4k is insane.

</div></div>

Is this confirmed? I can't believe this because they would have to be out of their minds to charge more than S&B and Premier, 2 companies they can't even come close to touching quality-wise.

The features, in and of themselves, don't look too bad (every scope has its ups and downs), but what about the range report, Mike?

Any thoughts/impressions/etc. so far on the performance of the scope? It had better be spot-freakin'-on in every respect for the price tag that Leupold seems to be commanding for these units!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this confirmed? I can't believe this because they would have to be out of their minds to charge more than S&B and Premier, 2 companies they can't even come close to touching quality-wise. </div></div>

Yes...and yes (its confirmed and the folks at Leupy are "out of their minds")!

http://www.cstactical.com/MARK-4-MR/T-CQ...rk-8-CQBSS.html

Scope looks nice, for 4K hell no. I would get a Horus before spending 4k for that. IOR would be my first choice at a big savings. The scope mount looks like a Chicom 50.00 Leapers mount. In fact, thats more than a full blown S&B level or Hensoldt scope. Sheesh Leupold has lost their corporate mind.

The most upsetting part will be if they land a government contract with this damn thing. Then I guess we'll all be paying Leupy's price . . .

P.S. - I hate the open crosshair design.

5267466154_7aea3b09fe_z.jpg

$4,000 is Highway Robbery.

I was thinking about the S & B, Premier in that power range. the Vortex Raxor etc. That number is beyond the pale.

They are f'in crazy. Hope they have a lot of military orders because I can't see anyone paying 4K for a 1.1 to 8.

Maybe I looked at the video rather fast but when lit at 8x the crosshairs have a big gap in the center. I would seem that should be the other way around. I agree Leupys are nice but not 4K nice that's for sure.

I hope they DON'T get a mil-contract, WE PAY for it.
    Congress used to get upset over $95,000 toilet seats on planes, I'd hope they will get upset over $4,000 scopes that should cost $2500. But maybe no one cares anymore.....

I was jazzed watching Mikes video review but got concerned when there was no discussion of retail price. A quick search found $3995
    shocked.gif
    This is insane. Just because they can price their stuff like the top tier guys doesnt mean they are one. I guess I am still looking for an optic for my RFB. Maybe the Vortex 1-4x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tiger...should cost 2500? That scope should cost maybe 1495.00. </div></div>

I was being generous! $1495 it is
    smile.gif

Mike, thanks for the presentation and detailed overview.
    It's too bad that the scope seems wildly overpriced.

On a technical note, I can see issues with the locking turrets in very
    dusty conditions, it appears that there is a substantial amount of grease
    in there and they need to come together to unlock, throw some fine sand in
    there..... and it will no doubt be very gritty. Maybe Leupold should of taken
    a que from Lexus and created a different brand for such a premium item.
    I think many people would not buy a $65000 Toyota, but have no issue with
    a same priced Lexus.

The "market" is the US Goverment, of course, and you can imagine that Leupold will discount that price slightly for quantity buys. It's helps their bottom line when the unit price is $4k to start.

I saw and handled this scope at SHOT, but it had a Horus reticle and (I thought) a red dot in the center at low magnifications. Without the red dot, I would have no interest in this scope, since there are better options at a much smaller price point -- but Leupold isn't thinking of yours truly.

Regardless of price, if these start to show up in AP photos it will be a requisite accoutrement for every window licker with a pristine AR15 and a closet full of Multi Cam.

Good luck with sales Mike, I hope the margin is a monster and there are no minimums to move.

Good luck

Wow, so they ditched the Horus reticle with the red dot available at low magnification and managed to keep the price at the $4000 mark. I sure am glad I am not the only one who felt Leupold went batshit crazy when they priced this thing. That reticle is not bad although I am not a fan of the open center design concept. Would prefer a dot like the MP-8 in my IOR. Still wondering why you'd have ranging information out to 1200 meters on the reticle, but I assume its for observation purposes as I sure as shit wouldn't be engaging anything at 1200m on 8x.

I really like the idea of a 1-8 scope especially on something like an SPR or the MWS. I have always considered mag power the same as having a gun...better to have and not need than to need and not have. I am seriously hoping that IOR upgrades their 1.5-8 with a FFP reticle of the MP-8 variety maybe with a horseshoe on for close range stuff, external .1 mrad knobs and price it in the $1600-1800 price range. At that price I'd take the 1.5 at the low end.

Didn't mean to hijack...
    Great job on the review. Love the close ups of the items you were discussing.

I have handled this scope on a 16" LaRue OBR. It had a Horus reticle and it was AWESOME. Glass wasn't as good as my S&B Short Dot, but comparable to NF. The price is ridiculous of course. It is being used by the military, that is where all of the production was going, may explain the pricing as well. I truly believe a 1-8x on a 16" gas gun is the way to go. A Horus reticle just makes it even faster.

It will be interesting to see how the S&B, Premier, Leupold 1-8x all shake out and what others will come of this as well.

With so many other high quality options available for less quan, only the hardest core Leupy fanboys would put a title lean on their truck to come up with the cash in order to shell out $4k for a rig like this.

Seems like a silly marketing decision to me, and I don't know their profit margins or who they're trying to reach with this offering, or if the scope is really $2k+ better than a comparable USO, PR, NF, Vortex etc.

In the final analysis, what the hell do I know? I'm only in the market for a quality low-mag AR optic...

WOW… Thanks for all the feedback!!!

We will be doing a range review soon I hope.

I know $4k is a lot. I know the MIL has about 35 units they are running and getting more.

Mike @ CST

If the military only has 35 units it sounds like they have not made a decision yet.
    Selling price will surely go down if they do not sign up for a significant quantity.

Leupold....CQB.....$4000?

Seems reasonable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vtb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the horus reticle with dot at 1.1x for $4k? </div></div>

He's dead Jim.

The now-MIA red dot was an important feature, IMO. How can the CQBSS be functionally competitive with the PR and S&B?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW&#133; Thanks for all the feedback!!!

We will be doing a range review soon I hope.

I know $4k is a lot. I know the MIL has about 35 units they are running and getting more.

Mike @ CST
    </div></div>
    Not picking on anybody but just doing math.
    New hot-rodded Leupy:
    35 scopes x $4,000= $140,000
    1,000 scopes x $4,000= $4,000,000. (4 million dollars)
    100,000 scopes x $4,000= $400,000,000. (400 million dollars)

If buying a nice NF or USO with similar but manageable characteristics;
    35 scopes x $1,500= $52,500
    1,000 scopes x $1,500= $1,500,000. (1.5 million dollars)
    100,000 scopes x $1,500= $150,000,000 (150 million dollars
    Hmmmmmm
    ......Let me think about it.
    No, I think I will pass on the Leupy with the $4,000 price tag.

*If they come up with a scope that pre-programs correct aiming points for all targets based upon wind readings, temps,yardage and it automatically adjust the retical for a correct hit even for a beginner, it would be worth it.

*But if you still have to practice with the $4,000 dollar scope and still have to adjust and read wind and know range then I don't see how it could be THAT much better.

*Let's get this country out of debt.
    I would rather not put one of the states up for hock on the next loan we take from China.
    Just my humble opinion.
    .....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The now-MIA red dot was an important feature, IMO. How can the CQBSS be funtionally competitive with the PR and S&B? </div></div>

This is the crux of it for me as well. The CQBSS was supposed to combine the speed of a red dot at 1x with the reach of an 8x. Selling this version with no red dot and no Horus reticle for $4k is bordering on insane.

Ill wait to see a side by side comparison on the 1x8's, I hope ILYA is going to start one after he finishes his High End Tactical.

That reticle illumination is really bad. They should put a center dot on the reticle and illuminated the center dot as well. Matter of fact, I'd prefer that just the center dot be illuminated. Kind of like the Short Dot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That reticle illumination is really bad. They should put a center dot on the reticle and illuminated the center dot as well. Matter of fact, I'd prefer that just the center dot be illuminated. Kind of like the Short Dot. </div></div>

Thanks for the feedback paulosantos.

Mason @ CST

I will be interesting to see the Leupold reps trying to legitimize this thing at SHOT. I agree with the above that they seem to have completely lost all bearing on reality, thinking that they can make pricing along with and beyond the likes of PR and S&B.

I like everything about the scope, let's wait and see on the price though and hope it comes into a more acceptable range.

I never nocked the scope design in fact would love one on my POF 308 but at a 4k price point they can keep it. I can do about as good for 1/2 that price or better.

S&B's 1-8 Short Dot for $2500 or Leupold's CQBSS for $4000? It's going to be a tough choice!

Great write up. Expensive optic though...wow! For $4k I could get a kickin' NV set up! I suppose there are those however that will $4k to be a bargain. Helluva nice scope though! My only other eyebrow raiser is the weight of that beast.

Mike, do you know how that weighs in with the mount? I apologize if I missed it. Thanks!

H

While price is always a consideration I personally feel that the 1-8 scopes by Premier and S&B are just better products. Granted, the Leupold is available now, I don't see any justification for the price premium over the competitors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While price is always a consideration I personally feel that the 1-8 scopes by Premier and S&B are just better products. Granted, the Leupold is available now, I don't see any justification for the price premium over the competitors. </div></div>

Absolutely, if you can even consider Leupold a competitor against the likes of S&B and Premier. Furthermore the market for the CQBSS and other 1-8 offerings is the 308 OBR market not the AR15 556 market. IMO given the power range and intended use Leupold, S&B and Premier might as well build these scopes with larger objectives to maximize light gathering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone that has used it or just played with the one I have love it. We have sold a few.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Mike,

Do these have a 2nd focal plane red dot like the S&B? Also is the elevation turret have BDC for 77grn like the military model?

When is the horus going to be available in the Leupold? I know Premier went back to work out some issues, when are they bringing their 1x8 back?
    What are the delivery times on the S&B 1x8? How do the 1x8's compare to the March 1x10?
    Hopefully Ilya can do a head to head on these guys and pick a true winner.

CST, guys thanks for the write-up, actually I appreciate all the great info you post. But Leupold has lost me as a customer, 4 grand, no I am sorry thats a little too much, even the March or S&B ain't that expensive. Their name doesn't sell their product anymore, there are too many quality alternatives out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CST, guys thanks for the write-up, actually I appreciate all the great info you post. But Leupold has lost me as a customer, 4 grand, no I am sorry thats a little too much, even the March or S&B ain't that expensive. Their name doesn't sell their product anymore, there are too many quality alternatives out there. </div></div>
    What 1-8 alternatives are out there? I know everyone and their mother is coming out with one of these including IOR but I didn't think anything else was out, hence leupold's steep price. Leupold does offer the horus but it is another $400 or so on top of the TMR 2.